Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-16-2013, 06:46 AM   #1  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Location: At the end of a dead-end dirt road, 45.9484° N, 93.0754° W. Founded as a lumber camp in the 1870s,
Received 509 Likes on 353 Posts
Default Total Novice, needs SVG/Silhouette help!

My sister is giving me her silhouette. (she is downsizing her craft room, big time!)

I have a Cricut, love it.I bought the Expression back in 2007, then the Design Studio right after..... But I really want to enjoy the SVG files MDS has too! So ....I am so excited!

No clue how or what I need to do, never even gave any of this a thought.

Someone please tell me step by step, like you would a 10 year old, how do use this.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2013, 06:35 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I highly recommend getting the Designer Edition of Silhouette Studio if you're wanting to use a lot of SVG's. I used to use Inkscape before I got it and like Gale said it works but it's not ideal, with the DE it's super easy to open and use SVG's.

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2013, 01:48 PM   #3  

Location: At the end of a dead-end dirt road, 45.9484° N, 93.0754° W. Founded as a lumber camp in the 1870s,

you ladies are wonderful! I go pick it up tomorrow. She says it has software with it, but not sure if she understood my question of the Design Edition Software.

She is one to buy the coolest new things then never use them and passes them down to the younger sisters! YAY us!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2013, 04:24 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A little birdie told me you might want to wait until the first week of July, Silhouette just might be having a sale on the DE software ;)

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2013, 06:55 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The best deal I've been able to find when researching this is: $32.88 and it includes a $10 gift card for svgcuts.com I didn't end up purchasing this as my bundle included the DE software upgrade for free.

Silhouette Studio Designer Edition (Digital Download): SVGTools.co - Sizzix eclips, Silhouette Cameo, Sure Cuts A Lot, Silhouette Studio Designer Edition and more!

Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2013, 08:14 AM   #6  

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatherHolbrookView Post
A little birdie told me you might want to wait until the first week of July, Silhouette just might be having a sale on the DE software ;)
Give that little birdie a kiss for me! I can wait that long!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2013, 08:19 AM   #7  

Quote:

Originally Posted by lharnishView Post
The best deal I've been able to find when researching this is: $32.88 and it includes a $10 gift card for svgcuts.com I didn't end up purchasing this as my bundle included the DE software upgrade for free.

Silhouette Studio Designer Edition (Digital Download): SVGTools.co - Sizzix eclips, Silhouette Cameo, Sure Cuts A Lot, Silhouette Studio Designer Edition and more!

Hope this helps!
thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2013, 04:57 PM   #8  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

YouTube Videos are best for learning to use your Silhouette. Try CleverSomeday. Excellent! Also Debbie H aka Doodlingdebbie, Underacherrytree and others including SilhouetteAmerica. 2Tinytreasures offers start to finish project tutorials. All so very helpful and much appreciated. I have had my machine for only a week and already feel fairly proficient. Machine and software can be quick to learn with YouTube. Downloading designs is a snap and will make first projects easy peasy. But the richness inherent in the machine and software is in modifying, print n cut and designing your own projects. BTW of the SilhouetteAmerica videos I like the ones with Jen best. She writes their blog as well. My hands down favorite video author/producer for understanding the Silhouette software is CleverSomeday. She helps one understand how the software thinks and "sees" which reduces frustration and error. Her series Tracing Without Tears is wonderful. Blessings,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2013, 05:36 AM   #9  

Lots of wonderful information. Thanks for all of it!!!

I've had my grandson visiting from MO so I have not had any crafty time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2013, 06:58 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Vikkijo, another great place for all sorts of help & info for your Silhouette is UKScrappers. This forum has sections devoted to the Craft Robo/ Wishblade/ Silhouettes. ( All the same machine, just different logos). The ladies on there are very knowledgeable about the machines, and always ready to help a new owner. The other thing is that if you join up to the forum(free), after one month, you get access to all the free cutting files the members post up! Another good resource for free SVG files is Pinterest.
Reply With Quote Likes