Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-26-2013, 07:50 PM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Hobby SU demos?

I'm planning on rejoining SU as a hobby demo. Prior to this, I live in a bigger city, Edmonton, and I had workshops and clubs. I wasn't a really big selling demo, but I sold enough to cover my minimum requirements.

Now I live in a small city in a northern area of Canada. I have been here for almost 6 months and I have met a lot of people. However, Gnoss a lot have expressed interest in SU. I know that if I post a few workshops, I can get some of my friends to come, but not enough to cover requirements of minimums. I am fine with this, mainly because I miss SU And how much I personally enjoyed making cards.

Anyway, I just want to know those who are hobby demos do it. LOL. :-) I know we have to cover our own minimums, but it is hard for me to stop them paying all that money by myself. Granted, the closest craft store is almost 2 hours away.

I just want to learn some tips and tricks of other hobby demos. :-) Maybe one day I can go back to being more than a hobby demo, but right now my career is starting to take off and I plan on getting my garden ready so being more than a hobby demo is not feasible.

Care to share some hints on being a successful hobby demo?

Last edited by heatherla; 02-26-2013 at 07:54 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2013, 09:14 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A few tips based on my experience over the last 6 months... Find a good upline, especially if she has others on the team (your sidelines). I have found it helpful to have regular swaps at our team meetings, because then I feel like I can show off the swap cards using sets I might not own and don't feel obligated to buy it all myself.

Think about ways you can promote online - Pinterest, blogs, Facebook, Twitter, Craigslist, meetup.com events, or just advertising locally (putting signs up in libraries or community event boards) as a way of finding new customers.

You can try holding a club to see if you can get regular sales that way. Also, check out MyPaperPumpkin.com - it's a monthly SU kit subscription. If you have a few people sign up for it listing you as their demo, it will help with your sales without you having to do much work.

Don't forget to join the SCS SU Demo Forums once you get signed up again! Lots of of discussion over there which is a great way to pick up tips and ask questions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2013, 02:58 AM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 587 Likes on 240 Posts

I have been a hobby demo for years, after a few years of doing pretty well on the business demo side. I do spend a lot of my own money but twice a year, Holiday Mini and Sell-a-bration, I take catalogs and samples to three people I know will order. If there is a good promotion other than those times, I shoot them a flyer.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2013, 07:11 AM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm toying with the idea of just being a hobby demo. I joined with the intent of making it a business but I've since re-enrolled as a full time student. I have a regular group that meets monthly and though my sales aren't through the roof, it has kept me active. I'm thinking I will announce to them that I will give them my 20% off discount to encourage them to buy, but I'm wondering what the downside of that would be. I have more than enough supplies to have them continue to make projects. I'm guessing though the issue might be new products that I just gotta have (and no means to purchase). What am i missing? Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2013, 08:52 AM   #5  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Hobby Demo, as I understand it, is someone that is buying for themselves or maybe just a couple of customers, a hobby demo might not do workshop or classes. If you can do this, great! Add one or two customers that might help you....wonderful!!!!!

I would recommend getting the most "bang" for your buck....shop the sales! Right now they have the 25% off stamp sale! (plus your demo discount!!!) and they have Thursday deals for one day only. These are GREAT times to buy your items! Also Sale-a-bration is coming up!!! I do find that I spend less on my own crafting by sticking with one company for my cardstock, ribbon, buttons, brads and, ink.......It all matches! I'm not stuck with a bunch of ribbon that I can't use on anything!
Whatever you decide, good luck!!! And remember to join the demo side of this board if you join!!! Lots of inspiration!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2013, 11:11 AM   #6  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CobrylinView Post
I'm toying with the idea of just being a hobby demo. I joined with the intent of making it a business but I've since re-enrolled as a full time student. I have a regular group that meets monthly and though my sales aren't through the roof, it has kept me active. I'm thinking I will announce to them that I will give them my 20% off discount to encourage them to buy, but I'm wondering what the downside of that would be. I have more than enough supplies to have them continue to make projects. I'm guessing though the issue might be new products that I just gotta have (and no means to purchase). What am i missing? Any thoughts?
You'll get more answers if you post this on the Demo Forum, but the quick answer would be:
The downside is that if you give them 20% off, you won't have money to pay for catalogues, or any other supplies you might want. You'd be giving away your income, so how would you pay for the supplies they use in club?

Also, if it becomes your habit, then they will expect it, even when you decide that you want to run it as a business again.

Compromise? Give them 10% off, which is really subtracting their shipping from their total. Easy to calculate (since s/h shows up separately) and you're still doing something that you think you want to do.

Or ... wait and see if they still purchase from you. If you have enough sales, you don't need to give extra discounts to get more!

Remember, these are my thoughts. I fall into the "hobby business demo" category. I think I have a business, but the size of it is more "hobbyish" sometimes!
Reply With Quote Likes