Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-17-2013, 03:54 PM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Opinions on Corner Rounders?

I have a Creative Memories corner rounder that's about ready to bite the dust. I've had it for at least 12 years and it doesn't always cut cleanly anymore.

I've been looking at some of the new corner rounders available at stores like Michael's and JoAnn's, but they can get kind of expensive, so I thought I'd ask if anyone had used them or had any suggestions.

Both Fiskars and We R Memory Makers have corner rounders that offer two different size corners, which I like. The Fiskars version looks a little awkward but they don't really have a picture on the package of how to use it, so maybe it isn't. It's about $10.99. The other is called the corner chomper or something like that. I saw it used in an online class I took and they really seemed to like it, but it's $24.99, which seems like a lot for a corner rounder. If it really works well, though, I'd look for it with a coupon.

Has anyone used these or have any others they'd recommend?

Thanks,
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2013, 08:55 PM   #2  
Crimping Master

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

I have the Corner Chomper and really like it. Its heavy duty and will cut through both layers of the folded card. I got it at HL's with a coupon so it was pretty reasonable. I haven't had any issues with mine. I also have a SU corner rounder that hasn't been used since I bought the Corner Chomper. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2013, 09:13 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I also have the Corner Chomper by WeRMemory Keepers. They make several, but the one I have cuts both 1/4" and 1/2" radius corners. It is very sturdy and like Juble said, you can cut the corners of a folded card. Very handy!

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2013, 12:20 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,049 Likes on 809 Posts

Another vote for the corner chomper. I've even rounded off chipboard coasters with mine. It's worth the price even without a coupon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2013, 02:00 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

I'll wade into the Corner Chomper voting as well - love mine! I have the original one (does 1/2 and 1/4 inch) with the blue handles and I liked it so much I asked for the newer one with the lemon handles as a Christmas gift last year (that one does a tiny but extremely useful 1/8 and a 3/8 so you have the size inbetween the ones of the blue handled tool).

As others have said, the fact you can go through both layers of a card at once means that you can round corners even on the folded edge of your card. The Chomper will go through substantial chipboard, soda can metal, sturdy acetate (like the pacgkaging of Spellbinder dies or Cuttlebug folders for example).

Use a coupon if you can or shop around online, you might get a better deal but I'd say it's well worth the price in any case!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2013, 03:03 AM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 585 Likes on 240 Posts

Another vote for Corner Chomper! It goes through acrylic and chipboard as well as paper and card stock. Sadly, I'm missing one of mine and it's hard to scrap without it!
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2013, 05:54 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

I have the corner rounders from the folks who make the Zutter Bind it All machine. One is pink and the other is blue - I think for 1/2" rounder and 1/4" rounder. They are awesome. I can cut through 2 or 3 sheets of cardstock (perfect for a folded card) as well as chipboard.

The only thing I have trouble with is text weight paper like the regular paper from a copy machine. It's too thin for my punches and ends up bending instead of cutting. I solved that problem by sticking a sheet of cardstock in with the thin paper and it cut just fine.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2013, 06:00 AM   #8  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Fiskars and I never use it. I am extremely unimpressed with it and it has NEVER made a clean cut and I find it rather awkward to use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2013, 06:42 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

When the Corner Chomper was first released, I was like you - thought it was way too expensive and why would I pay that much for something when I had perfectly good EK Success corner rounders already.

Then I bought one. Even without a coupon, it is SO worth it. As has been mentioned, it cuts thru double layers of card bases (even with Gina K base weight cardstock) but if you want to round corners of text-weight paper, it works just as well on those. It also rounds like a dream on laminated sheets, instead of stretching and bending it.

And finally, it's really difficult to line your corner up wrong with them - even with narrow rectangle pieces. That was a problem for me with other brands of rounders - if I had a narrow rectangle that I wanted rounded corners on, the piece would shift in the rounder - the guides didn't guide all the way to the punching edge, if that makes sense. With the Corner Chomper, that doesn't happen.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2013, 07:05 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Corner Chomper is my go-to corner rounder. I have several of the different designs also. It is kwithin easy reach in y crafting area. I like the with one tool you have 2 sizes. The one I use most is the 1/4" and 1/2".I haven't bought the newer one that cuts 1/8" and 3/8". Like that it can cut through any weight of c/s and chipboard (cereal box weight-haven't had to need to cut any heavier weight).

JoAnn/Micheal's often have sales on their Scrapbooking tools. This week JoAnn has their tools on sale for 40% off.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2013, 07:09 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by hbrownView Post
I have the corner rounders from the folks who make the Zutter Bind it All machine. One is pink and the other is blue - I think for 1/2" rounder and 1/4" rounder. They are awesome. I can cut through 2 or 3 sheets of cardstock (perfect for a folded card) as well as chipboard.

