Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-03-2013, 01:42 PM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anyone found a better adhesive magnetic sheet than Oriental Trader's?

I store some of my dies on 8.5 x 11 chipboard covered with adhesive magnetic sheets I bought from Oriental Traders. I slide the panel into a page protector and stand it in a bin. (I really like bins for everything, no binders) The system works really well for me, but I can't say I find the sheets as magnetic as I would like. Anyone find anything better? I ask because it's time to make up some more, and so I have to either reorder from OT or try some other source.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2013, 02:42 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,120 Likes on 503 Posts

My system is pretty similar - I bought magnetic vent covers at Lowes - they're 8"x15" and come 3 to a package.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2013, 03:18 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I do what Dina does, but I'm a binder girl (5 1/2" x 8 1/2")...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2013, 03:30 PM   #4  
Glitter Guru

I looked at those vent covers at Home Depot. They have to be cut down and glued onto the chipboard, don't they? What kind of adhesive do you use?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2013, 04:04 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always used that same system. I have to say that this last batch of magnetic sheets from Oriental Traders kinda sucks. Not very magnetic and extremely slick. Pretty disappointing! I will have to check out the vent covers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2013, 04:38 PM   #6  
Glitter Guru

I originally ordered them because of so many recommendations here... I was expecting them to be better.

But are the vent covers that much more magnetic? And worth all the bother of cutting them up and glueing them onto chipboard? If you go on the Home Depot website, everything complains that they fall off the vents.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2013, 04:48 PM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

I store my dies on magnetic vent covers trimmed to fit into empty cd cases (not glued down). The dies stick great! (Previously I was using magnetic tape that wanted to curl away from the cd case - huge pain in the neck.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2013, 04:58 PM   #8  
Glitter Guru

On smaller areas, the dies are going to stick better because there is little flex. I have my Nestie sets on the mini panels from Crafters Companion, slid into page protectors that I cut down to fit. They stand up in a plastic shoebox and it works out great. But when you are dealing with something 8 X 10 or 8.5 X 11, the panel is going to flex more and the dies will slide more easily.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2013, 10:22 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,120 Likes on 503 Posts

I cut mine in half and stick them to heavy file dividers with doubled sided tape (2" wide). Actually... I have some dividers with the sheets, and some dividers with strips of magnetic tape. I use the strips for the nesting sets.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2013, 03:57 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

I cut the vent covers into thirds (5") and put them in 5 1/2" x 8 1/2" page protectors and into binders. I don't glue them to anything, and so far they've all worked out just fine...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2013, 05:47 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by debbiemom23csView Post
I have always used that same system. I have to say that this last batch of magnetic sheets from Oriental Traders kinda sucks. Not very magnetic and extremely slick. Pretty disappointing! I will have to check out the vent covers.
I really like the sheets that I ordered from OTC but it has been a few years. They hold really well. Thanks for the heads up that the current ones are not very good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2013, 07:28 AM   #12  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I cut the vent covers into thirds (5") and put them in 5 1/2" x 8 1/2" page protectors and into binders. I don't glue them to anything, and so far they've all worked out just fine...
But binders, Sue! I am so not a binders person! ;-)! My entire storage system (stamps and dies) is all about bins. I love my setup so anything I use is going to have to be able to stand up in a bin.

I know there are many more binder people than bin people out there!

I think I am going to reorder from OT and see what I get. I hope the ones I ordered last year were the same ones debbiemom got, and they haven't gotten even worse. Like I said, mine are working, but not as well as I wish. Mounting them on medium weight chipboard does cut down on the flex and thus the dies shifting. And the page protector catches the inevitable escapees.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2013, 07:36 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

I use a combination of magnetic sheets from the craft area at Joanns (they're self adhesive) and self adhesive magnetic tape (Xyron brand that I've had for years) on chipboard sheets stored in a plastic box. If my dies are the nesting kind, the sheets seem to hold them better. If they're solid metal (like Memory Box) I found that the magnetic tape works great. I only have to put enough tape to fit the die, so I don't waste it on areas where there aren't dies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2013, 08:19 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
But binders, Sue! I am so not a binders person! ;-)! My entire storage system (stamps and dies) is all about bins. I love my setup so anything I use is going to have to be able to stand up in a bin.

