Thread: Hobby SU demos?
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2013, 11:11 AM   #6
basketballmom
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrylin View Post
I'm toying with the idea of just being a hobby demo. I joined with the intent of making it a business but I've since re-enrolled as a full time student. I have a regular group that meets monthly and though my sales aren't through the roof, it has kept me active. I'm thinking I will announce to them that I will give them my 20% off discount to encourage them to buy, but I'm wondering what the downside of that would be. I have more than enough supplies to have them continue to make projects. I'm guessing though the issue might be new products that I just gotta have (and no means to purchase). What am i missing? Any thoughts?
You'll get more answers if you post this on the Demo Forum, but the quick answer would be:
The downside is that if you give them 20% off, you won't have money to pay for catalogues, or any other supplies you might want. You'd be giving away your income, so how would you pay for the supplies they use in club?

Also, if it becomes your habit, then they will expect it, even when you decide that you want to run it as a business again.

Compromise? Give them 10% off, which is really subtracting their shipping from their total. Easy to calculate (since s/h shows up separately) and you're still doing something that you think you want to do.

Or ... wait and see if they still purchase from you. If you have enough sales, you don't need to give extra discounts to get more!

Remember, these are my thoughts. I fall into the "hobby business demo" category. I think I have a business, but the size of it is more "hobbyish" sometimes!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!