Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-09-2013, 04:15 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do you store your ink?

I have a lot of ink (100+ full-sized pads). Storing them is a challenge. I'm not sure of the best way to even approach it:
#1 in what do i store them?
#2 by color or by type (dye, chalk, pigment)
#3 what about extras - do i keep my reinkers with their matching ink, or grouped together elsewhere? (same with cat's eyes, spots, markers, etc.)

As it is, they are poorly organized. And, at least in my world, poorly organized means poorly (rarely) used. I keep using the 2-3 I know where/what they are; the others just sit. What a waste, right?

How do you do it?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2013, 06:09 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 288 Likes on 114 Posts

I keep mine grouped by manufacturer, alphabetically, because that's how my brain works. I've made reference sheets for each, so I know what I have and can compare similar colors to see which one I need for any given project. Right now they are (mostly) in a cassette tape spinner I found at a thrift store, but the SU! pads don't sit very well in it, so I need to re-think those. I only have a handfull of spots and cat's eyes, so they just sit on top. I don't have a lot of reinkers yet, either, so I have them in one of my drawers. I may get ambitious some time in the near future and either build a unit for all of them, or break down and buy one from Stamper Storage or something...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2013, 07:48 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I keep mine grouped by manufacturer, alphabetically, because that's how my brain works. I've made reference sheets for each, so I know what I have and can compare similar colors to see which one I need for any given project. Right now they are (mostly) in a cassette tape spinner I found at a thrift store, but the SU! pads don't sit very well in it, so I need to re-think those. I only have a handfull of spots and cat's eyes, so they just sit on top. I don't have a lot of reinkers yet, either, so I have them in one of my drawers. I may get ambitious some time in the near future and either build a unit for all of them, or break down and buy one from Stamper Storage or something...
See? Now I would never have thought of storing by mfg - fresh idea. I tried the cassette holder too - and found it didn't work for me b/c of size. TFS - appreciate the input.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2013, 11:18 AM   #4  
Kookie Creator

Right now I have mine in a 3 drawer sterile container. Separate drawer for Stampin Up, Stazon/Veramark and the third has speciality type pads. Spots,cats eyes and teardrops are in a small metal bucket on my desk. This works ok but I am also looking for a new way to store them. I tried the cassette holder but it took valuable space and I really didn't like it. Thanks for posting, hoping to get some new ideas.
Kathy T
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2013, 11:20 AM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

I have mine grouped together by color in a 3-drawer (plastic) bin underneath my craft table. The little cat's eye & memento ink pads are in a shoe box that sits on top of that 3-drawer bin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2013, 03:52 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 288 Likes on 114 Posts

This is what I want to do eventually for all of my inks so that they're accessible but I don't have to look at them all the time... Storage in a sideways drawer

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2013, 03:54 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 499 Likes on 221 Posts

Neat idea, Sue!

Mine are "by manufacturer"...kind of.

My craft inks are together, which means SU craft and versamark inks. That's because they are almost always used with embossing powder, and they are near my heat gun and ep.

My SU inks are my mainstay, so they are together.

When I use Distress inks, they are never mixed with other inks, so they have their own drawer.

Same with my Versamagic, which I find I don't use much.

So, I guess I would say that I keep them separate by type of ink because of the use and the fact that I wouldn't mix the types of ink very often.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2013, 12:54 PM   #8  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

By maufacuturer in ROYGBIV order upside down (except SU!) in Organize More Ink/Reinker Organizers or in deep ArtBins (without reinkers) that have dividers in them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2013, 05:23 PM   #9  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

This is what I want to do eventually for all of my inks so that they're accessible but I don't have to look at them all the time... Storage in a sideways drawer
Pure genius. I stand in awe. ;-)
Dea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2013, 05:32 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 167 Likes on 126 Posts

Quote:

I agree genius
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2013, 04:19 AM   #11  
Forum Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm lucky in that I have a wonderful son who made me my SU stamp pad rack. I gave him the measurements and he cut them out of acrylic with his laser cutter.

All other pads are stored in OrganizeMore.com racks by manufacturer. My cube inks are stored by color in drawers in my best products cabinet.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you store your ink?-dscn1383.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2013, 05:48 AM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just checked out organizemore.com. Love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2013, 06:32 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought the large Stampin Storage that holds my Tim Holtz markers, reinkers and markers. I also have Versafine and Memento inks there. My Stampin Up inks are in the revolving holder but there is not enough room for refills or markers. I need another Stampin Storage for them. I also store by manufacturer and alphabetically.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2013, 08:58 AM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

i have mine by color since that is usually where i start. I have an old dresser I am using for storage. I filled shallow but wide drawers with various size drawer organizer bins and have each color in a bin so I can take it out to my craft desk. I also have swatch sheets I keep at my desk so that I hopefully avoid dragging out every bin and make a mess!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2013, 02:41 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 242 Likes on 130 Posts

I store mine in shallow drawers that my husband built as I don't have room on my worktable. I store by type and by ROYGBIV. All the pigment inks (Colorbox predominately, are together). One drawer has metallics which include Opalites and another holds the colors in rows by ROYGBIV. Reinkers are in a third drawer. Dye inks (SU) are in in drawers by ROYGBIV because I have so many more---Neutrals in one drawer, Yellows/Oranges in one drawer, Pinks/Reds, Purples, Blues, and Greens each have a drawer. Reinkers take up 2 drawers, but are arranged in the same color manner. All my markers are in one drawer in little divisions I made so they can be ROYGBIV as well. I seldom color with markers, but when I do, they are easily grabbed. I have a swatch book with paper, ink, markers etc. at my desk, so I know what the color looks like at a glance. I got rid of all my Distress Inks and Adirondack Inks as I found I just didn't use all the varieties. I have a few CTMH that match some paper I have from way back when it was DOTS. When I use up the white core paper that matches, I will get rid of those inks, too. Too many choices is worse than too few, sometimes. I like my system, but my DH built my cabinet before SU changed the pad size. They don't fit as well now as I had them custom sized. About 3 catalogs ago (when the ink formula was changed), I stopped buying any new colors of paper/ink. Just refuse to be forced to buy in that manner. Anyway, I actually have to get up to get an ink pad and put it away, which is a good thing for a sedentary hobby.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2013, 04:56 PM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Ink Storage

I store my "newer" type SU inks in the SU caddy I bought several years ago with the extention and tray. Found another one for $3 at St. Vinny's and store my Tim Holtz, asstd ink pads, Momento etc in that one. My really old SU pads are still in their original boxes by color family. I try to keep the ones in the caddy the same way but since SU changed their families, I can't seem to catch up (same with the card stock). I still use all the retired pads and markers.
I keep all my markers by brand in Crafter's Companion's Ultimate Pen Storage trays. Same problems sorting out current and retired.
Sue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2013, 05:04 PM   #17  
Glitter Queen

Default ink pad storage

I made my own ink pad storage from foam board. I love it, it's light weight and I made it to fit into the space I have perfectly.
I store all my inks together by manufacture and in color order (like ROY G BIV followed by neutrals) Another great thing about making my own is that I can customize it to fit any sized ink pad perfectly and can make it to fit any space. I only have a photo of the S'U ink pad storage right now. See picture attached.
If you are looking for directions, I found mine by doing a google search and looking on You Tube... there are a lot of instructions out there. Just remember to measure twice (or in my case 3 or 4 times) and cut once. The foam board is cheap at the dollar stores and easy to cut with just a regular box cutter.
HTH
Attached Thumbnails
How do you store your ink?-100_0766.jpg   How do you store your ink?-100_0776.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2013, 04:16 AM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 499 Likes on 221 Posts

Amanda, your storage is wonderful! Great job. I'd love to see your storage for your other inks when you get a picture.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2013, 08:27 AM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

Nice job!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2013, 08:32 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 167 Likes on 126 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amanda H.View Post
I made my own ink pad storage from foam board. I love it, it's light weight and I made it to fit into the space I have perfectly.
I store all my inks together by manufacture and in color order (like ROY G BIV followed by neutrals) Another great thing about making my own is that I can customize it to fit any sized ink pad perfectly and can make it to fit any space. I only have a photo of the S'U ink pad storage right now. See picture attached.
If you are looking for directions, I found mine by doing a google search and looking on You Tube... there are a lot of instructions out there. Just remember to measure twice (or in my case 3 or 4 times) and cut once. The foam board is cheap at the dollar stores and easy to cut with just a regular box cutter.
HTH
Stunning!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2013, 07:13 AM   #21  
Glitter Queen

i have my SU! ink pads in DVD racks made by ikea (i found an OLD old thread about the ikea racks here: Check out my new ink pad storage! by Kerilou at Splitcoaststampers). i bought like, 5 of them before they were discontinued. i have a couple that aren't being used, i'm gonna put them in storage for future use. my other inks are stacked in a basket. any reinkers that i have are just in a drawer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2013, 07:19 PM   #22  
Crimping Master

Quote:

I made a proto-type of this from foam board a while back (I thought I was being original at the time but it seems someone else did it before me LOL)

Mine has 3mm foam board for the external case and upright supports and 1.2mm chipboard for shelves to save some space.

The idea does work rather well, especially as I have a book case on top of my desk and sitting at right angles. The shelf/drawer slides out across it.

[IMG]//www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/2441180?&cat=500&ppuser=260841[/IMG]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2013, 11:07 PM   #23  
Crimping Master

OK. That's annoying. My picture didn't show up.

Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

Forgot to add, I have things in like sizes but they are grouped mostly by colour. I don't have a lot though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2013, 05:16 AM   #24  
Forum Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 17 Posts

I store my refill ink in binder boxes. Most of the inks are by color (1 box per color) but some I have so many that they are stored by type (Adirondack, etc.).

I put a strip of Velcro in the box and each bottle has a small piece Velcro. The boxes are stored on a shelf so the top are in an upright position. I've even laid the boxes on their sides and I just make sure the refill lids are screwed on tight so there is no chance of leaking.

I've been using this system for a couple of years and it's working great.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you store your ink?-refills.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2013, 07:36 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

I had mine in 3-drawer Sterilite containers and it wasn't bad because I could pull out an entire drawer if I wanted to. But I still had the ink pads stacked in the drawers so I had to shuffle a little bit to find the ones I wanted.

