Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-06-2013, 05:36 PM   #1  
Gallery Gazer

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Question Do you still buy edge punches?

I was thinking today that haven't bought an edge punch for over a year (probably more)! I still use mine of course but there are a couple that are pretty worn out and I don't plan on replacing them. With so many companies making border dies nowadays, there is quite a large range to choose from and I love them because they take up far less room and are super-easy to use - no jamming plus with the arthritis in my hands, less painful! Do you think edge punches have had their day? :confused:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2013, 06:21 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have quite a few of the edge punches by Martha Stewart and I use them often.

I also have a Cuttlebug and lots of dies, including the border dies, but my craft supplies aren't just sitting out on my table. My Cuttlebug is stored in another room, and many times it is much easier for me to just get a punch and use it, rather than fool with getting out my Cuttlebug and dies.

I think there will always be a demand for punches, of all kinds. There are lots of crafters who love to make stuff, but might not have the inclination, or the money to invest in die cutting machines and dies. Punches are a great alternative for those folks.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2013, 09:23 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

One of my favorite edge punches is no longer working and I thought I'd replace it with a die. After looking at lots and lots of websites I haven't found a die to match it so I'll be replacing it. I do use my edge punches a lot since they sit in a basket near my desk and are convenient. My dies are in binders and I try to cut a bunch of dies that I'll need all at once.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2013, 05:19 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 288 Likes on 114 Posts

I think punches are faster and easier (for me) to just grab and punch and move on, rather than fooling around with placement, the "sandwich", and all of that. I love dies and have a few borders, but I still like my punches!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2013, 06:17 AM   #5  
Forum Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 17 Posts

I haven't bought an edge punch in a long time. I have 4-5 but I only use 2. Punches are faster but I like the longer life of thin dies.

I don't think I'll buy anymore edge punches, but I will still buy other punches as they are so easy to use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2013, 07:10 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

I can't say I've bought one in a while, but I often prefer them to dies. Some of the dies only cut a fixed length and can't be repeated if you want more than 6" (or less, in some cases). If I saw a border punch I really liked, I'd get it - but the weight of them makes them expensive on international shipping so they are something I buy frugally.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2013, 04:37 PM   #7  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sadly, yes...but do I USE them?

BLOG : The Papercraft Place

You Tube: kelley3684
Guest Designer for "Midnight Madness"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2013, 06:24 PM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

It's interesting seeing other people's point of view. For me being in Australia and no scrapbooking stores around where I live, I have to buy everything online and a Martha Stewart edge punch here is around $28 (about the same as US$) plus postage - around $10 - which makes a punch $38 :shock: If I buy from the US, the punch is cheaper but the postage is phenomenal because it's so heavy. There seemed to be an explosion of edge punches a couple of years ago and I couldn't wait for every new release - but now there doesn't seem to be many released that I am aware of (I may be wrong). I am so glad there are border dies that are really cheap to post in comparison!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2013, 08:20 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoBear2View Post
It's interesting seeing other people's point of view. For me being in Australia and no scrapbooking stores around where I live, I have to buy everything online and a Martha Stewart edge punch here is around $28 (about the same as US$) plus postage - around $10 - which makes a punch $38 :shock: If I buy from the US, the punch is cheaper but the postage is phenomenal because it's so heavy. There seemed to be an explosion of edge punches a couple of years ago and I couldn't wait for every new release - but now there doesn't seem to be many released that I am aware of (I may be wrong). I am so glad there are border dies that are really cheap to post in comparison!
Gosh, Jocelyn, you just can't win - with postage, or prices, either way you have to pay a premium for your supplies. Those of us who live where there are craft stores practically on every corner are very spoiled. I am lucky to live in a large metropolitan city where there are multiple Michaels, Joann's and Hobby Lobby stores.

I admire you for continuing to pursue this hobby and being creative in spite of obstacles that I don't have to face.

