Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 06:50 PM   #2081
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamp300 View Post
Val, that must be hard for you all around. I had a hard enough time trying to eat right while I was pregnant, I had to eat on a diabetic diet & only gained 8 pounds. I seen a nutritionist every week & check my insulin...that was not fun.
Hugs to you!
Thanks Connie. I'm just glad - thankful - that I have good doctors and that meds and diet are helping keeping things under control. I'm still learning to deal with gout, and the kidney issues are new to me, so will learn as I go.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 11-16-2012, 06:50 PM   #2082
Hardware Hotshot

Ok --- let me get my 2 cents in on a couple of issues:

Gravy/Sauce --- As an Italian/American, I can tell you that the term "gravy" for tomato based spaghetti sauce is definitely a regional thing--- typical to New Jersey and some sections of downstate NY.

Black Friday shopping: A few years ago, my sisters-in-law and nieces all went Black Friday shopping at 5am. We got some great deals --- and even better, we had some big, fat laughs. Then we all went out to breakfast. It was the BEST. Then the stores started opening Thanksgiving night, and it kinda sucked the fun right out of Black Friday. So now we sleep in, all the girls to go breakfast and shop in the cute little boutiques until it's time to stop for a Starbucks. It is absolute heaven. My nieces have grown into the most fascinating adults and I love having the opportunity to spend time with them. It's the highlight of my holiday season.
Crafty Math Chick -- Meredith! As a vegetarian you can eat burgers that I can not even bring to my carnivore lips LOL! Cracks me up!

Sabrina -- Feel better soon -- as in right now. I am sorry you've been feel crappy

Val -- you are welcome in upstate NY for Christmas -- we would love to have you. But there will be poultry sausage in the dressing - beware.

Gail --your college lady sounds just like my mom. Just keep adding to the sauce -- it's kinda like the friendship bread starter that people make

KelliJo - my new friend -- I've gotta ask. What do you do? What is your job?

my gallery
Old 11-16-2012, 06:51 PM   #2083
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafty Math Chick View Post
Oh - me too Mom!! Gimme a BIG ole bucket of buttery salty popcorn over a sweet treat ANY day!! Must run in the family!
Hugs, Meredith! Yep, you 'inherited' that salt addiction from me. I love, love, salty buttered popcorn!
Old 11-16-2012, 06:52 PM   #2084
Hardware Hotshot

oh, and Congratulations to all of today's winners!!

my gallery
Old 11-16-2012, 06:55 PM   #2085
Hardware Hotshot

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNacho View Post
Hm. Maybe regional, maybe Italian... cuz yeah, I would just call that tomato sauce or spaghetti sauce (tomato sauce is plainer to me, spaghetti sauce usually has the herbs and seasoning). Closest I have come to seeing anything with tomato "gravy" is sometimes people will make a meatloaf that way... but I prefer my meatloaf with the best topping of all: bacon.
Emily -- I'm with you on the meatloaf. I am not a fan of the meatloaf with the tomato stuff on top.
And tomato sauce is just that -- tomatoes with some fresh basil - lightly cooked.
Spaghetti sauce cooks all day and has lots of stuff in it.

And -- I want to know how you came up with the cool name Skynacho? We are all coveting it!

my gallery
Old 11-16-2012, 06:57 PM   #2086
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greywolf View Post
I only wish I didn't like salt. I've made a lot of adjustments in the past 12 years, but have never learned to like unsalted food. I do try to keep it to a minimum, but I really like salty food - more than desserts.
I love salt too. People tell me I shouldn't use it, but they all have blood pressure problems, mine is low. one time it was low enough that the tech taking it went to get someone else to check it. I've been rejcted for donating blood a couple times for that too.
I like salt so much I've purchased Himalayian (sp?) salt because it was pink. can't say that it tasted any different than plain old salt.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:58 PM   #2087
Watercolor Wizard

[QUOTE=vdoyle8;19830158]Ok --- let me get my 2 cents in on a couple of issues:

Black Friday shopping: A few years ago, my sisters-in-law and nieces all went Black Friday shopping at 5am. We got some great deals --- and even better, we had some big, fat laughs. Then we all went out to breakfast. It was the BEST. Then the stores started opening Thanksgiving night, and it kinda sucked the fun right out of Black Friday. So now we sleep in, all the girls to go breakfast and shop in the cute little boutiques until it's time to stop for a Starbucks. It is absolute heaven. My nieces have grown into the most fascinating adults and I love having the opportunity to spend time with them. It's the highlight of my holiday season.

