View Single Post
Old 04-15-2013, 04:10 AM   #370
yellowrose46
Stazon Splitcoast

Phew, what a weekend! Thursday and Friday we had rain, snow and freezing rain with temperatures hovering around freezing. The ice collected on trees, and power lines and poles, with as a result, trees and branches falling power lines and power failures all over the place. We live on low land, so water in basements is always an issue in the spring when the frost comes out of the ground and it rains. So we require sump pumps. They run on electrical power, so when the power goes out, we are in trouble! After my last flooded basement, I had a back up pump system installed that runs on battery. When we found out our power was likely going to be off for around 50 hours, I had to scramble to find a spare battery, as one battery only lasts 12-15 hours without being charged. Seeing as my house is heated electrically too, I had no heat, lights, water, etc, so it was like pioneering, except I don't have a fireplace! Most of the neighbours got generators going, but my biggest concern was not to get water in the basement, so I managed to get by in a cold house!
End of story......the power was restored in 30 hours, the basement is still dry, and we are all thankful and so much more appreciative of basic conveniences!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!