Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-06-2013, 03:04 PM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool What are Manufacturers and Magazines looking for?

I hope my post doesn't get deleted and I hope that some of the paper-crating celebrities will weigh in as well.

For years I was a scrapbooker but I couldn't get published because my pages were not two page spreads with lots of photos. Well, that's not my style. Sorry. So, I've moved on to card-making in hopes of landing a DT position with one of my beloved Member Companies. One stamp company in particular (who shall remain nameless) was known for their Divas and cards that totally rocked with lots of layers and embellies. Well, I knew that was my style as I mainly work with sentiments and die cuts and embellishments. I've tried to comment on every single blog hop they have, play in as many challenges that they offer as I would give anything to be on this team. Well, guess what... Here recently some members stepped down and they were replaced by people I've never seen play in a challenge or comment on a blog hop.

I've watched this happen with two companies that I have spent a lot of money with. So, is it more about who you know and if you are in the clique? If it is, no hard feelings. I just need to quit spending my hard earned money with you. I make very detailed cards with lots of layers and those are the types of cards that inspire me.

Recently I opened up my latest issue of CardMaker which I had loved until recently. There was not one single card in there that challenged me. Seems like they have gone to the quick and easy cards as well.

Someone please tell me what is going on.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2013, 04:51 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

TBH I don't know anything specifically because it isn't something I have aspired to, however, the whole cardmaking industry is sizing down. I was shopping the other day and looked at the magazine aisle and there was only one cardmaking magazine in the shop. Went to Michael's last week and cardmaking stamping was down to 2 aisles total, where it used to overflow 4-6 aisles.

I'm one of the people that is direct. I think we all have a right to know what the rules are and if there is anything tangible as to why we didn't get picked.

Anecdotally, I will say that I spent some time with our local speech & debate team early in the school year and was working with 2 broadcast competitors. I categorically told the one that he would have to work harder because the 1st just had one of those smooth voices that would be remembered and garner high marks from judges all things being equal. Both made it to state competition and I think honesty helped the 2nd competitor understand that sometimes there is nothing you can do about preconceptions.

Otherwise, maybe you are too visible to the company they've already got you so what do you bring to them? Do you have a large following on your blog that their company isn't reaching? or do you do something similar to those that stayed on? Are you harnessing Twitter, Pinterest, Facebook as well?

TBH - I have scratched my head about some design team members I have seen generally, even going back through their blogs and wondering what the team pickers saw that I wasn't seeing. So my last word of advice is don't take it personally.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2013, 05:39 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
TBH I don't know anything specifically because it isn't something I have aspired to, however, the whole cardmaking industry is sizing down. I was shopping the other day and looked at the magazine aisle and there was only one cardmaking magazine in the shop. Went to Michael's last week and cardmaking stamping was down to 2 aisles total, where it used to overflow 4-6 aisles.

I'm one of the people that is direct. I think we all have a right to know what the rules are and if there is anything tangible as to why we didn't get picked.

Anecdotally, I will say that I spent some time with our local speech & debate team early in the school year xand was working with 2 broadcast competitors. I categorically told the one that he would have to work harder because the 1st just had one of those smooth voices that would be remembered and garner high marks from judges all things being equal. Both made it to state competition and I think honesty helped the 2nd competitor understand that sometimes there is nothing you can do about preconceptions.

Otherwise, maybe you are too visible to the company they've already got you so what do you bring to them? Do you have a large following on your blog that their company isn't reaching? or do you do something similar to those that stayed on? Are you harnessing Twitter, Pinterest, Facebook as well?

