View Single Post
Old 10-12-2013, 09:36 AM   #60
Cook22
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Tickle a Teapotter Coordinator

Default Parmesan & Rosemary Focaccia

We're having this for our supper tonight along with some slow-cooked tomatoes with herbs and olive oil. I just picked a lot today to save them now the weather has turned cold.
It's also lovely with herby bean dishes .

Sorry I can't convert the grated parmesan into volume for you!

1/4 oz dried yeast
1/2 teaspoon sugar or honey
1 1/4 cups lukewarm water
2 tablespoons good fruity olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped FRESH rosemary
2 1/2 cups strong white flour
4 ounces freshly grated Parmesan
1/2 teaspoon coarse or rock salt.

If you're using instant yeast follow the instructions. For regular dried yeast (or fresh if you can get it!) dissolve it in the warm water with the honey or sugar, and leave for ten minutes or so till it's active.

Put the yeast and water in a large bowl and add the salt, 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, the rosemary, half the Parmesan and about half the flour. Mix well and continue adding the rest of the flour till you get a soft dough. Knead with a mixer or by hand till smooth and elastic.
Put in a large oiled bowl, cover and allow to rise till doubled in volume.
Knock the dough down and place it on a large oiled baking sheet. With your hands, press out to form a large oval approx 16" x 12". Cover and leave to rise for half an hour or so in a warm place.
Brush gently with the remaining olive oil and sprinkle with the remaining half of the Parmesan and some rock salt.
If you like, you can slash the surface or just dimple it a bit with your fingers.
Bake for about 35 minutes in a hot oven - Gas 6, 200C, 400F.
It should be golden brown on top and sound hollow when you tap the bottom.
Cool for just a few minutes before serving.

(This is from "From Anna's Kitchen" by Anna Thomas. I usually add the sprinkled Parmesan on top about halfway through the cooking time rather than at the start.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!