Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree1641Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2013, 02:27 AM   #921
Lives in a fishbowl
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook22 View Post
I understand the reasoning behind wanting to have an album, but personally I go with Patricia's method of having a folder on my computer for HYCCT cards (and folders for all the other challenges) and keep them organised that way for my own satisfaction, while still having them uploaded to correct and searchable galleries on SCS.
Could you explain why someone would have an album? I've never understood this part of the gallery. I normally don't go back to look at my cards (other than during DTGD I did go read comments once.)

Am I missing something?
Old 10-22-2013, 02:48 AM   #922
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Tickle a Teapotter Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramomma View Post
Could you explain why someone would have an album? I've never understood this part of the gallery. I normally don't go back to look at my cards (other than during DTGD I did go read comments once.)

Am I missing something?

It's a matter of personal preference. Some people like to to be organised that way, and have albums for everything, and don't mind that they're not easily searchable by other people. Maybe some people prefer that little bit more privacy? Maybe some people don't understand that when they use albums it can be harder for other people to find and view their work
If you want to share RAK cards you've received from other people, it's definitely the best way to do that. I have albums for RAK and BRAK cards (when I had the time and energy to take photos of them - although in mitigation before Chrome came along it was MUCH harder for mods to upload to albums) and I did put my earliest ATCs in one but then any I made after that I uploaded to the ATC category.

I totally get the organised aspect because on my computer my card folder has sub-folders for HYCCT, DTGD, MFT sketches, ODBD challenges, TLC challenges and so on . Once a month or so I tidy it up and put everything where it belongs. I like to be able to view them like that sometimes. But I think the galleries here are a resource for the community, so for me I feel going down the album route here defeats that.

And now I'd better be real-life organised since I just got back from doing a big supermarket shop and only sat down for a cup of tea before doing all the unpacking!! And to open a package from a pen-friend and read the two letters she included in it.
SCS Photo Challenge #201 ~Vacation Favourites
Ways to Use It : Thursday Challenge ~Make It Monumental
Techniques ~ Monday is Technique Time - TLC499: Tape It Off
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 10-22-2013, 03:30 AM   #923
Glitter Guru

Just catching up on the chatter here. Lots going on.

Gail, very fun that your DD likes to stamp with you. I think I have a cardmaker in the making, my three year old likes to "make cards", she colors pictures and puts them in envelopes and drops them in our mail box.

I love anything pumpkin. Last year on pinterest I found so many recipes. Love pumpkin oatmeal, pumpkin bars, pumpkin cookies, really anything pumpkin. I made a pumpkin white bean soup for lunch yesterday, it was really good.

Jen, how fun is that duck set! Great idea for a set and they really made it cute. I can't wait to see what you create with it.

It's funny, I've never given any thought to the albums on here. That probably gives you an indication of how organized I am!

Going to check out where I am on the challenges. I think I'm just a few behind. Hoping to catch up today. The Elvis challenge has me excited. I've got lots of ideas, my dad is a huge Elvis fan and I love lots of his songs.

Hope everyone is having a great week.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:48 AM   #924
Lives in a fishbowl
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
It's a matter of personal preference. Some people like to to be organised that way, and have albums for everything, and don't mind that they're not easily searchable by other people. Maybe some people prefer that little bit more privacy? Maybe some people don't understand that when they use albums it can be harder for other people to find and view their work
If you want to share RAK cards you've received from other people, it's definitely the best way to do that. I have albums for RAK and BRAK cards (when I had the time and energy to take photos of them - although in mitigation before Chrome came along it was MUCH harder for mods to upload to albums) and I did put my earliest ATCs in one but then any I made after that I uploaded to the ATC category.

I totally get the organised aspect because on my computer my card folder has sub-folders for HYCCT, DTGD, MFT sketches, ODBD challenges, TLC challenges and so on . Once a month or so I tidy it up and put everything where it belongs. I like to be able to view them like that sometimes. But I think the galleries here are a resource for the community, so for me I feel going down the album route here defeats that.

And now I'd better be real-life organised since I just got back from doing a big supermarket shop and only sat down for a cup of tea before doing all the unpacking!! And to open a package from a pen-friend and read the two letters she included in it.
OH DEAR...a few acronyms that I don't know...

BRAK, ODBD and TLC...I think I should know TLC but can't remember it...

I've not uploaded to SCS very often...my son taught me to put the cards on our computer then once a month he moves them to a Picasa or Google link for me that I sometimes share with a few people...but often I forget to share it so they just sit on the computer!

Guess it doesn't collect dust when in the computer!!!!
Old 10-22-2013, 03:58 AM   #925
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
SCS Gallery Moderator

BRAK - Birthday RAK cards
ODBD is Our Daily Bread Designs - one of the few off-site challenges I play in regularly, so I like to file them together.
TLC - in this case it's technique lovers challenge - Mondays here on SCS.

Plenty of dust in my computer, LOL. Last time I had to open it up I couldn't believe it. But I know you're speaking figuratively not literally . And now you know how to upload (I presume) you can keep on doing it . Taking a good photo can be the harder part, almost.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:26 AM   #926
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by superjen View Post
They're here! Last spring I won a prize over at Kitchen Sink Stamps. I got a gift certficate and I got to suggest a stamp set. I suggested Rubber Duckies (I did NOT design them, their cuteness is all Maria), thinking they would be fun to dress up like the ones Oriental Trading company sells. And I asked for an "awfully fond of you" sentiment since I'm a big Ernie and Bert fan. Anyway, she liked the idea and they have been released. Along with some accessories. My set (part of the prize) should be waiting with the vacation hold mail. Eager to get inky tonight! I'm a week's worth of challenges behind so hoping to use them for HYCCT! Isn't that a cool prize?

New Stamps are in the Kitchen! | Kitchensinkstamps's Weblog
How fun that you got to suggest a stamp to be designed. My sister, Lynn is on KSS DT and Maria gave them a chance to suggest a design as well. Lynn suggested a guitar and it is my all time favorite. Happy stamping when you get home.

The joy of the LORD is my strength.

Right Brain Madness --My blog
Proud member of the redDivas
KSS certified multi-step stamper
Fan Club member since 2004
Old 10-22-2013, 04:30 AM   #927
Stazon Splitcoast

I will be missing from action for the next 4 days as I am off to be a part of a prison ministry team. I will suffer withdrawals from not having a challenge to do. I just have enjoyed all of the challenges so much this year. I have about 30 plus cards to mail when I get home, but will wait until I get caught up on the ones I missed. Have fun stamping while I am away, and I will try to get caught up on Monday.

stamp300, nillysilly_ol'bear and mamaxsix like this post.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:48 AM   #928
Proud Fan Club Member

Does anyone know what time the thread challenges are released or opened to us? Have some errands to do and wanted to get my card done first...
temporary design team for Bugaboo
Old 10-22-2013, 04:52 AM   #929
Stazon Splitcoast

I thought they were suppose to be up by 8. I was hoping I could do a quick one before I left for work. Otherwise it won't get done before next Monday.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:36 AM   #930
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
SCS Gallery Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazylizard View Post
I thought they were suppose to be up by 8. I was hoping I could do a quick one before I left for work. Otherwise it won't get done before next Monday.
I hope the weekend goes really well for you. DH was at a small house meeting last Wednesday - a couple from the Christian Motorcycle Association who are involved with prison ministry in Washington State were over. He really enjoyed hearing their testimony and about the work.
mamaxsix likes this post.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:08 AM   #931
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Send a message via MSN to ohmypaper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaxsix View Post
DD has been stamping almost every day lately so I told her she could make cards for the challenges. We just signed her up so she could have her own gallery so as soon as she gets activated we'll get her going as Ella Bella.
I think I'm going to have to buy more paper though she tends to use the brighter colors that I generally avoid. She also LOVES pink and of course glitter and bling. Should be fun to do together.
Awesome!!! Let us know as soon as her gallery is open so we can make comments!!!! My teen liked it for just a bit but then she decided she liked drawing her own thing and not messing with CS. I miss that she doesn't come in here and want to use my papers anymore. We bought several packs for her. She does draw beautifully though.
mamaxsix likes this post.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:17 AM   #932
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Send a message via MSN to ohmypaper!

Hi stampers!

I finished today's flower card already only because I used a panel I was working on last night. I HOPE to make another one later but now I have to focus on hubby (it's his day off) and later I have a deadline card to work on....but keeping fingers crossed for another flower card to come.

Liz we will miss you but what a wonderful thing to do for someone else!

To album or not to album.....Funny...JUST ME of course but it feels "cleaner" for me to just see all my cards on the page. My brain doesn't like the albums, not sure why. I DO LOVE having albums on my PICTURE file in the computer though. I have one for every month and sometimes different ones for DT work too. I have LOTS of albums there.

Have fun today every one!! I am off!
Old 10-22-2013, 07:28 AM   #933
Lives in a fishbowl
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazylizard View Post
I see you are from Sugar Land, TX...have you ever heard of Louise Trotter? She's a harpist from there...and my daughter ADORES her!!!!
Old 10-22-2013, 07:58 AM   #934
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeenk View Post
does anyone know, if i want to make an album in my gallery called Janeen's HYCCT album to put all of my cards in one place, How do i get photos already uploaded to go into that album? Thank you.
It's best that you don't make an album, I already asked Lydia.
QFTD52
FS318
You Can Do It Challenge
HYCCT2013
Old 10-22-2013, 08:05 AM   #935
Lives in a fishbowl
Proud Fan Club Member

I do not understand how you ladies can get the KISS technique to look so nice on your cards...(I am aware this is not the KISS thread but on the KISS thread they have been successful...on here it's where the encouragement is!)...

I've tried several ways...one was the back of a clear block inked then stamped a solid design onto it and you can't see the difference because the clear solid design leaked ink underneath it...

I tried another solid stamp image and tried to remove ink spots with another stamp and it look like strange blobs on the solid image.

Then I've tried another solid image with a small flower image to life off some of the ink but it doesn't show very well...but looks better than the other 2 images...so I used the small flower image and made it be a background image too...

Do you ever send a card that you aren't happy with just because it fulfills the obligation? I really would like to be successful at this technique but I think a person needs the right type of stamps...and I obviously don't have the right type OR...I'm just left-handed and that will be my excuse!
Kathleen Curry and mamaxsix like this post.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:11 AM   #936
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
SCS Gallery Moderator

So are you using an un-inked stamp to lift ink off a solid one? I usually ink my solid stamp in a lighter colour and my textured one for kissing in a darker ink. I have somewhat better success with pigment inks than with distress, but I can get distress to work too.
Do you have Linen? It's a great one, or any script stamp.

Just adding that if something really doesn't work for me - I usually diecut it into a small shape and use that so I've fulfilled the terms of the challenge and am still happy with the card. I've done this with a few of the Mix-Ability challenges, LOL.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:25 AM   #937
Glitter Guru

I'm right there with you! I had about a million different stamps, inks, backgrounds, acrylic blocks and embossing folders. Really had trouble getting it to look crisp. I ended up making a butterfly, because I thought that the splotchy look was kind of cool on that image. I think, I have trouble because I'm heavy handed, I was pushing too hard against the clear stamp to get the ink off to make the pattern, then everything just smeared.

I like everyone's suggestions to die cut part of it to meet the challenge. I really love the look that people get, but can't seem to do it myself!
Old 10-22-2013, 08:26 AM   #938
Lives in a fishbowl
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
So are you using an un-inked stamp to lift ink off a solid one? I usually ink my solid stamp in a lighter colour and my textured one for kissing in a darker ink. I have somewhat better success with pigment inks than with distress, but I can get distress to work too.
Do you have Linen? It's a great one, or any script stamp.

Just adding that if something really doesn't work for me - I usually diecut it into a small shape and use that so I've fulfilled the terms of the challenge and am still happy with the card. I've done this with a few of the Mix-Ability challenges, LOL.
Thank you for the additional information...two times I kissed with ink...the last time I did not...I think I salvaged the card...my daughter said, "it's okay, it's not great"...so...I'll send it but I'm still not happy with it...I added some bling...and bling makes anything good right?

I looked through the gallery and got no place further...

Most of my stamps are old SU or old GKD and lots of single word stamps...

I'll chalk it up to another learning experience...and I do not like Mixed medias either...
Old 10-22-2013, 08:50 AM   #939

Send a message via Skype™ to philsmom
Default get those puppies checked

Old 10-22-2013, 08:52 AM   #940
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by philsmom View Post
I saw this on FB last night and it cracked me up - great idea to post here!
Check out the SU Creative Crew gallery HERE
Old 10-22-2013, 09:08 AM   #941
Stazon Splitcoast

It have to admit, I had trouble with the kissing technique too. I do have solid stamps that match the outline of the stamp so that made it much easier for me.
QFTD52
FS318
You Can Do It Challenge
HYCCT2013
Old 10-22-2013, 09:09 AM   #942
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjzim View Post
I saw this on FB last night and it cracked me up - great idea to post here!
I seen that on FB too the other night.
QFTD52
FS318
You Can Do It Challenge
HYCCT2013
Old 10-22-2013, 09:27 AM   #943
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Am I missing something?
I did not realize if I did an album others couldn't see it. I liked the idea of gallery albums b/c I kind of remember which cards i do for which challenges and I figured if I could look in an album I could find the card more quickly. Now that I know ppl cnat get to them, i will make the albums as folders on Mac computer.

Last edited by janeenk; 10-22-2013 at 10:03 AM..
Old 10-22-2013, 09:40 AM   #944
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
SCS Gallery Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeenk View Post
I did not realize if I did an album others couldn't see it. I liked the idea of gallery albums b/c I kind of remember which cards i do for which challenges and I figured if I could look in an album I could find the card more quickly. Now that I know ppl cnat get to them, i will make the albums as folders on Mac computer.
People can see them! But they have to go to your Member Gallery and then click on your albums. It's an extra step. And they won't come up in as many searches - although obviously using keywords will still mean they show in challenge galleries.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:02 AM   #945
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
People can see them! But they have to go to your Member Gallery and then click on your albums. It's an extra step. And they won't come up in as many searches - although obviously using keywords will still mean they show in challenge galleries.
That's why it's best to not have the album. I was going to make an album but Lydia told me to use the main gallery & not separate them for the HYCCT challenges.
QFTD52
FS318
You Can Do It Challenge
HYCCT2013
Old 10-22-2013, 10:15 AM   #946
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
SCS Gallery Moderator

Challenges like HYCCT and DTGD are a bit different to people using albums for other challenges (like all the regular weekly ones, when the galleries are searchword-driven), because for them the the cards actually have to be in the fixed challenge gallery or they don't show in the reports that the tech team run and that the prize-drawings are based on. So they're a slightly different case in that respect.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:35 AM   #947
Proud Fan Club Member

Thanks for all the clarification
stamp300 likes this post.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:12 AM   #948
Crafting. Procrastinating. Caffeinating.

Quote:
I do not understand how you ladies can get the KISS technique to look so nice on your cards...(I am aware this is not the KISS thread but on the KISS thread they have been successful...on here it's where the encouragement is!)...

I've tried several ways...one was the back of a clear block inked then stamped a solid design onto it and you can't see the difference because the clear solid design leaked ink underneath it...

I tried another solid stamp image and tried to remove ink spots with another stamp and it look like strange blobs on the solid image.

Then I've tried another solid image with a small flower image to life off some of the ink but it doesn't show very well...but looks better than the other 2 images...so I used the small flower image and made it be a background image too...

Do you ever send a card that you aren't happy with just because it fulfills the obligation? I really would like to be successful at this technique but I think a person needs the right type of stamps...and I obviously don't have the right type OR...I'm just left-handed and that will be my excuse!
I had the best success with a light ink for my solid, a dark ink for my kissing and it was a very basic design, and mine practically have to get married at this point because I really had to press hard to get it to work.

As to do I ever send a card I'm not happy with, yes. Lots. As long as it's not shoddy work - tears, smudges, glue blobs, super crooked layers, etc - then sometimes you just have to walk away. No one else is going to know the look you were going for. And if my card is the last one in the basket I'll never know!

Gallery Blog

Relax, nothing is under control.
Cook22, patiak and jeenny2010 like this post.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:52 AM   #949
Stazon Splitcoast

Like Sabrina, I have had the best success kissing with either script or canvas. The most effect use is inking a solid image, such as a leaf, with a light ink and using a complementary dark ink on the bg stamp. I usually press my solid image onto the bg stamp as it is lying on the desk. I often do double duty then by stamping the bg stamp onto another piece of cs for another kissed look.
Had a chance to speak to a women's group about homeschooling this morning then had lunch with a friend. I'd love to stamp this afternoon, but we'll see what taxi and mom duties do with my time.

Stamping for my Sanity's Sake!

Romans 8:28-29
I finally have a blog! Click here to check it out.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:35 PM   #950
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Woo hoo! We just passed the 2500 card mark! That's a lot of happiness headed to Houston!

9 days left to get 1020+ cards in - how many will we have?

Off to share an AWESOME cookie recipe in the recipe box to celebrate!

My Gallery |My Blog | My Store
Love Splitcoast?
Help us love our volunteers by shopping at Amazon

scrapaholic007, dini, stamp300 and 4 others like this post.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:44 PM   #951
Swapper of the Month - September 2013

Sweet and sweeter!
Old 10-22-2013, 01:43 PM   #952
Stazon Splitcoast

That's so AWESOME with all the wonderful cards & participation. Whoo whoo!

I'm heading home from work to work on more cards.
QFTD52
FS318
You Can Do It Challenge
HYCCT2013
Old 10-22-2013, 01:49 PM   #953
Watercolor Wizard

Whew! I got caught up today by making six cards! I hope I don't get this far behind again! I'm exhausted!
scrapaholic007 and stamp300 like this post.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:51 PM   #954
Swapper of the Month - September 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzbysmom View Post
Whew! I got caught up today by making six cards! I hope I don't get this far behind again! I'm exhausted!
So awesome! I am a billion behind. I may send the kids to a kids night out on Friday just so I can catch up!
scrapaholic007 and Kathleen Curry like this post.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:42 PM   #955
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Send a message via AIM to kyann22

I'm pretty consistent at 4 behind. I hope to catch up at some point.

Today I had to visit my doctor to get a lump checked out. Next week will require a mammogram and ultrasound. The fear that it's causing is really stressing me out, but I'm determined to finish these challenges.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:59 PM   #956
Crimping Master

I made 6 cards yesterday 5 for the challenges & a anniversary card for my son & his wife,i was so hyper after doing them couldnt relax ,i have to the latest challenge today plus a belated birthday card for my cousin ,she just loves handmade cards.
I hope all goes well for you ,i remember when i found a lump how stressy i was , all was ok was beign cysts.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:55 PM   #957

I need to remake two cards, finish one and start on another one.

I usually have a lot of success with the kissing technique. I tried using the acrylic block as suggested in the challenge thread but I couldn't get a good impression at all. I only use rubber to rubber with dye inks as that is all I have.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:56 PM   #958
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyann22 View Post

Today I had to visit my doctor to get a lump checked out. Next week will require a mammogram and ultrasound. The fear that it's causing is really stressing me out, but I'm determined to finish these challenges.
Lots of positive thoughts coming your way! Hugs!
Old 10-22-2013, 05:06 PM   #959
Crimping Master

Thersa ,i put my script stamp on my craft mat inked it ,then just put my cottage garden stamp on top without ink ,sometimes i stamped it twice on the script stamp.
I am redoing 2 challenges ,plus the flower 1 today .
Everyone has done such gorgeous cards love looking at them,i am learning heaps just seeing what works in colours, stamps & techniques.i have over 30 cards in my box made some extra Santa cards for the kids.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:19 PM   #960
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyann22 View Post

Here is praying that it is nothing serious....the worry and waiting is so hard. Praying for you and hoping that the stamping can be a distraction.
I'm back to three behind and really tired and unmotivated tonight.

Stamping for my Sanity's Sake!

Romans 8:28-29
I finally have a blog! Click here to check it out.