View Single Post
Old 07-04-2013, 07:36 AM   #7726
muddy otter
Directionally Challenged Parrothead

Today's interesting article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/03/op...me&ref=general

Quote:
the Civil War sealed us as a nation. The novelist and historian Shelby Foote said that before the war our representatives abroad referred to us as “these” United States, but after we became “the” United States. Somehow, as divided as we were, even as the war ended, we have become more than New Yorkers and Tennesseans, Texans and Californians.

And Gettysburg itself still matters, for the same reason Abraham Lincoln noted so eloquently in his famous address at the site on Nov. 19, 1863. The battle consecrated the “unfinished work” to guarantee “that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom — and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.”

In that way, the Civil War is less important to the descendants of those who fought in it than it is to those whose ancestors were living halfway around the globe at the time. For if you have chosen to throw your lot in with this country, the American Civil War is at the foundation of your reasons to do so.

True, we have not arrived at our final destination as either a nation or as a people. Yet we have much to commemorate.
I thought this was a thoughtful reflection, and maybe appropriate today to reflect on where we've come from, the wrongs we've worked hard to right over the years, and the work still ahead.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!