Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-13-2013, 12:50 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evernote Tips and Tricks!

I've noticed that quite a few have jumped on the Evernote app for keeping track of their supplies....Evernote is quite easy...and I'm sure that there's alot of people that know a lot more about it than I do, so i thought i would start an Evernote tips thread....
please share any tips you've learned about the Evernote program. Makr sure that you specify what type of computer, phone or pad you are working on.

Here's my tip:

(HP laptop). You can add multiple tags to multiple notes or move a bunch of notes to another notebook at one time...just hold your control key and click on the notes you want to tag or move. They will open in a side window ( with little cards), and you have the option to email, merge, move to a notebook, or click to add a tag! Easy-Peasy!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2013, 02:18 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 288 Likes on 114 Posts

Great tip, Sarah - and a great idea for what I'm sure will be a very helpful thread! I haven't played around with it enough to contribute, so I'll just watch this space to see what everyone else has to offer

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2013, 03:10 AM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Received 174 Likes on 117 Posts

Sarah, Awesome thread to start.

For anyone not familiar with Evernote I would recommend you check this link (not mine) that explains the program quite well for crafting purposes, Ink On My Whiskers: Creating a Stamp Index Using Evernote
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2013, 03:26 PM   #4  
Crimping Master

Doris, thank you for sharing the link from Ink On My Whiskers. I read through her blog post and it was very helpful. She had some really great tips. Thank you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doris BView Post
Sarah, Awesome thread to start.

For anyone not familiar with Evernote I would recommend you check this link (not mine) that explains the program quite well for crafting purposes, Ink On My Whiskers: Creating a Stamp Index Using Evernote
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2013, 05:10 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I started using Evernote when I got a tablet. I already had my stamp images stored as files on my laptop, and wanted a way to transfer them over to the tablet. The great thing about Evernote is that through the magic of the Internet you can share between multiple devices.
But what was also great for me is that you can point Evernote to a folder of images on your computer, and it will pull them all in automatically. No need to manually create "notes" for each image. Which for me was a definite timesaver.
There are a couple of things that I wish it was better at, but for the price, it is a great tool.

Who needs tattoos? I already have ink in strange places...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2013, 07:19 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

What else is everyone using evernote for? I have done my stamp sets - all 174 of them (that was a depressing thought, didn't think I had that many....) and my punches. But now I'm at an standstill. What to do with the new toy now?????
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2013, 09:17 AM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

I am in the process of storing my digi stamps Evernote and my cutting files. I do it so I can see the pictures.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2013, 09:22 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 167 Likes on 126 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by btalemView Post
What else is everyone using evernote for? I have done my stamp sets - all 174 of them (that was a depressing thought, didn't think I had that many....) and my punches. But now I'm at an standstill. What to do with the new toy now?????
diecuts,embossing folders,inks,markers,etc...........
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2013, 09:34 AM   #9  
Glitter Queen

Does anyone use onenote? I already have this on my computer and have started entering information.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2013, 07:54 AM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

Received 174 Likes on 117 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by btalemView Post
Some of these I have done, other are on a to do list-
For Crafts-
-dies, framelits, edgelits
-embossing folders
-colour, I am an SU hobby demo, so tend to buy specific colours from Stampin' Up!, I got a "Notebook" from someone else called Cardstock groupings, one note has all the greens, another is for blues, reds etc.
- I think a person could expand that and make a notebook using specific colours lets say Cherry Cobbler- in that note you could have what you own like ribbon, brads, cardstock , ink pad, kinda like an inventory system with pictures and text.

For Non Craft Items-
-shopping lets say you are shopping around for a new furniture, take pics of it and price tag, the store, type in any info, then you can compare or show your family to make final decision.
-Restaurants- we work out of town, so take a pic of menu, type in phone number, easier when ordering takeout, you can even add a comment to your note whether it was good or not
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2013, 11:57 AM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

Instead of scanning or photographing my stamps sets, I go online, find a pic of my set, and then copy and paste it into Evernote.

One of the things I love most: for instance, I open the notebook containing my PTI stamps. In the second window, at the top where it says "Notes by Title", there's a search bar. I entered "grateful" and Evernote brought up every set that contains this sentiment. And when you click on the set so it will appear in the far-right window, the term you searched for will be highlighted. You can search for a phrase, such as "Thinking of You"; each set that contains that phrase as well as "you" will appear. This search will also bring up sets that you've tagged.

One of my favorite uses is the notebook with my Copics listed - no more duplicates!

You can also add examples of cards with each stamp set. I don't really do this as I have boards set up on Pinterest for this.

