Challenge Title: It's a Cover-Up
Hostess: Sabrina, aka Cook22
Date: Tuesday, October 8th, 2013
Sadly I have a couple of friends fighting the fight against breast cancer this year.
But like my Chicken SOUP challenge last year, my It's a Cover-Up
challenge is inspired by a dear friend who won the fight against breast cancer but lost the battle to secondaries some years ago.
When she was staying with us after her operation, it was only a month or so till her sister's wedding. She was going to be the only bridesmaid, and they had chosen a lovely dress long before cancer reared its ugly head. M was a bit self-conscious about the scar showing, since it was a strappy floral dress. So we went together to the local fabric shop and picked out some lovely cream linen and a pattern for a neat little bolero jacket which I made for her.
She wore it for the service and the photos - but maybe the best thing of all was that as the day wore on she was comfortable and relaxed enough to take it off. It was there for her when she needed the psychological "cover" it gave her, though.
So my challenge is to make a card with a hidden message (or image) which you can uncover by opening a flap
or swinging a hinged tag or panel
- not just opening the card
Options for making a swinging tag are to use a brad or an eyelet to attach it to the card front, or ribbon as in KelliJo's super sample.
Because the little jacket I made for my friend was sewn - you get extra cyber-points for using real stitching on your card
- but this is totally optional. It doesn't even have to be machine sewing - anything that uses a needle and thread or floss is good for a virtual fresh-baked chocolate chip cookie from me
VIEW THE GALLERY FOR THIS CHALLENGE HERE
View the entire Hope You Can Cling To Gallery HERE
View the Hope You Can Cling To Master Challenge Thread HERE
1. All Hope You Can Cling To Challenge Entries must be uploaded to the Hope You Can Cling To Gallery, with the specific challenge keyword, no later than November 7th, 2013 at 12:00 Noon Central Time to be eligible for our fabulous prizes! Post a link to your entry in this thread.
2. You may not combine HYCCT challenges, but you are welcome to create multiple cards for each challenge.
3. Please remember to put in the correct keyword when uploading your image. Copying and pasting the challenge keyword is recommended to avoid typos.
4. Please package all challenge entries with an envelope, protected with a clear plastic bag and mail them to our partner at the UT MD Anderson Cancer Center to benefit patients being treated for breast cancer and their family. We would like for them to receive cards throughout the month of October, but we understand if you'd like to mail all your cards at once.
5. Since these cards will be used by visitors for patients, most should be blank inside, but feel free to send cards with messages of hope for the patients in addition to your challenge cards!
The Department of Volunteer Services – Unit 115
Attn: Maggi Suttles
UT MD Anderson Cancer Center
1515 Holcombe Boulevard
Houston, TX 77030
(Please note - because MD Anderson is part of the State of Texas, they ask that no religious sentiments be used on cards sent to the Cancer Center)
Thank you for participating in this card drive!
Thanks to my wonderful sample makers I have some super-inspiring ideas for you! But if you still need more inspiration or ideas, some of the other hostesses have already uploaded fab cards which you can check out by clicking on the gallery link
- that's the green link above!