Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-05-2013, 03:25 PM   #1  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What is your storage dilemma?

We all have at least one area in our craft space that is an organizational headache. Maybe you've bought into the latest trendy embellishment and it's piling up, or you need 12 of one tool in different sizes for varying reasons?

I'm so sorry. That just never happens to me... From Millan.NetYeah. I'll just be honest and tell you that I've become a washi tape fanatic, and I had to get myself a decorative tape holder just to have my stamp space back.

We want to hear about your biggest and smallest storage dilemmas. Spill it! We can be honest here. Shuffle your loved ones out of the room and dish on how much designer paper your really have. Solidarity, sister.

You never know; your idea could be the next big thing. Maybe you'll get to test the first prototype? LUCKY!

Last edited by BevMom; 07-06-2013 at 05:20 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought shelves for my craft space thinking they were gonna be the place for lots of 6 x 6 paper pads, embellies, and other stuff. I am disappointed that they just don't support enough weight to hold anything of substance. And all that stuff is ON THE FLOOR. :(

I wish I had gotten cabinets, or cubes or something that would really hold things!
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Oh no, Deb! What a disappointment! Can you re-use them somewhere?
I need a shelf just for my 6x6 paper pads too. Don't those just add up?! It's not right. Do you have that much floor space? Ha!
Pearl-ExPert

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Embossing folders. I'm an addict and own a LOT (sorry, but if I don't give the actual number, I can still pretend that it's not so many). Right now they are stored on a couple of short shelves in an entertainment center, which keeps them together and out of my way, but it's really a pain when it comes time to find the one I want - shuffle thru the whole pile, and it's usually in a spot where I've gone thru at least 75% of the stack before I find the one I want.

The problem is that I have all different sizes - A2 and 5x7, but also the small 2x2 Cuttlebug folders, some small and medium ones from Sizzix and a bunch of border sets. I'm trying to come up with a solution that lets me store all of them in one place, neatly.
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Oh man, Cheryl! I even have some embossing folders now that are 6x6! It throws off any previous organization plan I had for them. I feel ya.
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

I still battle ribbon. I can't display my ribbon in a "pretty way" where it can be seen because of two felines that like to try to choke themselves to death on ribbon. So my ribbon has to be under lock and key, or at least a lid. So what that means is it's tossed in three big bins by color but it's a loose, stringy mess and I end up not looking at it or using it.

*heavy sigh*

I need you guys to design a ribbon solution for people who are owned by cats.
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlueView Post
I still battle ribbon. I can't display my ribbon in a "pretty way" where it can be seen because of two felines that like to try to choke themselves to death on ribbon. So my ribbon has to be under lock and key, or at least a lid. So what that means is it's tossed in three big bins by color but it's a loose, stringy mess and I end up not looking at it or using it.

*heavy sigh*

Or storage solutions for houses run by dogs who like to chew. Paper and plastic are apparently delicacies. Who knew?

I have a year-old beagle pup who will steal any paper or cardboard within reach. I cannot have any open storage at dog nose level or lower. (And she's not particularly tall, but she's loooong when she stretches.)

Last weekend while doing a bit of straightening up, I accidentally left my (empty) plastic bygel containers (that were waiting for me to get around to putting the rail up) in her reach. One has the hook part completely chewed off. One is a bit scarred now and one is unharmed.

Same beagle several months ago pulled 3 of my Distress stains out of a drawer I accidentally left open. Chewed 2 of them open. I wasn't home at the time, but can you imagine my housemate's terror at seeing a small beagle pup covered in Aged Mahogany stain? :eek:

My Blog: Purple Place Designs
My Etsy
Pearl-ExPert

Ahh, Kirsty, we had beagles while I was growing up. There is no cuter puppy in the world, but I still haven't recovered from the perfect pink mary jane shoe that was chewed to bits because the closet door wasn't closed tightly enough.
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I have 3 cats, but they don't seem to care about my ribbon, even though it's all hanging prettily in front of me.
My children are another story. I catch THEM in here all the time trying to take a snippet here and there. Come to think of it..they're coming in here to get ribbon so they can play with the cats.
I'm just realizing this now...The cats have my children so well trained, it may SEEM as if the cats don't care about my ribbon, when in fact, they just don't have to TRY to care. I'm being Cat Punked. If ever I thought I was in control..all is lost.From Millan.Net
Matboard Maniac

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wood mounted rubber stamps. I have tons and tons of them. I love them, and I don't want to take them off the wood. But my house is small and I have a real problem with storage! So, its a love-hate relationship with them!
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is paper and cardstock.