I'm happy for you that the border dies have become popular and that you can save a bit on postage with them.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2013, 09:03 PM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

Hi Bugga, yes, it can be difficult and very frustrating especially when I just want a piece of cardstock to match some designer paper but have to get it online - and matching colours is really hard looking at your computer screen! Because our cities have small populations, it is very difficult for a scrapbooking store to survive in these difficult economic times. We used to have lots but most have closed :( And even the online only Australian stores are disappearing at an alarming rate. There is a Craft Show on twice a year that we have which is about 30 minutes drive from where I live so I usually stock up when I go!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2013, 09:36 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

I fit into the collector category....I still buy them....but using them is another story.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2013, 04:29 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

I no longer buy any kind of punches or dies. I have my Cricut Mini hooked up to my Gypsy and always ready to go. The down side to this though, is that there are soooooooo many borders and shapes to choose from it can take me an inordinate amount of time just picking out what I want to use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2013, 07:44 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by sewnmachineView Post
I no longer buy any kind of punches or dies. I have my Cricut Mini hooked up to my Gypsy and always ready to go. The down side to this though, is that there are soooooooo many borders and shapes to choose from it can take me an inordinate amount of time just picking out what I want to use.
You make a very good point. Sometimes too many choices can be problematic. What happened to the good old days of just chocolate, strawberry or vanilla? :mrgreen:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2013, 04:26 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
You make a very good point. Sometimes too many choices can be problematic. What happened to the good old days of just chocolate, strawberry or vanilla? :mrgreen:
I'm still a vanilla girl, myself (although I'm kinda, sorta grateful that they invented cookie dough )

I've resisted any of the electronic cutting systems for exactly the reason that sewnmachine brought up! I've had "kid in a candy store" issues in every area of my life (you should see my resume - can you say "job hopper"?) - I want to try it all - and having too many choices freezes me in my tracks! One of my most vivid childhood memories is of my kindergarten teacher bending down to yell in my face, "Just DO something!" because I couldn't choose between the clay, the paint, the pastels, the crayons, etc., so I was just standing in the middle of the room debating with myself - oh, the pressure! Yeah, don't give me too many options...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2013, 04:30 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoBear2View Post
Thank you for reminding me (again) how truly blessed I am to have all I could want (and then some) readily available and easily accessible to me. Glad that the dies are a less-costly alternative for you! I appreciate them for their compact size - so easy to tuck into a storage system!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2013, 07:50 AM   #16  
Embossing Fanatic

I like them for quick fixes. I have some Fiskars and Martha Stewart ones, but I don't feel like I need a ton since I have a Cricut and a Cameo!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2013, 02:51 PM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaileysMamaView Post
I like them for quick fixes. I have some Fiskars and Martha Stewart ones, but I don't feel like I need a ton since I have a Cricut and a Cameo!
WOW! Talk about having alot of choices! I'd be paralyzed with indecision. I generally have 4 go to cartridges that will give me any shape I want. Which is fine, except that then I start acting all fancy and thinking outside my comfort zone. Then I'm riffling through handbooks...... Sometimes I look at my Nesties.... but then head right back to my Cricut. It usually takes me about 1/2 hour to come full circle.
But I still use my Corner Chomper and Crop-o-Dile.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2013, 05:40 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have several border punches but since I have the Cricut and Sihouette I rarely purchase anymore of them. I did cave the last time HSN had Martha's punches online. I got my first order a couple of months ago and I was on autoship for the next group of punches. However, I just cancelled the autoship today. I decided I am not using these punches enough to justify buying more that will just sit on the shelf.

I am a life artist and love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2013, 07:21 PM   #19  
Compulsive Stamper

Well, for all of you that have MS punches you are no longer using, I might be interested in purchasing. I am looking for more of the craft punches than edge punches, but there are a few edge punches I would like to purchase. You can email me at [email protected] or pm me.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2013, 04:37 AM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I'm still a vanilla girl, myself (although I'm kinda, sorta grateful that they invented cookie dough )

I've resisted any of the electronic cutting systems for exactly the reason that sewnmachine brought up! I've had "kid in a candy store" issues in every area of my life (you should see my resume - can you say "job hopper"?) - I want to try it all - and having too many choices freezes me in my tracks! One of my most vivid childhood memories is of my kindergarten teacher bending down to yell in my face, "Just DO something!" because I couldn't choose between the clay, the paint, the pastels, the crayons, etc., so I was just standing in the middle of the room debating with myself - oh, the pressure! Yeah, don't give me too many options...
Oh, I thought it was just me who freezes when I get too many choices; it just seems to overwhelm me and I am paralysed. And I find this not only with card making but with other hobbies I have like knitting, crochet, embroidery and decorative (tole) painting - yet I love my hobbies and I get such a thrill out of finishing my various projects. I wish I knew why.......

I confess to knowing nothing about electronic cutting machines - perhaps that is a good thing! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2013, 01:17 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Since punches require far more room to store than thin dies, I think thin dies are "in." Evenso, you may not be able to find exactly what you want in a thin die, whereas, you may be able to find it as a punch. I have some crafty acquaintances who have no desire to buy a manual or electronic cutter. They will probably use their punches forever, and keep adding to their collection. Though their availability may be more limited as time passes, I think punches are here to stay.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2013, 02:07 AM   #22  
Cardstock Collector

Heart

I absolutely LOVE my punches! I have many punches that I use constantly, and then again there are some that sit in the drawer that I don't think I've ever used. I have two cricut machines (one a mini), a big shot and lots and lots of dies, etc. but I still tend to use my punches more often than I do the other machines. All are within arms reach but the convenience of using punches makes me wonder why I bought the other items in the first place. Will I still buy punches, you betcha!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2013, 03:24 AM   #23  
Compulsive Stamper

It's interesting to see how die cutting has evolved over the years. I used to buy die-cuts at our local craft store before they disappeared (too hard for the store to keep them pristine and in order). So then I started buying punches to use in my scrapbook projects This was long before Martha Stewart got into that market. I was enabled by a super scrapbook store that carried a lot of unique punches and I had a hard time limiting myself to just one or two each visit so I now have a drawer full of them. Luckily for my wallet the store closed. :p I did jump on the bandwagon for the SU shape punches, Fiskar and EK edge punches and Martha's around-the-page punches and now have quite a collection of those, but I do use them. For me, it's just so much quicker to whip them out, punch what I need, and get on with the project. I have a Cricut machine and a Cuttlebug and I've purchased all the circle-oval-square Nestibilities as well as a few of the thin dies, but I'm trying to adopt a new philosophy that it's more important to use it than own it. Wish me luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2013, 04:18 AM   #24  
Gabfest Goddess

Yes, still use mine occasional but use my other punches all the time, love punches!

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2013, 04:27 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaymuxmanView Post
Well, for all of you that have MS punches you are no longer using, I might be interested in purchasing. I am looking for more of the craft punches than edge punches, but there are a few edge punches I would like to purchase. You can email me at [email protected] or pm me.

Thanks!
I just sent you an email. I have some you may be interested in purchasing.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2013, 06:03 AM   #26  
Kookie Creator

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I think i'd use my edge punches more if I thought they'd cut thru card and wouldn't break. One of my ms punches has already broken trying to go thru cardstock and I know lots of other people who have had ms punches break on them. I know with dies it will always cut thru the card.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2013, 06:35 AM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love punches. That's how I got started on this crazy card making ride. I started with the beginnings of punch art. Now that SU! has some elegant punches that have matching stamp sets. I can't resist. Of course I buy all the bundles with framelits and stamps sets too. I'm a non-discrimanating buyer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2013, 08:23 AM   #28  
Matboard Maniac

I think I'm finally at a place where I have mostly everything I'm ever going to need. Unless something breaks and needs replacing, I tend to only buy consumables like inks and glue now. However, I agree with everyone who said the punches are so convenient. Stampin' Up makes lovely punches that lock down flat and are so easy to just pull out and make a tag or a circle, and toss back in the basket. I can see myself buying more SU punches, if I had the room........
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2013, 08:58 AM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by mferrisView Post
I'm trying to adopt a new philosophy that it's more important to use it than own it. Wish me luck!
That's pretty much where I am right now, too! I haven't created anything of note since before Christmas, and it's starting to get on my last nerve... I finally finished the stamp reorganization/storage revamp project, so once our kitchen remodel is done and I can think about something else (we're doing all of the work ourselves), I should be good to go!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2013, 11:28 AM   #30  
Glitter Queen

LOVE my edge punches...I, too, keep them close by and ready to go when I don't want to get out the big equipment. Some of the old Fiskar ones I had did not work so well on cardstock. I have not had any problems with the Stampin' Up! edge punches so I prefer those.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2013, 04:13 PM   #31  
Kookie Creator

I'm not a big fan of edge punches. It's too much work to line them up repeatedly to get a longer piece of cardstock cut perfectly. For edging I definitely prefer dies just because I lay it down once, cut and I get a perfect border. But I do prefer a punch around a stamped image. Sometimes trying to line up a die around an image is too aggravating. I use painters tape to hold the die in place while cutting but even then sometimes the die is just a tad off center and then I get an uneven border around my image.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2013, 05:01 PM   #32  
Glitter Queen

After just fooling around all afternoon trying to get Respendent Rectangles to cut on my Cuttlebug, I'd rather have a punch that actually works. I getting tired of trying to pad places where the die doesn't cut, and turning it every which way going thru the Bug and trying all sorts of shims. However, for a really pretty beautiful card, sometimes you have to use the dies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2013, 06:50 PM   #33  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 501 Likes on 222 Posts

Well, there's a new edge punch in the holiday catty that I just HAVE to have!

