Old 06-14-2013, 03:14 AM   #11
dini
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelnorth View Post
Great video Dina and fabulous samples!

Can I add just one thing to your commentary? You're right that you can use pretty much anything over anything else to add shading but the one thing you shouldn't do is use an alcohol marker (Copic' Spectrum Noir, ShinHan etc) over a waxy pencil (Prismacolor, Derwent Colorsoft etc). The solvent in the ink will "dissolve" the wax base of the pencil and you'll gum up your marker nib. Doing it the other way round is great though (pencil over the top of a marker base).
Thank you, Joanne! Great point. I actually use an alcohol blender for pencil blending when I travel... (I know Copic doesn't recommend that, but I don't always listen!) ...so YES - do be aware that alcohol markers will act as a solvent on your wax or oil based pencils, and you may end up with residue on your marker. They are not friendly over acrylic paint either, and will leave your work sticky for a while.

Acrylic paints will resist water-based mediums, so that combination won't work really well for shading either. I do love pencil over acrylic though - it picks up all the brush strokes and wrinkles.

As always, experiment with what you have, and see what works for you... if you're worried about damaging your supplies, ask first.

The 'rule of thumb' I have read for mixed media is a principle from oil painting - 'fat over lean' - basically, use your heavier-bodied mediums over lighter or waterier ones. Not sure if that make sense.

If you hear a voice within you say you cannot paint,
then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.
Vincent Van Gogh

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!