Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-22-2013, 03:55 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 288 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Alcohol marker organization question

I've seen quite a few various "containers" for markers - cubbies, totes, plastic boxes/bins, etc., but I have a question for any/all of you avid colorers (is that a real word?): Do you organize by color number? Do you group colors that blend well together with each other? What have you found that works well? I'm sort of baby-stepping into this realm and I'm kind of an organizational freak, so I'd like to get some ideas to head me in the right direction here... Thanks!

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2013, 04:37 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sue, this is one of the few areas of organization that I'm not too particular about. I used to have all of my alcohol markers in a desktop enamel bin - with a few dividers but I only loosely grouped them by blues, greens, reds, etc. I color enough that I knew the colors by the caps - I didn't use the Copic numbering system very much but just learned by using them which ones worked well together.

Now I have Snapware containers for my Spectrum Noir markers (they fit easily, and so should Copics - I had those first and I'm selling them), and I have them sorted in 7 Snapware containers by color/number ... reds, blues, greens, pink/purple, neutral, etc. With these, I do use the numbers as guides and they are easily visible through the side of the Snapware.

I purchase them at Target - they are like this but different colors: http://www.snapware.com/products/sna...ge-6x9-3layers)

This works great for me . My total storage area consists of a big drawer and half of a closet, plus two DVD towers for stamps. I cannot leave very much out all of the time. I am used to pulling out what I need onto a good-sized work table, so box storage works well for me. If I could have desktop organizers with every item within easy reach, I'd probably do that instead.

By the way, a good tip when using plastic storage containers like Snapware or Sterilite drawers (e.g., the stacking sets of three 12 x 12 drawers which are my other primary storage items) is to label them with permanent marker. The marker can be easily wiped away by scribbling first with a dry erase marker.

Have fun organizing !!

Last edited by Phantom; 05-22-2013 at 04:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2013, 11:16 AM   #3  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

The alcohol markers that I use are Copics. I purchased an ArtBin Super Satchel Double Deep container and the marker trays. I have a lot of Copics and it stores all of them in one place, with room for some liners, and space to add more markers in the future. I have always organized them by color family and I now have them in numerical order within the color families. I tend to blend colors based on their color numbers, so this really works well for me. The box is quite large, but if you have a smaller collection there is a half size box available, too. I frequently take my Copics with me when I am on road trips and I color in several areas throughout the house, so having them all packed in one box works great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2013, 05:39 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

annie*, I liked reading your post about the ArtBin Super Satchel.

After I already had the Snapware, I purchased the Semi-Satchel for my 6 x 6 paper and saw the one you have. Had I not already gone the Snapware route, I'm pretty sure I would have gone with the Super Satchel too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2013, 07:36 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

I liked it, too! Do you have photos that you could upload for us to see it in action? I'm just starting out, like I said, and have a variety so far (Prismacolor, Bic, Spectrum Noir, Copic) so I would be interested to know how deep the interior is. The specs only give the outside dimensions. I'm guessing that the Prismas would be the only ones that might be a tad too long to stand upright...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2013, 05:48 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 499 Likes on 221 Posts

Sue, while I don't have alcohol markers, I do have 2 other types of markers...and prismas...and watercolor pencils...and watercolor crayons...and I'm planning to add inktense to that collection.

So, I do have to stay organized or I'd go crazy! I have several pencil storage units that I "scavenged" from a local art store that hold all my coloring tools. I have mine in those bins first by media type then by color. To apply that to your situation, I would have those markers grouped by color group first and each bin would hold a couple of color groups...arranged by hue (color).

So the bins would look something like these:
http://studio3solutions.net/images/CopicCubbies.jpg
http://www.sparkletart.com/.a/6a0120...52a0970c-320wi
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_kmtzc9VAXI...0/04141014.jpg
Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

Here's an interesting storage that puts the color groupings in individual bins:
http://www.scrapbook.com/gallery/cac...proom354_1.jpg

But I have seen other ideas that are meant to be portable:
http://copicsforbreakfast.files.word...ic-caddy-2.jpg
http://img2.etsystatic.com/006/0/653...62978_7253.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_k_oSa7apd_...ic+Storage.jpg

And then there's the "official" copic storage:
http://www.mccallisters.com/images/c...rstd_stand.jpg
http://niche-desktop-testing.s3.amaz...orage-Case.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-eJvB4l6kMV...0/DSCF1843.JPG

There's a gazillion ideas online if you google "copic storage".
PLUS, here's a search on Pinterest...some great ideas there too.
http://pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=copic%20storage

Here's a neat idea:
http://media-cache-is0.pinimg.com/19...b7abaad498.jpg
not storage, but great organizational idea!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.

Last edited by fionna51; 05-24-2013 at 05:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2013, 06:09 AM   #7  
Forum Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 17 Posts

I recently bought a marker storage rack that I love. I've tried several solutions (cubes, bins, etc.) and now I have a rack that is similar to my other marker/pen storage units.

http://www.crafterscompanion.com/The...age_c_185.html

I have Copic Ciao and Sketch markers and this rack hold both. This rack is not a portable solution, but I don't need to travel with my markers so it's not a problem.

I sort my Copics by number not by blending. Also, I buy individual markers, not sets because too often I've found that when I buy sets of anything, there is always some colors I just don't use.