Other favorite uses: shopping and grocery lists; if I find a recipe online, I copy & paste it, so I'll have a list of ingredients that I need to buy. Entered on my laptop, automatically transferred to my phone because Evernote synchronizes all the devices you have it installed on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2013, 07:31 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's a user forum here that may be of use

http://discussion.evernote.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2013, 06:50 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doris BView Post
- I think a person could expand that and make a notebook using specific colours lets say Cherry Cobbler- in that note you could have what you own like ribbon, brads, cardstock , ink pad, kinda like an inventory system with pictures and text.
OMG. I totally never thought of that. Wanna know something that is totally sad? I have that all organized like that. I have a Rolodex card file that I have samples of all the brads, buttons, ribbons, and samples of the ink on cardstock, the markers, and what versamark looks like on the cardstock. I worked and worked and WORKED on that for 6 months. Too bad I didn't know what evernote was back then!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2013, 06:52 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post
You can also add examples of cards with each stamp set. I don't really do this as I have boards set up on Pinterest for this.
This is an awesome idea too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2013, 03:44 AM   #15  
Glitter Queen

I love creating notes for Evernote right from my ipad with the Evernote Clipper.

I use it to collect images and tutorials that I find inspiring and ideas and techniques that I want to try. But you could use it to inventory your stamps.

This is how it works:

1.Browse to the vendor's web site's page with the stamp, ink, etc. that you want to creat a note for. Click on the Evernote Clipper bookmark (that you've created--see link for instructions below).

2. A small dialogue box opens and you can type the note information: assign tag(s), notebook, add your own notes. You can select and clip just part of the page or the whole page and/or the url.

3. Click Save.

4. Open Evernote--the note you just created will be exactly where you saved it. Works great.

The instructions can be found here:
Use the Evernote Clipper With Safari On iPad and iPhone by the mergy notes

It involves creating a bookmark in Safari on your ipad and then editing the bookmark...very easy. Just a hint about Step 5 of his instructions: when he says to "Copy the code from this text..." he means the text that appears when you click on the phrase below that--"IOSEvernoteWebClipper." That is actually a link that opens a page with the text you need to copy into the bookmark.

I've used this for about a year and is the main way I create notes now that I have an ipad.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2013, 12:46 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 288 Likes on 114 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by inkdmView Post
I love creating notes for Evernote right from my ipad with the Evernote Clipper.

I use it to collect images and tutorials that I find inspiring and ideas and techniques that I want to try. But you could use it to inventory your stamps.

This is how it works:

1.Browse to the vendor's web site's page with the stamp, ink, etc. that you want to creat a note for. Click on the Evernote Clipper bookmark (that you've created--see link for instructions below).

2. A small dialogue box opens and you can type the note information: assign tag(s), notebook, add your own notes. You can select and clip just part of the page or the whole page and/or the url.

3. Click Save.

4. Open Evernote--the note you just created will be exactly where you saved it. Works great.

The instructions can be found here:
Use the Evernote Clipper With Safari On iPad and iPhone by the mergy notes

It involves creating a bookmark in Safari on your ipad and then editing the bookmark...very easy. Just a hint about Step 5 of his instructions: when he says to "Copy the code from this text..." he means the text that appears when you click on the phrase below that--"IOSEvernoteWebClipper." That is actually a link that opens a page with the text you need to copy into the bookmark.

I've used this for about a year and is the main way I create notes now that I have an ipad.
Any gear that supports a browser will allow you to use the web clipper - instructions are on the evernote.com website...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2013, 12:59 PM   #17  
Glitter Queen

can you send a link? Is this new in the last several months? Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2013, 11:01 AM   #18  
Inking Addict

Question Spreadsheets?

I downloaded Evernote and looked at it a bit. It looks to me like its basically a text document? If so, how can you sort and store lists in it? I use spreadsheets for many things, and understand all of the features involved, but don't really understand how you would store, sort, search etc lists of items?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2013, 08:07 PM   #19  
Glitter Queen

I'm not sure I understand your question.

Items can be labeled with Tags or put into their own notebook. That is how they can be sorted. Also, you can search for tags or words in your Evernote notebooks just by typing the search word/phrase into the search bar.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampintamView Post
I downloaded Evernote and looked at it a bit. It looks to me like its basically a text document? If so, how can you sort and store lists in it? I use spreadsheets for many things, and understand all of the features involved, but don't really understand how you would store, sort, search etc lists of items?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2013, 08:09 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampintamView Post
I have a specific list that is just "stamp sets". I have all 175 of my sets listed in there. It not only stores the name of the stamp set, but a picture, as well as tags which allow you to search for a keyword that you assign. For example: the stamp set Artfully Asian. I have the stamp set labeled, a picture of the set, and tags of leaves, stems, flowers, thank you, gift, etc. If I am looking for a set that says Thank You, then the program will pull up all the sets that I have tagged with the words Thank You.
It really is more than just a spreadsheet or text document. What I really appreciate the most is that I have all that information downloaded to my phone. This is helpful when shopping for a punch - which I also have listed in Evernote - so I never have to deal with buying a duplicate punch again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2013, 08:24 PM   #21  
Glitter Queen

That's impressive, Btalem. You are very organized.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2013, 02:32 PM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by inkdmView Post
That's impressive, Btalem. You are very organized.
Thanks! But I think that words that you are looking for are "an@l retentive". I am a mess - but I know where everything in that mess is!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2013, 06:57 PM   #23  
April 2012 Swapper of the Month

Received 23 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post
Instead of scanning or photographing my stamps sets, I go online, find a pic of my set, and then copy and paste it into Evernote.

One of the things I love most: for instance, I open the notebook containing my PTI stamps. In the second window, at the top where it says "Notes by Title", there's a search bar. I entered "grateful" and Evernote brought up every set that contains this sentiment. And when you click on the set so it will appear in the far-right window, the term you searched for will be highlighted. You can search for a phrase, such as "Thinking of You"; each set that contains that phrase as well as "you" will appear. This search will also bring up sets that you've tagged.

One of my favorite uses is the notebook with my Copics listed - no more duplicates!

Other favorite uses: shopping and grocery lists; if I find a recipe online, I copy & paste it, so I'll have a list of ingredients that I need to buy. Entered on my laptop, automatically transferred to my phone because Evernote synchronizes all the devices you have it installed on.

Oh, I love the idea to use it for recipes...ingredients at the ready. LOVE IT!
Thanks for sharing
xoxo
Amy

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2013, 08:15 PM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is very interesting....I think I may need to spend some time and learn something new
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2013, 05:53 AM   #25  

Just another tip. I have a tag labeled "digital" so I can tell if I have that stamp in digital format. Sometimes I have both.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2013, 10:45 AM   #26  

Another tip I stumbled upon.
In my process (I am doing a notebook with DSP paper) here's my steps.
I find a DSP that I have in my inventory, I google it " Stampin Up Elegant Soiree" and look for a good image. click on it, copy picture, go over to my evernote, to the body of the new note, paste, return, enter the name of the DSP "Elegant Soiree" and majically, this appears in my note title - I do not have to re-type my note title (click on the box) and it will automatically "know" what the title is. weird, I know, but saves a typing step - LOVE IT.
Carry On.
xoxo
Amy

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2013, 07:12 PM   #27  

Another tip
As I was going through all my inventory, I realized that some of the things I "want" - so I created a tag for that, then I tagged the items I don't have, but don't need because I have a very good friend(s) that have it and we share all the time, so I made tags with their names on them in case I'm tempted to buy - I know I can borrow from friends. Of course, I realize not everyone has great friends like mine
Carry On.
Amy

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2013, 08:29 AM   #28  

Help!
I think I have the whole craft inventory thing down. Now I have a question. I do have a nook tablet, and I am all synced.
So, tell me how to use evernote on the fly. Here's my specific.
I saw B&N highlighted a book today in my inbox. I love to read, but I almost always just wait and borrow from my local library. So, I usually have to wait a bit before they get it in electronic form. So here's my question - basic. How do I put a picture in my evernote - in a notebook titled "book wishlist". Same as I've been doing with my crafts (open evernote, open google, right click copy picture, past in note?) surely there has to be a quick way to just send the pic to my evernote? Does this make sense? So when I'm on my nook, in B&N website, how do I send the pic to evernote, rather than messing with copy/paste? Much like I can "pin" easily since most people have the pin feature at the bottom of a post.
Make sense? step by step please.
Thanks
Amy

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2013, 09:20 AM   #29  
Forum Fanatic

I just started using Evernote and so far I love it.
Facebook: Got Joy Creations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2013, 08:38 PM   #30  

Quote:

Originally Posted by mzdjoyView Post
I just started using Evernote and so far I love it.
Welcome Joy. Head over to the file sharing thread. Lots of ladies have been very generous sharing their notebooks, thus saving you lots of input time.
Enjoy.
Amy

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2013, 08:47 PM   #31  

Quote:

Originally Posted by amyphelpsView Post
Help!
I think I have the whole craft inventory thing down. Now I have a question. I do have a nook tablet, and I am all synced.
So, tell me how to use evernote on the fly. Here's my specific.
I saw B&N highlighted a book today in my inbox. I love to read, but I almost always just wait and borrow from my local library. So, I usually have to wait a bit before they get it in electronic form. So here's my question - basic. How do I put a picture in my evernote - in a notebook titled "book wishlist". Same as I've been doing with my crafts (open evernote, open google, right click copy picture, past in note?) surely there has to be a quick way to just send the pic to my evernote? Does this make sense? So when I'm on my nook, in B&N website, how do I send the pic to evernote, rather than messing with copy/paste? Much like I can "pin" easily since most people have the pin feature at the bottom of a post.
Make sense? step by step please.
Thanks
Amy
I am quoting myself - ha ha! I think I figured it out, but what an aggrivating process. I went into trunk and found the add on for clipping (ever clip?) I know it's made for evernote - just can't see it right now. THEN, to figure that out...whew. When you right click on a photo (say of a book I want to borrow later) it will give me the option (at bottom of dropdown screen) to add to evernote. Where I got hung up I was clicking on "clip image", and you need to right click on "clip image" and another drop down screen comes up and confirms the clip - sheesh. I was going crazy. Then the clip will show up in my evernote, under webclips. Now a whole new avenue to play with. I'm thinking once I get all organized with my stamping inventory and my memory usage is not at risk, maybe clipping examples from pintrest into my stamp inventory, or embossing folder - depending on the sample. Just to capture a few pics to go along with the stamped images??? Thinking out loud. And who knows, if anyone can follow my thinking out loud, it could benefit you as well! - Ha.
Off to bed.
Goodnight
Amy

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2013, 05:16 PM   #32  
Forum Fanatic

Amy where is this thread.

Quote:

Welcome Joy. Head over to the file sharing thread. Lots of ladies have been very generous sharing their notebooks, thus saving you lots of input time.
Enjoy.
Amy
Facebook: Got Joy Creations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2013, 05:48 PM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by mzdjoyView Post
Amy where is this thread.
Joy, try this link:

Evernote Supply list Sharing? by Mary*MI at Splitcoaststampers

amy b
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2013, 10:52 AM   #34  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeps!!!

I know that I "neeeeeeed" this! Thanks, ladies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2013, 01:48 PM   #35  
Insane Embellisher

Do you have to pay for the premium version of Evernote to use or view your notebooks when you are not connected to the internet? Also, is there any way to export the information in case Evernote ever goes out of business?

I don't have a smartphone (yes, one of the few with the ole flip phone), so I would be using my tablet and sometimes I may not have wireless access.

Mary Ann

~~ My slowly growing gallery ~~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2013, 01:55 PM   #36  
Glitter Queen

Default Premium Evernote

I think you do have to pay to access notes offline. If you go to Evernote.com and click on the GoPremium link at the top you'll get a listing of the premium stuff.

I don't know about exporting. Sorry.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2013, 11:00 AM   #37  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheabellaView Post
I am in the process of storing my digi stamps Evernote and my cutting files. I do it so I can see the pictures.
What an awesome idea. I struggle with all my cutting files and what they look like.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2013, 03:14 PM   #38  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Another tip I stumbled upon.
In my process (I am doing a notebook with DSP paper) here's my steps.
I find a DSP that I have in my inventory, I google it " Stampin Up Elegant Soiree" and look for a good image. click on it, copy picture, go over to my evernote, to the body of the new note, paste, return, enter the name of the DSP "Elegant Soiree" and majically, this appears in my note title - I do not have to re-type my note title (click on the box) and it will automatically "know" what the title is. weird, I know, but saves a typing step - LOVE IT.
Carry On.
xoxo
Amy
You actually don't have to copy and paste. Just right click on the DSP image you want and drag it to the note you are creating in Evernote. Saves a lot of time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2013, 02:26 PM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

I might have to learn how to use this. It would be great for a lot of things. Craft supplies, stamps, recipes, ideas, house projects... oh my word, I wonder if i could use it to keep track of what my characters in my books are doing... oooh...

Off to play.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2013, 03:49 PM   #40  
Glitter Queen

The "Ink on my Whiskers" tutorial looks awesome. I've used Evernote for a number of years as a note taking app, blog staging app, and a place to hang onto links and tutorials.

I'd imagine sharing out this notebook if people asked me if I had something specific they were looking for, or if they were asking me to make something and wanting to know right away if I could! Thanks for sharing!

Now just finding the time!
Reply With Quote Likes