Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-20-2013, 03:57 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New paper trimmer...

I am looking for a new paper trimmer. My current guillotine was damaged in our last move (and it cut crooked before that anyway) so I have decided to get a new paper trimmer.

I have decided that I want a rotary trimmer, with a self sharpening blade, that can take up to 12x12 paper and card.

Can any one recommend one? Or tell me what kind of experience you have had with yours?

So far I have found a fiskars, making memories and dahl trimmer that are all self sharpening and rotary.

TIA
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2013, 04:04 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

I just purchased this one a couple of months ago and after much use, I gave my daughter my old trimmer. I LOVE this thing. I don't have batteries in it, so I haven't tried the light, but it works great without that.

CutterPillar.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2013, 05:30 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Oh, I will be watching this thread, I want a new cutter too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2013, 06:37 AM   #4  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had the Making Memories one for about 5 years now and I'm still liking it best. Yes, the numbers have faded but with minimal maintenance, I'm still getting straight lines and clean cuts. I used to have the Fiskars and didn't care for it. I have heard great things about Dahl but it is outside of my budget.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2013, 07:07 AM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a shout out to the new stampin up trimmer. My old purple fiskars had all the markings worn off and I decided to check out the new one my demo was just using. I love it. There is a clear layer over the marking so they won't wear off. The guide extends past the 12 inch mark so the scoring bade stays at the top and you can still cut a 12 x 12 sheet. The blade isn't self sharpening but it seems to have a long life. It isn't rotary so you may not be interested in it for that reason. But I love it! It also has a compartment underneath for extra blades.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2013, 09:49 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the Making Memories trimmer, and love it! The first one I bought several years ago had a problem with the grid lines fading. I think the ones made around that time all had this problem. I contacted Making Memories, and they sent me a brand new one, no receipt or questions asked.

The new one is now "old", lol. I've used it for several years. It works just as well as the day I got it. The self-sharpening blade is my favorite feature. It makes clean, crisp cuts time after time.

Some people have complained about a "squeeking" noise when the blade slides along the cutting bar. This can be remedied easily if you wipe the bar with some WD 40, household oil, or even a little Pledge furniture polish on a paper towel.

It's pretty heavy and sturdy, but folds up easily. It might not be the best trimmer if you want something to put in your bag and take with you though. I always craft at home, so that isn't a problem for me.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2013, 07:48 PM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

toodlesyall - oozak sells a Dahle rotary trimmer 12.5" self sharpening for $50. The rest are way beyond my budget (and needs!) too

cardmaker2 - I am way too lazy to replace blades. I am looking at a rotary one, because I have found without the bar to hold the blade straight, I tend to cut wavy lines...

chautona - o_O I wanted to buy the cutter pillar just because it is called a cutter pillar! It looks pretty awesome though. I will have to see if they will post to Australia for a reasonable price

buggainok - thanks for the feedback on the making memories trimmer. It is so hard to decide which one to get!

I think I have added another trimmer - the cutter pillar - to the list of potentials. If only it was easier to narrow down!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2013, 01:03 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

My vote is for the CARL Rotatrim- Amazon.com
I got mine about 5 years ago- still going strong. Greatest part about it is the number of shaped blades you can get for cutting. When I got mine it came as a deal with all the blades(wavy, deckle,scoring,postage stamp etc).
Blades here .
Carl USA Site
I think Staples carries them too.

Last edited by shazsilverwolf; 04-21-2013 at 01:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2013, 02:34 AM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

Location: Michigan ( where else can you point out where you live on your hand)

I LOVE my Genisys!!! I waited 15 months and paid about &300 But I saved for it over time. I'm pretty sure the wait time has decreased. Well worth the money! Got the 16 in with the edge light. I have had it over 5 years and the blade is as good as new. It is not portable. Still looking for a cutter I really like to tote around. Got the Creative Memories rotary and do like it. My only problem with it is the magnet is really strong, making it hard it lift the paper guide.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2013, 09:32 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

So far I like my fiskar procision trimmer. It's available with coupons so you can get it for a good price. It will make fine, straight cuts and cut more than one sheet at a time.
Mob
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2013, 09:43 AM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

I love my Genesis trimmer! I have used it for over 10 years and still haven't sharpened the blade.

It gets a lot of use as I am a SU! demo.

It's really awesome!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2013, 09:44 AM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

I've got a Fiskar Rotary paper trimmer which I love. I think my love has to do with the fact that I sew too so the rotary blade thing was the draw for me.

Scrapbooking Rotary Paper Trimmer 12 / Products - Buy Online (Price $39.99) | Fiskars

Lots of people like the Stampin Up trimmer because the plate is 6 inches so you don't have to constantly pull out the extender when you cut a basic card.

I think it's a user preference. I started with the Cricut slide cutter - as a newby it was good but now - hate it! This Fiskar one is awesome for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2013, 02:12 PM   #13  
BSD
Matboard Maniac

Another vote for the Making Memories trimmer. I have had mine for years and still really like it. The blade is still sharp, and it is solid. As stated before, it is a little heavy to lug around, but it is still the one I take to crops, etc. Good luck choosing one.

Barb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2013, 02:33 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

I've had a Genesis Trimmer for almost 20 years and have only replaced the blade once. When I purchased mine there was only a two week wait time. I love it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2013, 05:10 PM   #15  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom

Received 123 Likes on 109 Posts

My current trimmer is similar to the Fiskars one Tinalala described, but it has a larger base:
Card Making Rotary Paper Trimmer (12") / Products | Fiskars

I really like that the 8.25" wide base means I don't have to deal with a swing arm ruler in an inconvenient place (why oh why do so many trimmers have the bend of the swing arm at 4" or at 5.5"?). I also like that it has 1/16" measurement markings. It gives nice, straight, smooth cuts, and it's capable of cutting very narrow strips. The one thing I don't like is that there's no way to lock the blade into place when you're not using it. There's a lock for the cutting rail, but the blade can still slide easily on it even when the rail is locked. This is a small issue for me because I can't keep my trimmer on my desk all the time; I have to store it on its side on the floor beside my desk.

However, the most awesome thing about this trimmer was the price! I didn't really NEED a new trimmer, but I found this a few weeks ago at Michael's with a $19.99 clearance price tag, and figured at that price it was worth a try to see if I liked it. Then it rang up as $17.99! I doubt I would have paid the original price of $59.99, but if you can get one with a 40% off or 50% off coupon I'd consider it worth your money.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2013, 09:02 AM   #16  
Glitter Queen

I had the Making Memories trimmer and loved it. It gave straight, crisp cuts. One caveat, if you have a hubby who borrows your things, or kids...my husband used mine to cut a photo mat and dulled the blade. The cutter is now an expensive paperweight. I tried various things to sharpen the blade and contacted MM. Basically it's ruined. Not the fault of the product, but if anything happens, the whole thing is shot. I still think it must be possible to replace the blade if I take it apart, but you can't buy a new blade.

I really did love it and may just break down and buy another one, but I hate the waste factor so much that I've hesitated.

Just another opinion!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2013, 01:18 PM   #17  
Compulsive Stamper

Mine died this weekend, so I'm curious to see the recommendations that come in on this thread
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2013, 01:57 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh My Crafts has the cutterpillar on sale right now for 90 plus 10 shipping.

Here's the link in my email

Oh My Crafts - Delivering Possibilities
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2013, 05:20 PM   #19  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I have a Genesis and absolutely love it. For a while there was a long wait list for this trimmer, but that is no longer the case. If you get a Genesis you will probably never need another trimmer.

Genesis

I have the 16" with edgelight. The 16" is the one you'll want to get if you cut a lot of 12" x 12". I love mine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2013, 02:58 AM   #20  
Kookie Creator

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I think eksuccess do a rotary trimmer from memory.

Eta:
Yep, here it is
http://www.eksuccessbrands.com/ektoo...ink_EKCP06.htm

My Blog

Last edited by Kathleen Mc; 04-24-2013 at 03:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2013, 03:07 AM   #21  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Someone gave me an "old" Making Memories awhile back & I LOVED IT! I guess it had seen it's "Glory Days" BEFORE I received it! A piece broke off & then I had to let it go! BUT, for a ROTARY CUTTER, I thought it was THE BEST! If I were to buy another Rotary Cutter, I would choose Making Memories! I chose a Guillotine though when I replaced it, a Tonic Cutter!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2013, 04:11 AM   #22  
Inking Addict

I have a Tonic that I've used for 4 or 5 years now, and I love it! It will cut tiny slices off the edge of a sheet of paper. It's supposed to not be able to cut you if you get a finger in the way, but I have never stuck my finger in to test this! :0)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2013, 04:22 AM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

Received 931 Likes on 852 Posts

I really love my Fiskars trimmers....I have many, the basic one that I let the grandkids use and then I have the new rotary and the new 8 inch blade one. Certian cuts needs more precision then the rotary can provide. But for me it's Fiskars, Fiskars, Fiskars!! In fact I still can't seem to throw out my old purple fiskar rotary. The blades were not replaceable so you needed the entire housing thingy too and they no longer make those but there is always hope I'll find one somewhere right? LOL

Last edited by HOBBYSUE; 04-24-2013 at 04:23 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2013, 04:31 AM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

I replaced my faithful Creative Memories cutter a couple of years ago because I no longer had a demo in town to buy replacement blades. BIG mistake and I'm glad I still have it and am seeking replacement blades for the CM once again. Before changing to a rotary blade, make sure you can try it out and you're pleased with it as I'd never buy another one. The blade for the Fiskars one I bought seems to be "thick" and does not give a clean cut. From the beginning it cuts worse than the CM cutter with dull blades. I wish I understood the rage behind people wanting to change to the rotary blades.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2013, 04:32 AM   #25  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChautonaView Post
I just purchased this one a couple of months ago and after much use, I gave my daughter my old trimmer. I LOVE this thing. I don't have batteries in it, so I haven't tried the light, but it works great without that.

CutterPillar.com
I have one too, and it is fantastic! $90 with coupon from Oh My Crafts website, and worth every penny! The only one I've found that ALWAYS cuts straight, and you can cut in tiny increments if needed. Check it out!
QFTD 258
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2013, 06:42 AM   #26  
Matboard Maniac

The Genesis is considered the best one on the market, but very pricey. I've loved my Making Memories trimmer, the one that folds in the middle. But you can't replace broken parts and despite the claim that the blade will never dull, after so many years mine just does not give the best cut anymore. Calling the company has not helped at all. I just broke down and bought the new ProCision trimmer from Fiskars and I'm very pleased with it. Just remember to pull the blade towards you, rather than push away. They have them at Joann's Fabrics and you can use your coupons.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2013, 07:17 AM   #27  
Glitter Queen

If money is no object I strongly recommend the Rotatrim, Pro 18" . I have had mine for 15 years and have never had anything but sharp, precision cuts. I'll never need another one in my lifetime.
However, the cost is $302.17!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2013, 08:57 AM   #28  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardmaker2View Post
Here is a shout out to the new stampin up trimmer. My old purple fiskars had all the markings worn off and I decided to check out the new one my demo was just using. I love it. There is a clear layer over the marking so they won't wear off. The guide extends past the 12 inch mark so the scoring bade stays at the top and you can still cut a 12 x 12 sheet. The blade isn't self sharpening but it seems to have a long life. It isn't rotary so you may not be interested in it for that reason. But I love it! It also has a compartment underneath for extra blades.
One the SU cutters, where do you buy extra blades. Can you get them somewhere besides SU?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2013, 08:57 AM   #29  
Matboard Maniac

One the SU cutters, where do you buy extra blades. Can you get them somewhere besides SU?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2013, 09:15 AM   #30  
Matboard Maniac

I have had at least 20 trimmers throughout the 20years of crafting. My newest one is my favorite. It fits your criteria and it is available with a coupon. It is the Fiskars Procision Trimmer. I was saving up for a Genesis and came across this. I believe it was around $100 but I used a 50% coupon. I love it and can not believe how accurate it is and it folds. Hope you check it out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2013, 09:50 AM   #31  
Matboard Maniac

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in need of a great trimmer. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2013, 09:56 AM   #32  
Embossing Fanatic

The Cutterpillar is great! And Oh My Crafts has been having an event-special pricing on them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2013, 08:22 PM   #33  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by jodylbView Post
I have one too, and it is fantastic! $90 with coupon from Oh My Crafts website, and worth every penny! The only one I've found that ALWAYS cuts straight, and you can cut in tiny increments if needed. Check it out!
I also have one of these and got it the last time OMC had this special pricing. It is worth every penny - IMHO. I LOVE this cutter and have tried several others and couldn't get good cuts with any of them - I think I am paper cutter challenged - until I got the Cutterpillar Pro (I do not work for this company!).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2013, 08:59 PM   #34  
Cardstock Collector

I recently bought the table top trimmer from Stampin' Up! and I love it! And I'm so glad I purchased it -- it's now on the retired list...
It's guillotine style, super lightweight with a self-sharpening blade -- some demos have had it for years and it's still as sharp as the first time they used it -- and it accomodates 12x12 paper and can cut the tiniest slivers of paper, thin enough to be used like paper thread! Amazingly, the blade doesn't even feel sharp to the touch, but it cuts through cardstock (3-4 sheets), chipboard, glimmer paper and other thicker materials like butter. I just can't say enough good things about this product! Oh, and the price is incredible -- $46! Can't beat that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2013, 05:36 AM   #35  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

SU is coming out with a rotary arm to go in their new paper trimmer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2013, 05:50 AM   #36  
Polyshrink Goddess

My vote also is for the CARL Rotatrim- Amazon.com.. I also have this paper trimmer. Love love it..cuts so clean and no ragged edges. Would highly recommend this......~~~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2013, 05:55 PM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Had a Creative Memories rotary cutter and didn't like it. Think my problem is I don't like rotary cutters. I now have a Dahle guillotine and my only complaint is that the grid is worn off. I looked at purchasing a new one (the 15 rather than the 12), but since the one I have still cuts so well and the footprint is better for my small area, I will probably stick with it. I even tried to draw the lines back on, but didn't do such a great job. (I's harder than you might think!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2013, 06:10 PM   #38  
Stazon Splitcoast

It seems to me like companies obviously need to take note and someone needs to sell vinyl cling grids to put on these things when they wear off!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2013, 06:19 PM   #39  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Quote:

It seems to me like companies obviously need to take note and someone needs to sell vinyl cling grids to put on these things when they wear off!
Hooray for this!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2013, 07:56 PM   #40  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Quote:

CutterPillar.com
This is the one I will be getting soon.
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes