Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-19-2013, 05:10 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lonely

yep, there it is....I said it. I use to craft with some gals a long time ago, I really enjoyed it. Well, I am the only one left who still loves it on a daily basis. I would give anything to find others who love to paper craft also.

I really don't like going To parties where paper supplies are sold. I don't like the pressure to buy. I do however, buy from all of them.

I would even love friends by email, or phone, heck, my sister started to make cards, and we would use our iPads and call each other when we were in our craft rooms...we would visit and work...we loved this because we could see each others progress....of course....she became boarded with crafting and on to something else...

So friends, really don't have to live in the same city any more...

Do you craft by yourself? Do you have crafting buddies?

How would you go about finding folks who do?

Lonely In My neck of the world..

Last edited by ladycne; 03-19-2013 at 05:14 AM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2013, 07:31 AM   #2  
Embossing Fanatic

I understand the feeling. I am so lonely right now its killing me. My mom just went into a nursing home last month and I miss her terribly. We would sit in the dining room on our computers and not talk much but at least she was here. Now I'm alone all day. I don't have any friends that I'm close to. Not much of a social bug I guess but I sure would like some friends even email friends would be great. Or a pen pal that I can swap cards back and forth with. That would be fun.
I haven't got my stamping stuff out in quite some time. I like to be able to show someone what I made and I can't take pictures and put them online like I would like to, my pics just don't come out good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2013, 08:27 AM   #3  
Glitter Queen

Hi I know you feel. My email is [email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2013, 08:37 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

I totally understand - I enjoy crafting so much more in a group, but also hate the selling (even though I was a demo for 8 years!) There are 2 things I do, first, I have a card club at my house once a month - I prepare the cards and everyone comes and makes them - I do charge a fee to cover supplies and prep time though. The second is a have a crafting friend who lives a couple of hours away, so we only get together a few times a year to craft. However, we sometimes set a time when we are both available to craft and "meet up" on line - we use instant messages to chat back and forth and come up with challenges - use a specific color, technique, type of stamp, etc. We can then take pics and share our creations. Not as good as in person, but it helps. I'd be happy to have more friends to craft with on line too - right now I am working on setting up my craft room as we just moved, but I hope to be ready to craft again soon! Maybe we can form a lonely crafters group

My blog: Tails in the stamp room

Last edited by jkstampin; 03-19-2013 at 08:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2013, 08:48 AM   #5  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

A few times a few of us have done Google Hangouts while we crafted - like during our Virtual Stamp nights - and those are a blast! Let me know if you do an online craftup

PS - I looked at your blog - your work is beautiful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2013, 09:03 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Would a blog group help you feel more connected, do you think? There are usually groups looking for new members in this bit of the forum. The idea is that members of the group help to support each other in their crafting by visiting each other's blogs regularly and leaving comments. You can say if you want particular help with something on a project, constructive criticism or whatever. Groups tends to be a manageable size so you're not committing yourself to visiting 50 blogs or something!

I don't know anybody who stamps in real life either! I do have a group of online crafty buddies here in the UK though and it is nice to have others who know exactly what you mean if you get excited about a new ink colour or stamps from a new maker or something!

Good luck finding some people to hook up with.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2013, 09:58 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

If you prefer to craft with others in person instead of virtually, you can try using meetups.com to search for a crafting group in your area.

Mary Ann

~~ My slowly growing gallery ~~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2013, 10:11 AM   #8  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I totally understand feeling lonely. None of my friends likes stamping & making cards like I do so I try to keep myself busy with my blog & challenge blog which helps and of course I have my online friends.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2013, 10:29 AM   #9  
Embossing Fanatic

Hi Robin
I get that way too, I'm in Northern California
You're very talented - love the stuff on your bloq
my email is [email protected]

Diana
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2013, 12:25 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Anything going on with crafting at your local library? Ours is pretty good with things like this or maybe start a group? Our library has a special room for meetings that I don't think there is a charge. Could be worth searching out and maybe there are others in your area looking as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2013, 02:21 PM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My neice and I use Oovoo so that we can craft together. We are at opposite sides of the country and this really helps. We like Oovoo since you can have more than one person on the video chat at a time, so we often "get together" with my mom and brother as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2013, 02:53 PM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Online isn't the same as in person, and your style is different, BUT take a look at Jim the Gentleman Crafter's blog. He's been on many design teams including for Graphic 45, Tim Holtz (he did stuff for CHA last winter), uses Dylusions, etc (if you saw the school bus on a CHA video he'd done that last fall for his blog). He builds things, does tags, art journals. You just never know what he is going to do.

In addition to the blog posts he has been ustreaming live on Tuesday evenings for several hours as he crafts. I think he's quite talented and funny, it's like being with a long time friend. It's free, you just enter the site and can come and go as you want.

He tells stories as he works, there is a lot of laughter. If he messes up he laughs and tells on himself. Anyone who is watching can comment on the type in chat area and he will often respond to that. Often it's not even about the project, it might be about what folks are eating for dinner or whatever strikes their fancy. Maybe having that running as you craft might feel less lonely. They are recorded so you could run it at a later time.

I'm sure there are others who have similar things going on but I'm just not familiar with them.

He's ustreaming tonight. He's finishing an organizer he started last week, covering the box, embellishments, etc. You can read about it (and see a picture of it from last week's video) on his blog The Gentleman Crafter there is a link to the ustream. He's starting at 7pm central time (he says standard so I don't know if they went to daylight savings or not where he is in Texas).

Just a thought.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2013, 03:06 PM   #13  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I found a group of Scrapper/stampers through a Meet up group. Where I live there are some scrapper/stampers! But they were looking for others to join their Buyers clubs.

I wasn't looking for that. I wanted someone to stamp with. Somewhere I could bring my own stamping stuff. and do my own thing.

I finally found a Awesome group of ladies. We get together at least once a month. And go to retreats together. Hang out just because we want too.

I've built some really special friendships with these ladies.

Why not try it yourself. Joining Meet up is Free.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2013, 05:00 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

I stamp alone too - but I like it. I recently was together with several local stampers at an event at our library, and we did talk about getting together sometime which I think will be fun.

Are there any stamping/scrapping stores near you? I know of some that have tables set up and open time for people to just come in and work on their projects. That would be a good way to meet others who share your hobby. Even if you're a stamper and they're scrappers, you still have a lot in common and can enjoy each other's company.

I hope you and others find stamping companions!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2013, 05:26 PM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to alicaz

another lonely stamper here... I don't know any stampers close by and am limited by not driving.. so can't go to any groups that are far..
I'm in Canada, but would love to have an online friend
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2013, 07:06 PM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

Hi Robin, I moved to a different city a few years ago so all my friends and family live over two hours away, but even if I lived closer to them I'm the only one addicted to paper crafting and shopping LOL ;) I joined a meetup group once, but it was all about selling/buying and I also did not enjoy the pressure, plus it was difficult to find daycare in the evenings. I entertain myself with swaps, youtube and SCS. Let me know if you would like to do a one on one swap. I live in Central Valley Calif. Its always so fun to send and receive happy mail
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2013, 08:08 PM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I craft alone but I like it that way even though it would be nice to have someone to go to Stamp shows with. No one I know is into it like I am. I follow blogs I like and watch videos to learn and come here to connect with fanatic's uh I mean hobbyists like me. :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2013, 08:19 PM   #18  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanstamping2View Post
I found a group of Scrapper/stampers through a Meet up group. Where I live there are some scrapper/stampers! But they were looking for others to join their Buyers clubs.

I wasn't looking for that. I wanted someone to stamp with. Somewhere I could bring my own stamping stuff. and do my own thing.
Don't rule out all demonstrators/consultants/direct sales reps for SU/CTMH/etc. as wanting just buyers though! I craft most frequently with a large group organized by a CTMH consultant (and many others there are CTMH - I'm the only SU demo though!). I never feel pressured to buy, and she lets us play with her toys as part of our crop costs ($10 for 12+ hours usually). There are also crops organized by demos at a local church where they encourage donations to the food pantry, but you don't have to buy their products. They may be on hand for people that want to order, but it's not run like a workshop and it's a good way to meet lots of other people (and find new ideas!).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2013, 08:43 PM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

I was so embarrassed to write that...I had been feeling that way for some time! Bless all of you! I just got off work, so I can't wait to go to each of these posts and write you, or do all the things you have suggested, all are so wonderful! Thank you for making my day! I can't wait to get back to this when I am not so pooped. Bless each and everyone of you!

I don't feel so alone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2013, 09:37 PM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

Now that's an Idea. I have had people ask if I taught classes. I don't want to sell anything. On occasion, someone will come over, I usually tell them don't bring anything, because they never know what they want to do...so they usually do what I suggest, and I usually have everything. I have no idea, what to charge to recoop cost...and I know, they feel bad when I tell them don't worry about it. I just LOVE the company. I have a nice craft room where 3 or 4 can come. What do you usually charge? I bet I could do that one a month or every other month. I could at least try! I love the idea of a lonely crafters club! ha! I would be on that list!

Well I put this on the wrong place.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2013, 09:43 PM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

`hum, I am not sure what a google hangout is...I do have a sister out of town, before she lost interest, we would have so much fun, doing WebEX or our ipads (we could see each other and talk while our hands were busy creating....once we had 2 or three others. I thought this might be a great thing to do...maybe I should blog it and see who shows up?

What was so neat about it, is we could see what the other was working on..it was almost like we were in the same room!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2013, 09:45 PM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

I blog, and that is fun...I think I am looking for actually talking to someone! with all these great idea, I am starting to think that I might setup a webex to craft with people....

I think I am going to give that a shot!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2013, 09:51 PM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

Well, I just figured out that when I was replying to each one...it put them all at the bottom. HA I am giving up on that one.

All these ideas are soooooooooooo good. I am going to try the web ex or check into Oovoo that sounds pretty much like webex, maybe it's easier. Also, I am going to try the senior center and see if they do any paper crafts there and check into the library. I might try the one idea of doing a craft night at my house, I have had people ask me for that before, so, maybe I will try and figure out how to cover my costs. would really like to discuss that further with those of you, who do that and do not sell a product (I don't really want to sell anything). Ok...last post, if I knew how to delete those others, I would...maybe I will figure it out in a bit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2013, 10:41 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi Robin. I too have been lonely but for my sweet hubby who is gone for work 5 days a week for 52 weeks of the year. I recently rescued the cutest little dog (chiweenie) and that has helped so much. I am so fortunate to have 2 sisters and many friends to stamp with. I wish you were near so we could stamp together. I sincerely hope you can find a few ladies to share your hobby with. A day can slip by so quickly when you are with someone just creating,
Blessings
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2013, 01:24 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you for posting this. It gave me the push I needed to make plans to find some human beings to craft with...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2013, 04:06 AM   #26  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, so many of us lone wolves out there!! I craft alone too :( Unfortunately, I do most things alone. I am in a small town and my children are just getting ready to fly the coop and live on their own. Some days I am in my craft room for hours, other days I go in and make a card, clean up and sit at the TV. You probably have more emails now than you know what to do with, but if you want another "pen pal" or virtual crafting buddy... [email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2013, 05:26 AM   #27  
Cardstock Collector

I stamp alone. I started in 1997 hoping my daughter and daughter-in-law would stamp with me, but they're too busy with their families. I do best alone since I think--then stamp--then think some more--projects can take me days. I get impatient at SU parties; too much waiting, not enough creating and learning. I have a very small family and small circle of friends, so limited opportunities to create. I have discovered minibooks, which are a great creative outlet and great way to use up supplies. I don't have a blog or Facebook account, but do follow many blogs and haunt them for ideas and techniques.

What I would really love are e-mail friends to both share my creations, and give me critical input--you know, that feeling your project needs something more but you have no idea what. Or you know something is wrong, but don't have any idea what. Or just someone to share with.

Thanks to Joan B on Creating White Spaces for leading me to this topic.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2013, 06:46 AM   #28  
Stampin' Fool

I do teach classes so my ladies can hang out but I do craft along @ home. I have a square / small dinning table as my crafting desk and a bed in the room so I can't really invite anyone to craft w/ me. So I know your pain.... would love to do that as well but it just sucks to have to bring all your supplies!
Card for a Cause / RMH Swap
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2013, 07:03 AM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know exactly how you feel. I stamp and craft alone too.
Everything you said is just so true.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2013, 07:32 AM   #30  
Glitter Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to marcineluke

I craft alone too.
I'm 72 and have no one to talk to except my husband.
I do try to send out cards to people like my sisters(who lives in different states)
for their birthdays. My children 6 are all so busy and they 3 of them live far away from us. Also this winter I made them blankets.
It would be nice to have a close friend.
My crafting is always a work in progress.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2013, 07:54 AM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

for those looking for local crafting friends. here on SCS go to the get it get together thread. post on any current thread in your area. introduce yourself. name and town.
you will find many to craft with. i now travel all over the state. we get together in small casual groups. or large gatherings. so much fun. check it out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2013, 08:03 AM   #32  
Embossing Fanatic

Wow, so many lonely hearts out there. Its nice to know I'm not alone in my feelings.I really appreciate all the pms that were sent to me and am going to try and respond to all of them but it may take some time. That I have plenty of, now just need to get some stamps. At least now I have a reason to get out my stamps. Before I just packed my cards in a box and put them away. Had no one to send them to. Thank you everyone for brightening my day. God Bless.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2013, 09:51 AM   #33  
Swapper of the Month February 2013

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
Anything going on with crafting at your local library? Ours is pretty good with things like this or maybe start a group? Our library has a special room for meetings that I don't think there is a charge. Could be worth searching out and maybe there are others in your area looking as well.
This is such a great idea!!!! Might have to look into doing this in my neck of the woods.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2013, 12:13 PM   #34  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

Another lonely stamper checking in!

When I lived in FL, I had an awesome stamping friend! I would go to her house every Monday evening & we would spend about 3 hours laughing, talking, and creating the most beautiful cards. She is extremely talented and made me see how easy it is to create even the most elaborate card.

Since I moved away from FL, I have been stamping by myself. I would love to find at least one person in this beautiful coastal town to stamp with. I miss the camaraderie I had with my stamping friend in FL.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2013, 12:56 PM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I used to make cards alone. I wanted a stamping buddy. It was expensive ($5 a class, then progressed to $8/class, then eventually $10/class) - I went to one demo's classes for two or so years... paid for the classes, made the cards... BUT I did not go for the cards or to learn anything. I went specifically to get a stamping buddy. After a while, I got to know one lady really well, and we became friendly enough so that now every week that I can, I go to her house to stamp. Hurray! Now whenever we meet we just work on whatever we want, and stamp away. It was totally worth it!!

edited to add: Just wanted to clarify that ALL the ladies at the classes were very nice and pleasant; it just took work to find someone whose schedule fit mine, whose availability fit mine, etc. Lots of them were just too busy - kids, school, AND a job, etc. Also, I wanted someone not so far away (less than a half-hour drive for example).

Last edited by SophieLaFontaine; 03-20-2013 at 01:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2013, 06:16 PM   #36  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroncoFan60View Post
I craft alone but I like it that way even though it would be nice to have someone to go to Stamp shows with. No one I know is into it like I am. I follow blogs I like and watch videos to learn and come here to connect with fanatic's uh I mean hobbyists like me. :p
Are you by any chance close enough to go to the Stamp Scrap Art Tour in Winston Salem, NC? Some of my stamp group and I go every year. We'd be happy to meet you. Unfortunately, that's the only show we get to go to. :(
Dea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2013, 06:49 PM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

Have you checked out the sub-forum called Get it Together? There are quite a few locations listed already, or you could start a new one!

By the way, I am a big fan of challenges. I do a lot that are listed on various blogs, but I feel I have made a lot of (cyber) friends here on SCS through various challenges. If you start by selecting one or two, you will find many of the same participants each week. When you comment on each other's cards you begin to feel connected. I realize this is not the same as getting together in person, but it is another way to connect. I have rarely been able to stamp with others, but for me this is a satisfactory replacement.

My blog: http://cardsbydorothy.blogspot.com/

Last edited by etsdas; 03-20-2013 at 06:56 PM.. Reason: added another idea.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2013, 06:51 PM   #38  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I stamp alone too. I actually enjoy it for the most part.

I went with some friends to a weekend retreat that was actually hosted by my good friend who is a CM consultant, but I told her I was bringing my stamping stuff. She was just thrilled to have me along. She was the only woman I knew, and I have come away with some new friends. I did really enjoy the social aspect (and there was a LOT of laughter, which is weird when you do it by yourself at home). She had her stuff set up, but she is not a hard seller. Perfect for me.

I have a group of friends who scrap, and we get together quarterly at each person's house. I stamp instead (I used to scrap, long story, will do it again someday).

I also put together card ideas and have my 3 crafty friends come over. I did one at Christmas and we made a total of 10 cards, 3 of each style + 1 "special" one that was more complicated. I gave them the envelopes to go with their cards, and they all said that I should charge, because they knew that there was cost involved. After we all discussed what kinds of cards they would like to have in their stash (manly, birthday, and sympathy), I have come up with another set of projects and will charge $10 per person. I have a TON of paper, many ideas, and am happy to share.

Never fear, for you are never alone.

My avatar is my beloved corgi, Cora
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2013, 08:31 PM   #39  
Matboard Maniac

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by StamperDeaView Post
Are you by any chance close enough to go to the Stamp Scrap Art Tour in Winston Salem, NC? Some of my stamp group and I go every year. We'd be happy to meet you. Unfortunately, that's the only show we get to go to. :(
Dea
Thanks for asking to join but I live in Plano,Tx and the Mesquite show is the only one I get to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2013, 11:36 PM   #40  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I craft alone now. My husband is in the Air Force so we move a lot. I found other ladies to craft with at our last two assignments. One group was with my church. The other group was with a Stampin' Up Demo who organized a craft night at her church one night a month. I really enjoyed doing busy work (cutting out flowers, stamping a bunch of cards with the same design, mounting stamps) while chatting with crafting friends. I really miss the company. Best wishes to you.
Reply With Quote Likes