The only thing I have trouble with is text weight paper like the regular paper from a copy machine.
(*waves* to Holly)

The Chomper not only avoids the problem of thinner paper (I've never had a problem), it has both those sizes on a single tool so it takes up less space. Unless pricing has changed radically since I last looked, the Zutter ones were about the same price each as the Chomper (so you'd pay twice as much to get the two sizes of rounder). I'd say if you're going for a heavy duty rounder, the Chomper is a better bet.

I have no affiliation with We R Memory Keepers (makers of the Chomper), just a happy customer! In fact, I have the Chomper because I own a Crop-a-Dile and I'd hestiated forever over buying that. When I finally caved it was the first tool in ages that made me say "wow!" - even my Dad was impressed with the quality of the engineering of it. So when the first Chomper came out I had absolutely no hesitation in buying it (although I haven't got completely sucked in, I don't own any of the shaped ones).

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2013, 08:54 AM   #12  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have the original Corner Chomper and love it. I had a SU one and it didn't cut as clean a corner. Also, with the Corner Chomper, if you have an embellishment or bulk near the corner it doesn't matter, the corner area is "open" on the top so nothing has to slide in a slot like most other corner rounders. Hope that makes sense.
It can cut through multiple layers of card stock, chipboard and other heavier materials with ease, well worth the investment for essentially 2 tools in one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2013, 12:05 PM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

Default I like the lever punches

I like the lever punches. I also have the other type but I find the lever punches, any type, much easier to use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2013, 02:47 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have a couple of corner rounders - the dark blue Creative Memories thumb press one and the weird shaped orange Fiskars that cuts two size, with the round lever that you flip over to pick which size. Neither of them give me nice clean corners - I always seem to have the last of 4 corners get wonky.

How clean and easy is the corner chomped? Does it require a lot of fiddling to get it just right?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2013, 03:26 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by karjorView Post
I have a couple of corner rounders - the dark blue Creative Memories thumb press one and the weird shaped orange Fiskars that cuts two size, with the round lever that you flip over to pick which size. Neither of them give me nice clean corners - I always seem to have the last of 4 corners get wonky.

How clean and easy is the corner chomped? Does it require a lot of fiddling to get it just right?
No fiddling whatsoever! You just put the corner of your paper or cardstock in the "jaws" and chomp. It gives clean edges on copy-weight paper, and even two layers of cardstock.

No kidding, the Corner Chomper is a very well designed tool. And I really like the fact that you get two different sizes, 1/4" and 1/2" in the same gadget.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2013, 03:35 PM   #16  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

The chompers are wonderful! You can cut at least four sheets of card stock at once. I love the chompers so much that I have all of them...purchased with coupons. besides the half and quarter inch I use the scallop/cloud one a lot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2013, 04:55 PM   #17  
Crimping Master

Thanks, Ladies!

I have a 50% off coupon for JoAnn's daffodil days, so I know where I'm going tomorrow and what I'm buying. I'm almost positive they have it, I think I looked when I was there the other day. If not, I'll take my coupon to Michael's and get it there.

Thanks SO much for all the input. Money is really tight right now with my DH out of work, and I really didn't want to waste money buying a corner rounder that didn't give me clean corners.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2013, 11:25 AM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

Like Jaymuxman, I have the Fiskars one - it doesn't cut worth a darn, in my opionion. I thought it was awkward because I am left-handed, but I'm pretty sure it is just not a good cutter. Saving up for a corner chomper!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2013, 11:30 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

New owner of a corner chomper here and wishing I'd bought it YEARS ago.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2013, 04:55 AM   #20  
Embossing Fanatic

does anyone else have any problem with the martha stewart corner punch. I purchased one and encountered a problem (it cuts another notch alongside of the corne). I thought it was operator error until others used mine and came out with same problem. So, I tried a new one out at the store (to see if it was just my punch) and came out with the same wonky result. what am I doing wrong? any advice? thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2013, 06:49 AM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
No fiddling whatsoever! You just put the corner of your paper or cardstock in the "jaws" and chomp. It gives clean edges on copy-weight paper, and even two layers of cardstock.

No kidding, the Corner Chomper is a very well designed tool. And I really like the fact that you get two different sizes, 1/4" and 1/2" in the same gadget.
Bugga - you are such an enabler!! I was in the land of big box stores this weekend, and snuck off to the mega Joann. Found their last Corner Chomper 1/2" 1/4" for 40% off.