I have it neat for a while then buy more and before I know it it's all a mess again . I have individual sheets, pads, packs and they're pretty much all mixed up.

Operation paper sorter coming up soon again I think :rolleyes:
Splitcoast Platinum Partner Company

All - great discussion AND some real challenges.

Deb - I feel your pain! I recently had to use some steel angle brackets to reinforce a shelf my wife uses for paper storage because the shelf had warped so much. How much 6x6 do you have? Is there a real need for 6x6 storage separate from 12x12?

Lydia & Kirsty - Animal proofing? Who knew! That opens up a whole world of challenges.

Wood mounted stamp storage is a common request. What do you think about having shallow drawers that they could lay down in? The drawer could be about the size of a 12x12 piece of scrapbook paper, so plenty of area to set the stamps, and you could label the drawer with a helpful/descriptive phrase. The drawers could be in a cabinet with 10 or 12 drawers. What do you think?

Visit our Splitcoaststampers Gallery

Last edited by Stamp-n-Storage; 07-10-2013 at 11:27 AM.. Reason: Fixing typo. Oops!

Quote:

Originally Posted by BevMomView Post
I have 3 cats, but they don't seem to care about my ribbon, even though it's all hanging prettily in front of me.
My children are another story. I catch THEM in here all the time trying to take a snippet here and there. Come to think of it..they're coming in here to get ribbon so they can play with the cats.
I'm just realizing this now...The cats have my children so well trained, it may SEEM as if the cats don't care about my ribbon, when in fact, they just don't have to TRY to care. I'm being Cat Punked. If ever I thought I was in control..all is lost.
BWAHAHAH! Yepper.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamp-n-storage
Wood mounted stamp storage is a common request. What do you think about having shallow drawers that they could lay down in? The drawer could be about the size of a 12x12 piece of scrapbook paper, so plenty of area to set the stamps, and you could label the drawer with a helpful/descriptive phrase. The drawers could be in a cabinet with 10 or 12 drawers. What do you think?
YES. This is exactly how I want to store them. About half my retired wood mount stamps are in an old library card catalog grouped by theme and I love it but I'm out of space. Also card catalogs are REALLY expensive. But I need lots of storage. A large cabinet with something similiar to printer's trays or map drawers, etc. would be IDEAL. In Tiffany Blue. kthxbai
Cardstock Collector

I have seen people use pizza boxes to store wood mounted stamps. It wouldnt work for me, though, because, "out of sight, out of mind"!
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

BWAHAHAH! Yepper.

YES. This is exactly how I want to store them. About half my retired wood mount stamps are in an old library card catalog grouped by theme and I love it but I'm out of space. Also card catalogs are REALLY expensive. But I need lots of storage. A large cabinet with something similiar to printer's trays or map drawers, etc. would be IDEAL. In Tiffany Blue. kthxbai
I had seen a cabinet built by someone's husband with many shallow shelves, and the drawers were those acrylic box photo frames that Michael's always has on sale. Her frames were bigger than 8x10, though. I'm not sure how big they make 'em
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Proud Fan Club Member
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to ashjoy

Mine is 12x12 paper, its in 2 milk crates and doesn't look nice compared to the rest of my room.
Polyshrink Goddess

Mine is ribbon. I keep it all bunched up in a drawer. I can't use one of those nice ribbon holder shelves because of all the dust around here.
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbetView Post
Embossing folders. I'm an addict and own a LOT (sorry, but if I don't give the actual number, I can still pretend that it's not so many). Right now they are stored on a couple of short shelves in an entertainment center, which keeps them together and out of my way, but it's really a pain when it comes time to find the one I want - shuffle thru the whole pile, and it's usually in a spot where I've gone thru at least 75% of the stack before I find the one I want.

The problem is that I have all different sizes - A2 and 5x7, but also the small 2x2 Cuttlebug folders, some small and medium ones from Sizzix and a bunch of border sets. I'm trying to come up with a solution that lets me store all of them in one place, neatly.
I have the same problem with embossing folders. Currently I use a narrow wooden box I made dividers for. I'm always on the lookout for something better.
LSN
Glitter Guru

My stamping dilemma is for my PTI stamp pads and reinkers. The stamp pads themselves are comma shaped. Do you know if any of your current ink pad holders work with the PTI ink pads? I'll see if I can ask one of the PTI owners for the exact dimensions of the ink pads.

Linda
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSNView Post
My stamping dilemma is for my PTI stamp pads and reinkers. The stamp pads themselves are comma shaped. Do you know if any of your current ink pad holders work with the PTI ink pads? I'll see if I can ask one of the PTI owners for the exact dimensions of the ink pads.

