View Single Post
Old 10-27-2013, 06:06 PM   #64
superjen
Swapper of the Month - September 2013

Default Spaghetti Squash with Clam Sauce

I have had a spaghetti squash from my CSA taunting me for two weeks. I am down 10 pounds so did not want to make my stand-by which is laden with lots of fresh mozzarella.

Spaghetti Squash with Clam Sauce

1 medium spaghetti squash, 3 - 3.5 pounds
13 oz canned minced clams
1 T olive oil
1 lg onion, minced (1 cup)
2 t minced garlic
freshly ground pepper (DH believes in pepper so be generous)
1/2 t hot red pepper flakes
1/3 c minced fresh parsley
1 T lemon juice (*I used the juice of a whole, not so juicy, lemon. Maybe 2T)
1 T butter for reheating the squash (or margarine, I suppose but y'all know I believe in butter)
* I served mine with freshly grated parmesan

1. Set squash on a steamer rack in a large pot over a few inches of boiling water. Cover and steam 35 - 40 minutes or until the squash is tender when pressed or pierced with a fork. Set aside to cool. *Note, this was the first time I cooked a spaghetti squash this way and I was not impressed, next time I will cut it in half an microwave it as I usually do.

2. Drain the clams, and save the juice. Set the clams aside.

3. Heat the oil in a skillet, and sauté the onion and garlic for 3 - 5 minutes, or until soft. Season with pepper, add the wine, and cook over medium high heat to reduce the liquid by half.

4. Add the clam juice and red pepper flakes, and cook the mixture to reduce the liquid to about 1/3 c.

6. While sauce is cooking, split the spaghetti squash lengthwise, and scrape out and discard the seeds and dark orange pulp around them. With a fork, "comb" out the pale yellow flesh, working from the cut edges toward the center to produce long spaghetti-like strands. *This is fun!

5. Add the clams, parsley, lemon juice, and more pepper, if desired, to the sauce.

7. Reheat the squash in the microwave with 1 T water and 1 T butter, if necessary.

8. Serve with parmesan, freshly grated.

Credit: Jane Brody's Good Food Book

I have had this cookbook since college and LOVE it even though the "High-Carbohydrate" diet is not en-vogue. This recipe is not high carb or high fat and flat out yummy. Her recipes tend to be low protein, high in complex carbs and veggies but also low fat.