Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 08:58 PM   #2121
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderstandBlue View Post
That's our affiliate link to Amazon - by landing page you mean Amazon right? If you purchase something within 24 hours of clicking that link, we get a small affiliate fee that we use to buy our volunteers Christmas gifts. They volunteer all year to keep this running like a top and we love them.

We appreciate you!
that's a good thing.

see you all tomorrow.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 11-16-2012, 09:00 PM   #2122
Crafting. Procrastinating. Caffeinating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNacho View Post
I was watching the Colbert Report when he was reporting on PETA calling fish "kittens of the sea" in order to convince people not to eat them. One of his jokes was that owls would now be called sky nachos. It struck me as hilarious right at the moment that I was in need of a user name when filling out my splitcoast registration.
That is the best "how I chose my username" story ever.

Gallery Blog

Relax, nothing is under control.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:18 PM   #2123
Gallery Gazer

Thanks, Lydia, I buy quite a bit from Amazon, so I'll definitely start from your link from now on!
DTGD12, DTGD14, HYCCT12, HYCCT13, HYCCT14, Love Fest 2013, Love Fest 2014
CAS and CC guest designer
Old 11-16-2012, 09:21 PM   #2124
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Quote:
Oh my gosh - look what I just got from MD Anderson!!!

This is Francine (their senior mail clerk) and Elke - this whole cart is full of Splitcoast cards!!
Oh that is so very cool

It must be such fun to open all those boxes and get to hold all our cards in person ( kwim?) I think that's what I love most about this thread... the warm fuzzies continue.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:24 PM   #2125
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

today was a very long day. ( hubs is still not home again yet. ) had to pick up and deliver employees at an out of town job site last night on and off and left the last round at 12:30 and was not home till 3:30 so we were up again at 6 and Im (this close) holds up fingers. to just flopping over. I want to badly to have an second wind to go make just a few more Christmas things for the booth but, that is not going to happen.

posted some ( flashed washed out ) mug shots of the booth on the blog just a bit ago if anyone's curious.

one more day, one more day ( good thing its once a year ) (this helps subsidize the cards I donate and the stamps that follow me home during the year )

and Congratulations to all of today's winners
<---- color me green over the spellbinders.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:24 AM   #2126
Rubber Obsessor

Busy today here. In case I'm starting to catch on to how this whole thing works:

2 of us in the house since kids are away for the weekend
16 years old is DS who is living it up in Hamburg with friends
100 new gray hairs on my head because of the above

Happy Weekend.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:29 AM   #2127
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
I've heard from Lydia! Just working away.

Who are our next goodies from anyway??

Could it be..... Flonz Craft?

If you haven't shopped here before you are going to FREAK at the pure awesomeness.

Rubber and Clear Stamps Vintage Retro Modern
Geez... never knew there was a Flonz out there. Thanks (not) for introducing me. Even love their logo...
Old 11-17-2012, 05:11 AM   #2128
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBgreendawn View Post

posted some ( flashed washed out ) mug shots of the booth on the blog just a bit ago if anyone's curious.
Your booth looks GREAT! I love the vintage suitcases and stands as well as the cool ladder for your display. Very eye-catching! I have a friend coming over today to work on some ornaments and tags to sell. Both the shops where I'm selling cards are having Christmas open houses so I'm trying to put some extras out. This is my first time in any stores and suddenly I'm in two! It does help to bring in some $$ so I can keep going with my habit, I mean hobby!

Stamping for my Sanity's Sake!

Romans 8:28-29
I finally have a blog! Click here to check it out.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:14 AM   #2129
Matboard Maniac

Good morning, ladies. I hope everyone has a wonderful day!!

Hugs
Old 11-17-2012, 05:33 AM   #2130
Hardware Hotshot

[QUOTE=

one more day, one more day ( good thing its once a year ) (this helps subsidize the cards I donate and the stamps that follow me home during the year )

and Congratulations to all of today's winners
<---- color me green over the spellbinders.[/QUOTE]

Stacy -- good luck with your show -- I'm dying to hear how you do. Your display is wonderful! i would totally stop in your booth - you've made it very inviting. Love the suitcase idea!!

Gail -- I'm thinking I should try to sell some cards to support my habit. How did you get involved with the shops? Can I ask how much you sell your cards for? Is it consignment or do them buy them outright? Is this too pushy to ask? Remember - I'm from NY

my gallery
Old 11-17-2012, 05:35 AM   #2131
Stazon Splitcoast

I went to the Vienna Boys Choir concert last night and just got here to check what went on last night - and I did not miss anything! Good morning ladies!

CCC, MMTPT, QFTD156, Cards for a Cause, Fan Club Member

Rita/scootsv
Old 11-17-2012, 05:45 AM   #2132
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Stacy, your booth looks awesome! Good luck...fingers are crossed you sell out!
SCS Fan Club Member

Come join in the fun..."FROZEN" VSN!

Old 11-17-2012, 05:55 AM   #2133
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdoyle8 View Post

Gail -- I'm thinking I should try to sell some cards to support my habit. How did you get involved with the shops? Can I ask how much you sell your cards for? Is it consignment or do them buy them outright? Is this too pushy to ask? Remember - I'm from NY
I've been selling my cards to my mom and a few of her friends for years, but they live in Chicago so I don't get the chance to have them look through the cards very often. I tried a craft show once, but I didn't do well at all. I tried selling at an Artisan and Farmer's Market here in my town (the table was only $10) and neither my fresh herbs from my garden nor my cards sold only some baked goods I threw together at the last minute, go figure!
I was going to try again at an end of the summer event so when I saw a rack at the thrift store I snatched it up (only $15 for a huge, former book rack). Then a consignment store opened up in my town and it looked like a good fit. I took a few cards in to show him in their plastic sleeves. The owner charges me a commission though other vendors pay per month per square foot of display. Since my space was all vertical, he deemed it more fair to charge a percentage of each card sale. I had posted about it and put up pictures on fb and a gal from my previous church saw it. She works at a store in a slightly larger town and the owner lets local artisans put things in her shop and charges NO commission. I only have a basket there, but I'm keeping track of what is selling and I may end up moving my rack there at some point.
Most of my cards sell for around $3.50 which is what my small town, rural Indiana market can bear. I charge less for simpler cards and mini cards. I've been in both shops since October so I don't have much data yet! The crazy thing was that when I filled the rack I had over 300 cards! The town I live in where I have the rack, is a lake town so it will be interesting to see if I can do more sales in the summer. So far it is just a fun little extra bit of income~about $60 in October but who knows. My mom bought $50 worth from me last week too so I'm rollin' in the dough!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Card Rack.jpg (64.9 KB, 23 views)

Old 11-17-2012, 06:04 AM   #2134
Gallery Gazer

Stacy, you have done an awesome job on your booth! It just invites you to come and browse. Hope you have a fantastic day today!

Scootsv, was the concert amazing? I'm just a little green with envy here.

Everyone have a fun day and send me some good karma for a productive day. I need to get Christmas cards out of the way - and get going on a wedding card that needs to be pretty special. Her colors are ivory, navy and silver, and I would like to use all three, but my brain isn't quite getting silver and ivory...
DTGD12, DTGD14, HYCCT12, HYCCT13, HYCCT14, Love Fest 2013, Love Fest 2014
CAS and CC guest designer
Old 11-17-2012, 06:10 AM   #2135
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

how about ivory base and maybe ribbon with silver embossed image on the navy

QFTD38 and proud fan club member

Join us for Christmas Card Challenge 2013and All Occasion Card Challenge 2013
Y'all are cordially invited to a teaparty with the Sisterhood of the Traveling Teaparty.
resident lurker at the You Can Do It challenge
Old 11-17-2012, 06:14 AM   #2136

Gail, your display looks awesome. How lucky for you to have found the stand at a thrift store!

JodyLynn, navy and silver sound easier than ivory. Do you do die cut flowers? Maybe an ivory rose? Come back and post pics when you figure it out. Would love to see what you come up with!
SCS Fan Club Member

Old 11-17-2012, 06:16 AM   #2137
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makalah View Post
Val - with your combination of health issues, I would think talking to a dietician or nutritionist would be a good move, or doing a food journal and sharing it with your doctor. You can be tested for iron (maybe protein too? I've never asked) to make sure you're getting enough. If it's too difficult with your diet, you could take supplements/multi-vitamins.
Good morning. I'll be checking in a couple of times today to see what torture Lydia can come up with.

I have had time with a nutritionist, which gave me a good foundation for making food choices even as things got more complicated. I did a food journal for awhile, but my doctors didn't even look at it when I brought it to the office. The next time I see the kidney doc, early January after several tests, he will talk about "education, control, maintenance" etc. He might be more interested then. Yes, I've been tested for iron, protein, plus a gazillion other things.

Thanks to all who gave good tips about dealing with my issues.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:20 AM   #2138
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodylb View Post
This is kinda off topic but can someone explain the Moddy Christmas at Amazon that's in Lydia's signature block? When I click it on it, I just end up on my normal landing page...
I see your question has been answered. Three cheers for the volunteer mods who do so much work at SCS.

There isn't anything 'off topic' on this thread. It's like we're sitting in someone's living room chatting away and whatever topic comes up we go with for awhile.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:25 AM   #2139
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrslaird View Post
Can you have fish or nuts? That is a lot of restrictions! I only eat kosher meat, my husband is diabetic and doesn't eat red meat, and for a few months I was off dairy. We were one food allergy away from being the worst dinner guests.
Mmm, yes I love nuts, but have to be careful not to overdo as they have a lot of fat. Many years ago, I ate so many nuts and sunflower seeds that I started having tummy spasms. Saw the doc and nothing serious was going on, but I went on a bland, low fiber diet for a year before they stopped. I'm a horrible dinner guest as there are so many foods I can't (shouldn't) eat, but then a lot that I just plain don't like. I don't like fish in general or seafood, but do eat a little fish once in awhile. Some things that I'm not supposed to have, I will eat in moderation when I'm out.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:28 AM   #2140
Stazon Splitcoast

Well, gotta run get ready for my friend to come stamp with me. So much to do today. Have a great Saturday everyone!

Old 11-17-2012, 06:35 AM   #2141
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaxsix View Post
I've been selling my cards to my mom and a few of her friends for years, ...
Gail, thanks so much for the good info about how you sell cards. Friends often tell me I should sell mine, but (1) I'm not sure they're good enough, (2) I don't have time to make enough to sell, (3) I didn't know how much to charge. I've seen them in antique malls for $5.50 or more, but I wouldn't feel right charging anyone that much. Those $5.50 cards were similar to ones I make - nothing all that extra special about them. $3.50 or less sure sounds like a better prices. Your info was very helpful.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:39 AM   #2142

I don't like fish either, Val. I live on the Oregon coast...and I don't eat fish! Our friends are used to it by now but they still offer just to rub it in. Hubby loves to fish...mostly salmon and steelhead. He also crabs and clams a lot. I don't mind going with him in the muck to dig clams (it's actually kind of fun and VERY good exercise), but forget about me helping to clean them or eat them. A girl has got to draw the line somewhere! LOL!
SCS Fan Club Member

Old 11-17-2012, 06:46 AM   #2143
Stazon Splitcoast

Good morning. Sun's peeking out today. Yay! Are the festivities continuing today, does anyone know?

Old 11-17-2012, 06:49 AM   #2144

Nope, no clue.
SCS Fan Club Member

Old 11-17-2012, 06:54 AM   #2145
Stazon Splitcoast

Not sure I have the endurance for this, this year. I'm outta shape.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:58 AM   #2146

Wow, looks like everyone has fun plans today!
Stacy- love the display!
Maria- I only have one child but I had to start dying my hair at an early age. I would scare myself if I were to let it grow out in its natural state.
Scoots- I am sure the evening was awesome listening to that choir!
Jodylyn- You need to come join us over at the Christmas Card Challenge. I do five cards a month and in November I am ready to send out cards! No anxiety about getting cards done.
Tammie- I am not much of a fish lover. Cod and Salmon is about it. But I love shrimp, scallops and lobster. I used to help harvest oysters when I was younger but never could eat them, ick...
Today, I am helping my daughter get ready for the Marine Corp Ball tonight. She did not go to proms when she was in high school so today is a very special dress up kind of day. She is so nervous! lol.
Have a great Saturday everyone!

Old 11-17-2012, 07:02 AM   #2147
Stazon Splitcoast

Peggy, I hope this day is everything your daughter dreamed of. So cool.

Old 11-17-2012, 07:07 AM   #2148

Take lots and lots of pics, Peggy! How fun!
SCS Fan Club Member

Old 11-17-2012, 07:08 AM   #2149
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
SCS Gallery Moderator
Tickle a Teapotter Coordinator

Good morning all!!My headache is gone but I still feel bleah and washed out and have 3 burnt fingers to prove it , and some rather dubious looking caramel/butterscotch frosting (no, that is NOT what I burnt my fingers on) which was too thick to spread properly. I'll find out at coffee break time what it tastes like.

Real gravy - in my opinion it shouldn't be anything more than pan juices, maybe a little wine, stock or water from cooking the dinner vegetables, flour to thicken and seasoning. Oh, and I don't mind cooking a little finely minced onion in some of the drippings or extra butter. For goodness' sake, it should taste of the meat it comes from!! My SIL cooks the Christmas turkey for her in-laws every year but she struck on making gravy from granules - since that's what the family like, somebody else has to make it. I'd be with her every step of the way ; even when I cooked for youth camps I wouldn't use the stuff.
Now, off to try to make something while there's still some sunshine!
SCS Photo Challenge #205 ~ Get Stuffed
Ways to Use It : Thursday Challenge ~ WT511 Thank You
Techniques ~ Monday is Technique Time; TLC513: Box, bag, Treat, Tag
Old 11-17-2012, 07:10 AM   #2150
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greywolf View Post
::standing in front of the group::

Hi. My name is Valerie. And I love salt.
Hi. I'm Karen. I LOVE salt!

Thanks for stopping by my gallery.

Faith is believing that God is present, when all we hear is silence.

Bugzi, Punchkateer Secretary
Member of the Fan Club
QFTD49
Old 11-17-2012, 07:18 AM   #2151
Proud Fan Club Member

Good morning all! I was planning to spend today in my crfat room catching up with all of you and finishing getting ready for my craft sale next wekend. That plan changed last night at 2 am. I awoke to a soft "hello" in my bedroom. It was my daughter! She came home from university for the weekend to surprise us. She had planned to come home last weekend but was unable to because of a snow storm. We were both disappointed but decided we'd have to wait until Christmas. I'm just waiting for her to wake up and then my day is all hers. I feel like a kid at Christmas!

Have fun today and I will check in later sometime.

My Gallery
Old 11-17-2012, 07:23 AM   #2152
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnetteMac View Post
Good morning all! I was planning to spend today in my crfat room catching up with all of you and finishing getting ready for my craft sale next wekend. That plan changed last night at 2 am. I awoke to a soft "hello" in my bedroom. It was my daughter! She came home from university for the weekend to surprise us. She had planned to come home last weekend but was unable to because of a snow storm. We were both disappointed but decided we'd have to wait until Christmas. I'm just waiting for her to wake up and then my day is all hers. I feel like a kid at Christmas!

What a wonderful surprise. I hope you two have an amazing day together.

Hugs
Old 11-17-2012, 07:23 AM   #2153
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Gives me chills. Sorta like a hallmark commercial. That is so special. Yes, this is a good day!

Old 11-17-2012, 07:29 AM   #2154
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
SCS Gallery Moderator
Tickle a Teapotter Coordinator

Quote:

What a lovely surprise that must have been! Have a wonderful weekend.
SCS Photo Challenge #205 ~ Get Stuffed
Ways to Use It : Thursday Challenge ~ WT511 Thank You
Techniques ~ Monday is Technique Time; TLC513: Box, bag, Treat, Tag
Old 11-17-2012, 07:37 AM   #2155

Quote:

Im with Jean. Right out of a Folgers commercial I think
Have a great day with your daughter!

Old 11-17-2012, 07:56 AM   #2156
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Oh my gosh - look what I just got from MD Anderson!!!

This is Francine (their senior mail clerk) and Elke - this whole cart is full of Splitcoast cards!!
Lookin' good. Wonder if mine from Germany arrived yet?
Old 11-17-2012, 08:03 AM   #2157
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

What a lovely surprise! Enjoy your day together!
Old 11-17-2012, 08:05 AM   #2158
Swapper of the Month June 2012

Location: down the road, around the corner, first house on the left

Quote:

Wow! What a great surprise; wishing you both a fabulous day.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:22 AM   #2159
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Aww. So happy for you. Thanks for making me think about this. My teenager is giving me gray hairs lately... I'm happy to have him gone for a weekend, but soon I'll probably be happy to have him come home once in awhile.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:25 AM   #2160
Proud Fan Club Member

AnnetteMac- What a wonderful story to share! It is always such a treat when our kids comes home- cooking their special foods, hearing about their activities. I can't wait for my son's visit in December. In the meantime, one of my dear friends in MT has invited him to her large family Thanksgiving- she gave the blessing at his Eagle Scout ceremony 4 years ago.