Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-16-2013, 09:51 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a way to create a cling label?

A lot of cling mount rubber stamps don't come with a label you can put on the stamp that shows the image. Can you buy that type of clear material that is sticky on one side to stick to the stamp, and that will cling to an acrylic block? Just wondering what others have done, unless I am the only one bothered by this
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2013, 02:47 PM   #2  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

I've never done it (I am not bothered by the missing image) but I suppose if you got adhesive cling vinyl and you stamped the image onto the cling vinyl (reversed) and then adhered the cling vinyl to the ez mount (whew!!!!) you could do it. And you'd have to use a permanent ink.

Check out section #2 in this article:
SHARING CREATIVITY and COMPANY: Changing Wood Mounted Stamps to Clear Mount

Last edited by QueenOfInkland; 06-16-2013 at 02:51 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2013, 05:18 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

I guess it does sound pretty complicated, lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2013, 04:39 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

it may not be worth your while because the stamp has to be off the cushion if its already mounted. you use the stamp (with stazon) to stamp the cling side of the cushion, make sure it dries then return the stamp to the sticky side. If its unmounted you just trace the stamp on ez mount and remove the cling side backing, stamp with the stamp (using stazon) etc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2013, 05:03 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

IF it's a stamp that you are converting to cling from wood and you're reusing the cushion that's already on it and coating with repositionable glue, you can stamp the image on tissue paper (the kind you use for padding in gift bags) and put it on the cushion before coating with the glue. I read about this a while back (before SU! ever came out with their clear mounts) and tried it on a few just to see if it would work, and it does - the tissue doesn't go completely transparent when the glue is spread over it, but it's close. I'm used to not having that image on the back, though, and usually don't bother. It is quite handy for sentiment stamps, however.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2013, 07:31 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Cling without a cushion method (which works for me). Regards to whomever originally posted this I got it here but don't know the link or blog anymore.

Stamp on tissue (make a register mark on stamp and image). Line it up and glue it to back of stamp. When dry, glue thin vinyl to the stamp which will cling to acrylic blocks or will cling with a fine mist of water.

I have a "bumper sticker" that I put vinyl on clinging to the inside of my car window with basically this method (didn't need to stamp an image) and just use a fine mist to adhere.

I got my vinyl from Joann's - just make sure you get vinyl and not plastic - you want it to stick to itself. Plastic won't.

I know this doesn't really answer the question but thought it was worth sharing and may help.

Last edited by RiverIsis; 06-17-2013 at 07:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2013, 07:32 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

The only thing about putting something (anything) on the cling cushion (EZ Mount) is that you eliminate the cling characteristics completely. When you cover that cling surface with something else, you need to figure out how you intend to get your formerly cling stamp to stick to the block.

I can say from experience that the stuff sold as "cling film" to be used for the purpose of sticking your stamp to the block just doesn't do the job, for more reasons than one. I am having to replace the foam/cling vinyl option with EZ Mount.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2013, 05:41 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've stamped the back of the EZ Mount with StazOn for lots of my unmounted rubber stamps. Here's a blog post I did way back when showing how I did it.

Colorful Om: Quick demo of unmounting a stamp

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2013, 06:25 AM   #9  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts

In my mind, it is just simpler to use the Stamp-a-ma-jig (sp?) stamp positioner. the clear sheet that comes with it takes dye ink and wipes clean with a damp cloth after each use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2013, 06:25 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdjkssssView Post
I've stamped the back of the EZ Mount with StazOn for lots of my unmounted rubber stamps. Here's a blog post I did way back when showing how I did it.

This is what I do as well. It works great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2013, 12:06 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdjkssssView Post

This is perfect if you are putting rubber on new EZ Mount...but not if your stamp is already on cling foam...unfortunately! I think McDeb was talking about those ones that are already on cling foam.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2013, 03:10 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Yes, thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
This is perfect if you are putting rubber on new EZ Mount...but not if your stamp is already on cling foam...unfortunately! I think McDeb was talking about those ones that are already on cling foam.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2013, 04:14 PM   #13  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
I can say from experience that the stuff sold as "cling film" to be used for the purpose of sticking your stamp to the block just doesn't do the job, for more reasons than one.
I could not agree more and I also know this from personal experience. Of course, since I :oops: never get rid of anything, I still have the cling film in the hopes that I can use it in my artwork somehow - LOL...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2013, 04:19 PM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks for the advice!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by QueenOfInklandView Post
I could not agree more and I also know this from personal experience. Of course, since I :oops: never get rid of anything, I still have the cling film in the hopes that I can use it in my artwork somehow - LOL...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2013, 04:38 AM   #15  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by McDebView Post
A lot of cling mount rubber stamps don't come with a label you can put on the stamp that shows the image. Can you buy that type of clear material that is sticky on one side to stick to the stamp, and that will cling to an acrylic block? Just wondering what others have done, unless I am the only one bothered by this

This is how I've done my stamps and cases.

Since I've been using unmounted Rubber stamps I've never used a indexing. So this works for me.

And since I haven't been able to make my Stampin up! cling stamps. I just add them to the back of my Stamp case and then place the stamps inside the stamp case.
See photo's below for idea and to see what I'm talking about.
Attached Thumbnails
Is there a way to create a cling label?-backside-stamp-case.jpg   Is there a way to create a cling label?-inside-stamp-case..jpg  

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2013, 11:06 AM   #16  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

It is possible to make any unmounted stamp a cling stamp. I have most of my stamps unmounted from the wood, but I have left the cushion on, and placed the stickers on the foam. I have placed TackNPeel on all of my acrylic blocks so the stamps cling/stick to the block, and can then be peeled off and stored however you wish to store them.

Sometimes a stamp does not have the index sticker or perhaps the sticker was damaged in the un-mounting process. I am an extremely visual person and this bothered me, too. When that happens I simply stamp the stamp on the full sheet clear labels from Avery with a permanent ink, such as Versafine. You can find the label sheets at most office supply stores. The last step I take is to cover the sticker with a piece of clear packing tape and cut the two pieces to fit the foam stamp. That makes my sticker index permanent and I can then clean my stamp with any kind of stamp cleaner. I then stick the sticker onto the back of my stamp.

I am not sure if that will help you or not, but I have found this works great for me. The TackNPeel works great and if it gets a little less sticky, you simply wash the block and leave it to air dry. That will make your block sticky again and you are good to go. You will still have one side of your block for stamping true EZ-mounted stamps or acrylic stamps. Please feel free to ask questions if I have not explained this clearly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2013, 06:15 PM   #17  
Embossing Fanatic

I have used Annie's approach on my unmounted stamps as well...except that I coat the sticker on the back of the stamp with glue from my fat Zig pen and let that dry overnight instead of adding the adhesive to the block. This works well for me. I do not like to use cling stamps without an image on the back (to me, having a better idea of my placement is half the reason I buy cling stamps vs. wood-block other than the obvious storage savings) and have mostly stopped buying them from manufacturers who don't put them on there for me. I actually would prefer a wood-block to a cling stamp without the image...but anyway...thank you to Annie for sharing your method of adding the image to clings with the extra layer of tape. I was using window cling sticker material to print and stamp and all kinds of things with the images on the back but could not find a method that allowed me to add my glue to the back. Don't you love when the answer is right in front of your face?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2013, 03:53 AM   #18  
Kookie Creator

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Surely if you cover the cling surface it stops it being cling? It requires the static between the mount and the block to work.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2013, 04:27 AM   #19  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I've also used the layer of thin black foam and vinyl method waaaay back in the day and it sucks! The thin black foam was great but the vinyl never stuck well at all! I'd never recommend it. SU!s sticker labels are horrible. I hate them! Even misted they don't stick for me! Ugh! I use a stamp positioner or aggressively cut the edges of the stamp so I have no extra rubber around the stamp. Helps me see the outline which makes placement easier.

I also create a 'horizon' line or 'straight' line for myself on my UM rubber in permanent marker so I know how to line the stamp up on a block. I place a ruler across the image showing where straight is. For a sentiment across the bottom of the letters, for an image, some horizontal reference line. Then I mark a tiny dot at the edges of each side of the rubber. I turn this dot into a line from the edge around the side of the stamp to the back across the EZ mount if there is any.

Now I know where to place the stamp on my grid blocks so they go on straight. I use a fine marker and take care my lines stay straight as I mark them around to the back. AND I test stamp them on a straight line before working on my project each time. I just draw a line on scratch paper to make sure they are aligned. Sounds complex but once each stamp is marked, all I do is test stamp which is something I tend to do anyway. So all it adds is drawing one quick line which is way faster than getting out a SAMJ!!
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2013, 06:57 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathleen McView Post
Surely if you cover the cling surface it stops it being cling? It requires the static between the mount and the block to work.
Yes, that is 100% correct I've never understood - if SU! wants us to use their labels as cling, and if they insist that the labels cling well, then why go thru the expense and bother of mounting them on the white cling foam? They could just put everything on the same grey foam and those who wanted cling could add the labels; otherwise they would stick to the wood mounts.

I'm another who HATES the SU! cling labels and doesn't use them. I've also tried the static cling vinyl as a mounting method in the past and disliked it enough that I pulled all of it off and switched to EZ Mount. I really don't care if I have an index image on the back of the stamp - for alphabets, I mark the letter on the back to make it easier to read the word I've formed and make sure it's correct, and if the shape of the stamp is such that I can't tell which edge is the top, I'll mark that with a small arrow, but that's good enough for me.
Reply With Quote Likes