Val -- you are welcome in upstate NY for Christmas -- we would love to have you. But there will be poultry sausage in the dressing - beware./QUOTE]

Time with your nieces sounds wonderful.

Thanks for the invite to NY. I wish I could come as I know it's beautiful up there. I have a online friend who lives in Webster, and I've visited her a few times - never later than October. Just nice to be invited. {{Hugs}} SCS is a wonderful family to belong to.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:58 PM   #2088
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdoyle8 View Post
Emily -- I'm with you on the meatloaf. I am not a fan of the meatloaf with the tomato stuff on top.
And tomato sauce is just that -- tomatoes with some fresh basil - lightly cooked.

And -- I want to know how you came up with the cool name Skynacho? We are all coveting it!
I was watching the Colbert Report when he was reporting on PETA calling fish "kittens of the sea" in order to convince people not to eat them. One of his jokes was that owls would now be called sky nachos. It struck me as hilarious right at the moment that I was in need of a user name when filling out my splitcoast registration.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:03 PM   #2089
Hardware Hotshot

[QUOTE=Greywolf;19830176]
Quote:
Ok --- let me get my 2 cents in on a couple of issues:

Val -- you are welcome in upstate NY for Christmas -- we would love to have you. But there will be poultry sausage in the dressing - beware./QUOTE]

Thanks for the invite to NY. I wish I could come as I know it's beautiful up there. I have a online friend who lives in Webster, and I've visited her a few times - never later than October. Just nice to be invited. {{Hugs}} SCS is a wonderful family to belong to.

my gallery
Old 11-16-2012, 07:04 PM   #2090
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cveneruso View Post
I love salt too. People tell me I shouldn't use it, but they all have blood pressure problems, mine is low. one time it was low enough that the tech taking it went to get someone else to check it. I've been rejected for donating blood a couple times for that too.
I like salt so much I've purchased Himalayian (sp?) salt because it was pink. can't say that it tasted any different than plain old salt.
Chris, because of my heart issues, including a-fib, my docs and I keep my BP low. 90 / 60 as an average is my norm. Every time someone new sees it, they raise their eyebrows, so I have to explain that it's okay, that my body has gotten used to that level. I would not feel right if it were 120/80 - that would be high for me.

I've heard of that pink salt and wondered if it tasted different.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:06 PM   #2091
Hardware Hotshot

./QUOTE]

Thanks for the invite to NY. I wish I could come as I know it's beautiful up there. I have a online friend who lives in Webster, and I've visited her a few times - never later than October. Just nice to be invited. {{Hugs}} SCS is a wonderful family to belong to.[/QUOTE]

Val --- ARE YOU KIDDING??? You were right up the road from me!!!! I can't believe you have a friend in Webster - what a small world! October is absolute perfection in upstate NY. But I love winter also -- there is no prettier time.

And the time with my nieces is heaven --- I appreciate every second.

my gallery
Old 11-16-2012, 07:06 PM   #2092
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
I was watching the Colbert Report when he was reporting on PETA calling fish "kittens of the sea" in order to convince people not to eat them. One of his jokes was that owls would now be called sky nachos. It struck me as hilarious right at the moment that I was in need of a user name when filling out my splitcoast registration.
That's interesting. Catchy name though.
QFTD52
FS318
HYCCT2013
Old 11-16-2012, 07:09 PM   #2093
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
HA! Glad this mystery is solved! I have little screech owls in my backyard - they will now forever be sky nachos!!

My Gallery |My Blog | My Store
Love Splitcoast?
Help us love our volunteers by shopping at Amazon

Old 11-16-2012, 07:11 PM   #2094
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
./QUOTE]

Val --- ARE YOU KIDDING??? You were right up the road from me!!!! I can't believe you have a friend in Webster - what a small world! October is absolute perfection in upstate NY. But I love winter also -- there is no prettier time.
I KNOOOOWWW! I came to the airport in Rochester. She used to work at a hospital in Rochester. She is currently dealing with cancer and is taking a pill instead of chemo. It's all taking a toll on her, but she has her faith in the Lord and a wonderful outlook and will be victorious whatever happens.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:12 PM   #2095

Quote:
I love salt too. People tell me I shouldn't use it, but they all have blood pressure problems, mine is low. one time it was low enough that the tech taking it went to get someone else to check it. I've been rejcted for donating blood a couple times for that too.
I love salt too. You should try magic unicorn salt. It's amazing. And no, I didn't make up the name.

Magic Unicorn Sea Salt 4 oz. | Fab.com

Love Splitcoast?

Old 11-16-2012, 07:14 PM   #2096
Stazon Splitcoast

How many times do I need to hear the same songs from One Direction, I'm getting to the point where I know all of them & not my kind of music as Justin Bieber either. Oh well, going to try & make the inspiration challenge tonight & get back into making the daily challenges.
QFTD52
FS318
HYCCT2013
Old 11-16-2012, 07:18 PM   #2097
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderstandBlue View Post
I love salt too. You should try magic unicorn salt. It's amazing. And no, I didn't make up the name.

I'm going to ask the seafood buyer at work about this. We carry sea salt but not this kind. TFS!
QFTD52
FS318
HYCCT2013
Old 11-16-2012, 07:22 PM   #2098
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Mmmm, sounds good. My addiction to salt goes waaaay back to childhood. I don't tell many people this, but farmers (ranchers) put out salt lick blocks for cows .... well, as I kid I used to love licking the salt blocks (before they were put out for the cows, of course!)
Old 11-16-2012, 07:22 PM   #2099
Stazon Splitcoast

Wow! Thank you so much!!! Our three month old granddaughter is visiting for the first time and I haven't been able to keep up with this amazing thread (Hilarious kitty pics!)
I am excited to learn about Chic n Savvy!!!

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...&ppuser=336745
Fan Club member
QFTD128
Old 11-16-2012, 07:29 PM   #2100
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

a quick sauce of tomatoes and basil is marinara sauce. my mother made meatloaf with tomato sauce (as in a can of Hunt's tomato sauce) on top. I didn't like that. I like brown gravy on it.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:37 PM   #2101
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Chris, because of my heart issues, including a-fib, my docs and I keep my BP low. 90 / 60 as an average is my norm. Every time someone new sees it, they raise their eyebrows, so I have to explain that it's okay, that my body has gotten used to that level. I would not feel right if it were 120/80 - that would be high for me.

I've heard of that pink salt and wondered if it tasted different.
my norm is 110/60. but I've spent lots of time in the hospital and you know they take it a bazillion times a day. they've had readings that made me wonder if my blood was pumping at all. like 87/54, that time they went to get another machine because they figured it was broke. but nope, it was just my way low bp. I think that hospitalization was after I passed out while crossing the street. fortunately there weren't any cars coming.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:42 PM   #2102
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

If I run into it I will buy it. I wonder if they'll have it at Fresh market or Williams and sonoma.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:45 PM   #2103
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Sounds like the same unicorn that made the bacon jam.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:45 PM   #2104
Gallery Gazer

If y'all want to try really tasty meatloaf, use picante sauce instead of tomato sauce. Roll the meat out to a long rectangle, load it up with mushrooms and Mexican shredded cheese. Then roll it all up like jelly roll and bake. YUM YUM!
DTGD12, DTGD14, HYCCT12, HYCCT13, HYCCT14, Love Fest 2013, Love Fest 2014
CAS and CC guest designer
Old 11-16-2012, 07:47 PM   #2105
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Mmmm, sounds good. My addiction to salt goes waaaay back to childhood. I don't tell many people this, but farmers (ranchers) put out salt lick blocks for cows .... well, as I kid I used to love licking the salt blocks (before they were put out for the cows, of course!)
LOL, I love that. If there was a salt lick around when I was a kid I'm sure I would have tried it out. I would lick my finger to get salt out of the bottom of a bag of pretzels.
I have put salt on unsalted butter. I can't stand that stuff.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:53 PM   #2106
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
I would lick my finger to get salt out of the bottom of a bag of pretzels.
I have put salt on unsalted butter. I can't stand that stuff.
Bwahahahaha! salt on unsalted butter!

