View Single Post
Old 05-27-2013, 05:30 AM   #433
yellowrose46
Stazon Splitcoast

Default S2S13V Challenge Straw blowing

It seems we are all pretty busy with our gardens and other outdoor activities this spring. I have been enjoying the beautiful weather, blossoming trees and flowers and the fabulous fragrances of lilacs, lily of the valley and other flowers. I love this time of spring going into summer!
Time for another challenge. I was first alerted to this technique on a card that Sharon Madson created and have had fun teaching my grandson how to do this while I was in Austin. This technique uses glossy cardstock and reinkers. Cover your work surface with paper as this gets a bit messy. Have 4 reinkers of complimenting colours. Start with the lightest colour (although I don't think it makes much difference) and squeeze several drops on the cardstock. Blow the colour around with a drinking straw. Then go with the next colour and do the same. Ditto for the third colour. Using the darkest colour again put down drops, but use a few more this time. Take your straw and lay it sideways on the paper and draw it down. Presto, you have a fabulous background. Now you can stamp a silhouette image on it and make your card. Here is a U-tube video. The Straw Technique for Beautiful Backgrounds - YouTube
Having said all this, I changed it up a bit, as I did not have reinkers with me when I was on holiday, so I used regular cardstock and acrylic paints. For the fourth colour I love to use metallic gold. I had several cards made, but did not take a photo of them, so I made a new piece this morning but it isn't dry yet. Give this a try, it's so much fun!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!