View Single Post
Old 04-18-2013, 04:46 AM   #5815
PH in VA
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose View Post
Oh PH, I love cute bunny stories! Do you worry about your garden? Do they eat everything and make you hate them??
Actually, no. It's like there's some sort of mutual understanding that as long as we let them live under our shed and don't bother them, they won't bother the garden. It's the darnedest thing.

There has been only one time over the last 7 or so years we've had a garden that they've eaten any of the plants - and even so, because the plants were eaten during the night, we can't prove with certainty it was the bunnies. It was during a drought period where much of the grass in the yard had dried up, but we'd been watering the garden to keep the butterbeans and snaps growing.

Last year, however, we had deer come in the yard and eat pretty much everything that was growing at the time - snaps, butterbeans, corn, and even my daylilies in the front yard! We saw deer tracks so we knew the bunnies weren't responsible. Besides, the way the corn was eaten from the top of the plant down, there's no way that could have been done by the bunnies. LOL.

I've been watching the weather and trying to figure out the best time to spray animal repellant. Last year after the deer had their feast, I bought Liquid Fence to spray around the garden. It worked well. It is the HOG NASTIEST smelling stuff before it dries. Imagine a mixture of skunk odor, rotten eggs, and fresh manure, and that's a pretty accurate description. Seriously, one of the ingredients on the label is "putrescent egg solids". Garlic is another. But thankfully after it dries, humans can't smell it, but the deer (and apparently rabbits) still can so they stay away. I don't want to use it when it's windy or if it's going to rain in the next 24 hours.

Last edited by PH in VA; 04-18-2013 at 04:14 PM.. Reason: clarification
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!