Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-19-2013, 06:33 PM   #1  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,120 Likes on 503 Posts
Default Does Mixed Media have to be messy?

Just have read a few comments that made me want to encourage you, and I've shared this with a few friends already....

I wonder if high-profile mixed-media artists have given mixed media a stereotype that it has to be messy, splashy, and grungy...? It really doesn't.

I think probably this impression of mixed media is what has some people paralyzed. It doesn't have to change the way YOU do your own style. It may just mean taking a look at what you normally do, and taking it one step further.

Here are a few ideas:

--If you've already watercolored an image, add some shading with a pencil when it's dry.
--Take a colored image and add some dots or highlights with a white pen or white or metallic acrylic paint
--If you normally color with pencils, try putting down your base layer of color with markers, watercolor, inks or chalks.
--Mask your image and stamp some text or background images around it to create a background.
--If you normally sponge edges, maybe add some subtle stamping around the edges that peeks out just past the sponged details.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this!

Vincent Van Gogh

Last edited by dini; 04-20-2013 at 03:05 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by dini:
gaylestamps (05-24-2023), gobarb26 (05-18-2023), Teachybaby (05-17-2023)
Old 04-20-2013, 07:42 AM   #2  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

I could not agree more. I love bringing mixed media to my natural CAS inclinations. It adds depth to clean designs just as it does to what I think we all think of as traditional mixed media. While I love the messy, splashy designs, they don't come naturally to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2013, 03:19 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts

In my world, mixed media is always messy because that's the way I create with the tools I choose. That said, my stamping is messy, too, because that's how I roll. I've seen a LOT of people who enjoy mixed media, make wonderful things, with stuff they carry in a bag on a car ride. It's your perspective, your choice of toys, and the way you work with them that matter.

If you're a neat worker, your mixed media will likely be fairly neat and tidy, too. Don't let it scare you. If you put two things together that aren't the same (say ink and pencil) that's mixed media. You are mixing mediums, get it? This pool is big enough for everybody, at any level, and with any supplies. Just get happy!

(by the way - I am loving the fact that splitcoast branched out! I was mixed media when it wasn't cool.)
I Blog at The BunnyNest
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
MangieB (05-18-2023)
Old 04-20-2013, 04:58 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dina, Thanks for starting this thread. I need the little push.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2013, 06:35 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Thanks, Dini for asking the question.. Love the helpful hints that you so freely give... I love mixed media and although very new at it, I feel I need all the tips I can get... I am pretty messy in any crafty things I do but I do like to clean up after each item I do, so I have a fresh start with the new one....Funny I bought a color wheel a couple of years ago and I don't think I have ever used it.. I can see now where it will come in handy..
I own a paint apron that is a work of art all its own....lol... But I can't work without it...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2013, 06:59 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Terrific thread! I agree many stampers have the impression mixed media requires a messy look.

Many stampers are also asking for a good defination of mixed media...so they can use the term correctly. They ask if materials they use such as metals, fabrics, recyled newspaper, envelopes etc...count as a medium. Sorry I don't know the answer and have search the internet and can't find a defination. But it seems to me many of our techniques and challenges have already encouraged folks to dabble in Mixed Media without a specific name to it.

I would encourage folks who would like to try new combinations to join in the fun of the MIX challenges every Friday. The hosts are creating fabulous challenges and providing terrific tips on how to jump in for each week's activity.

My blog:http://farnorthdesigns.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2013, 07:42 PM   #7  

It sounds like you're talking about collage, which is a popular form of mixed media. I found this article interesting, so I'll truncate bits of it to answer your question, and whoever is interested can read the whole article here:

What's the Difference Between Collage and Mixed Media?
  • Collage is a subset of the larger mixed media genre.
  • The broadest definition of mixed media art is any sort of visual art which combines more than one material in its creation.
  • There are distinct differences between collage and mixed media art that are inherent in their definitions. All collage is mixed media, but not all mixed media is collage.
  • Rather than create a work in only one material such as oils for painting or clay for sculpture, a mixed media artist combines materials to make a visual work. Some famous combinations for mixed media art include metals and found items in sculpture as well as the blending of painting, cutting, and stamping techniques in altered books and greeting card making.
  • A collage is an act of assemblage in which series of photos or cuts of paper are glued to another piece of paper, cardboard, or canvas. Some collages may also include textured components such as ribbon, jewels, stickers, or other found objects. The crafting art of decoupage is also considered an offshoot of collage.

It seems like others are distinguishing "collage" from "mixed media collage" - where "mixed media collage" takes the collage from the assembled objects, papers, etc. and adds an art medium into the project. This canvas I saw earlier would be a great example... after preparing her canvas and assembling her photo and found objects, she added gesso and then created an amazing effect with sprays.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2013, 07:51 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Such helpful information! I love learning new stuff and growing as I try to put the new ideas into practice!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2013, 05:44 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Dini-thanks for the MIX Media definitions and descriptions-it is just what I have been looking for. But I never thought of checking e-bay for such details/I am going to make time to review the detailed descriptions. The collage link is fantastic...love seeing the steps nvolved in the creating the final canvas.

Thanks again!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2013, 02:22 PM   #10  
Watercolor Wizard

Thanks for starting this thread Dina, and thanks to all who will add their hints and tips. I am one who is *still* intimidated by mixed media because I see it as "messy." I guess that's because so many mixed media challenges involve wet media such as reinkers and paint. But I have come to understand that mixed media can be anything where two or more ways of adding color are used: stamped ink, sprayed medium, colored pencils, chalk, ep, Stickles, markers/Copics, etc.

I've been combining some of those on my cards all along, but didn't realize it was mixed media! So when I do a challenge, I try to step it up beyond my comfort zone, which usually means I get messy.

Collage, even just collage stamping, is something else that I am not comfortable with or good at.

Thanks again - I'm learning from the Mixability Challenges and I'm sure I'll learn stuff here too. It is my goal to participate in every Mixability Challenge, no matter how difficult I find them to be. I am always up for a true challenge.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2013, 10:12 PM   #11  

Just wanted to post a link to the tutorial I wrote for Flourishes, in case it might give someone the little push they need!

http://www.dinakowalcreative.com/201...g-started.html

Vincent Van Gogh

Last edited by dini; 05-17-2023 at 03:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by dini:
gaylestamps (05-24-2023), Renata Joyner (05-17-2023)
Old 04-21-2013, 10:23 PM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Love your work Dini, and thanks again for a great illustartion.. I really am encouraged by what you are doing here...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2013, 11:02 PM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

Great presentation on mixed media Dina! I appreciate that you article is so stamper
friendly! The introduction information combined with the tutorial makes it wonderful for the seasoned stamper wondering how mixed media works in the stamping world. Thanks for all your work in creating such an easily understandable description with the beautiful tutorial! I certainly will be sharing the link with other stampers to encourage them to join in the fun of broadening our playtime activities.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2013, 07:30 PM   #14  
Forum Fanatic

Thanks for posting this thread, Dina. It looks like I've also been doing a version of mixed media all along without realizing it! I hope to try some of the other suggestions as well.

My Gallery
and My Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2013, 07:43 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Most of us have already done mixed media without even realizing it! Once you branch out beyond an all paper card, its already mixed! I decided to do a mixed media canvas and while it included a greater range of products than a single card can usually include, nothing on it was new to me other than gesso! Combining ribbon, silk flowers, chipboard and beads makes a mixed media card and I do that all the time! There's a few who only work with stamps and paper but even they add gems, washi, sequins, veneers, brads, eyelets, twine, ribbon or something else other than just paper, ink and adhesive! We all rock already!
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2013, 10:31 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Especially Dina for all your definitions. I am sitting here scared to death to upload because I am not sure my card fits. You just "fixed" that for me. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2013, 04:25 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 379 Likes on 210 Posts

Now that I've read this thread I'm sure I'll be giving this challenge a try. I too have been 'afraid' of just the title!! Oh so wrong I was! My IC card fits the bill of let it drip so I'm going to add the keyword.
You ladies are the best! Thanks for all you do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2013, 04:40 AM   #18  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

YAY! You ladies rock!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2014, 01:53 AM   #19  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The tutorial in Flourishes was great! I have been looking at several in various places to get inspiration (and a boost to get with it!) Yours is very helpful. Thank you for sharing the link.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2014, 03:39 AM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Thank you for this! I must admit to thinking that Mixed Media was messy and that I would be defeated before I even started. I am a very neat cardmaker so wondered how I would approach the idea of Mixed Media. I feel so encouraged by reading these posts - and thank you especially Dini for the post over at Flourishes - I love the step-by-step details and your card is gorgeous!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2014, 10:35 AM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
Just wanted to post a link to the tutorial I wrote for Flourishes, in case it might give someone the little push they need!

http://www.dinakowalcreative.com/2013/05/mixed-media-getting-started.html
I just wanted to thank you for posting this article! It's the perfect answer to "how do I start"?

Last edited by dini; 05-31-2021 at 06:37 PM.. Reason: updated link
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2016, 03:37 AM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Host
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,301 Likes on 936 Posts

Thank you for this forum ad I really didn't know what mixed media was and I now can see I've been using some elements. I so want to take up as many challenges as possible so will give this a go. Thank you. Happy weekend
Monthly: MMJ Challenge….
get inky and have fun
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2023, 12:44 AM   #23  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

I'm getting a "do not proceed, site insecure warning" when trying to follow the link to the old tutorial for Flourishes, post #11. Since they are long gone, is there any chance it could be attached as a PDF to this thread?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2023, 03:32 AM   #24  

I updated the link - thankfully I had published it on my blog as well.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
Cook22 (05-17-2023)
Old 05-17-2023, 06:01 AM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Little did I know the mesh, ribbons, buttons, gems, leather, wood, cord, metal pieces, paint, ink, gesso I add to my pieces make it mixed media. I'm not much of a collage person, so thought the two were the same. Thanks for all the info.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2023, 12:23 PM   #26  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 656 Likes on 405 Posts

Considering this card is ten years old, it still looks fantastic!

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
I updated the link - thankfully I had published it on my blog as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2023, 03:47 AM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 456 Likes on 341 Posts

Dina, thanks for all of this. As a mostly CAS card maker, I find mixed media really hard to do. Your explanations (and your Flourishes tutorial you linked to) will help a lot as I want to become more comfortable with mixed media.

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes