Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-11-2013, 06:17 PM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Paper Pumpkin VS Simon Says Monthly Kit

Which one do you like best and why? Do you think they are worth the money? Why or why not?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2013, 05:29 AM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I get both and I much prefer the kit from Simon Says Stamp. It is really a great value. Every month you get a nice photopolymer stamp set, several embellishments, card stock and paper. There are 6 examples of different cards to make. Besides those examples in the kit there are lots bloggers who share what they did with the kit. It's really set up to let you be creative.

The My Paper Pumpin kit usually has a couple of rubber stamps, a few embellishments, one or two ink stamp spots, stickers and 4 preprinted cards with envelopes. There have been a couple of mini albums so far this year too. There are instructions on how to make the cards. One thing I have noticed is that I've seen very few examples on blogs I follow (and I follow a lot of stampin up demostrator blogs) using the items in the kits in different ways.

Now I do know that the My Paper Pumpkin kit is being marketed as a way to sit down and make something in half hour. If that's what you're looking for, then I think this kit would work for you. I prefer the Simon Says Stamp kit. It gives me the tools to spark my creativity. I know everything in the kit is color coordinated. The contents of the kit are easily replicated because they list every item on their website. So if I want some more of the paper or cardstock, I know exactly what it is and can go buy it.

Another reason I prefer the Simon Says Stamp kit, is that there is always a preview, so I can easily opt out of that month if I don't like the kit. The My Paper Pumpkin kit doesn't have that option. And there have been a couple of months where I've only kept the stamps and given everything else away. I would have opted out of those months if I knew what was coming.

I do think Simon Says Stamp is a good value, not so much for My Paper Pumpkin. And I filled out a survey last night for My Paper Pumpkin urging them to look at the Simon Says Stamp kits.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2013, 05:56 AM   #3  
Kookie Creator

I didn't know there was another monthly kit other than SU! I didn't start on Pumpkin' because none of the projects inspired me. I'll have to look at Simon Says kit now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2013, 08:37 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe that studio calico also has a kit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2013, 11:47 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

I prefer Paper Pumpkin over SSS. I recently cancelled my SSS sub. The reason I like PP better is because I can make the cards so effortlessly. I can't tell you how many SSS kits I have sitting in my scrap room unused. My PP kits are made and ready to send out cards. I just received the Sept PP kit today & can't wait to sit down & make the cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2013, 04:52 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

I can't speak to the Paper Pumpkin but I did order a Simon Says kit and was very disappointed. I did not think it was a good value for the money. I probably will not order another one. Now, I will say that I have ordered a Gina K kit, they are a bit pricey, $59.99, but well worth the money.

My Blog
- My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2013, 09:00 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have only gotten one of the PP kits so far but it did not have the cardstock for the card bases. I had what was necessary but it ibdicates the cardstock was there. I oersonally thought it was just okay. It seems a bit steep at $20.00 for 4 cards. I still have a two stamp set of rubber stamps from the kit but just have not totally decided if i will keep getting these kits.
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2013, 01:21 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the two PP kits (intro) and the September kit - both for the $10 new customer price. I did fill out the survey and wished I would have mentioned that the cost of the PP is NOT WORTH the $19.99 SU! is asking customers to pay for it. I think $15.99 with shipping included is more than enough for the PP kits; after all, you are only making 4 cards and the cost of materials really isn't worth the price. I'm not sure if I will continue with my subscription. I knew I would NOT like the intro kit (I already had the clear block and the color scheme wasn't too appealing) but I was hoping that by the second kit I would be hooked. Not so much. I think SU! is on to those customers who love the element of surprise and look forward to receiving a totally new kit each month.

I hope an SU! demo reads this and let's Stampin Up! know. They might sell more of these on a longer term subscription basis if they adjust the price.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2013, 03:17 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by DigitalStamper63View Post
I think SU! is on to those customers who love the element of surprise and look forward to receiving a totally new kit each month.
I surprise myself quite often when I order something and forget that I ordered it. Then it comes in the mail - surprise!!

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2013, 09:24 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Do you like the kits Annette?
Blessings
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2013, 10:18 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
Do you like the kits Annette?
Blessings
Amber, I haven't ordered either of them, but I did look at the Simon one and was tempted. It seems when I get a "kit" that I usually end up using only part of the stuff in the kit, and the rest of it languishes in my craft room, looking at me accusingly.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2013, 05:39 AM   #12  
Embossing Fanatic

I cancelled MPP (and made it clear why) and went ahead and ordered the Simon Says kit. If i can pay $20 + shipping for MPP, I can try $20 + shipping for something that could be pretty cool with a similar idea.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2013, 09:05 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

Hello-

I tried the SU MPP kits. Maybe it was just me, but the first one was disappointing. I did see an array of them made up and there are others that look quite cute. Probably hit or miss.

Tinkerbell, I just went to the Gina K site and saw the current kit. It is beautiful. Do you know how often they release a new kit and when the next one is? I would agree it would cost as much or more to purchase the items. It appears there is some sort of ongoing broadcast or discussion about the kit??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2013, 04:49 PM   #14  
Inking Addict

This is an interesting discussion. I have been getting my paper pumpkin for a few months now, since I am from Canada the kit is almost$30. The kits are nice, but not worth that much. I did look at the simon says stamp kits mentioned at the beginning of this thread and thought I would try one. The kit was shipped today, so I am anxious to see it. Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2013, 09:44 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Will be interested to see if you like the SSS kits and how they compare to the MPP kit.
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2013, 07:50 AM   #16  
Glitter Queen

I actually have subscriptions to both right now and have mixed feelings about both. MPP is very cohesive and that makes it really easy to sit down for a half hour and walk away with a bunch of cards done. SSS is a bit less cohesive but has materials to make more than just a handful of cards.

I find that MPP is awesome when your in a bit of a funk and not feeling creative or if your crunched on time. However, the kits seem a bit light on materials for the cost.

SSS is a better value for the money, but it's not as easy to sit down and create cards in a short period of time.

That being said, I enjoy getting both each month and don't plan on canceling either subscription any time soon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2013, 01:18 PM   #17  
Embossing Fanatic

I still haven't received my September PP so, waiting on that, and I ordered a SSS set. I wasn't impressed with what I have seen on here regarding this months PP, so I cancelled that subscription. I hated to do it, I love SU!, but honestly, for the cost, it's not worth it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2013, 03:56 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by hedgiemamaView Post
Hello-

I tried the SU MPP kits. Maybe it was just me, but the first one was disappointing. I did see an array of them made up and there are others that look quite cute. Probably hit or miss.

Tinkerbell, I just went to the Gina K site and saw the current kit. It is beautiful. Do you know how often they release a new kit and when the next one is? I would agree it would cost as much or more to purchase the items. It appears there is some sort of ongoing broadcast or discussion about the kit??
Hi Karen,

I think it is monthly. I just made two cards from the Gina K kit. Have to say I love it. I got 4 stamp sets, 1 die set, all the cardstock I need, designer papers and ribbon, all coordinated. I will post the cards this weekend so if interested in the kit, look for my cards.

Crystal

My Blog
- My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2013, 12:39 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell1958View Post
Hi Karen,

I think it is monthly. I just made two cards from the Gina K kit. Have to say I love it. I got 4 stamp sets, 1 die set, all the cardstock I need, designer papers and ribbon, all coordinated. I will post the cards this weekend so if interested in the kit, look for my cards.

Crystal
Tink,
Is the current one the autumn one? How do know when a new one comes out or do you sign up for ongoing delivery?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2013, 02:53 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by hedgiemamaView Post
Tink,
Is the current one the autumn one? How do know when a new one comes out or do you sign up for ongoing delivery?
Hi Karen,

Yes, I have the autumn one. I am not sure about when they come out, etc. because a friend sent me the link when she saw it. I have joined StampTV and they have the kit listed on the said bar. I misspoke, it was only $49.95 which is a great price for all I got.

Tink

My Blog
- My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2013, 07:26 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2013, 07:58 PM   #22  
Embossing Fanatic

I just got my SSS kit, and I was really impressed with the variety and quality. For $5 more than MPP, definitely worth it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2013, 10:27 AM   #23  
Inking Addict

My SSS kit arrived today...certainly more for the money. I can see how it is not as easy to just sit and put the cards together like MPP, but I did find a SSS board on Pinterest with lots of inspiration...so off I go to play with my new treasures!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2013, 04:36 AM   #24  
Inking Addict

The MPP really is designed for the newer stamper who wants to try stamping and see if they like it. Also, really busy executive women love the kits because they are fast, quick and easy. It's not really designed for the hardcore stampers.

We do have bigger monthly kits coming soon though. More cards, stamps, supplies, etc. It's going to retail for approximately $30 and is more geared toward the hardcore stampers.

MPP is really for the beginner stampers, IMHO. Some people love them. Others aren't as much of a fan.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2013, 01:39 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thumbs up

I will look forward to the bigger SU monthly stamp kits you mentioned!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2013, 06:14 PM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

I have joined Gina K's stamp TV, sent in questions regarding when the next kit will be released, I get nothing back. Is there something I should do in order to get this information?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2013, 10:51 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have gotten two so far. I am leaning towards canceling but will try another month or two.
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2013, 05:38 PM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

In general, I have a feeling that most kits out there are more expensive than what supplies you actually receive. I think you are paying mostly for convenience & not just the retail value of the supplies.

I totally agree with Tinkerbell about SSS. I really feel like the SSS kits are way overpriced for what you get (can't comment on the SU one, never looked at it). I just wasn't impressed with the SSS one at all when I looked at it. They aren't the only one that seems over priced one out there though I have noticed others.

If I were to join a card kit, I would want the retail value of the items to be LESS than what I am paying for the kit. But then again, I am cheap like that lol. That's why I made my own kit club.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2013, 03:33 PM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

I noticed Flourishes now has a kit!
Reply With Quote Likes