View Single Post
Old 05-04-2013, 09:21 AM   #4366
Anemone
CBC Lady Violet

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurlynn View Post
Now turning to drivers' training...what has everyone here done with kids of driving age? Did you pay for the training? Did the kid pay for training? Kid pay for part of the training? Ds1 is at that age and I might put him in training this summer. He'll be 16 on Halloween.
Pay for the driver's ed, but make him pay some or all of the insurance. If he has to pay for it, he is less likely to do something that will cause it to go up & make him have to pay more.
I had friends whose parents made them pay a nickel a km or something like that every time they took the family car (wrote down the odometer before they pulled out of the driveway & after they pulled back in I think), because they felt that it would prevent them from doing stupid joyriding or doing unneccesary driving and also to get them to realize that when they had their own car, that even though they own the car, driving costs money in terms of gas etc. They did not have to pay the per km thing if they were driving at parental request - like picking up a sib somewhere or running to the grocery store for mom etc.