Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-29-2013, 09:31 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Pet Peeves

1-Online vendors who do not identify where they are located; so you can't tell if that $ sign is US, Canadian, or Australian.

2-"New" sections on vendor sites that end up being 10 pages long.

3-Blog or gallery posters who identify all the elements of their creation----except the one item you are interested in.

4-Die packages that show the metal die but not a picture of what it looks like cut on cardstock.

5-Online vendors that don't let you in on their shipping policies until you place an order.

6-Stamping/scrapping supplies that could easily/cheaply have been packaged in a more permanent storage container or one that could be opened and closed easily.

7-False bottoms or backs that mislead you on how much is in the packaging.

8-Sneak peeks of new stamps, paper, other products. Get the whole unveiling over with and let us order, or not.

9-Blog hops. Who can bother!

10-SCS posters who post just to subscribe to a thread. Use the thread tool link to subscribe instead.

Wow! I'm out of peeves---for the moment.

Got some more to add to this????
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2013, 09:50 AM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Good thread! I'd like to add:

Sites that don't let you see an item's price, or tell you it's out of stock, until you add it to your cart.

People who post on message boards just to promote their blogs or websites.

Talented people who ruin their videos by giggling too much or mumbling.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2013, 10:58 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am so sorry, being someone who posts to subscribe. I didn't know there was another way to do it. I just noticed that's what people did so I did it too. Whoops.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2013, 11:01 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Received 264 Likes on 109 Posts

Awesome list, amen to all!

My additional pet peeve is the stamp vendors who don't give you measurements of the stamped image.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2013, 12:39 PM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

My peeve is design teams with more than about 8 members especially if, to enter the release week contests, you have to go leave a comment on ALL 47 members' blogs to have the best chance at winning.

Now, if you want to have 16 people on your team and 8 design for the odd numbered days and 8 for the even days, that's a little different. But I give up when I start getting into double digits.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2013, 01:39 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
If blog hops bother you, why not just don't hop? I don't get that pet peeve unless you're required to do the hop. :confused:

I'm thinking back to when new Spellbinder dies made their appearance, but you had to track down each blog to find each new die. I liked seeing what the die cuts looked like on a card, but it was too much nuisance and I stopped bothering with that hassle.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2013, 08:38 PM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Blogs that play music! I often open things in a new tab to read later, but if it opens and plays music, I close it without bothering to read.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2013, 10:14 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate your peeves list. Right off the top I know I need to go through myNEW category page. I am sure there are a few others that apply to my site too! I thank you!
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2013, 10:48 PM   #9  
Kookie Creator

People that say 'hey look what I've made' and you have to follow a link to see what they're talking about, I want to see it there and then on the post.

Not being able to exclude sections of SCS that I never look at, having to sift through 10 or 12 pages when I go to New Posts to find the ones that interest me.

Web sites that proclaim 'FREE P & P!' and when you actually go to have a better look see it is 'just spend over �40' !!

Sites where you can't find out how much the P&P is and you have to email them to find out - they are usually sites that have a really hefty charge.

Think I'd better stop there!

Ruth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2013, 12:53 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

I must be quite laid back as nothing much riles me the way most folk here seem to be riled! Misnamed product is the one thing that's like nails on a chalkboard though - I cringe every time I see "Distressed Ink"!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2013, 03:01 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 290 Likes on 114 Posts

I don't get bothered by much, either (like Joanne), but I'm not a fan of blogs that play music or links that go nowhere. Oh - I just thought of one! Blogs where I have to click through from my reader to the actual blog to read the post. That defeats the purpose of why I added it to a reader in the first place...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2013, 03:11 AM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

Location: Michigan ( where else can you point out where you live on your hand)

My pet peeves change depending on the day of the week LOL
I don't like video Tutorials where the person doesn't talk..just plays some music, no instruction.. just watch my hands while I make this project and play some music then
TA DA!! Project complete!!! MAGIC!!! I NEED the instructions!! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2013, 04:49 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

One website irritation is when there's a small product photo with a magnifying glass to zoom it. Click on the icon, wait for the pop-up window to load . . . and it's the same small photo again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2013, 01:29 PM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

Default Pet Peeves

Oh... I'm so happy to see that I'm not the only one who HATES "Sneak Peeks". They drive me absolutely nuts!!! I especially hate when the vendor only shows you a portion of the stamp - seriously... please don't do that!! I find it extremely frustrating to the point where I can't enjoy reading blog updates about new releases.

I would also like to add that one of my pet peeves is vendors who NEVER offer "Sales". Even if it's just something that is offered once a year - but never offering a sale seems like bad business to me. I feel appreciated as a client if I get a good deal on occassion and I tend to buy more then I would under normal circumstances - so the vendor wins and I win too!

Along those same lines, are vendors who don't offer a price point that entitles the purchaser to receive free shipping. It just doesn't make sense to me when a vendor's shipping charge keeps getting more and more expensive the more I put in my basket. So.. is the thought process that I should purchase less to keep the cost of shipping down??? :confused: I would think that offering customers an incentive to purchase more is a much better approach to doing business. Having an on-line store saves vendors the cost/hassle of having a formal (expensive) brick and mortar shop - shipping costs are just part of the cost of doing business - when you have an online store. I don't expect free shipping all the time, but offer a discount if the customer is willing to give you a large order.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2013, 07:00 PM   #15  
Mad Swapper

Oh, yes! All of the above. Hope the vendors are reading. Some of these are simple fixes, some not. LSS's-no complaint, so glad you are still surviving!

I totally agree on the posting of blog entries in digest form, where you have to click on them to get the full text. If readers are on dial up access and can't handle the band width, they are not going to subscribe to your blog unless they want to see the whole thing anyway.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2013, 07:50 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I hate it when a blog entry starts out with, "wow i can't believe how long it is since i posted last, so sorry" ... every. single. time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2013, 07:59 PM   #17  
Mad Swapper

Wow, great list. I'll add video tutorials with the instructions given too softly I can't hear. Granted, I have a hearing impairment, I really appreciate it when the volume is nice and loud. Of even better if they add captions. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2013, 10:15 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I think other people's music is my biggest peeve. I carry earplugs in my pockets no matter where I go. The grocery store, the mall, etc. I like only a very narrow range of music that no one else seems to like. When I play a video tutorial, my finger is always on the volume adjuster, ready to mute it (even if there are spoken instructions) if there is also music playing.

Fortunately I did live with my brother years ago, and then with a boyfriend. Those early experiences taught me how to tune out most music (can't tune out stuff with strong, heavy basses), so now I can enjoy myself even if I am in someone's home or car and they have the radio on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2013, 10:20 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by grandepuceView Post
Oh... I'm so happy to see that I'm not the only one who HATES "Sneak Peeks". They drive me absolutely nuts!!! I especially hate when the vendor only shows you a portion of the stamp - seriously... please don't do that!! I find it extremely frustrating to the point where I can't enjoy reading blog updates about new releases.

I would also like to add that one of my pet peeves is vendors who NEVER offer "Sales". Even if it's just something that is offered once a year - but never offering a sale seems like bad business to me. I feel appreciated as a client if I get a good deal on occassion and I tend to buy more then I would under normal circumstances - so the vendor wins and I win too!

Along those same lines, are vendors who don't offer a price point that entitles the purchaser to receive free shipping. It just doesn't make sense to me when a vendor's shipping charge keeps getting more and more expensive the more I put in my basket. So.. is the thought process that I should purchase less to keep the cost of shipping down??? :confused: I would think that offering customers an incentive to purchase more is a much better approach to doing business. Having an on-line store saves vendors the cost/hassle of having a formal (expensive) brick and mortar shop - shipping costs are just part of the cost of doing business - when you have an online store. I don't expect free shipping all the time, but offer a discount if the customer is willing to give you a large order.
I agree soooooo much!!! The first place I look is the company's shipping policy. If they don't offer free shipping or at least a flat rate above a certain order amount, I either order JUST the one tiny item I want that absolutely no one carries, or not at all. And I will spend HOURS searching for that one item in other stores to assure myself that NO ONE ELSE sells it!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2013, 02:00 AM   #20  
Embossing Fanatic

Agree with all the above! Another one for me - videos where the music is louder than the person speaking. Those I click out of right away. If they can't bother turning the music down, I can't bother watching them. At. All!

Christi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2013, 03:02 AM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

I really dislike it when an on-line vendor has a site that doesn't allow options for how many items load per page. Recently, I was looking at a site I hadn't visited before and clicked on the "clearance" section. The site showed 10 items per page & had 43 pages under the "clearance" section. I don't know about you, but I really don't care enough about whatever you might have on sale or even regular stock if I have to click through more than 10 pages in each category to see it all. I realize some people are on a dial up system, but it should be an option to view "all" or at least 50 items per page as most people have access to faster internet services.

I too also hate sneak peaks, blog hops and in particular a couple of stamp manufacturers (whose products I love) who send out an e-mail a week before their blog hop or sneak peek even starts to announce that it is coming. Like I am going to keep the e-mail around for a week, or even remember to do the hated blog hop a week later. Generally, it leaves such a negative feeling, I just wind up visiting these vendor sites when I think about it every 3 to 6 months.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2013, 07:07 AM   #22  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarenBinPaView Post
I am so sorry, being someone who posts to subscribe. I didn't know there was another way to do it. I just noticed that's what people did so I did it too. Whoops.
Karen at the top of the thread is "thread tools' if you click on it, you will see Subscribe to Thread, click on it. and that will allow you to follow it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2013, 12:19 PM   #23  
Mad Swapper

Is "marking my spot" the same as the "subscribing" I see often? It annoys me because I receive email notifications of postings to threads I am interested in, and I automatically click on the link. Only to see that the post is just "Subscribing"!

Another minor peeve is following a thread that a person posted a question about something. A week or two goes by, and I see a number of posters have assisted in the answer----but the original poster has disappeared off the face of the earth! Don't all those posters deserve at least a brief thank you?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2013, 01:39 PM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

I read this earlier but didnt think i really had any pet peeves when it came to crafting ..but...i just remembered one. Ive been watching a lot of youtube videos and it bugs me when people use washi tape to hold things down instead of masking or artist tape. I know some people have lots of washi tape but some of us dont and the bit that i have i wouldnt waste like that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2013, 02:58 PM   #25  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 169 Likes on 122 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
I subscribe to a lot of threads, and have to say that very very seldom do I go to a link and the ONLY new post is a "marking my spot" or "subscribing" post. 99.9% of the time there are other posts in addition to it.
Along this same line, I get really annoyed with people who "bump" a thread over and over without adding anything else. I'm subscribed to a couple threads where 1/2 the posts are the same person posting "bump." Sometimes I just want to post and say "Obviously, no one has anything to add to this thread. Get over it." [But I don't...]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2013, 03:06 PM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by NicholeCView Post
Along this same line, I get really annoyed with people who "bump" a thread over and over without adding anything else. I'm subscribed to a couple threads where 1/2 the posts are the same person posting "bump." Sometimes I just want to post and say "Obviously, no one has anything to add to this thread. Get over it." [But I don't...]
This made me laugh out loud!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2013, 03:25 PM   #27  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Some hostesses bump to keep their thread near the top to get more people to sign up for their swaps, so I understand that.

My peeve is when someone posts a card and then in the description it says go to my blog for more information. Then you go to their blog and they have absolutely nothing more to help me with that card! That's happened a lot this week. I have found some really wonderful cards and the creator has said to visit their blog and nothing there to show me how to create it. Just more pictures of it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2013, 03:39 PM   #28  
Insane Embellisher

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by GypsyRoseStamperView Post

Another minor peeve is following a thread that a person posted a question about something. A week or two goes by, and I see a number of posters have assisted in the answer----but the original poster has disappeared off the face of the earth! Don't all those posters deserve at least a brief thank you?
Hmmm, I am guilty. I often post questions on Techie sites where people , including me, have posted since the dark ages of dial-up accounts and they don't want to waste band width with thank you notes. But I Am grateful for answers, have speedy fast connections now and will pay attention to manners.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2013, 04:47 PM   #29  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by BluDragonView Post
I read this earlier but didnt think i really had any pet peeves when it came to crafting ..but...i just remembered one. Ive been watching a lot of youtube videos and it bugs me when people use washi tape to hold things down instead of masking or artist tape. I know some people have lots of washi tape but some of us dont and the bit that i have i wouldnt waste like that.
I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who feels uncomfortable seeing people waste product. I was raised by a depression era mother whose motto was, "Waste not, want not." May be some Scotch in the family also. (The ethnicity - not the beverage!) ;)
Dea

Last edited by StamperDea; 05-31-2013 at 04:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2013, 02:44 AM   #30  
Watercolor Wizard

Good list.. My only pet peeve is music.. I upload 20 blogs at a time to visit, and music is playing, I do not know which blog it is so I shut off my sound. Now if I come upon a video tutorial I have to by pass it until I find the culprit who is playing . This has been mentioned for years and you would think people get the hint. I also hate 'sneek peeks' but do love the blog hops to see what designers created with the new images.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2013, 06:23 AM   #31  
Insane Embellisher

My pet peeve is shipping charges. If I special order at Hobby Lobby, they don't charge a shipping fee. If I spend a LOT at most online vendors, there is no shipping charge. Why, then, when I spend $300 on SU do I have to pay $30 in shipping? Their products are pricey enough but then add on 10% in shipping?????? I am a demo (discount only) my discount barely covers the shipping and tax. I think 10% shipping is hard for anyone to swallow.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2013, 07:31 AM   #32  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

How about people on youtube that say um or makes many mistakes making the card? Shouldn't one be more organized before making video? And stop the music. So many videos have the music so loud or distracting I can't follow. OT but stop parking in the fire lane because you are too lazy to park 15 feet away.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2013, 10:36 AM   #33  
Mad Swapper

OK, this one is specifically for Ranger/Tim Holtz. You sell Distress markers in a cylindrical container with flat bottom and top. The markers stand on end in the container, but you are supposed to store them horizontally! Why put them in a storage container that rolls around if stored on its side??? Duh!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2013, 10:40 AM   #34  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by GypsyRoseStamperView Post
OK, this one is specifically for Ranger/Tim Holtz. You sell Distress markers in a cylindrical container with flat bottom and top. The markers stand on end in the container, but you are supposed to store them horizontally! Why put them in a storage container that rolls around if stored on its side??? Duh!
Lol thats a good one. They could have gone with a clear rectangle.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2013, 12:30 PM   #35  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by StamperDeaView Post
I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who feels uncomfortable seeing people waste product. I was raised by a depression era mother whose motto was, "Waste not, want not." May be some Scotch in the family also. (The ethnicity - not the beverage!) ;)
Dea
They do it to save time on the videos.

But I agree, I cringe when someone takes out a 12" x 12" piece of cardstock (especially double-sided: harder to find) only to punch a 1-1/2" or 2" shape not even in the corner. When I make the most of my paper, invariably if I've had to use some of a new sheet, then the next time I need that color, I can't use it because the sheet is too small.

As too bad links, sometimes it's not the poster's fault. I've saved gigabytes of .mht files for tutorials or cards to convert to Word later on, only to click on the link for the page I saved and be directed to the Home page. Once in a great while you can search for the tutorial or card name in a search engine and get lucky to be directed right to the page.

As to no spoken words on the video, would the feeling be the same if the person were speaking in non-English? I've seen a few origami tutorials in Japanese and it really didn't help me to comprehend it, as I don't speak that language. I just don't like it when they go too fast to follow; they should either keep the knowledge to themselves and not subject us to their over-inflated sense of self-importance (look what I can do! Don't you wish you could?) or if they wish to share their knowledge, then go slow enough to teach it. Again, it could be due to video length time...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2013, 04:27 PM   #36  
Pearl-ExPert

Subscribing.

hahahahaha...

I guess I'm pretty laid-back (who knew??!! Not my students!!!) but I have very little pet peeves when it comes to crafting. I mean, I don't like DOING blog hops, but I enjoy the posts because they're usually ideas showcasing a new/fresh product. I will read blog posts that are part of a hop, but I don't DO it..

These are mine:

1)Crafters who toot their own horn: "Just got happy mail!!!" "Just featured on SCS Facebook page!!!" "Just got pinned by (company name here)" "Just got married!!" lol... Maybe not the last one - that one's okay. But the rest just irks me. I mean, I do those things too, but I guess I don't need to shout it from the rooftop every time it happens..

2)20,000 items in your inlinkz. Sometimes the inlinkz (product list) is longer than the blog post. that's hillarious to me!

hmm.. that is all.. I've "let go" the whole "subscribing" thing. I started a thread about the fact that you can subscribe using a tab thingy a few years ago and after that just realized that people don't know that feature is there. Ah c'est la vie.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2013, 07:21 PM   #37  
Kookie Creator

Looking at something where you have to follow the link to the blog - but then you have to search to find the directions. Ustream videos where there's so much excess talking...I really don't want to watch you drink your coffee before starting the tutorial. Paying $5 postage for something that you put a regular stamp on. Paying more postage then the item you bought. As soon as you download several pages of directions then the revised copy is out - then you have to print again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2013, 04:46 AM   #38  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Reading thru this thread over the past few days, I've discovered that I have very few pet peeves - other than online stores that won't let you figure out your shipping until they have your credit card number. If I can't get a total for my order BEFORE giving payment info, I'm not shopping with you.

And then I thought of one more - when a poster is looking for product recommendations and specifically mentions "other than X brand" - and then the responses are all recommending the very brand that she said she didn't want! I don't care what reason she doesn't want that brand - maybe she already has a ton of it and wants to try something else; maybe she wants something she doesn't have to order from a demo, maybe she has had a terrible experience with the company that sells X brand - it doesn't matter. If you can't recommend something other than X brand, then don't reply to the thread.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2013, 05:18 AM   #39  
Embossing Fanatic

I really hate when I go to a site, decide to leave so I hit the back button on my browser and can't get out of the site without closing out of my browser tab. If a company is going to prevent me from leaving the conventional way, they won't be getting my card number. Seems unscrupulous to me!

Christi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2013, 07:48 AM   #40  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I think people expect professional studio type craft videos on You Tube and that's not fair to the average craft video maker. I'm just happy that people take the time to share when a 3 minute video can take up to 3 hours to make.
Reply With Quote Likes