Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-17-2013, 05:05 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 3,393 Likes on 1,169 Posts
Default Xyron machines

Does anyone use a xyron machine, if so are they worth the cost of buying one?
I keep toying with the idea but wondered if they work more expensive than buying rolls of double sided tape.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2013, 12:21 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been using my Xyron tape when cutting delicate die shapes. Memory Box has such fine cut images I can't get them to stick otherwise. I run the paper through the machine first, burnish, remove the clear layer, cut the image, carefully remove the opaque backing then stick the image where I want. I can't apply glue or Crystal Accents neatly enough to use those products as the adhesive (just me being too clumsy or messy)

Also, use the Xyron tape for sentiments and individual letters. Mostly, I use it for small/tiny items where applying glue is difficult.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2013, 05:24 PM   #3  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think they're terrific and one of my favorite tools ever. I have the 1-1/2" sticker maker and the 5" 510 which can use magnetic and laminate rolls in addition to adhesive rolls. And they have larger sizes, too.

What I found was that when I run something though (small or large xyron) I fit as much as I can so that I maximize the value that I get from the rolls.

The rolls last a good while and the xyrons are so easy and convenient to use. They greatly add to my joy are paper crafting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2013, 06:38 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Agree with Queen about maximizing the tape. Yes, it is expensive but I buy when it is on sale or with a coupon. I have the 1 1/2" and the 5" sizes. They last a long time if you place the items in and try to 'use' as much of the sticky area as possible. Just be sure you do not overlap items because than there will be areas without any stickum.

I think Xyron is a very useful and strong adhesive medium.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2013, 09:32 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks for your replies, I think I really do need one!

I agree its impossible to neatly stick those tiny letters or intricate die cuts, and it makes sense to maximise to save wastage, the idea of running the paper through the machine first sounds like a good tip , I will have to check if I can get hold of replacements tapes over here, if so I will Definitely look to buy one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2013, 03:22 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

What they all state above. I don't use it all the time but when I do need it I sure am glad I have it. If I am low I always use a 40% or 50% coupon to restock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2013, 08:59 AM   #7  
Kookie Creator

I have a little one, which I use periodically.
I have a rediculously growing collection of Memory Box dies, and I use KOOL TAK Micro Dots for adhering them.
Kool Tak Micro Dots -- CreateForLess

My LSS introduced me to this product, and it is awesome!

I am not naysaying the Xyron... just for those really intricate die cuts, this particular product is preferable. In my experience.

My avatar is my beloved corgi, Cora
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2013, 07:37 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

I have several different sizes of Xyron's and use all of them frequently except the original large one that I bought when it first came out. I use them for intricate die cuts and for layering narrow strips of paper that I use instead of ribbon and for alphabet letters.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2013, 06:26 AM   #9  
Kookie Creator

I use all three sizes of mine. The "X", the 2.5" sticker maker and the 9" wide one. I punched out about a thousand little ornaments from the SU! Merry Minis set and sat there lining them up in the big machine with tweezers to cover as much adhesive as I could. I wasn't going to sit there with a glue pen waiting for the glue to dry on my 50 Christmas cards. It would have taken longer if I didn't run them through the Xyron first.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2013, 09:35 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm thinking of buying the 5inch one, it looks like it will have to be through amazon if they will send it out here without high postage charge.

Thanks once again to you all for the info.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2013, 01:53 AM   #11  
Kookie Creator

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I think it's all about the right adhesive for the job. they are great for adding sticky to delicate items but I wouldn't use them for large areas. then it would work out expensive.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2013, 04:00 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 290 Likes on 114 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by happigirlcorgiView Post
I have a little one, which I use periodically.
I have a rediculously growing collection of Memory Box dies, and I use KOOL TAK Micro Dots for adhering them.
Kool Tak Micro Dots -- CreateForLess

My LSS introduced me to this product, and it is awesome!

I am not naysaying the Xyron... just for those really intricate die cuts, this particular product is preferable. In my experience.
These look like something that I need! Can you tell me what size the sheets are, please? I couldn't find that info at the link... Thanks!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2013, 04:51 AM   #13  
Inking Addict

There aren't sheets - it's one big long roll of adhesive (like scotch tape) that is 50 feet long by however wide the machine is: 1.5 inches, 8 inches or 9 inches. So the size of machine you buy would determine the width of the roll you use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2013, 04:59 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

I can take or leave the bigger sizes but I wouldn't be without the X model.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2013, 05:20 AM   #15  
Crimping Master

I love my Xyron. I tend to use my 510 more then the X.

I mainly use it for really intricate die cuts and punches. Oh and my alphabet die cuts too.

I usually run the paper through the machine before I die cut or punch. And it's usually not a problem unless I'm using a Martha Stewart punch. But her intricate punches are finicky anyways.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2013, 05:21 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

It's one of the first toys I bought after discovering stamping around 10-12 years ago and I still use it! My favorite use for the Xyron is to adhere vellum.....instead of using vellum adhesive (which is not as invisible as it advertises), I will run the entire vellum panel through, so that it's a giant sticker....works beautifully!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2013, 05:41 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
These look like something that I need! Can you tell me what size the sheets are, please? I couldn't find that info at the link... Thanks!
Sue - if you follow the link and then click on the link on that page for the permanent microdots (whew!) it says that the sheets are about 3 5/8" x 5 1/2".

These do look cool. I think somewhere in my endless adhesive collection, I have something like this - not the same brand, but sheets of paper with adhesive dots. I should find that and see if it's still good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2013, 07:03 AM   #18  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been wondering about these Xyron machines...

After reading all the posts I ordered the 2.5 Xyron and also a couple of packages of the microdots. I intend them for gluing down intricate dies. I'll see which I like better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2013, 07:19 AM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

I especially love using my Xyron to 'stickify' ribbon, but I also use it when I'm mass-producing cards and have some paper-piecing to do. So much faster than adding adhesive to each piece.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2013, 07:52 AM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

I started with the "X" and loved it and kept wishing I had one just a bit bigger and eventually got the 2.5in one. I used both quite a bit. It was not long before I wished that I had one just a bit bigger. I now have the 510 model and I do use all three. depending on how big the item is that I need to adhere. If I am adhering a ton of little pieces I do like the earlier poster mentioned...I use tweezers and my largest machine and line up my pieces and roll through just enough till I can't see and line up another row of tiny pieces and keep on till done. This really maximizes the adhesive. I am SO GLAD I have all of them!
Valerie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2013, 08:17 AM   #21  
Embossing Fanatic

Default how do you avoid xyron "boogers"

Sorry to be gross but thats what I call those little bits of adhesive that clumps up around items. i love my xyron except when i get adhesive that sticks on & around the edges of die cuts & makes a mess when I try to adhere the item to a card or page. Hopefully y'all know what i'm referring to & even more hopefully, someone has some trick I havent' tried or thought of to avoid it.

I actually stopped using my xyron about 2 years ago because of this. Amy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2013, 08:20 AM   #22  
Cardstock Collector

I have the Xyron 900 (9") and the older 5". I use them mainly for making altered comp. books. They're great for that! I run my large papers through the large one and the embellishments through the smaller one. They're great for putting adhesive on paper for covering chipboard and cutting with dies, too.

I don't use the Xyrons for card-making, though, because the adhesive that bleeds from the edges is a hassle to clean off. I don't mind cleaning this up with the journals, though, because the smooth finish without stink or mess is so worth it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2013, 08:39 AM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by missy3840View Post
Sorry to be gross but thats what I call those little bits of adhesive that clumps up around items. i love my xyron except when i get adhesive that sticks on & around the edges of die cuts & makes a mess when I try to adhere the item to a card or page. Hopefully y'all know what i'm referring to & even more hopefully, someone has some trick I havent' tried or thought of to avoid it.

I actually stopped using my xyron about 2 years ago because of this. Amy
Amy - 2 things you can do that will help a lot with this:

1) Before you remove the top piece of plastic, go around the edges of your die cut with an embossing stylus and really press the plastic down to the waxy backing. The plastic is there to pull the excess adhesive away; this trick gets the plastic into contact with the adhesive around the edges.

2) If you still have the boogers (and that's what I've always called 'em, too!) after trying #1, then after you adhere your die cut, go around the edges with an adhesive eraser. I know Xyron makes one; I have one from EK Success and I've actually had some luck with just a white vinyl eraser in a pinch. You just want to give the adhesive something to stick to so it pulls away.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2013, 09:08 AM   #24  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

I could not live without my Xyron. I have 3 different sizes, that way I don't waste product by using the size that best fits my image. I love the repositional adhesive too, because that way I can move things around without tearing the paper until I get it placed where I want it. I'm with Angella (angelladcrockett) it is the best tool ever for adhereing vellum!!!!!!!!!

Hi Angella
Mary ~~ QFTD #152, FS#514CC Guest Design Team 2012, 2013, 2017 & 2022 2014 CAS Spring Design Team Member SC Guest Design Team 2015 & 2022 SU Consultant "Life's greatest adventure is finding your place in the Circle of Life" - Lion King
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2013, 09:15 AM   #25  
Matboard Maniac

I totally agree with Cheryl about the "Boogers" (I call them that too) I am pro active with my metal fine tip stylus first by going around the whole die cut piece. Then, if that is not good enough then I use the adhesive eraser.
Valerie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2013, 09:16 AM   #26  
Matboard Maniac

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my Xyron - started with the large one first (so many years ago), and also bought the 510 and have several X's. I use them all the time. Great info on using your stylus (or even a brayer) to go over it before peeling back to make sure the adhesive sets better on the edges. You can also sprinkle baby powder on your die cuts to help roll off the bits of adhesive that stick to the edges. It can be a bit tedious when running very intricate cuts through it, but it beats having to use liquid glue on large batches of cuts and such. I use all the functions - magnetic, laminate and adhesive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2013, 09:18 AM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Years ago I was trying to punch out snowflakes from the holographic tissue paper. It was too fine and they kept getting stuck. I finally had a brainstorm, and ran a piece of bond paper (or 24 weight works well too), through the Xryon. Then I very neatly laid the tissue paper on top - perfect - made punching a breeze and it had more weight to it so I was also able to use pop dots because it was heavy enough.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2013, 12:30 PM   #28  
Kookie Creator

I use my 550 for making my homemade foam dots. I use 2mm foam sheets cut to fit the 550 width and run it through, flip it over, and run through again. Then I use a SU mini punch from a trio set to punch out out my foam dots. I can make lots of them for my investment. Of course, it really helps to use a 40% coupon for the adhesive cartridges.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2013, 03:04 PM   #29  
Glitter Queen

Love my Xron bought the X at a yardsale when i first started years ago for 50 cents and still have it!!! LOL and use it!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2013, 03:22 PM   #30  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by LindaF409View Post
I use my 550 for making my homemade foam dots. I use 2mm foam sheets cut to fit the 550 width and run it through, flip it over, and run through again. Then I use a SU mini punch from a trio set to punch out out my foam dots. I can make lots of them for my investment. Of course, it really helps to use a 40% coupon for the adhesive cartridges.
Wow, Linda! That's an interesting idea! I enjoy both my X and the next size up, but have never thought of slipping foam sheets through. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2013, 03:48 PM   #31  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by LindaF409View Post
I do this too. It's great when you don't want the height of some of the other foam dots. Then you can layer more on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2013, 05:26 PM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 290 Likes on 114 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbetView Post
Sue - if you follow the link and then click on the link on that page for the permanent microdots (whew!) it says that the sheets are about 3 5/8" x 5 1/2".

These do look cool. I think somewhere in my endless adhesive collection, I have something like this - not the same brand, but sheets of paper with adhesive dots. I should find that and see if it's still good.
Thanks for the answer! I tried clicking on the link (I thought), but didn't see where it said. Maybe I was having a "moment", though... Anyway - good to know, and thanks again!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2013, 06:01 PM   #33  
Cardstock Collector

I love my Xyron machine! I use it all the time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2013, 06:05 PM   #34  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

I love my Xyron. I used to have the 900 (I think it is called), but found that storage was a huge problem. I gave that away and got the 550 which I use all the time. There are times that I would love to have the larger size, but not enough to make me regret I have the smaller size instead. I also use the laminating roll and there is a magnetic one I haven't tried yet---a use for a 50% coupon someday!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2013, 06:20 PM   #35  
CSC
Compulsive Stamper

I have the 510 and large Xyron machines and use them both. Have had them for many years and consider them one of my most important tools for crafting. They are especially helpful when doing mass projects/cards at Christmas. I always use those wonderful 50% off coupons for my refills and that helps keep the cost down.

Carol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2013, 08:01 AM   #36  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Slightly off-topic ...

Has anyone used the Mega Runner? I like the sticking power of Xyron adhesives but I also like tape runners. Did not like the feel of the ATG or the pink one (by Scotch?) so am curious about Xyron's Mega Runner.

BTW, I own an X, a 250 and a 500 and love them all. The 250 is probably used least but mostly because it is not "in plain sight".

I've found good prices at Wal-Mart but it isn't always on the shelf. It usually works out to within 50-cents of the cost after coupon. Most likely it can be ordered online which is great if you want multiples.

Happy Crafting!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2013, 01:47 PM   #37  
Cardstock Collector

I found that the older the tape got, the more boogers I had with my Xyron. It is fairly dry here and I think it dried out. Got a new cartridge and no more problems with boogers. Also, if you run a piece of paper thru first and them die cut, you can then punch small shapes out of the piece left by the die cut.
Reply With Quote Likes