View Single Post
Old 10-22-2013, 06:57 PM   #8958
PH in VA
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom

So the reason why I missed hearing Farquaad's name at Saturday's competition?

The competition was at JMU, which is where ODS has gone for concert band camp the last two summers. Our band teacher graduated from JMU and is a former drum major for the JMU Marching Royal Dukes. She also has been "dorm mother" for concert band camp the last two years. The JMU Director of Bands conducts the concert band at band camp. Last summer, when we were walking to the car at the end of camp, ODS stopped to thank Dr. Director of Bands for his work with the camp, and they chatted about how ODS wants to go to JMU, and that sort of thing.

So anyway, DH had moved a few rows away from me in the stadium because we had some really rude talkers close by to the right of us and he was planning to record the performance. (I actually went over during our performance and asked the rude people to please keep their conversation to a whisper. Some people. Sheesh.)

Standing just a few feet to my left was Dr. Director of Bands. Since he knows our band teacher pretty well, I'm sure he was wanting to pay close attention to our band.

So at the end of the performance, I was applauding our band, and Dr. DOB came a bit closer and said, "You must be a proud parent from that band." I told him yes, that both my sons were in the band. As we were chatting, the announcer was going through the "the marching band is under the leadership of..." script and announced ODS's name, and I broke off the conversation to clap a lot for him, LOL. Then I turned back to Dr. DOB and grinned and said, "Sorry, that was my son they announced." He must not have been paying attention to the announcer because he asked which position and what my son's name was. So I told him ODS's name and that he was woodwinds section leader.

And Dr. DOB said, "Oh, yes, clarinet, right? From summer band camp?"

Dr. DOB remembered ODS. Which is a good thing.

Last edited by PH in VA; 10-22-2013 at 07:51 PM.. Reason: clarification
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!