Yep, I get every grain of salt out of a bag of pretzel/chips.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:54 PM   #2107
Watercolor Wizard

::standing in front of the group::

Hi. My name is Valerie. And I love salt.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:57 PM   #2108
Proud Fan Club Member

I love salty roasted pumpkin seeds
Old 11-16-2012, 07:57 PM   #2109
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
::standing in front of the group::

Hi. My name is Valerie. And I love salt.
You're funny Val. You have a sense of humor. I'm the opposite, don't care for salt but my DH sure does.
QFTD52
FS318
HYCCT2013
Old 11-16-2012, 07:58 PM   #2110
Stazon Splitcoast

you guys are making me want chips or popcorn or something salty like that even though I just finished dinner!

Creativity takes courage.
--Henri Matisse
Old 11-16-2012, 08:00 PM   #2111
Stazon Splitcoast

I need to sign and address my Thanksgiving cards tonight so I can get them in the mail tomorrow. I made 15 this year, but I think they all need sentiments on the inside, too.

Creativity takes courage.
--Henri Matisse
Old 11-16-2012, 08:05 PM   #2112
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliotstamps View Post
I need to sign and address my Thanksgiving cards tonight so I can get them in the mail tomorrow. I made 15 this year, but I think they all need sentiments on the inside, too.
I don't usually put sentiments inside until I'm ready to mail a card. That way I can personalize the card when I've decided who it will go to. I do put sentiments in the cards I make for the Card Ministry. I use the same sentiment on all my Christmas cards - just print them out on sticky labels. Speaking of which, I still need to make my October and November CCC12 cards. !!! I'm running out of time.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:08 PM   #2113
Watercolor Wizard

I'm going nite-nite. It's been a long day, and another long day tomorrow. Enjoyed chatting with all of you.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:09 PM   #2114
Stazon Splitcoast

Night Val!
QFTD52
FS318
HYCCT2013
Old 11-16-2012, 08:13 PM   #2115
Die Cut Diva

Val - with your combination of health issues, I would think talking to a dietician or nutritionist would be a good move, or doing a food journal and sharing it with your doctor. You can be tested for iron (maybe protein too? I've never asked) to make sure you're getting enough. If it's too difficult with your diet, you could take supplements/multi-vitamins.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:23 PM   #2116
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Oh Michelle, thank you for the reminder. I need to get Thanksgiving cards in the mail tomorrow for sure!

Old 11-16-2012, 08:26 PM   #2117
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Congrats to all the winners today! I finally made it home from my work trip and should be able to keep up with the posts tomorrow.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:40 PM   #2118
Gallery Gazer

This is kinda off topic but can someone explain the Moddy Christmas at Amazon that's in Lydia's signature block? When I click it on it, I just end up on my normal landing page...
DTGD12, DTGD14, HYCCT12, HYCCT13, HYCCT14, Love Fest 2013, Love Fest 2014
CAS and CC guest designer
Old 11-16-2012, 08:43 PM   #2119

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodylb View Post
This is kinda off topic but can someone explain the Moddy Christmas at Amazon that's in Lydia's signature block? When I click it on it, I just end up on my normal landing page...
That's our affiliate link to Amazon - by landing page you mean Amazon right? If you purchase something within 24 hours of clicking that link, we get a small affiliate fee that we use to buy our volunteers Christmas gifts. They volunteer all year to keep this running like a top and we love them.

We appreciate you!

Love Splitcoast?

Old 11-16-2012, 08:55 PM   #2120
Crafting. Procrastinating. Caffeinating.

Quote:
You could probably give me some good tips. I'm not a vegetarian, but must eat almost like I am. My problem is getting enough protein and iron. Because of heart, diabetes, gout and kidney issues, I am restricted from eating a lot of foods. Re: the gout, I'm not supposed to have pork or beef, but very little other meat either. I'm only supposed to eat beans in moderation. Because of the heart issues and meds, I have to go easy on the green veggies. I feel like the only thing I'm allowed to eat is ... condiments. I can eat dairy products and eggs (2-3 per week), and that's been my protein recently.
Can you have fish or nuts? That is a lot of restrictions! I only eat kosher meat, my husband is diabetic and doesn't eat red meat, and for a few months I was off dairy. We were one food allergy away from being the worst dinner guests.

Gallery Blog

Relax, nothing is under control.