But -I have been playing with it on different materials and the 1/4 side is a bit ragged on cardstock and lighter - fine on thin chipboard on up. I tried chomping some heavy duty aluminum foil and even a bit of fine grade sand paper followed by wax paper and even punch lubricant - it is a bit better but nor perfect. Any ideas? I am many miles from the Joanns that carries it and I got their last one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2013, 07:33 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by karjorView Post
Bugga - you are such an enabler!! I was in the land of big box stores this weekend, and snuck off to the mega Joann. Found their last Corner Chomper 1/2" 1/4" for 40% off.

But -I have been playing with it on different materials and the 1/4 side is a bit ragged on cardstock and lighter - fine on thin chipboard on up. I tried chomping some heavy duty aluminum foil and even a bit of fine grade sand paper followed by wax paper and even punch lubricant - it is a bit better but nor perfect. Any ideas? I am many miles from the Joanns that carries it and I got their last one.
First, karjor, always happy to enable a fellow stamper. I am quite susceptible to enabling myself, and have the stuff to show for it.

When I read your post, I got my Chomper and punched with the 1/4 side on a piece of copy paper, and it was not ragged at all.

You know these things are mass produced, and maybe you got one that wasn't perfectly smooth on the cutting edge. Since you can't return it, maybe you can just use your finger and gently smooth the edge of the paper down.

If it really bothers you, it might be worthwhile to send an email to WeRMemory Keepers customer service and explain the problem - that you got the last one in the store and also live too far away to return it easily.

Who knows, they might send you another one. Can't hurt to try.

Sorry you're having a problem.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2013, 02:30 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thumbs up CORNER CHOMPER

Hail to the Corner Chomper! Sturdy, easy-to-use and it makes perfectly rounded corners EVERY time! My small 1/4 and 1/2 inch Fiskars sometimes made a bit of a choppy corner and when they started failing me, they took out many a card corner! Hee! At the time (a yr or so ago) Overstock.com had the lowest price including shipping (my local stores didn't carry it.) Happy Rounding!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2013, 02:51 AM   #24  
Kookie Creator

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Another vote for the corner chomper but if you can't stretch to that, then i'd highly recommend the xcut ones. They come in 2 sizes (L & S) and cut thrtu card like butter. It will go thru double thickness but it's a bit of a struggle. It's ergonomically designed too. Easy on the fingers!

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2013, 03:15 AM   #25  
Stampin' Fool

I just checked Joann's and they do have the Chomper on sale. The price is $14.99 for the $24.99 chomper, and $17.99 for the $29.99 Chomper
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2013, 04:04 AM   #26  
Inking Addict

I just did a piece on sharpening punches. If your corner rounder isn't working anyway, why not try sharpening it with either aluminum foil folded several times, or a soda can.

How to Sharpen a Punch
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2013, 05:33 AM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

I have both sizes of the Fiskars squeeze corner rounders & really like them. No problems found. I also have a Tonic double punch with a corner rounder on one end & a "ticket corner" punch on the other side. It also works fine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2013, 07:38 AM   #28  
Kookie Creator

OK....enablers! I am adding the corner chomper to my WISH list for when I get to a store....closest 2-3 hours away! Sounds like I'm really missing out.....still using my CM corner rounder......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2013, 10:17 AM   #29  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

I absolutely LOVE my WeRMemory Keepers Corner Chomper and would highly recommend it!! I got mine at Archivers with a 30% off coupon. I know JoAnn's have them as well and I'd wait for a coupon for that store as well. It's easy to use and very ergonomically friendly. It has nice paper guides too.
Mary ~~ QFTD #152, FS#514CC Guest Design Team 2012, 2013, 2017 & 2022 2014 CAS Spring Design Team Member SC Guest Design Team 2015 & 2022 SU Consultant "Life's greatest adventure is finding your place in the Circle of Life" - Lion King
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2013, 11:42 AM   #30  
Rubber Obsessor

I am totally in love with the We R Memory Keepers corner chomper. It is totally awesome. Cuts through anything also don't have those pesky little pieces flying all over - they are stored inside the machine and just open up and clean out - so easy. You will not be disappointed with this awesome tool!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2013, 01:50 AM   #31  
Glitter Queen

corner Chomper gets my vote love it!!! for all the reasons everyone has already mentioned. So I'll say DITTO!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2013, 07:47 PM   #32  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by JubleView Post
I have the Corner Chomper and really like it. Its heavy duty and will cut through both layers of the folded card. I got it at HL's with a coupon so it was pretty reasonable. I haven't had any issues with mine. I also have a SU corner rounder that hasn't been used since I bought the Corner Chomper. HTH
I won't write my own post cuz this is what I would have said!
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2015, 05:58 AM   #33  
Rubber Obsessor

I love my Round it All by Zutter--have chompers too, (but not their corner rounder) It has worked through "thick and thin" for many years, is dulling a little now when I try to cut laminate, but other than that. MY CHOICE!
Reply With Quote Likes