I think I am going to reorder from OT and see what I get. I hope the ones I ordered last year were the same ones debbiemom got, and they haven't gotten even worse. Like I said, mine are working, but not as well as I wish. Mounting them on medium weight chipboard does cut down on the flex and thus the dies shifting. And the page protector catches the inevitable escapees.
I think a lot of people have great binder system for die storage but I also use a bin style, too. (Right now a photo storage box). I wouldn't mind a binder but my dies are too heavy for me to lift and open up a binder. I have my box on my craft table and go through them when I need them. I know I should work on organizing them with more tabs but this works for the moment. I'd like to get a nice "bin" as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2013, 08:26 AM   #15  
Glitter Guru

After starting out with plastic shoeboxes from Home Depot, and then buying two sets of pricey bins from The Container Store, I found I was still happiest with my plastic shoeboxes. Turned sideways, you can fit a page protector on it's side perfectly. And I buy the heavyweight PPs so the place where the holes are is very thick. That's the side that have sticking up, and I make my labels and stick them on between the holes. It has worked out well. I know eventually I'll have too many dies (and stamps) to keep them in the shoeboxes (I've only got so much counter space), and then I'll have to switch to one of the other, deeper set of bins I bought.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2013, 08:32 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

After starting out with plastic shoeboxes from Home Depot, and then buying two sets of pricey bins from The Container Store, I found I was still happiest with my plastic shoeboxes. Turned sideways, you can fit a page protector on it's side perfectly. And I buy the heavyweight PPs so the place where the holes are is very thick. That's the side that have sticking up, and I make my labels and stick them on between the holes. It has worked out well. I know eventually I'll have too many dies (and stamps) to keep them in the shoeboxes (I've only got so much counter space), and then I'll have to switch to one of the other, deeper set of bins I bought.
I just have not found the right "bins" for me. I've seen containers at Ikea, Container Store, and Target but haven't bought any as of now. I may find that my white photo boxes work the best for me after I spend my money for better bins. LOL.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2013, 03:08 PM   #17  
Glitter Guru

I cut the magnetic vent covers into 3' wide stripes and then use redline tape to stick that to chipboard. I can put 2 sets of dies on the chipboard and then put that into a folder. I store the folders in Wire baskets. A binder would be too heavy for me also.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2013, 03:32 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I use similar storage - my sheets are smaller, though. I had some heavyweight file guides that I cut down to 5x7 and attach magnetic sheet and then I store them in empty SU dvd cases (my stamps are stored on laminated cards in boxes, so I have the cases anyway). The file guides are like THESE - mine were some from the office that were being thrown out; the tabs were a bit beat up, but I was cutting those off anyway.

Because I am cheap, I have been using advertising magnets that come stuck on our phone books - I worked at a place that got over 30 phone books each year so we could have one in each company truck; none of they guys wanted the magnets on them, and there were 2 magnets on each book. These were about 4" square and are strong enough that the nesties don't move around on them. I also had some left over "save the date" magnets from the wedding of the daughter of a friend; these were about 4x6 and also had excellent magnet power.

To stick the magnets to the backing, I just used my ATG and put a line of adhesive around the outside rim of the magnet and then one or two lines thru the middle and I haven't had any of them come loose.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2013, 03:35 PM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

I get mine at Walmart in the craft section. They are nearby the beads and foam cut-outs, kind of like kids crafts. 2 sheets in a pack for less than 2 dollars.

They are self adhesive too. I think they are no more or less "magnetic" than more expensive ones I've tried.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2013, 03:50 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

If you're going to mount them on chipboard anyway, why not try the vent covers? They're cheap enough to experiment with and they hold the dies really well. I'm sure they would be fine in a bin

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2013, 03:55 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Couldn't you get one of those shoe shelf things to put the shoeboxes with dies on? That way you would be adding up, not out...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2013, 11:03 PM   #22  
Insane Embellisher

I got the vent covers once and I thought they weren't good at all. This isnt really an answer to the original question but this is a way of storing the thin dies. Kathryn tells you were to get the magnets she uses and the storage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svrOiIV_wWA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2013, 06:29 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThatGirlThereView Post
I got the vent covers once and I thought they weren't good at all. This isnt really an answer to the original question but this is a way of storing the thin dies. Kathryn tells you were to get the magnets she uses and the storage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svrOiIV_wWA

Thanks for posting this! I really like the bin and sleeves that she uses. I'd still probably go with the vent covers, though, because of the cost factor. I couldn't find anywhere on the vent cover package what the thickness was - in inches or mils - so I did some research and found this: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_thick_is_20_mil, which is the thickness of the magnetic sheets that she uses.

It seems to be about the same (possibly a bit thicker, but negligibly so) as the vent covers. The sheets are 4.75" x 7", and are $.99 apiece, where the vent covers are 8" x 18", and are $4.75 for a pack of three, which can be cut down to make nine sheets that would fit in the sleeves. That makes them only $.53 each, and there wouldn't be shipping, either, since you can pick the vent covers up at your local Home Depot. That being said, if the thickness factor is important enough, I could see spending the few extra dollars for them.

Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
heylookatme (02-10-2024)
Old 05-05-2013, 07:03 AM   #24  
Glitter Guru

This looks like a good system. But the shipping cost on those magnetic sheets is very high. I was going to order 10 of them, just to see what they were like, but the shipping was almost as much as the cost of the sheets!

Between the cost of the sleeves and the sheets - I could buy a lot of new dies!

And I have a system. It does need some tweaking. It's very tempting when you see another one that looks really good to jump on the bandwagon. I am going to bookmark everything so I have it, but not make any changes yet. I'll see exactly how crappy the Oriental Traders sheets are when I get them first.....

Thanks for sharing that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2013, 07:36 AM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm thinking that the reason that some of the magnet sheets seem to be "stiffer" is that they are smaller. I have some inkjet printer magnetic sheets from Staples, and at full size (8-1/2 x 11, which is the size that Rachelrose is using), they're really pretty bendy and would need to be glued to the chipboard to stand up in a storage bin.

As soon as I cut them in half (which is the size that the other system mentioned seem to be using), they seemed quite rigid and would be just fine to use in the bin with no backing.

Rachelrose - if you have an ATG, that adhesive works great for sticking magnets to chipboard backing. When I needed to pull a magnet loose from my backing, I couldn't just pull it off, I had to slide some dental floss behind and kind of cut it off. Another type of adhesive that would work (and might be less expensive, not sure about that) would be double-sided carpet tape - LIKE THIS . It's a pretty long roll, and wider than the ATG adhesive. Not archival, but for sticking your magnet to your chipboard backing, that wouldn't matter. I've used it for covering storage boxes with wallpaper and it worked really, really well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2013, 08:25 AM   #26  
Glitter Guru

Cheryl, I agree with you about size and stiffness being related. Like I was saying, an 8.5X11 piece of chipboard has more flex than one half the size.

I'm really thinking that what I want to do is take all my full size sheets and cut them in half and store them the same way I store my Nesties, which uses the same bins but I turn them so that they are skinny side front. I have a couple of sheets of long dies which will only fit on full size panels, but I could stick those behind my stamps in one of my stamp bins.

It strikes me that right now having all my non-Nestie dies ganged together on big panels is okay, because there are not that many that I can't quickly find what I need. But my collection of dies is starting to grow pretty rapidly. I don't think my current system will work well for too much longer.

Which makes me think about my old heavy duty guillotine cutter, (it actually belongs to Mr. Wonderful and he's had it for years) which is cranky and dull and not able to cut through chipboard without shredding the edges. I think a new guillotine would be a good investment. I am starting to need to cut chipboard for lots of other things. In fact, I just posted a thread asking people what they would recommend.

I didn't even think of my ATG for glueing to chipboard. Yes, I have one. Thanks for that!

Last edited by Rachelrose; 05-05-2013 at 08:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes