Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2011, 07:08 PM   #6161
Stazon Splitcoast

Hello ladies...hope everyone is staying warm. Wishing you a nice Happy Thanksgiving. Congratulations again to all the winners. I sure could use a scrapbox, maybe someday.

Connie
QFTD52
FS318
You Can Do It Challenge
HYCCT2013
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 11-22-2011, 06:47 AM   #6162
Stazon Splitcoast

My daughter made it home safely from Mongolia! My dad and I picked her up in Chicago around 5 this morning. Now we just have the drive back from Chicago today so we can turn around and get in the car to drive to visit my brother for Thanksgiving! Hope everyone has great times with family and friends.

Stamping for my Sanity's Sake!

Romans 8:28-29
I finally have a blog! Click here to check it out.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:25 AM   #6163
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaxsix View Post
My daughter made it home safely from Mongolia! My dad and I picked her up in Chicago around 5 this morning. Now we just have the drive back from Chicago today so we can turn around and get in the car to drive to visit my brother for Thanksgiving! Hope everyone has great times with family and friends.
Yay! Have a fun a safe trip!

Happy Thanksgiving all!
Old 11-22-2011, 09:28 AM   #6164
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Coordinator
Dirty Spy Hostess

Send a message via Yahoo to LuvLee

Yay Gail! That's wonderful to hear! We're doing Thanksgiving on Saturday at one of the SIL's houses......so this week is just a cozy week at home!

~ Proud Fan Club Member! ~
Gina K. Designs DT Coordinator
My Blog: My Reality...It's All Good!
Stamp TV!
Old 11-22-2011, 08:19 PM   #6165
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh my word! So much laundry!!! Still trying to finish cleaning the clothes so we can pack. My teen age sons had accumulated laundry and the clothes from Mongolia SMELL! It was an awful drive back with rain the whole way and wipers going wonky. So thankful to be back safely. My 2nd son started to make hash browns and left the oil on the stove....long story short we have a destroyed range hood and some burnt cabinets as well as smoke damage. Could have been worse so I'm thankful, but that really wasn't the ideal to come home to either! We're still heading out to be with family and will deal with the complete clean up when we return....fun fun fun

Old 11-22-2011, 11:42 PM   #6166
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Tickle a Teapotter Coordinator

Wonky wipers are no fun - glad you made it back safely. Sorry about your son's cooking accident too - those things are no fun, just a good learning experience!
Old 11-23-2011, 03:52 AM   #6167
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook22 View Post
Wonky wipers are no fun - glad you made it back safely. Sorry about your son's cooking accident too - those things are no fun, just a good learning experience!
He is really contrite. The other kids are giving him a hard time "Can we call you flame boy." "Hey, aren't you going to cook us breakfast?" etc.
We are almost ready to go...I still need to pack for myself.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:31 AM   #6168
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
SCS Gallery Moderator

Yay - I shopped MFT today . A nice mix of dies and stamps, some from my wish list and some that I love but that wouldn't have been a priority when it came to budgeting my hard-earned cash. They normally arrive quite quickly - next week should be a good week . I need that!
Old 11-23-2011, 10:37 AM   #6169
VSN Coordinator
Dirty Spy Hostess

We have 2 family Thanksgiving dinners to attend this year! Hubby's family is huge! Tomorrow we'll go to his folks' for a small dinner with only one other sibling. Then Saturday most of the family and some of the niece/nephews and their families will be at one of the SIL's for a big dinner! We'll be doing lots of driving, cooking, cleaning up and eating! Hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend!

Stamp TV!
Old 11-23-2011, 11:32 AM   #6170
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
SCS Gallery Moderator

Safe driving to all those travelling, and happy family time!
Old 11-23-2011, 11:38 AM   #6171
Duchess of CBCs

Happy Thanksgiving!!
Old 11-23-2011, 08:11 PM   #6172
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaxsix View Post
Oh my word! So much laundry!!! Still trying to finish cleaning the clothes so we can pack. My teen age sons had accumulated laundry and the clothes from Mongolia SMELL! It was an awful drive back with rain the whole way and wipers going wonky. So thankful to be back safely. My 2nd son started to make hash browns and left the oil on the stove....long story short we have a destroyed range hood and some burnt cabinets as well as smoke damage. Could have been worse so I'm thankful, but that really wasn't the ideal to come home to either! We're still heading out to be with family and will deal with the complete clean up when we return....fun fun fun
OH Gail, that just stinks!! I'm so sorry!! Thank goodness the house didn't burn down. This makes the lady backing into my car at the grocery store yesterday look like small potatoes!

my gallery
Old 11-23-2011, 08:12 PM   #6173
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Yay - I shopped MFT today . A nice mix of dies and stamps, some from my wish list and some that I love but that wouldn't have been a priority when it came to budgeting my hard-earned cash. They normally arrive quite quickly - next week should be a good week . I need that!
So cool, Sabrina!! Enjoy!

my gallery
Old 11-23-2011, 08:15 PM   #6174
Hardware Hotshot

We are heading out to visit family - looking forward to it! Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. Perhaps the lack of present buying .... and the pie! Have a wonderful holiday everyone

my gallery
Old 11-23-2011, 08:19 PM   #6175
Hardware Hotshot

Anyone else have their Christmas tree up -- or am I the only one? Went up today, we will decorate it over the weekend. I love to put my tree up early so I can enjoy it as long as possible...

my gallery
Old 11-23-2011, 08:31 PM   #6176
Stazon Splitcoast

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!