Jen...I've found that turning the punch over when doing the matching punches and actually looking at what I'm doing helps a lot.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2013, 07:25 PM   #34  
Glitter Queen

Yes, I usually punch from the "back" also as I find I can match up most punches better that way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2013, 09:25 PM   #35  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I never buy punches anymore. If a die I buy has a solid finished end and I want a longer border, I just leave the end hanging off the end of the cutting plates and line it up to cut again.

They take way too much room to store and many don't punch the thick Cardstock I use 99.9% of the time very well. I HATE that. Or they leave fuzzy edges. I do use the punches I still own sometimes but I won't be buying new ones. I have one favourite, a mini scallop with a tiny hole in each scallop and if it died I might replace it. That's probably it.

One more exception might be if I was making multiples but I managed to make 240 wedding favours one die cut at a time so if I can do that, only a serious time limit would make me go back to punches, if the shape I wanted was even available!
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2013, 02:06 AM   #36  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my punches, even tho' I have a Big Shot and Silhouette Cameo. Sometimes it's just easier to grab a punch and "git 'r done" than to go thru the process with either of my machines. That being said, it's been quite awhile since I bought a new edge punch. I'm having a hard time justifying the considerably higher price of a punch over a die or cutting file.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2013, 04:34 AM   #37  
Rubber Obsessor

I barely touch my punches. I have a few drawers full of them and would much rather use my dies. A big problem is you have to cut paper with them. Anything weightier gets jammed. I ended up giving a bunch a way last year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2013, 06:41 PM   #38  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca EdnieView Post
I never buy punches anymore. If a die I buy has a solid finished end and I want a longer border, I just leave the end hanging off the end of the cutting plates and line it up to cut again.

They take way too much room to store and many don't punch the thick Cardstock I use 99.9% of the time very well. I HATE that. Or they leave fuzzy edges. I do use the punches I still own sometimes but I won't be buying new ones. I have one favourite, a mini scallop with a tiny hole in each scallop and if it died I might replace it. That's probably it.

One more exception might be if I was making multiples but I managed to make 240 wedding favours one die cut at a time so if I can do that, only a serious time limit would make me go back to punches, if the shape I wanted was even available!
Oh, the fuzzy edges are annoying or when the punch gets jammed. I have had this happen alot and I have often thought that the manufacturers should have made the punches stronger so they would cut through thicker cardstock especially when it was one of the more detailed designs because that is what most people would be cutting anyway :rolleyes:

Wonder if your favourite edge punch is the MS Lace Doily? That is my favourite and the 1st punch I ever bought but it is worn out and I thought about replacing it because I saw it on sale super-cheap but then bought a My Favorite Things Die-namics Faux Crochet border die instead. It's so pretty and I know I won't get any fuzzy edges - plus I can use it to diecut felt and material. A few days ago, I used a MFT chevron stripes die to diecut felt to sew onto a little owl egg cosy - a present I made for my DD's 10th birthday in a few weeks - my first time using a die to cut felt and I have to say that it was brilliant. I love that you can use dies to cut things other than cardstock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2013, 10:34 AM   #39  
Rubber Obsessor

I LOVE my punches! Punches will always be in demand because they are such a quick solution to creating just that right touch on a card or a scrapbook page (instant gratification).

I have been blessed with a husband who understands my passion for creativity and continues to be supportive. I am fortunate to have a Cricut, Big Shot, and Sizzix Texture Boutique (I like better than Cuddlebug even though it only embosses). I also have quit a selection of Nestability dies that I love as well. I use my punches every time I craft, along with my Big Shot (& Nesties) for the focal point of a card or page. My Cricut is only used for very specific projects because I refuse to spend too much money on all those cartridges because they can get very spendy. I think my money is better spent on my supplies; good cardstock, embellishments, etc. or more punches but that's just me.

I began this card making, scrapbooking passion believing that not only could I make exactly what I wanted in the way of colored, textured cards and scapbooking pages but I would be saving money. Ha! I would be embarrassed to admit how much money I have invested in this hobby of mine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2013, 12:36 PM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thought I would pass this along. HSN is having a sale on several MS punches today. Great discounts on these.

Reply With Quote Likes