Last edited by stamphappy1650; 05-24-2013 at 06:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2013, 12:22 PM   #8  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I liked it, too! Do you have photos that you could upload for us to see it in action? I'm just starting out, like I said, and have a variety so far (Prismacolor, Bic, Spectrum Noir, Copic) so I would be interested to know how deep the interior is. The specs only give the outside dimensions. I'm guessing that the Prismas would be the only ones that might be a tad too long to stand upright...
Sorry I was so slow to respond. Fionna51 beat me to the picture. She has some great ideas and I found the Pintrest link to have many pictures of the ArtBins in action.

There are some ridges on the bottom inside of the box. When I added my Copics into the box some of their ends rested on the bottom of the box and some of them rested on the ridges. This left them at slightly different levels on the top and being a bit OCD that drove me crazy. I put a layer of thin foam core on the bottom of my box, so that all of the markers would be even on the tops. The lid/cover fits very snugly over my Copics, but it does fit and I am happy they are all the same height and now they are easy to grab the one I need.

I measured inside of the box from the bottom to the top of the box minus my foam core and it is just slightly more than 6 inches. Copics fit great, but a Tombow or Distress marker would be too tall to stand upright in the box.

Previously I had stored my Copics in a metal picnic tote that I purchased years ago in the Spring or Summer from Target. They have them as a seasonal item. The tin had 6 individual sections and I could put two Crystal Light oval containers in each section. I could put a color family of Copics in each of the containers and the lids fit easily. That was a very nice storage solution. The markers were always covered when not in use and the tin was very portable. I was a little sad to give up that storage method, but my markers were just getting a little too snug. I now have about as many markers as I plan to buy, unless they come out with some new colors that I think I have to have.

Hopefully you can find a great solution that works for you. Plan for expansion, because they seem to breed in captivity ;)!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2013, 06:32 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks, everyone, for all of the great information! I've looked at all of the links and all of the pics and I think I'm starting to percolate an idea that could work for me... I really, really like the idea of using the ceiling light ("egg crate") grids in some type of container. It seems like a very affordable, DIY-friendly way to go! I'll post pics if/when I get a chance to put something together. Right now we're trying to button up a kitchen remodel, so other things are kind of on the back burner... Thanks again, all!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2013, 10:56 AM   #10  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

I've seen quite a few various "containers" for markers - cubbies, totes, plastic boxes/bins, etc., but I have a question for any/all of you avid colorers (is that a real word?): Do you organize by color number? Do you group colors that blend well together with each other? What have you found that works well? I'm sort of baby-stepping into this realm and I'm kind of an organizational freak, so I'd like to get some ideas to head me in the right direction here... Thanks!
I'm relatively new to "coloring," and invested in a set of Spectrum Noir on sale. Until I get more experience, I'm organizing by color number, as that seems to work for me as far as blending/etc. is concerned.

I purchased a bunch of these little pencil "cups" on sale, and used a tape runner to glue them together into a "storage unit." Each little "triangle" compartment holds 3 pens, so each pencil cup holds 12 total. I'm happy with it so far. I did add a couple of buttons along the front bottom edge so that it tilts back just a bit.
Attached Thumbnails
Alcohol marker organization question-pen-storage.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2013, 04:47 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks for chiming in, Lana! I did use a system similar to this for a time, but I'm trying to do something with more "separation" of the individual markers. I bought one of the ceiling grid panels today, so I'm going to play with it tomorrow and see how it works out...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2013, 03:04 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Bummer! Copics may fit in those ceiling grids, but the Spectrum Noir markers and the Prismacolor markers are too chubby to fit! I have to take the panel back to Home Depot and find an alternative :(

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2013, 12:13 PM   #13  
Glitter Guru

I purchased the trays that fit the Art bin Super Satchel since I already had the container. I'm moving my Copics in there next. I had bought the Spectrum Noirs and have them in the Half Size container, I'll use the full size for my Copics. We'll see if this really works for me or not.

The Spectrum Noirs fit in the trays, I don't know about the Prismas

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2013, 08:26 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks, Denise! I may get the tray only and put it up on a shelf and forget about the satchel for now. I don't really need it to be portable, so this could work!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2013, 11:10 AM   #15  
Glitter Guru

The tray is open on the bottom, it fastens in the upper part of the bin and then the bottom of the pen rests on the bottom of the bin. It should work freestanding. I can check that out later this afternoon and let you know.

ETA:

After opening another of the trays I realized it would work if the tray sits flat on the shelf. The Copic Ciaos and Sketch are wobbly, but seem ok, the Spectrum Noirs are fine. If I were going to set them on a table or desk I would try to find a basket or make a foam board frame.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson

Last edited by ceramicat1; 06-01-2013 at 05:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2013, 05:03 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks for the extra info, Denise! I'm thinking that I'll put the tray on the shelf so that the "top" and "bottom" (open areas) become the "front" and "back", so all of the markers will be horizontal. If I have to make a frame or something for them, I'm good with that...

OT: I've always loved the quote in your signature line

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2013, 07:34 PM   #17  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Thanks for the extra info, Denise! I'm thinking that I'll put the tray on the shelf so that the "top" and "bottom" (open areas) become the "front" and "back", so all of the markers will be horizontal. If I have to make a frame or something for them, I'm good with that...

OT: I've always loved the quote in your signature line
I have mine vertical right now, but I like the idea of setting the trays horizontal. I may try that also.

Spider Robinson is one of my favorites.

― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes