View Single Post
Old 10-13-2013, 05:00 PM   #66
superjen
Swapper of the Month - September 2013

Default Last of the summer tomatoes pasta

Don't be fooled by the simple ingredients or lack of complexity. I made this for dinner tonight becuase it was what I had on hand and it was delicious. I did use fresh-made pasta (frozen from a previous farmer's market purchase) but did not have have a shallot so pretended in was not in the recipe. Source: Cooks Illustrated Cookbook.

1 shallot, sliced thin
1/4 c olive oil
2 lbs cherry tomatoes, halved
3 large garlic cloves, sliced thin
1 T balsamic vinegar
1 1/2 t sugar or to taste (honestly, home grown tomatoes need NO sugar)
Salt
1/4 t red pepper flakes
1/4 t pepper
1 pound penne (I used linguine, see above)
1/4 c coarsely chopped fresh basil
2 oz Parmesan, grated (1 cup)

1. Adjust oven rack to middle and preheat to 350. Toss shallot with 1 t oil in bowl. In separate bowl, gently toss tomatoes with remaining oil, garlic, veingar, sugar (if using), 1/2 t salt, pepper flakes and pepper. Spread tomatoe mixture in even layer on rimmed baking sheet, scatter shallot over tomatoes and roast until edges of shallot begin to brown and toamto skins are slightly shriveled, 35 - 40 minutes. Do not stir tomatoes while roasting. Cool for 5 - 10 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, bring 4 quarts water to boil in large pot. Add pasta and 1 T salt and cook until al dente. Reserve 1/2 c cooking water then drain pasta and return it to pot. Using rubber spatula, scrape tomato mixture into pot on top of pasta. Add basil and toss to combine. Add reseverd cooking water as need to adjust consistency. Serve immediately, passing the parmesan.