View Single Post
Old 07-09-2013, 02:37 PM   #18
Phantom
Proud Fan Club Member

Sorry this was my first chance to hop on today!!

Sabrina, to me, the "not quite sensible" part comes in because out of four surface areas in a traditional card, only two are really necessary most of the time, with only the front and the right-hand side of the interior being used.

Also, when I use cardstock that is colored on both sides, especially darker colors, the inside looks SO dark. Even if I add a light panel for the right-hand side, I sometimes still add one (or patterned paper) to the left-hand side to brighten it up a bit.

I also was thinking about the display option. One of my sisters saves all of the cards I make her and has a display on her wall - they aren't freestanding. Others I know use a bulletin board or a fridge magnet/clip. I used to like keeping cards around and would stand them up on a cabinet or table, but they would always fall over (sometimes with a little help from one of the cats). Because of the cats, we have a couple of tables with a piece of plexiglass cut to fit (to prevent scratch marks from their back claws) and now I slip cards under the glass instead. And for any other places I would display them, since I expect a breeze or someone walking by or a cat to knock them over, even a folded card is just going to get propped up anyway.

Kind of funny that whenever I would show DH a card, as I'd hand it to him I would say, "Don't bother opening it, there's nothing on the inside yet." 99% of the time, he'd open it anyway, lol! So I get that it's such a natural, reflexive thing. But lately we've been getting a lot of announcements (grad, save the date, etc.) that are postcard style (usually in an envelope) and that just makes sense and the idea is starting to grow on me.

I'm not sure if I'd make just postcards or not. I'd have to think about that. For now, I think I'll at least just start making unfolded cards and use envelopes.

My ideal would be to have cards be a single piece, front and back, and for 4 x 6 to be the standard size! Then they could go in sleeves in a photo album and you could see the front and back easily. That would be cool .

Thanks for sharing all of your thoughts and opinions!
artwork designed for
Inky Antics
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!