Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree1641Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2013, 07:02 PM   #1081
Stazon Splitcoast

I would think that using colored pencils along with ink would qualify or if you added some chalk/pastels or even a glitter pen or crystal effects. In the first mixability challenge Lydia asked us to mix a shiny medium with a flat medium and this was the list:
You can use these for your matte texture, or others:

Matte Gesso OR
Chalk Ink OR
Acrylic paint OR
Matte pigment ink OR
Chalks/pastels

And here are some examples of shiny mediums:

Embossing powder OR
Dimensional glaze like Crystal Effects or Glossy Accents OR
Glitter OR
Decorative foils OR
Metallic embellishments OR
Glaze pens

Read more: MIX1 - Yin Yang

Stamping for my Sanity's Sake!

Romans 8:28-29
I finally have a blog! Click here to check it out.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 10-27-2013, 04:20 AM   #1082
Lives in a fishbowl
Proud Fan Club Member

Thank you ladies for trying to help me (and others) understand...do you start by deciding what stamp image to use or do you decide on your medium first?

ALSO...when does the after party of this party begin? On Nov. 1 or after uploading is finished? Thinking I need to schedule in some after party, party time on the computer and the best way to do that is to put a sticky on the calendar saying "Sorry, I'm not available"! They don't need to know WHY I'm not available!!!!
jeenny2010 likes this post.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:30 AM   #1083
Stazon Splitcoast

As I've been doing the Mixability challenges, I look at what the technique is and decided on my main image/die cut from there. Of course, things rarely go quite as planned, but I think some of the messier background techniques lend themselves well to a more vintage, shabby chic tone and others that look more like modern art to me will work with just a sentiment or a fresher image. It has been a lot of fun to try new things and I find myself going back to them over and over on other challenges now. I think one of my favorite looks is the Gesso over dictionary or music pages with some added stamping or color-it is a very muted effect. I also love the spatter or dripping on bg's too. One of the things that surprised my about the Mixability challenges was realizing that I had already been doing mixed media and just didn't know it!
Well, enough computer time, I need to get ready for church. To those who attend churches, have a good day of worship. It is fun to think of all my internet friends gathering with their local church families, but all of us together praising Him!

UnderstandBlue, jeenny2010 and tessaduck like this post.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:55 AM   #1084
Watercolor Wizard

Mixability is definitely not for me. Neither is Vintage. I did complete both challenges, though. I'm ok with trying new things BUT sometimes they just aren't for me. With mixability it's not the messiness. It's the concept. If I use two different mediums it's completely by need or accident - not a deliberate act. I hate to color images (not good at it - never have beeb and probably never will be) so that's probably why I'm not a "mixer".

Is everyone realizing that October is almost over? I think this is the quickest month of the year for me!
Old 10-27-2013, 06:12 AM   #1085
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Tickle a Teapotter Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramomma View Post
Thank you ladies for trying to help me (and others) understand...do you start by deciding what stamp image to use or do you decide on your medium first?

ALSO...when does the after party of this party begin? On Nov. 1 or after uploading is finished? Thinking I need to schedule in some after party, party time on the computer and the best way to do that is to put a sticky on the calendar saying "Sorry, I'm not available"! They don't need to know WHY I'm not available!!!!
I'd be inclined to start with my stamp - or a die-cut- and then choose my mediums. But that's my normal process anyway.
We're on our way back home and given the absolutely torrential rain I'm more than glad we're not on the motorbike!
SCS Photo Challenge #201 ~Vacation Favourites
Ways to Use It : Thursday Challenge ~Make It Monumental
Techniques ~ Monday is Technique Time - TLC499: Tape It Off
UnderstandBlue likes this post.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:01 AM   #1086
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

should I chime in with I abhor color combo challenges?
its like being handed an 8 pack box of crayons and instills fear in my heart every time.
( I can do them, I find I can do most things even the ones I don't want to do but, the problem is I like colors so being limited to a few is the challenge.)
cjzim likes this post.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:21 AM   #1087
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBgreendawn View Post
its like being handed an 8 pack box of crayons and instills fear in my heart every time.
( I can do them, I find I can do most things even the ones I don't want to do but, the problem is I like colors so being limited to a few is the challenge.)
It's funny how people gravitate to different challenges - probably some scientist should study it.

I struggle with anything that's very concrete. I do better with "idea" challenges than challenges that determine design. So I love mix ability because layout, image, color is all up to me.

I love inspiration challenges because I can interpret them. I find song challenges fun for the same reason.

Think I can get a grant to study challenge preferences and their relationship to learning styles?

My Gallery |My Blog | My Store
Love Splitcoast?
Help us love our volunteers by shopping at Amazon

JBgreendawn and Cook22 like this post.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:32 AM   #1088
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Nah. I'll admit to being an analytical, logical math geek who'd prefer a CAS sketch (layout/schematic) to mm and fussy. Ha! Main idea remains: We're here to participate in the challenges, have fun learning new stuff, support/encourage each other and, with hycct, contribute and serve. Thanks, Lydia, for your work to make it happen.
cjzim, UnderstandBlue and patiak like this post.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:39 AM   #1089
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
SCS Gallery Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBgreendawn View Post
Oh yes - color challenges freeze me in my tracks too! I tell myself that if I did them more often instead of only when I had to, I'd find them easier. But I'm not sure, LOL.
UnderstandBlue likes this post.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:41 AM   #1090
Stazon Splitcoast

So fun that we're all so different! I'm glad there are people making samples for all the challenges because it helps me so much to see the different approaches. I'm really loving Pinterest as well for the concrete examples of ideas in action. I'm pretty sure that I'm less original in my ideas than a lot of people, but I have a lot of fun translating those inspirations into my own versions.

Ksnurse and tessaduck like this post.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:47 AM   #1091
Lives in a fishbowl
Proud Fan Club Member

I'm thrilled to be learning...really thrilled...but I ask a lot of questions while I learn...in any subject not just card making...

And...I am sure there is a grant out there for someone to study this subject in art...so request it and I'm sure it will be available to you!
mamaxsix likes this post.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:47 AM   #1092

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaxsix View Post
One of the things that surprised my about the Mixability challenges was realizing that I had already been doing mixed media and just didn't know it!
That's exactly what we wanted!

Also, to show that mixed media can be very CAS - which is my preferred mode of operation. Biggan (Birgit) is such a phenomenal CAS mixed media artist - she is totally my hero.

I saw some awesome stuff at the show I was at this week in Charlotte that I can't wait to try. I love that our industry keeps coming out with new things we all *need*

Love Splitcoast?

mamaxsix, muscrat and tessaduck like this post.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:11 PM   #1093

Quote:

I need to start with an idea or prompt. A themed word or visual prompt will usually lead to starting with an image. A colour/texture inspired prompt will usually start with a medium.

With the mix media challenge for HYCCT that had no prompts I was stuck at the starting blocks for a while. So I look at my stamps and I look thru my stash til I find something that grabs my attention. This time around it was an old technique sample scrap I'd made ages ago that begged to be part of this challenge

If I could offer a tip to those who are struggling with the mix media challenge. Don't try to reinvent yourself, but do what you do and add something extra or different. For example, I've looked thru some of your galleries and found several designs that could be altered ever so slightly to achieve the mix media goal. Try remaking a card and see what happens. BTW, looking thru your galleries has inspired me with some of the challenges I'm having issues with.
mamaxsix likes this post.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:14 PM   #1094
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
SCS Gallery Moderator

Quote:
I'm thrilled to be learning...really thrilled...but I ask a lot of questions while I learn...in any subject not just card making...

And...I am sure there is a grant out there for someone to study this subject in art...so request it and I'm sure it will be available to you!
Isn't that the best way to learn . Asking and doing.

I'm off for an early night here - I'm going to pretend that the clock didn't go back and it really is after ten, because that's certainly how tired I feel.

So - did you all have fun with today's vintage option . I know Gail rocks that. I have to admit it's one I used to have a LOT of trouble with the concept, but now I have a few go-to techniques and I can even do feminine vintage instead of just a grungy masculine look .
Old 10-27-2013, 01:16 PM   #1095

This is sort of related to today's challenge, to honor an elder. My card's a memorial to my sister, who taught me to sew. She suffered a fatal stroke last spring. I asked for a few of her shirts to sew into quilts for her daughter and four great grand-daughters. I finished them and shipped them last week. My niece just e-mailed this picture of them with their "Grape Grandma" quilts. Timely?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wrapped.jpg (50.4 KB, 29 views)
cjzim, JBgreendawn, mamaxsix and 2 others like this post.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:21 PM   #1096
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
SCS Gallery Moderator

You got them all finished! Well done, Brenda. That was a real labour of love and I'm sure those memorial quilts will be treasured for years to come.
tessaduck likes this post.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:30 PM   #1097
Glitter Guru

Wow, Brenda, the quilts are so pretty and what a thoughtful gift to your family to honor your sister. I'm sure they will cherish those forever. Love that idea!
Old 10-27-2013, 01:31 PM   #1098
Stazon Splitcoast

That really is wonderful Brenda, thank you for sharing this too! Big Smiles all the way around!

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...&ppuser=336745
Fan Club member
QFTD128
Old 10-27-2013, 01:35 PM   #1099

Okay, so I've just been fereting around SCS trying to figure out why one of my cards is getting so much attention. I finally looked into FB page, which I never go to ordinarily. Lydia you made me cry. I mean real salty tears. I think you can imagine some of my angst and emotion with doing a mixed media theme after the circumstances of having to withdraw from the MM team earlier this year. I've been too scared to participate for feeling like I have failed in a small way. I know I haven't failed but I still feel some of the pain of that just the same. There's a little piece of my heart on my sleeve there.
JBgreendawn, mamaxsix, SinCityGal and 2 others like this post.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:39 PM   #1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessaduck View Post
This is sort of related to today's challenge, to honor an elder. My card's a memorial to my sister, who taught me to sew. She suffered a fatal stroke last spring. I asked for a few of her shirts to sew into quilts for her daughter and four great grand-daughters. I finished them and shipped them last week. My niece just e-mailed this picture of them with their "Grape Grandma" quilts. Timely?
While I was blubbering you were posting these beautiful quilts. You have made a thing of heartfelt beauty. Well done on not only making the quilts but making them a legacy to honour you sister.
cjzim and tessaduck like this post.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:52 PM   #1101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misstreez View Post
Okay, so I've just been fereting around SCS trying to figure out why one of my cards is getting so much attention. I finally looked into FB page, which I never go to ordinarily. Lydia you made me cry. I mean real salty tears. I think you can imagine some of my angst and emotion with doing a mixed media theme after the circumstances of having to withdraw from the MM team earlier this year. I've been too scared to participate for feeling like I have failed in a small way. I know I haven't failed but I still feel some of the pain of that just the same. There's a little piece of my heart on my sleeve there.
OHHHHH you made ME cry!!!

You know I'm your biggest fan! You haven't failed anything! Oh - except to teach me how to walk across a flooded river on a ladder. Wait - I don't want to know!

LOVE you and everything you do! That card made my jaw drop.

Love Splitcoast?

Misstreez and jeenny2010 like this post.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:01 PM   #1102
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misstreez View Post
Well, dang! Lydia makes me cry ALL the time.

I'm so glad that you played in the challenge. You took my breath away.
Educator For Faber Castell Design Memory Craft *Scrapbook Adhesives by 3LŪ Design Team *
"Creativity is intelligence having fun." - Albert Einstein
Old 10-27-2013, 04:03 PM   #1103
Lives in a fishbowl
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderstandBlue View Post

LOVE you and everything you do! That card made my jaw drop.

I want to drop my jaw...where do I find the card?

While I wait for my jaw to drop I'm going to continue on the mixed up card that I have going...so far it's cute...going to search for embossing...
Old 10-27-2013, 05:04 PM   #1104
Stazon Splitcoast

Here it is and it is quite a beauty!

Old 10-27-2013, 05:35 PM   #1105
Lives in a fishbowl
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaxsix View Post
Here it is and it is quite a beauty!

Thanks...and yes...it is a beauty...
Old 10-27-2013, 05:59 PM   #1106

Brenda....WOW!!! what a wonderful gift of love you have given them. They will treasure those forever...

QFTD38 and proud fan club member

Join us for Christmas Card Challenge 2013and All Occasion Card Challenge 2013
Y'all are cordially invited to a teaparty with the Sisterhood of the Traveling Teaparty.
resident lurker at the You Can Do It challenge
Old 10-27-2013, 06:05 PM   #1107
Lives in a fishbowl
Proud Fan Club Member

I think I have finished all the challenges so that I am caught up at the moment...until tomorrow morning...

Good night...
Old 10-27-2013, 07:42 PM   #1108
Kookie Creator

Send a message via AIM to gl1253

Those quilts are beautiful. As a quilt designer and pattern maker, I certainly appreciate all the work that went into those. How long did that take you? What a wonderful tribute.

I am caught up until tomorrow. I'll sleep well tonight!
Old 10-27-2013, 08:10 PM   #1109

It took a little less than 6 months to piece the 5 quilt tops. A couple friends helped piece some of the subunits. I took the tops with backs to a professional to have them machine quilted, which took another month. Thankfully, he finished them a couple at a time so I could keep up with the binding. Oh, and one of the buddies bound Kim's (niece's) quilt, which was a queen. The girls' quilts are twin sized. The pattern is based on Day Dreaming.

And I'm caught up until tomorrow, too.
Kathleen Lammie likes this post.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:57 PM   #1110

Hugs to all you wonderful women. I know I'm part of something really special when I come here.
Ksnurse and jeenny2010 like this post.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:34 AM   #1111
Stampin' Fool

I'm only 7 cards behind everyone.

Thank goodness the deadline is November 7th.

I'm going to try my best to catch up but I start another school week and that always puts me behind a couple of days.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:39 AM   #1112

Okay - I just got back from Charlotte, NC which is one of the nicest cities I've ever been to. So clean and safe and the people are so nice!

We had something at two Italian restaurants that I was wondering if anyone was familiar with. It was a white bean bruschetta topping - cannellini beans, basil, olive oil, garlic, onions and probably some other seasonings. It was incredible!

It was slightly different at the two places - sort of like salsa is here - I'm sure everyone puts their own touch on it. I'd love to have a recipe if anyone has one. I've googled it nine ways to Sunday and not really found anything that was quite it.

Love Splitcoast?

Old 10-28-2013, 06:06 AM   #1113
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
SCS Gallery Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr8iveme View Post
I'm only 7 cards behind everyone.

Thank goodness the deadline is November 7th.

I'm going to try my best to catch up but I start another school week and that always puts me behind a couple of days.
I just saw your lovely Cinderella card when I was approving a page of uploads just now. It was such a clever card for Paula's challenge.

And, seeing her cooking away and your signature - check this out : Doctor Who at Lakeland
Old 10-28-2013, 06:08 AM   #1114
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderstandBlue View Post
Okay - I just got back from Charlotte, NC which is one of the nicest cities I've ever been to. So clean and safe and the people are so nice!

We had something at two Italian restaurants that I was wondering if anyone was familiar with. It was a white bean bruschetta topping - cannellini beans, basil, olive oil, garlic, onions and probably some other seasonings. It was incredible!

It was slightly different at the two places - sort of like salsa is here - I'm sure everyone puts their own touch on it. I'd love to have a recipe if anyone has one. I've googled it nine ways to Sunday and not really found anything that was quite it.
LOL, on your descrip of googling! but can't help you out with that recipe. i would just use all the ingredients you posted, rough chop them in a food processor and add a dash of mixed italian seasonings. (penzeys is my brand) it sounds yummy
Old 10-28-2013, 06:30 AM   #1115
Stazon Splitcoast

Argggh, my laptop is not reading my photo cards. My good camera is also on the blink and it is the one that I would have a cord for. The substitute cameras I've been using were yard sale finds and didn't have the cords with them. I'll have to hunt around and see if I can come up with something. I finished my mixed media card along with the honoring elders card last night and had edited and saved the elders card, but wanted to try to photograph the mixed media one again to try to pick up the added glitter pen better and when I went to get the file onto the computer the computer wouldn't read it. I've tried another photo card and that isn't the issue. Boo!

Old 10-28-2013, 07:43 AM   #1116
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Brenda, those Quilts are FABULOUS! you got them done so very quick!
Old 10-28-2013, 07:43 AM   #1117
Stazon Splitcoast

DH brought his computer home and let me use it to upload. I got it done and the thumbnail looks right, but when I open it the photo is opening up with a weird shadow all over the bottom. Who knows-technology is not my friend!

Old 10-28-2013, 07:45 AM   #1118
Crafting. Procrastinating. Caffeinating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook22 View Post
I just saw your lovely Cinderella card when I was approving a page of uploads just now. It was such a clever card for Paula's challenge.

And, seeing her cooking away and your signature - check this out : Doctor Who at Lakeland
Shut. Up. That is so freakishly awesome! My kids would flip out over weeping angel cookies!

Gallery Blog

Relax, nothing is under control.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:50 AM   #1119
Crafting. Procrastinating. Caffeinating.

Brenda, those quilts are amazing and the picture is the sweetest!

Theresa, your card is jaw dropping!

Sabrina, I love/hate you for posting that awesome bakeware. Just kidding, I only love you!

Lydia, I have no idea what that is, but I'll try to ask my grandmother. The only thing she ever cooked for us is spaghetti, but she's first generation Italian American and has a wicked family cookbook.

Gail, sorry the tech is not working with you today!

And hi! We had a busy weekend with the playgroup costume party, zoo boo, a birthday party, a million library books to return, and I have 6 or 7 HYCCT cards to photograph and upload today.

Gallery Blog

Relax, nothing is under control.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:52 AM   #1120

I have a recipe for something pretty close to that for white bean hummus. I'll post it later today. (will have to dig through the stack to find it)

QFTD38 and proud fan club member

Join us for Christmas Card Challenge 2013and All Occasion Card Challenge 2013
Y'all are cordially invited to a teaparty with the Sisterhood of the Traveling Teaparty.
resident lurker at the You Can Do It challenge