Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-22-2013, 05:41 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Irritated with JoAnn'a

I went shopping at JoAnn's today and found a Disney stamp set called "Pixie Pals" that had a few different fairies. It had a clearance sticker marked $3.97 so I grabbed it for my friends little girl.

Well, I got to the checkout and the cashier told me she couldn't sell it to me! Her reason was that "it wasn't in their inventory so it couldn't be scanned." I asked if there was another way for her to enter the price and she flat out said no. She completely refused to sell me the stamp set!

I have never had this happen. At other stores, they are always more than willing to enter the numbers/price by hand if an item doesn't scan. I sent an email to the company when I came home and am waiting to hear back which they said could take up to 48 hours.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2013, 06:57 PM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

What a frustrating experience! Sounds like she didn't know what she was doing. I wonder what she would have said if you had asked for a manager. Joanne's here has the reputation for putting sale posters on a shelf, then at the checkout they say that particular item is not on sale, even though it's the same company on the poster.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2013, 06:58 PM   #3  
Inking Addict

I understand you! Any problem I have almost always occurs with sale items. Most of the time it's with Michaels and Jo Ann.

The best customer service I have ever recieved is at AC Moore. They are always very nice! Love shopping there!

God Bless!
God Bless! Philippians 4:13
You can't spell Earth without "ART" well you can, but then it's just "EH. My (very small) Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2013, 06:59 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

you should have asked for a manager. I work in customer service and she should have tried to resolve the issue. Plus don't they all wear those head phones where they can call each other...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2013, 07:03 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jessthenurseView Post
I went shopping at JoAnn's today and found a Disney stamp set called "Pixie Pals" that had a few different fairies. It had a clearance sticker marked $3.97 so I grabbed it for my friends little girl.

Well, I got to the checkout and the cashier told me she couldn't sell it to me! Her reason was that "it wasn't in their inventory so it couldn't be scanned." I asked if there was another way for her to enter the price and she flat out said no. She completely refused to sell me the stamp set!

I have never had this happen. At other stores, they are always more than willing to enter the numbers/price by hand if an item doesn't scan. I sent an email to the company when I came home and am waiting to hear back which they said could take up to 48 hours.
I am not by nature a confrontational person, except in situations like this. I would have politely asked to speak to the manager, and then stated my case in a calm manner. It is really not right for them to have merchandise on display that they refuse to sell.

I never take a cashier or clerk's word on something like this. Half the time, they have not been told what the policy really is, or many times if it means a little trouble for them to process it, they just say no.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2013, 09:30 AM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

I've only been stamping since January of 2012, but I've had three VERY negative experiences with our local Joanne's, even with their abrupt manager, that I refuse to set foot in the store ever again. From this thread and others, Joanne's corporate needs to overhaul their customer service or, or better yet, implement one. They probably hire off the street with no training other than how to operate the cash register.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2013, 11:42 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Received 264 Likes on 109 Posts

Kathyln47, you should contact Joann's corporate headquarters. Contact Us : Shop | Joann.com
They need to know that one of their stores is putting forth a negative impression. I am sure the regional representative in your area will drop by to check on things. Any company that large is bound to have some bad apples in the basket, and the only way they know who they are is if someone tells them. Forge ahead!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2013, 11:59 AM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

I suspect she decided she wanted that set for herself!! LOL....but seriously, I would have asked for a manager. Judging by other responses here that might not have helped much but at least you know you tried. So sorry this happened.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2013, 12:51 PM   #9  
Mad Swapper

The sad part is, the manager was standing right beside the cashier when she told me that she couldn't sell me the item.

I did contact JoAnn's through their website and received a stock-answer response.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2013, 01:52 PM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alice in MdView Post
Kathyln47, you should contact Joann's corporate headquarters. Contact Us : Shop | Joann.com
They need to know that one of their stores is putting forth a negative impression. I am sure the regional representative in your area will drop by to check on things. Any company that large is bound to have some bad apples in the basket, and the only way they know who they are is if someone tells them. Forge ahead!
I did. No one ever got back with me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2013, 03:26 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

So if it wasn't in their inventory, then they don't own it. I think I would have asked to see it, claimed possession is 9/10ths of the law and told them it was now in my inventory. Well I would have done that in the scenario in my head after leaving the store fuming mad.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2013, 03:58 PM   #12  
Glitter Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't shop at JoAnn's anymore. There's nothing they have that's worth the bother of dealing with them (this includes their stores and their corporate customer service).

There's a whole world wide web out there (and multiple Michales/AC Moore/Hobby Lobby/local scrapbooking stores a short drive from me). No reason to put up with shoddy treatment from any one retailer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2013, 05:21 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You know, after reading all the comments, I believe it has to be a regional thing, or store by store, with Joanns, Michaels, and many other big box stores.

There is a new Joann Superstore that opened near me. The management and all the clerks couldn't be nicer or more helpful. I have had them ask if I had a coupon, and when I said no, pick up one from under the counter and scan it for my item.

Sorry for everyone's bad experiences, but I do believe it depends on the individual stores as to how you are treated.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2013, 05:41 AM   #14  
Inking Addict

It seems you're right buggainok. It must just be store by store.

You know my favorite place to shop (2hrs. away :() is Archivers! They are all SO friendly and They Know What They're Doing!
It's kind of annoying at big box stores, because you don't have to like (or do) any kind of papercrafting to work there. I really don't like asking people in Michaels, Jo Ann, etc. if they have a certain item, because they don't even know what it is!

However, at Archivers when I was buying some Gamsol the woman checking me out took time to tell me how to use it (even down to the details of buying blending stumps)! She even said if I had any problems to call them and they would be happy to answer questions and help. Now that's a store whose employees know about cardmaking/scrapbooking/papercrafting in general.

Anyway, thats more about why I like small "scrapbooking" stores better than big box craft stores.
However, I'll continue to shop at big box stores as that's all I have within a 30min. drive away.

God Bless!
God Bless! Philippians 4:13
You can't spell Earth without "ART" well you can, but then it's just "EH. My (very small) Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2013, 08:14 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Obviously that clerk didnt want to get paid.. sales = payroll. I hate to say it, but I wonder if she wanted it for herself so she tricked you. Ive seen it happen. You should ha e asked for the manager. If its got a price tag and on a shelf its for sale! Ive been told by Joannes if you see it online at any store they'll price compare too. Ive done it for punches and Cricut cartridges!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2013, 11:49 AM   #16  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I was in M's once and got the last stamp of a brand that was in the store. Gal said I can sell it to you for a penny as I can't give it away. She then said go look for more and I did. 2 stamps for a penny each. Woo hoo!
Off topic but Food Lion manager told me to just buy any brand of eggs when I told him organic has expired 3 days ago. I want organic not another brand. This is an ongoing problem with them not having organic eggs on the day they said would be in. And having expired eggs still on shelf. I put call into corporate office haven't heard back. There isn't another store to go to. I'd have to drive 40 min into NC.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2013, 04:11 PM   #17  
Crimping Master

Yep, one time, I got two pillar candles for a penny apiece in Michael's........
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2013, 04:52 PM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

Sorry about your negative experiences. I must be lucky, the Joanne's near me are very accommodating (so far anyway!). I also shop J's online and the one problem I had was handled completely to my satisfaction.

http://camanocardmaker.wordpress.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2013, 11:16 AM   #19  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by jessthenurseView Post

I'm the last person you'd ever catch stealing anything from a store but my first logical thought was..."well if it isn't in your inventory, you won't mind if i walk out the door with it!!" rofl I can't stand illogical, unhelpful people who refuse to do something basic like call a manager to ask "what do i do?"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2013, 06:42 PM   #20  
Kookie Creator

Sorry to hear that. I have one of the bigger nicest JoAnns near my house and their staff is really good. I have been to smaller less good stores with more frustrating staff. Sounds like the staff was untrained and was told if they can't ring it up, don't sell it.

Sad.

Holley

New project everyday!
Holley's Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2013, 02:36 PM   #21  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

I just visited a JoAnn's that just opened in March. I was very disappointed. Not in the staff. They were nice, however the store does not carry much in the way for cardmakers. A few stamp sets (maybe 4) some paper, a few punches, cricut cartridges (I don't have a cricut) and a few paper packs. Hardly anything else I was interested in. If you want fabric or sewing supplies, I'd say this is the store for you, but if you're a cardmaker, I'd advise looking elsewhere....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2013, 03:02 PM   #22  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

my first thought was that she wanted it also. :(
did you check on line to see if they have it there?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2013, 03:04 PM   #23  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

well, well, well
pixie pals : Shop | Joann.com
not the same price though
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2013, 03:05 PM   #24  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

so someone got it online and returned it to the store, the site says online only, so the store didn't really own it, but they were clearing it out manually.
the manager should have known what to do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2013, 04:22 PM   #25  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I was completely fed up with them today. I got some SU things for jewelry during the free shipping weekend. So I went into J's today to get some split rings. They apparently had a bunch of jewelry items on clearance and there were NONE except for brightly colored or huge ones. There were at least a dozen empty pegs, all labeled split rings! I walked out empty handed as usual.

I have 3 more local stores I can try-it's a pain with out town being at end of the retail line, our stores will clear out stuff then take forever to restock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2013, 05:33 PM   #26  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CartermrcView Post
I was completely fed up with them today. I got some SU things for jewelry during the free shipping weekend. So I went into J's today to get some split rings. They apparently had a bunch of jewelry items on clearance and there were NONE except for brightly colored or huge ones. There were at least a dozen empty pegs, all labeled split rings! I walked out empty handed as usual.

I have 3 more local stores I can try-it's a pain with out town being at end of the retail line, our stores will clear out stuff then take forever to restock.
Have you checked out Artbeads.com? Free shipping on orders over $10 or $1.99 on all orders under $10, and orders ship within 24 hours. You could get some good split rings and a couple clasps/toggles, and get it within a few days for free!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2013, 10:20 AM   #27  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Have you checked out Artbeads.com?
Thanks for the link! Wow, who knew there were so many split ring options! There's also Shipwreck Beads up in Washington, but I don't know what their shipping policy is.

I should find what I need at my local bead shop though, they focus on jewelry making and have plenty of findings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2013, 01:28 PM   #28  
Hardware Hotshot

you can always send a complaint to the 3B';s 'better business bureau' they could have done a search also online to give you the price. If they don't respond back to the complaint at the 'better business bureau' it is a mark against their company. Maybe, they would send you a set, since it is online.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuGView Post
well, well, well
pixie pals*: Shop | Joann.com
not the same price though

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2013, 03:56 PM   #29  
Gabfest Goddess

Not sure how they even stay in business. At the smaller ones the selection is poor, their customer service is iffy at best, and then they have really gotten tight with what you can use the coupons on. I RARELY go there....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2013, 03:59 PM   #30  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by CluelesslyCreativeView Post
It seems you're right buggainok. It must just be store by store.

You know my favorite place to shop (2hrs. away :() is Archivers! They are all SO friendly and They Know What They're Doing!
It's kind of annoying at big box stores, because you don't have to like (or do) any kind of papercrafting to work there. I really don't like asking people in Michaels, Jo Ann, etc. if they have a certain item, because they don't even know what it is!

However, at Archivers when I was buying some Gamsol the woman checking me out took time to tell me how to use it (even down to the details of buying blending stumps)! She even said if I had any problems to call them and they would be happy to answer questions and help. Now that's a store whose employees know about cardmaking/scrapbooking/papercrafting in general.

Anyway, thats more about why I like small "scrapbooking" stores better than big box craft stores.
However, I'll continue to shop at big box stores as that's all I have within a 30min. drive away.

God Bless!
I KNOW! I LOVE Archiver's. There are 3 about 35-40 min. from me, and I am VERY thankful that they are that far away most of the time .... I know I'd spend way too much. Best thing for me when I go is to have my teen daughter with me... she hates going so I make my trips quick... and therefore, cheaper! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2013, 10:36 AM   #31  
Cardstock Collector

The last time I went to joannes was indeed my very last time, never again! I waited in line for 15+ minutes, then when it was my turn to check out the girl had no idea how to get my coupon to work right she told me his never has happened to her before. The manager was next to her fiddling around ignoring the fact that his employee was having an issue and that the line was growing increasingly long. The girl was afraid to ask for any help from him, I could tell her didn't care anyhow, so I asked the manager to help her and he shrugged his shoulders and said "shell figure it out" *gasp* (keep in mind, there was probably 20 people in line at this point and 2 checkers) he then turned around and walked out the front door. I waited a few more minutes and she still couldn't figure it out (the checker had a disability and she also had a working dog next to her as she worked, just another reason why the manager should have stepped in) i was shocked this "manager" had just walked off. So I ended up leaving the things I wanted to buy behind and left the store. When I walked outside I see the manager in front smoking his cigarette with out a care in the world. Well he just walked out on the wrong person, and I let him have it he got an earful and a half with me, how dare he walk out on his employee, let alone a stor full of shoppers standing in line. So after I told him what I needed to I had to leave (fast) I didnt want the police to come lol. Anyhow, they don't care about their customers and I don't care about them, I will go without before I spend $1 in that chain. I work hard for my money and I will only spend it in places where they work hard for me. I am a business owner and I work personally hands on with my customers and I love each and everyone of them, because without them I don't succeed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2013, 05:49 PM   #32  
Kookie Creator

It's too bad so many have had negative experiences with JoAnn's, because I've had very good ones with the people in our local store. I agree that it must be store by store. The poor ones need to get their act together though or the whole chain suffers. One thing I do notice is that I don't often use my percent off coupons there because the things I want are almost always somewhat on sale.

STYZROCKSME: Funny your remark about Food Lion... I just read on the net today that it's on the list of 12 worst supermarkets.
Reply With Quote Likes