TBH - I have scratched my head about some design team members I have seen generally, even going back through their blogs and wondering what the team pickers saw that I wasn't seeing. So my last word of advice is don't take it personally.
Rez
I think you are right! I'm too visible to the company so I shouldn't take it personally. They have their picks and pets and apparently, I'm not one of them regardless of how much I love this company and how much I spend with them. I'm very disappointed. It's so hard because I truly love this company and have spent a lot off money with them. Perhaps it time to move on! I have to feel appreciated.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2013, 05:58 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampticianView Post
Rez
I think you are right! I'm too visible to the company so I shouldn't take it personally. They have their picks and pets and apparently, I'm not one of them regardless of how much I love this company and how much I spend with them. I'm very disappointed. It's so hard because I truly love this company and have spent a lot off money with them. Perhaps it time to move on! I have to feel appreciated.
How often do they search their design team? Is it worth the effort to change things up? and see where that puts you next go around? If you really love the company then you have to weigh the pros and cons. Also if the entries were public have a look and see what is common/uncommon about them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2013, 11:34 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

I'm not a paper-crafting celebrity but I've been on a DT and I've been published in various places so I'll offer a few thoughts in case they're useful.

I don't think there's a single answer to your question, there are as many attitudes as there are companies and editorial teams, I suspect. That said...

Quote:

So, is it more about who you know and if you are in the clique?
Not in my experience, no. I spent a couple of years on a DT and when I joined the team I owned maybe five or six of the company's stamps. When they put out a DT call they were looking for people with detailed colouring skills focusing on a couple of their lines. I didn't own any of those stamps and had never coloured one. Somebody stamped some of those images for me, I coloured a couple and submitted one to the call. I had uploaded a few cards to their gallery and my blog and chatted a bit on their forum - that was the extent of my contact with them so I was certainly not a clique member.

Teams can be looking for all sorts of things and it's always a bit difficult to predict. They may be looking for somebody who extends the scope of the team by doing something a bit different with the stamps (adding a CAS stamper or somebody who make jewellery to a team where most people make layered and embellished cards, for example) so going by what's there already may not be ideal. To be honest, I suspect they don't always know what they're looking for, they just recognise it when they see it!

They will almost certainly want you to be active online so having a blog, a gallery here at SCS or on other popular forums, being able to contribute to the company's blog etc will probably stand you in good stead. The ability to take good, clear photographs of your projects will also be valuable in that regard.

As for magazine publication, some of the big hitters say they score maybe one in ten cards so they're making a lot of submissions! Editorial teams may accept one thing and reject another for all sorts of reasons - they're trying to create an ensemble that will look good photographed together and card B fits slightly better than card A with the first project they picked, card C has a super-trendy colour scheme whereas card D is very similar but the colour scheme is a bit old hat etc etc. Not being picked up for submission doesn't automatically mean your project wasn't "good enough", it means it didn't fit what was needed at the time. Papercrafts magazine periodically feature advice for successful submission on their blog - might be worth a look if you're looking to pick up tips.

Many mags have a blind submission process so it's not a case of who you know, it's a case of does your project fit what they happen to be looking for at that time. Most publish very brief instructions but they want their readers to be able to reproduce the project so if your card is very complex it probably stands less chance (your supply list and instructions will almost certainly be long).

I'd say keep doing what you enjoy and if publication and/or a DT position come along on the back of that then all well and good. If not, then you have a hobby that brings you joy.

Hope there's something there that helps!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2013, 03:58 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not on a DT or have any inside infomation but I did look at your blog and it is full of beautifully made projects worthy of DT work, and I wouldn't say that just to be nice. I'm sorry I don't have answers for you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2013, 04:59 AM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I was on a DT for about 2 years but stopped after I pretty much burnt out and felt it was limiting my creativity - plus I felt my blog was starting to become just an "advertising blog" for the company.

I looked at your blog Jennipher and I think your cards are gorgeous: very professional and well photographed - and I love how you give plenty of detail about how you made your cards and your posts are happy and positive. I do remember reading on the Paper Crafts Magazine website tips about getting published and I am sure that some of their tips would apply to being on a DT. I will try and find the link and post it tomorrow (it's bedtime where I live in Australia). From what I can remember, it was things like using current designer papers, inks, stamps and embellishments - nothing retired - and your cards being "different" - a stand-out in comparison to others made with similar stamps - a card/papercraft project that is very original and inspirational - deliciously different which catches the eye. Plus using mixed media seems to be very "in". There is at least 1 stamp company that I no longer buy from because they have gone very "Arty" and their stamps are more suited to mixed media and Steampunk - which just isn't my cup of tea. Also, submitting cards/projects for themes that magazines are asking for - often well in advance - eg: doing Christmas cards NOW!

Not sure if any of this helps Jennipher :confused: If you truly enjoy making cards for this company, despite not being on their DT or being published, keep making them - otherwise, it will become a chore. Your cards really are gorgeous and I would publish them in a heartbeat
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2013, 01:26 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Well ladies, thanks for sharing your thoughts, input, and advice. I know that my style is very elegant and lots of layers sometimes and they wouldn't fit into the made in under 15 minutes category. But, I have no desire to change my style. I enjoy putting a lot of time and effort into them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2013, 01:32 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

How often do they search their design team? Is it worth the effort to change things up? and see where that puts you next go around? If you really love the company then you have to weigh the pros and cons. Also if the entries were public have a look and see what is common/uncommon about them.
The two companies that I love do not hold open DT calls. They just invite people to join them and they do state this on the website. So it's not a secret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2013, 11:08 PM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Well ladies, thanks for sharing your thoughts, input, and advice. I know that my style is very elegant and lots of layers sometimes and they wouldn't fit into the made in under 15 minutes category. But, I have no desire to change my style. I enjoy putting a lot of time and effort into them.
I wish my cards could be fitted into "made in under 15 mins category" LOL! My clean and simple cards take me alot longer to make than my layered cards because I find that style more difficult, yet I am wanting to broaden my skills because I don't always have time to make a layered card. My last upload took me 4 days of stopping and starting and fiddling around trying to get it to look right - yet the end result is so simple! :eek:

As I promised on my previous post, here are some links of info re submitting to a magazine - in this case, it is Paper Crafts Magazine - which is not meant to show any bias on my part: I have no connection to them whatsoever. But the information I believe is still relevant whether trying out for a DT or a magazine:

Myth Busting � Revealing the Secrets of Submissions
Submission Tips

This next link is also a bit of an eye opener as far as what it takes from the magazine's point of view for getting your work published:

Kickoff to Holiday Cards and More Week - A Day in the Life

I have never submitted my cards to a magazine and therefore haven't been published but it is something I would like to try at some stage - at least once just so I can cross it off my Bucket List! Also consider submitting to magazines in the UK or Australia instead of the USA as often these mags have cards made by cardmakers outside Australia that I know from reading their blogs. Nowadays with the favourable exchange rate US $ + UK pound to the Australian $ and the ability to buy card making stamps etc. at affordable prices easily on-line, many of our Aussie magazines feature cards that are made using these overseas products. Perhaps if you had your foot in the door via this way and you let the stamp company know that you had some work published, it would work in your favour Just a thought.......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2013, 07:19 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

The two companies that I love do not hold open DT calls. They just invite people to join them and they do state this on the website. So it's not a secret.
So they are always looking. Still worth assessing what may have made the new DT members stand out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2013, 09:59 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

I agree with everything that Joanne (Angelnorth) said. *waving HI to Joanne!!* We were on the same DT for a little bit, but the way I joined that same DT was a bit different. I was aggressively using that company's stamps and joined every challenge and participated in their forums a lot. I was asked to join maybe a year after Joanne, and I think it was because I was finally "noticed." I love that company's stamps and I've kept almost all of them because I can't bear to part with them.

Every company is different. Some just want BIG name designers to promote their product, and others hold DT calls to see what kind of style each person has. Don't go buying products if you don't absolutely love it in hopes of joining their DT. How many times have you bought something and then only used it once, if at all? Buy things because you want to use them and you really like them, and then have fun playing with those products.

Joanne is right that many companies are now trying to appeal to a broad range of customers. Look at Spellbinders. They have a team for cards, a team for scrapbooking, a team for mixed media, and possibly more that I'm not aware of. Within the Card team, for example, there may be one who does fancy layered cards with lots of embellishments, and then there is one who keeps things clean and simple and trendy. It's all about marketing. :-)

Do what you love, and the right company will come along when you least expect it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2013, 11:56 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoBear2View Post
I wish my cards could be fitted into "made in under 15 mins category" LOL! My clean and simple cards take me alot longer to make than my layered cards because I find that style more difficult, yet I am wanting to broaden my skills because I don't always have time to make a layered card. My last upload took me 4 days of stopping and starting and fiddling around trying to get it to look right - yet the end result is so simple! :eek:

As I promised on my previous post, here are some links of info re submitting to a magazine - in this case, it is Paper Crafts Magazine - which is not meant to show any bias on my part: I have no connection to them whatsoever. But the information I believe is still relevant whether trying out for a DT or a magazine:

Myth Busting � Revealing the Secrets of Submissions
Submission Tips

This next link is also a bit of an eye opener as far as what it takes from the magazine's point of view for getting your work published:

Kickoff to Holiday Cards and More Week - A Day in the Life

I have never submitted my cards to a magazine and therefore haven't been published but it is something I would like to try at some stage - at least once just so I can cross it off my Bucket List! Also consider submitting to magazines in the UK or Australia instead of the USA as often these mags have cards made by cardmakers outside Australia that I know from reading their blogs. Nowadays with the favourable exchange rate US $ + UK pound to the Australian $ and the ability to buy card making stamps etc. at affordable prices easily on-line, many of our Aussie magazines feature cards that are made using these overseas products. Perhaps if you had your foot in the door via this way and you let the stamp company know that you had some work published, it would work in your favour Just a thought.......
Thank for those tips and links Joanne. You have been a real sweetheart. I also just got a chance to look at your blog and you've got some really great stuff. You are very skilled at coloring, something that I am not.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2013, 11:59 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

So they are always looking. Still worth assessing what may have made the new DT members stand out.
This is true except I don't know how to go about asking without flat out asking something like this...hey, I've created 90 plus cards with your stamps and this gal hadn't created any so what gives?

I'm certain that probably won't work and I don't want to hurt any feelings or burn any bridges.

However, you seem really good with words and debates...any tips?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2013, 12:07 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by hbrownView Post
I agree with everything that Joanne (Angelnorth) said. *waving HI to Joanne!!* We were on the same DT for a little bit, but the way I joined that same DT was a bit different. I was aggressively using that company's stamps and joined every challenge and participated in their forums a lot. I was asked to join maybe a year after Joanne, and I think it was because I was finally "noticed." I love that company's stamps and I've kept almost all of them because I can't bear to part with them.

Every company is different. Some just want BIG name designers to promote their product, and others hold DT calls to see what kind of style each person has. Don't go buying products if you don't absolutely love it in hopes of joining their DT. How many times have you bought something and then only used it once, if at all? Buy things because you want to use them and you really like them, and then have fun playing with those products.

Joanne is right that many companies are now trying to appeal to a broad range of customers. Look at Spellbinders. They have a team for cards, a team for scrapbooking, a team for mixed media, and possibly more that I'm not aware of. Within the Card team, for example, there may be one who does fancy layered cards with lots of embellishments, and then there is one who keeps things clean and simple and trendy. It's all about marketing. :-)

Do what you love, and the right company will come along when you least expect it.
Hey there Holly! I'm waving hi to you as I know you from the one online store design team I am own. Isn't Beverly just the best to work for?
And you are right. Someone told me today not to bother letting my pocketbook do the talking for a company since it clearly did not work. However, I do actually love these two stamp companies that remain nameless, but this person opened my eyes to some other companies that are not as "celebrity based".

I guess I just have to always be on the lookout for opportunities.

One of the two companies did offer an open Guest DT call for their anniversary celebration. I created a project to help them celebrate their anniversary and participated in the anniversary hop and was thanked by all the DT Members but only 3 people were chosen to guest design and well, I wasn't one of them. And while I do really love this company, they aren't cheap and they rarely offer sales.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2013, 03:12 PM   #16  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

In one of the classes I took at OnlineCardclasses.com one of the presenters said that cards you send as submissions need to be perfect. You can have any design or style that you want, but be perfect in the sense of the quality of what you're making: clean paper cuts, proper layer alignments, no glue showing, good quality paper, solid construction so the components of the card don't come apart or fall off, aligned paper scoring, no cracked cardstock on folds, etc.

I took her advise to heart for the card making that I do for SCS card swaps and I noticed a big difference in the quality of my finished card just by paying special attention to the construction details.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2013, 04:40 AM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Hey there Holly! I'm waving hi to you as I know you from the one online store design team I am own. Isn't Beverly just the best to work for?
And you are right. Someone told me today not to bother letting my pocketbook do the talking for a company since it clearly did not work. However, I do actually love these two stamp companies that remain nameless, but this person opened my eyes to some other companies that are not as "celebrity based".

I guess I just have to always be on the lookout for opportunities.

One of the two companies did offer an open Guest DT call for their anniversary celebration. I created a project to help them celebrate their anniversary and participated in the anniversary hop and was thanked by all the DT Members but only 3 people were chosen to guest design and well, I wasn't one of them. And while I do really love this company, they aren't cheap and they rarely offer sales.
Howdy!! :-) Yes, I love working for Beverly!

Don't worry about your pocketbook. If you really love the products you are buying, then enjoy them! If you buy ONLY so you have a shot at a design team spot, then what's the point? Remember the motto - buy what you love and know you will use. Being on a DT is just the sprinkles on a yummy cupcake. It's not the end all/be all of existence. :-)

Have fun playing in the challenges and creating things for DT calls, but don't pin all your hopes and happiness on winning or joining a DT. Enjoy your life!!

I've only come around to this mind-blowing revelation after being on many design teams over the years. At one point, I was on 8, yes EIGHT, design teams at the same time. Talk about stressed out and frazzled!!!! I was able to pare them down and now I'm not pulling my hair out worrying about deadlines and such. :-)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2013, 06:10 AM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

I am so glad you posted this. I'm not interested n being on any design team, so I'm not speaking about personal experience. I am responding as an observer. I haven't looked on your blog to see which products you use so I'm giving you unbiased feedback now.

I noticed the very thing you're talking about with PTI. I see these women participating on every challenge, buying tons of their stamps, with a zillion posts on their forum. It's obvious they want on the DT so badly. Then there will be a reorganization and some DT will step down and some new ones that have never participated on any challenges or forums, basically people I've never heard of before, will appear out of nowhere as new design team members! I've seen this time and time again and feel so sorry for the ones jumping through the hoops to get noticed, which leaves me just as baffled as you! I don't understand the reasoning behind this. It seems as though these companies would reward their most faithful followers with the coveted positions on their DTs, but for some reason it just doesn't work that way.

So my advice to those in this boat is to create for the love of it, not for the "chance" at being selected for a DT. If you don't expect anything, you won't be disappointed for being looked over. If you are picked, it will be a pleasant surprise. If not, then your reward is the satisfaction of knowing you enjoy what you create and the process thereof. Most importantly, don't take it personally, as others have said. It's hard to guess what the judges are looking for, but I seriously doubt that being an active participator is one of their criteria.

Also, have you really looked at why you want to be on a design team? Is it for validation? If so, there are other ways of getting validation than spending a ton of money at the chance of being recognized. Blog hops and gallery posts and challenges are great ways to get positive feedback.

Is it worth a couple of free stamp sets a month for all the work you have to do to be on an DT? Then there are strict rules like was mentioned where you can only use their products, etc. I love so many different manufacturers that I would hate not being able to use other company's stuff. I don't want someone dictating to me what I can and cannot use in my creations. It's not worth it to me.

Are you trying to make a career out of it? I'm pretty sure being on a design team will not pay enough to make a decent contribution in a family's budget. IOW, you will not get rich being on a design team. The ones who make decent money at it are those with their own company or line, like Nichole or Heidi or Tim. If you can find a niche in the papercrafting business that has not already been filled and market yourself and get the funding to put out product, then there is money to be had. But manufacturers go out of business all the time so there's no guarantee there either.

I know I'm rambling, but hopefully I've said a couple things that make sense.

In closing, create for the love of it. If a company doesn't appreciate your talents, then they don't deserve to have you anyway. Gosh, it sounds like I'm giving dating advice! Lol! But the same principles apply, I guess.

Now I'm off to check out your blog!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2013, 06:56 AM   #19  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I've noticed the same thing with some of the manufacturers out there- and while it can be frustrating if you're hoping to one day join the DT, I'll agree with what others have said here- I think it comes down to these new members having something that the manufacturer is looking for. Whether that's a large audience/following, a new style to cater to, etc. There is a reason that person was chosen. And it may not always seem obvious, especially if the new DT member hasn't worked with that company's products before. Each company is different in what they're looking for.

I'll also agree with what's been said- your work is gorgeous and if you truly love their stamps/products, then I wouldn't take it to heart so much. I know that's easier said than done. But think of it this way- if you don't end up with the spot on their DT, you at least are enjoying the cards you make and putting smiles on the faces of so many who have been lucky enough to receive them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2013, 07:01 AM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoistracyView Post
I've noticed the same thing with some of the manufacturers out there- and while it can be frustrating if you're hoping to one day join the DT, I'll agree with what others have said here- I think it comes down to these new members having something that the manufacturer is looking for. Whether that's a large audience/following, a new style to cater to, etc. There is a reason that person was chosen. And it may not always seem obvious, especially if the new DT member hasn't worked with that company's products before. Each company is different in what they're looking for.

I'll also agree with what's been said- your work is gorgeous and if you truly love their stamps/products, then I wouldn't take it to heart so much. I know that's easier said than done. But think of it this way- if you don't end up with the spot on their DT, you at least are enjoying the cards you make and putting smiles on the faces of so many who have been lucky enough to receive them!
Tracy,
I remember meeting you on PTI's forum. I really thought you would make that design team someday. Your designs are stellar. But, as discussed here, I was left scratching my head, wondering why, or why not I guess you can say.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2013, 07:26 AM   #21  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Well from experience I will say that rejection is hard to not take personal! That being said...I have learned that if you get on a DT just to say you are on that DT....you probably won't be very happy. If you love a certain company's style than using those products will make you happy and that will show in your creations. Loving what you do and creating things you love is what it is all about. I agree with - being on a certain DT is just sprinkles on a very tasty cupcake!! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2013, 11:29 AM   #22  
Compulsive Stamper

have you thought about simply writing a letter to the company saying something like. I am a huge fan of your stamps and company and would love to make it on the design team. Is there any advice you can give me on what you are looking for in a design team member. Is there anything I could improve upon that would make a difference. give them your blog address See what they say.. Couldn't hurt.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2013, 01:30 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hey everyone! I just want to let you all know that in one way or another you have all made me feel a lot better about this whole DT debacle. Some of you have went out of your way to send me encouraging pm's sharing your personal experiences including the let downs and successes.

I didn't start this thread to bring about negativity in any way or to point fingers at any particular company. So I'm glad no one has taken it that way. Your responses have been both enlightening and informative.

I am on one DT for an online store and the owner has been so awesome to me. I realize this is not always the case and I do feel blessed to have at least this one opportunity.

I think someone mentioned above what I hoped to accomplish by being on a DT. Well, for one thing I know you can't make a living doing it. Secondly, I work part time and I have a lot of free time on my hands. I use that time to make cards. I was thinking it would be a nice plus to promote the products I use and love and maybe get some freebies or a nice discount. And for me, it would feel like I reached a goal.

However, it's not the end of the world if it doesn't happen.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2013, 04:22 PM   #24  
Kookie Creator

I thank everyone for this wonderful discussion. Very enlightening!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2013, 05:56 AM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

My favorite company only has an in-house design team. When asked why, the owner feels she would need to pay people for the work they do and would not have as much control over content and quality. Many of the folks who post in their forum are incredibly talented and are wonderful spokespeople for the company on their own blogs. The company doesn't seem to recognize anyone's projects beyond a "like" on their FB page.

None of this stops me from buying their products - it just doesn't make sense to me in thisage of social media they are not taking advantage of all their devoted fans.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2013, 06:02 AM   #26  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Hi Jennipher!
Never take it personally if you are not picked for a design team. I am on a couple (Pink Persimmon, About Art Accents, Lost Coast Desings) and have been on others in the past. Different companies need different things from their designers. For instance Lost Coast needs cards they can sell in their stamp show booths, I send them a card, they send me a new stamp, easy peasy. Pink Persimmon does most of their sales online so posting great tutorials on youtube and my blog where people can see them and click to by is important. Other companies have their product on store shelves so they need designers who can get their cards published in magazines. Mostly though designers are picked by how many potentional customers they can reach. They need info like: How many blog subscribers do you have, how many youtube subscribers, how many facebook fans and pinterest followers? They will look at each designer applying as they would research magazines they wanted to buy ads in. They want to spend their money (ok give free product to) the people who will get their product seen. It is nothing personal. Now consider if you are such a big fan that you always post projects with the companies products with links for free and you are buying it anyway it does not make since for them to add you to the design team since you are doing the work for free. Why buy the cow?

The first time I applied for a DT (for a stamp companie that has since shut down) I stalked the galleries, commented on everyone's uploads, made tons of cards and layouts for their gallery and I was crushed when I did not get picked and others that never posted did. What did they have that I did not? Exposure! They were already being published and had busy blogs. Nothing personal but then I saw what I had to do.

Designers provide advertising. You need to be a good promoter as well as artist. When you apply for a DT tell them what YOU will do to get their work seen. Go get um!

I hope this helped;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2013, 10:26 AM   #27  
Embossing Fanatic

Does one get paid for being on the design team or do you just get published? I'm always in awe of the designers because of how many cards you make and your wonderful blogs. I don't know how you find the time to do it all I'm jealous
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2013, 10:27 AM   #28  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Most design teams just send you free stamps or whatever product they make. It's very rare to actually receive money from a design team.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2013, 11:02 AM   #29  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by chocolate ladyView Post
Does one get paid for being on the design team or do you just get published? I'm always in awe of the designers because of how many cards you make and your wonderful blogs. I don't know how you find the time to do it all I'm jealous
As Holly says, the compensation for most design teams is free product. If it's a manufacturer's team, you typically get stamps before they're on general release so you're the first to play with them and the projects you make will hopefully give some idea of how those stamps could be used and inspire others. Some teams will also offer you a discount for their store so if you want stuff that's not part of your DT "allowance" you can get it for less.

Some teams will give you a bonus (either more product or cash in some cases) if you get a project published in a magazine (Paper Crafts, the Stampington publications, Card Maker etc) using their stamps. Of course this is also true of many companies even if you are not on their DT - if you get something published, have a look to see if the company offers an incentive (usually stamps to a certain value or store credit). It's always worth contacting a company even if you can't see any details of an incentive scheme on their web site. If you feel uncomfortable asking outright if they offer publication incentives (although the worst they can say is "no", right?) you can always approach it differently - let them know you got published and offer to e-mail them a scan of the page for their records. You'll often get something like "Oooh, that's great. Can we send you something as a thank you for submitting with our stamps?"

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2013, 04:46 PM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Now consider if you are such a big fan that you always post projects with the companies products with links for free and you are buying it anyway it does not make since for them to add you to the design team since you are doing the work for free. Why buy the cow?
This is exactly the mistake I made. Free advertising for the company I want to design for. If you were to go to my blog right now, you would find at least 90+ projects posted on my blog and categorized under this companies name. Only reason there isn't more is because I am frustrated and tired of being overlooked. I will continue to play in their challenges and although they have just released some awesome new stamps, I am done letting my pocket book do the talking.

For those of you that have asked if I contacted the owner, the answer is yes. I contacted her before I made those 90+ cards and I expressed my interest in being on the team and promised not to constantly bother her but if she would keep her eye on my work to see if I might be a fit.

Anyways, it's all said and done now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2013, 06:10 PM   #31  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindsaymayView Post
...... Now consider if you are such a big fan that you always post projects with the companies products with links for free and you are buying it anyway it does not make since for them to add you to the design team since you are doing the work for free. Why buy the cow?........
This is what I was thinking too Jennipher but I just didn't quite know how to put it into words.
Reply With Quote Likes