I really like Organize More units that I have so I can recommend them - they are well-made and relatively lightweight. But for where I wanted my ink pads, those were too tall. So I purchased Stamp 'N Storage organizers instead.

I sort by manufacturer - can't imagine doing it any other way. One is for Distress Inks, one for Versafine/Versamagic full size pads, and one is for Adirondack. Within the storage units, they are sorted somewhat by color but also by those used most. For examples, with the Distress Inks, the blues may be all in one column, but my favorites are at the top. I also have some A muse ink pads in a box under my desk. And one of the desk drawers has the Versamagic dewdrop pads.

I don't keep the reinkers with the pads, partly because I don't use them just to reink - I will also use them for watercolor, so they are kept with other coloring mediums.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2013, 11:20 AM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomView Post
I had mine in 3-drawer Sterilite containers and it wasn't bad because I could pull out an entire drawer if I wanted to. But I still had the ink pads stacked in the drawers so I had to shuffle a little bit to find the ones I wanted.

I really like Organize More units that I have so I can recommend them - they are well-made and relatively lightweight. But for where I wanted my ink pads, those were too tall. So I purchased Stamp 'N Storage organizers instead.

I sort by manufacturer - can't imagine doing it any other way. One is for Distress Inks, one for Versafine/Versamagic full size pads, and one is for Adirondack. Within the storage units, they are sorted somewhat by color but also by those used most. For examples, with the Distress Inks, the blues may be all in one column, but my favorites are at the top. I also have some A muse ink pads in a box under my desk. And one of the desk drawers has the Versamagic dewdrop pads.

I don't keep the reinkers with the pads, partly because I don't use them just to reink - I will also use them for watercolor, so they are kept with other coloring mediums.
Do you have pictures of the Stamp 'N Storage and the Organize More units you use, or a link to a site where I could see what they look like? Thanks so much for sharing your ideas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2013, 11:31 AM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

I just got a new desk and there was some discussion in another thread about minimal supplies and organization, so I did put some photos in my gallery here.

Stampin Up! Gallery: Studio - Page 1 - Cards & More - Splitcoaststampers

The Stamp 'N Storage ink pad holders are on the desk, and the 8-1/2 x 11 cardstock storage from them is in the closet (under the 3-drawer Sterilite units).

I have a few Organize & More pieces, too, that I had used primarily for ribbon storage. However, with the downsizing, I am not using them for my supplies right now (they are in my daughter's room storing knickknacks).

Products from both companies are excellent. Stamp 'N Storage pieces are raw wood and are heavy. I will probably paint or stain mine at some point. Organize More pieces come in different colors (mine are white). They have a new color, I believe, Espresso.

I highly recommend both of these companies - excellent products and customer service.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2013, 11:39 AM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Wow, what a great work space. TFS!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2013, 02:05 PM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thank you! I'm happy with it .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2015, 09:43 AM   #30  
Rubber Obsessor

Default I lucked out!

I found a cassette holder in perfect condition on Craig's list. My husband mounted on my wall. It's perfect. ClickHERE.

A day without card-making is a dull day....
Designing Duos
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2015, 02:59 AM   #31  
Hardware Hotshot

I had someone I know make this. As you can see, I'm a bit more "clutterized" than some of you. And I don't even have them in ROYGBIV order!

I can't seem to download two thumbnails from my I-pad so my funky ink holder is below.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you store your ink?-image.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2015, 03:04 AM   #32  
Hardware Hotshot

I have two of these little little vintage Fisher Price lunch boxes that hold my re-inkers. I didn't buy the first one for that reason. One day I just looked at it and realized they would fit. It's usually full, but I was doing some re-inking and pulled some out.

My husband got me the second one this Christmas as a surprise. It's also full of ink. As you can see I really don't have all that many refills.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you store your ink?-image.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2015, 05:02 AM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm a collector of inks but I use most of them, I promise LOL!. I have a combo of just about all of the CTMH and SU colours and they are on a "rustic" homemade turning rack my husband built for me out of scrap wood as a test model. It is massive and it will take me a long time to completely fill it. Cost was $8 for the lazy Susan hardware, $40 for the media stix and $15 for three cans of spray paint. It isn't perfectly square and I didn't account for the width of the four wall pieces when cutting the square base. It will serve my purposes though until I get him to do a better version out of better quality wood. If you squint past the mess on my desk, you'll see my Tim Holtz inks in a foam board holder. I am making a new one which will be taller and skinnier and I will put it on one of side of my turning rack. I have to make a new one so I will have room for the 12 new distress inks announced at CHA. You'll see some screws sticking through. They've since been replaced with smaller ones. Please excuse the mess in my room. I've since moved it on to my desk instead of on the plastic cart. Not bad for a self-designed unit if I do say so myself.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you store your ink?-inpad2.jpg   How do you store your ink?-inkpad1.jpg   How do you store your ink?-inkpad3.jpg   How do you store your ink?-inkpad4.jpg   How do you store your ink?-inkpad5.jpg  

Reply With Quote Likes