View Single Post
Old 10-22-2013, 05:59 PM   #8957
PH in VA
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom

From the "this shouldn't be funny, but it kind of is" files:

At each of the marching band's performances this season, the names of everyone with a leadership position are announced. The announcement is pretty much the same script every week. It starts off with the band teacher's name and her assistant directors, then names ODS as woodwinds section leader, and the girl with seniority as woodwinds drill sergeant, then the section leaders & drill sergeant for brass, and eventually gets to naming Farquaad as drumline captain.

Only thing is, Farquaad's last name keeps getting mispronounced. Out of all the performances this year, only 2 people have said it correctly. (One of them was our assistant principal, who still keeps close ties to the band because he was the band teacher before he was made AP.)

At the first home game, I was sitting with another band mom, and when we heard the regular football game announcer mispronounce Farquaad's name during the pregame show we just looked at each other and went "WHAT?!?" and couldn't help but laugh. And nobody corrected the announcer before the halftime show... or before the other games this season. Except for last week, the regular announcer wasn't there. I don't recall the names being announced at pregame, but the assistant principal did the band's announcing at halftime.

The announcers at the competitions have mostly used the same mispronunciation as the football announcer. The lady at one comp did say it correctly. I missed hearing it at Saturday's competition but that's another story.

In defense of all the announcers, it doesn't help that looking at the spelling of Farquaad's last name, it reasonably could rhyme with three different words in the English language. The announcers just tend to keep choosing the wrong one to rhyme it with.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!