Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-22-2013, 05:13 AM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Early 1990's SU sets - 100's at garage sale

I was at a garage sale this weekend. A woman had 100's of old Stampin Up sets for sale. Most of them were early 1990's sets. Remember when SU had a different style box? I've been a avid SU stamper for many years and I saw many many sets that I had never seen before. There was at least 350 sets, maybe more. There were so many boxes of stamps I didn't have time to look through them all.

Soooo.... I've been thinking about all her sets. Do you think there is a market for these old sets? I considered offering her a price and taking them all -- I would then re-sell most of them (here or on ebay). She is "low-tech" and said she doesn't ebay nor does she use craigslist. She did not have "bargain" prices on her sets. Most were in the $8 - $15 range. I'm sure her price for all would be fairly high.

So do you think anyone would want these old sets?

Chris

p.s. I only bought 2 set - Ancient Art and Leapfrog. Also got some ink refills. So fun to look at all those stamp sets!!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2013, 05:54 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I'd be very interested! Can't speak for anyone else...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2013, 06:20 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess I'd want to see them first. Did YOU really like the sets? Did YOU want to go crazy and buy more than two for yourself? I only go back to about the yr 2000 w/ SU. Some of my older sets were released in the 90's and some I love and some seem dated.

Did you get the names of any of the sets? Maybe go on Ebay yourself to see if any have been sold and for what price. Or perhaps someone on SCS will be able to tell you which ones were/are very sought after.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2013, 08:38 AM   #4  
Compulsive Stamper

Good point, Martha. SU really had that Americana thing going on in the early 90's. Lots of little stamps, hardly any words. Any ideas on sought after golden oldie SU sets??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2013, 09:38 AM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would also be interested.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2013, 11:13 AM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by CNewmanView Post
Good point, Martha. SU really had that Americana thing going on in the early 90's. Lots of little stamps, hardly any words. Any ideas on sought after golden oldie SU sets??
The truth is, even the "sought after" sets have a short shelf life. We all hear stories about someone selling a set for over $100, but the truth is those are just people desperate for a set for some odd reason. For example, I had a LOT of sought after sets like Coast to Coast, Love Bakes, Just A Line, etc. But when I actually got around to selling them, they probably sold for somewhere close to what they were purchased for, and that is the exception to the rule. A lot of old stamp sets are really dated. Like another poster mentioned, if you like them, someone else may as well. I wouldn't buy them in the hopes of making a steal on ebay because you're likely to just get stuck with them. Typically, when I sell at garage sales, I have to sell for about 75% off the original prices.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2013, 08:17 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I LOVE a bunch of the old sets, but would not bother to try to sell any on Ebay. I myself browse Ebay quite often for old SU! sets but I always bid low and lose, so I'm not really prepared to spend a lot on an old set either. The attraction for me of older sets IS the lower prices that I'd expect to pay. At stamp conventions I'm always hoping to see old SU! sets so maybe that's another way to go... wait for a stamp convention to come around and sell them then. It might be too much trouble even then. I love the Americana style and I don't like sentiments, except for generic ones like "Happy Birthday".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2013, 12:59 PM   #8  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm always looking for older sets. I really want the 1999 Americana collection. I browse ebay and this forum for cheap sets. I recently found the Summer Sunflower, brand new for $9 and free shipping. Couldn't pass it up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2013, 02:16 PM   #9  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by STYXROCKSMEView Post
I'm always looking for older sets. I really want the 1999 Americana collection. I browse ebay and this forum for cheap sets. I recently found the Summer Sunflower, brand new for $9 and free shipping. Couldn't pass it up.
I've been doing SU since the early 90's and have many of the old timer's lingering in boxes, for the most part unused now. What was the 1999 Americana collection? Perhaps I have it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2013, 02:23 PM   #10  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Just did a quick google search on SU Americana collection and found a pic of it on EBay. I definitely don't have that set...in fact, don't remember even seeing it in the catalog at that time. Bummer....if I had it, I would send it to you. Good luck finding it, I can see it would be a nice set to use for Operation Write Home.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2013, 12:25 PM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

I paid $1500 for around 225 old Stampin' Up! sets at a flea market last year. I kept around 25 that I wanted, and managed to sell off all of the rest of them, between here, ebay, and my Etsy shop. It took me about 4-5 months to get the very last bit of them out the door and quite a bit of research on prices, photographing and listing the items but I managed to not only keep the 25 sets I wanted but make about a $300 profit on my $1500 purchase.

But know that it is a lot of work to get there. So you need to decide if you're up for that.
Reply With Quote Likes