Linda
I have all my paisley-shaped PTI pads in one of the 48 pad holders. I need to cut foam spacers so they don't slide to the back of the compartments. Right now I'm just careful to not push them all the way back. I don't know if the Distress-sized holders would work better, I believe the dimensions of the slots are shallower and narrower than the regular ink pad holder.

My Blog: Purple Place Designs
My Etsy
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Stamp-n-Storage does have THIS wonderful video on making spacers for your ink pad holders. It's pretty genius, and I bet it would work for the odd paisley-shaped pads.
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Quote:

Originally Posted by debdebView Post
I bought shelves for my craft space thinking they were gonna be the place for lots of 6 x 6 paper pads, embellies, and other stuff. I am disappointed that they just don't support enough weight to hold anything of substance. And all that stuff is ON THE FLOOR. :(

I wish I had gotten cabinets, or cubes or something that would really hold things!
Deb, I have shelves similar to these. I did NOT pay this much... I got the $65 each version, they hold up to 150# per shelf... I should have gotten the $85 ones as they are a foot longer... the nice thing is you decide how high each shelf gets put and NO TOOLS required... Whitmor Supreme 5-Tier Shelving - Black : Target
Cardstock Collector

Default Stuff and storage

I have 4 white bookcases with adjustable shelves and 3 6 foot heavy duty folding tables. My computer is on one table with lots of stuff. I have been Collecting Stuff since 2004. OOH! also have 9-3 shelf plastic thingy's and 2- 6 shelf plastic thingy's. My embossing folders/dies are in a large metal cookie container on the one table with Big Shot/MM cutter/printer/round hang up rack for stickers/rub ons/etc.. I also have a large round metal basket thing that holds 6x6 pads, 5 wire racks for paper and special SU papers are in plastic covers on a bookshelf. If things/stuff aren't where I can readily see them, they will never get used. I have put up extension rods for holding punches and one of those 36 inch ribbon holder things, that is overflowing, plus I have added one long wire shelf between bookcases and 2 wooden shelves in the upper area. No where else to go, so I really need to spend more time in my room doing my thing. My room is 9x13 and overlooks our screened porch. If I live to 200, I will never be able to use everything, and yet there always seems to be something I just have to have. What an illness 'More stuff' is!!
Kookie Creator

My problem is I need my storage portable. I really don't have a space to put a craft room. I've got large shoe boxes with my stamps that are in the SU! cases and a few loose wood mount ones, until I get the new SU! cases.

Paper is everywhere! It's in cardboard magazine holders, some totes for 12x12 paper that I rarely get to because stuff is stacked on the lid, 6x6's in another large shoe box. I bought a used 12x12 wire paper rack from a scrapbook store and have my loose paper and paper packs on, that practically sits in the middle of the floor.

Cutting dies are in several places, under the bed, in the closet and in another room. Embellishments aren't all fitting in the rolling organizer anymore, and stacked up next to it. I'm waiting for my CTMH order of their organizers to store my markers, washi tape and marker reinkers. They have latching lids and handles.

Just about everything in craft storage is made for putting on a shelf or your desk, I have neither.
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by BevMomView Post
I'm just realizing this now...The cats have my children so well trained, it may SEEM as if the cats don't care about my ribbon, when in fact, they just don't have to TRY to care. I'm being Cat Punked. If ever I thought I was in control..all is lost.From Millan.Net
LOL Yep, those felines are smarter than ya think! I'm owned by 3 - 2 of which think I can't craft w/o their supervison. Ribbon is their item of interest so I keep mine on the spools in a drawer. That is a storage area that IS working for me.

My embossing folders are in a basket and while it's currently working, I can see I'm going to outgrow the basket pretty quickly. I also have assorted sizes. The kitties aren't interested in embossing folders so I don't need to have it enclosed. However, I understand that all pets have different craft items of interest.
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have big problem finding storage for 12 x 12 papers. Some are plain and some are printed. I don't have any money to buy any unit or shelf. I have a corner area with some floor space behind the craft table. I was thinking about taping boxes together I got from post office to store 12x12 papers. Open to other ideas.

Embossing folders certainly are a recurring theme here!

How do you prefer to find the one you want? Flip through them? Leave a tag or label on them so you can pick it out quickly?

Would you rather have them stored in a drawer or on your desk?

Thanks!
- Brett

Kookie Creator

I like being able to flip thru them to see which one I want. I used to store mine in a drawer but am liking them out on my desk in my basket more. (The basket sits under the desk when I don't need them) They are easier to access and I can see which one is which much easier.
Hardware Hotshot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I want storage that I can use for my craft room AND take to crops. Like a stamp pad storage system that will work on my desk but is also portable to take to monthly crops or all-weekend retreats.

Also, cat-friendly is huge for ribbon. I have read too many horror stories about cats suddenly finding ribbon/string/yarn amusing and requiring surgery. My own cat ate 6" of one of her toys out of the blue one day, so now I am super cautious with my pretty ribbon and keep it in latching plastic totes or a heavy drawer. :(
Matboard Maniac

Twine. I just gotta have every color and it's gotta be the spools. The multi color twine and the new sparkly ones are just so pretty! I have several drawers filled with spools of twine and I just wish I had a better way to store/display them. When they're hidden away in a drawer, I just don't think about using it and there is just so much of it to use.
Embossing Fanatic

I primarily use Stampin' Up! products but have started adding Martha Stewart punches to my collection (the sets that come from HSN with 4 coordinating punches). I know I can use the Whale Tale Punch Storage for them (with a few shelves pulled out) but would love a unit just for them. They seem to come in 2 different heights and 4 widths so maybe something without vertical dividers and 2 different section heights? I love the products I have from Stamp-n-Storage and want to get more once my new stamp room becomes a reality (early Fall!!!).
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stamp-n-StorageView Post
Embossing folders certainly are a recurring theme here!

How do you prefer to find the one you want? Flip through them? Leave a tag or label on them so you can pick it out quickly?

Would you rather have them stored in a drawer or on your desk?

Thanks!
- Brett
Ohhh... I love the idea of a top tag or label similar to that on a manilla folder or binder divider. Hope it's OK that I answered this as I wasn't the original poster

Makalah - We recognize portability is a real need for many people. The biggest challenge to overcome is the sheer weight of everything. A fully loaded punch holder, for example, weighs close to 50 pounds. An ink pad holder is less, but still bulky. We'll give it some thought, though.
- Brett

efromhawaii - Is your twine on a round core, or wrapped around a cardboard display card? A picture of your collection would be very helpful. Thanks!
- Brett

smdap - Martha Stewart punches are a COMMON request. We're working on a couple of designs and will prioritize them for release in the next month or two, I hope!
- Brett

Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

*heavy sigh*

I borrowed this idea from Becca. The only thing I changed was I cut thick "Fun Foam" rectangles for the cards to hold the ribbon. Then I don't have creases in the ribbon . The elastic pony tail hair holders keep the ribbon from becoming tangled

Amazing Ribbon Storage That I Absolutely Love

I love that BarbaraJay!

Brett one of the things that I find frustrating in my own space is that a lot of things that are a similar size - in particular, embossing folders, Framelits and Bigz dies - have different sized and shaped storage solutions. I'd love a series of neat, uniform bins for things that are very similar in width and height like these.

I use bookshelves for most of my visible storage in my room, and I hate having storage units that are noticeably different for products that aren't that different - it makes my room look even more chaotic than it already is.

My space is so tiny that really everything is visible.

Hope that makes sense.
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by STYXROCKSMEView Post
I have big problem finding storage for 12 x 12 papers. Some are plain and some are printed. I don't have any money to buy any unit or shelf. I have a corner area with some floor space behind the craft table. I was thinking about taping boxes together I got from post office to store 12x12 papers. Open to other ideas.
I put all of my 12" x 12" and other size paper in one of these mobile totes. It easily fits in my closet and I can roll it out when I am making cards . I keep all of the 12" x 12" Designer paper sets from SU in Hefty 2 & 1/2 gallon plastic bags with a label for the name of the paper. I had to cut the red slider off the bags so the paper would fit inside. I can find what I need in a jiffy

Office Depot Brand Mobile Folding Cart With Lid 16 H x 18 W x 15 D Blue by Office Depot
Matboard Maniac

Default twine storage?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stamp-n-StorageView Post
efromhawaii - Is your twine on a round core, or wrapped around a cardboard display card? A picture of your collection would be very helpful. Thanks!
- Brett
They are all on round cores - from The Twinery and Divine Twine. I currently have 3 full drawers and a 4th (partially filled). Here's two of them.

Thanks for your interest

erin aka efromhawaii
Attached Thumbnails
What is your storage dilemma?-img-20130805-00166.jpg  
Cardstock Collector

Smile Storing Embossing Folders

I store my embossing folders in a cosmetic travel bag which looks something like the picture attached. Great for taking it along going to crops. Keep all the embossing folder packaging minus the plastic and put them together in a book ring so it becomes a flip book for easy reference.
Attached Thumbnails
What is your storage dilemma?-portable-cosmetic-bag.jpg