Connie
QFTD52
FS318
You Can Do It Challenge
HYCCT2013
Old 11-23-2011, 08:54 PM   #6177
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Vicki, do you have a picture? I'm going to miss having one at our house this year - not even going to decorate since we leave here the 10th - but my MIL will have hers waiting for us when we get to their house.

If you hear a voice within you say you cannot paint,
then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.
Vincent Van Gogh

Old 11-23-2011, 10:09 PM   #6178
Watercolor Wizard

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Safe travel - and have a great time with family. My daughter & her boyfriend are going to watch football all day and she wasn't sure whether she was going to cook dinner. I'm not into sports at all, so I just told her to leave me out. I planned to do some crafting Thursday, but another single friend suggested we go out to eat tomorrow. Cracker Barrel is open so we'll have a nice dinner.

I am THANKFUL to have my car back. It had been having problems starting - sometimes (other times it would start just fine). Sunday evening it wouldn't start and I had to get a ride home from church. Monday morning I got a ride to church to meet the tow truck. It started right away! However, the power steering was out! So I had it towed to the shop and finally got it back this afternoon. I'm $942 poorer than I was this morning.

I'm also thankful for my dear daughter Jeanette, my friends (and daughters) on SCS, my church family and everything else that God has provided me with.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:38 PM   #6179
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
SCS Gallery Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdoyle8 View Post
Anyone else have their Christmas tree up -- or am I the only one? Went up today, we will decorate it over the weekend. I love to put my tree up early so I can enjoy it as long as possible...
I had just been wondering, out of curiosity, what sort of price trees go for over there. They're my favourite part of Christmas with the lights and the smell of the pine and the memories attached to all the decorations, but I'm seriously thinking that this year it might be something we have to forego. Last year they were about 45 - 50 (about $65) for a basic 7 foot tree. And there's a shortage of them this year which will probably drive the price up even more
Old 11-24-2011, 02:10 AM   #6180
Mad Swapper

Happy Thanksgiving to ALL! I miss our chatting. I'm looking forward to some cooking and stamping - but mostly the stamping . We alternate between my hubby's family and mine. This year we will stay here and have dinner with his big family (26 in all). I have been assigned dessert. I'm going to make my mother's fabulous carrot cake and a chocolate mint silk torte. When we go to my folks', my mother won't let anyone in the kitchen. I've only ever cooked a turkey once in my 40 years. And then, I was a new bride and wanted to impress my dh's family. I didn't know there was stuff up inside of the turkey!! His mother was so gracious. She pulled that stuff out (after it cooked), threw it in the trash and said, "Well, we just won't tell anyone about that and winked at me." I knew right then and there I belonged in this family.

Which reminds me, I need to go back through the thread and copy all of the wonderful recipes you all shared.

I picked out the Copics for my prize - a skin tone set and the sky and sea set. Looking forward to getting them and trying them out. Can't wait to get the book too! I am so intimidated by markers.

I still can't believe I won a prize. I feel very blessed, but even more so by sharing my passion for crafting with all of you.

Have a blessed day.
Old 11-24-2011, 02:17 AM   #6181
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdoyle8 View Post
Not yet. We will pull out the decorations this weekend. The tree won't go up until about 2 weeks before Christmas. We buy a cut tree and they shed so much... especially when you forget to water them and the sap blocks up the bottom. You'd think we wouldn't repeat our mistake.. but, noooo.. it happens year after year. Last year was the first time I didn't 'rearrange' the tree after the kids decorated it. It was so hard, I want all of the decorations placed just so and evenly spaced.. I had to sit on my hands. Now that my oldest is as tall as me, the decorations aren't all confined to the bottom 2 ft of the tree. LOL!
Old 11-24-2011, 02:22 AM   #6182
Mad Swapper

Quote:
I had just been wondering, out of curiosity, what sort of price trees go for over there. They're my favourite part of Christmas with the lights and the smell of the pine and the memories attached to all the decorations, but I'm seriously thinking that this year it might be something we have to forego. Last year they were about 45 - 50 (about $65) for a basic 7 foot tree. And there's a shortage of them this year which will probably drive the price up even more
The prices vary, but you can buy a pretty basic tree from our Food Lion (grocery store chain) for about $29. Or you can buy them from some guy that travels from Maine and sets up in a parking lot for nearly triple that. One year we were picking one out in the dark and didn't realize that it had been spray painted! We weren't sure because it was so subtle. We have a good sized lot and after Christmas, threw it down by the creek.. 2 months later it was still green!! LOL! I couldn't believe it.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:09 AM   #6183
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom

Hi everyone! I hope everyone has a happy day today, whether or not they are celebrating Thanksgiving.
We're visiting my husband's family. We drove down Tuesday night and I have to say that I've never seen so much rain over so large an area (Virginia through South Carolina, and then again intermittently in northern Florida). But we got here safely and the weather is nice and mild.
I'm not usually allowed in the kitchen; they tell me to take a break because I'm "on vacation", and their kitchen is too small to accommodate more than two people anyway. But I did help peel potatoes earlier. My in-laws always invite a gazillion of people to "just stop by" so I don't know just how many people will be here.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:20 AM   #6184
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom

Quote:
I had just been wondering, out of curiosity, what sort of price trees go for over there. They're my favourite part of Christmas with the lights and the smell of the pine and the memories attached to all the decorations, but I'm seriously thinking that this year it might be something we have to forego. Last year they were about €45 - €50 (about $65) for a basic 7 foot tree. And there's a shortage of them this year which will probably drive the price up even more
We used to go to a local tree farm and choose a tree and have them cut it for us. The most we ever paid was probably $25 or $30. But the last real tree we had dripped sap everywhere - on the ornaments and presents and tree skirt - so I finally caved and we've been using an artificial tree since then.

We don't put up our tree until around the 15th or so. We usually keep it up until the beginning of January.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:25 AM   #6185
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

My Gallery |My Blog | My Store
Love Splitcoast?
Help us love our volunteers by shopping at Amazon

Old 11-24-2011, 07:31 AM   #6186
VSN Coordinator
Dirty Spy Hostess

Happy Thanksgiving to mom and my sisters and my stampin' friends!!!!

Stamp TV!
Old 11-24-2011, 07:31 AM   #6187
VSN Coordinator
Dirty Spy Hostess

Stamp TV!
Old 11-24-2011, 09:37 AM   #6188
Watercolor Wizard

MMMmmm - your desserts sound wonderful. Save me a piece of each, please.

My Dad would never let me do Thanksgiving dinner. It had to be at my parents' home and cooked by my Mom. So I was over 40 before I cooked my first turkey. I had helped my Mom often enough to know about the stuff inside though.

Enjoy your Copics. I love mine. I sure would like that book though. I can never have too much instruction and ideas.

I am also so pleased and blessed that I won something. Looking forward to getting my goodies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beestamper View Post
Happy Thanksgiving to ALL! I miss our chatting. I'm looking forward to some cooking and stamping - but mostly the stamping . We alternate between my hubby's family and mine. This year we will stay here and have dinner with his big family (26 in all). I have been assigned dessert. I'm going to make my mother's fabulous carrot cake and a chocolate mint silk torte. When we go to my folks', my mother won't let anyone in the kitchen. I've only ever cooked a turkey once in my 40 years. And then, I was a new bride and wanted to impress my dh's family. I didn't know there was stuff up inside of the turkey!! His mother was so gracious. She pulled that stuff out (after it cooked), threw it in the trash and said, "Well, we just won't tell anyone about that and winked at me." I knew right then and there I belonged in this family.

Which reminds me, I need to go back through the thread and copy all of the wonderful recipes you all shared.

I picked out the Copics for my prize - a skin tone set and the sky and sea set. Looking forward to getting them and trying them out. Can't wait to get the book too! I am so intimidated by markers.

I still can't believe I won a prize. I feel very blessed, but even more so by sharing my passion for crafting with all of you.

Have a blessed day.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:41 PM   #6189
neglecting the kids and housework

Hello all. Happy Thanksgiving (it's still Thursday here ) to all.
I got a phone call yesterday around 4 from work. They changed my schedule. So now with very little notice I'm working in about an hour HA! I've been up since 8 cooking, had a house full of people (15) and took a 30 minute nap around 7. Originally I wasn't scheduled to work until tomorrow afternoon. Oh well I can sleep...someday.

We'll go get a tree Saturday morning and have it up and decorated by the afternoon. Not sure about the rest of the house. That in itself might wipe me out and I'm scheduled for work again Sunday.

Uh let's see...Oh I spent some time this morning on Crafty Secrets website and picks out my prizes. I'll need to email them tomorrow. Uhh since I work tonight DH can't go out and enjoy the Black Friday madness. Ahhhh I made a really good sharp cheddar and bacon spread and there's enough left for me to enjoy later this week.

Yeah tha'ts about it for me. Just trying to stay awake. Hope you all had a wonderful day full of whatever you did to celebrate or relax. (((hugs)))
Old 11-24-2011, 10:13 PM   #6190
Stampin' Fool

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beestamper View Post
I've only ever cooked a turkey once in my 40 years. And then, I was a new bride and wanted to impress my dh's family. I didn't know there was stuff up inside of the turkey!! His mother was so gracious. She pulled that stuff out (after it cooked), threw it in the trash
I did that, too!
I knew there was a bag inside ... but I didn't know there was two!
I was so grossed out taking the bag out that I wore rubber gloves and used tongs. That was the first and last turkey I've ever fixed. LOL

Maybe I'll cook next year. My mom always insists, but it gets harder and harder for her each year, especially now since medical complications meant she had to give up her Naproxen, which she took for her arthritis.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:14 PM   #6191
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

I just went shopping with my prize at The Cat's Pajamas! I love that the Black Friday special let it stretch a little further. I let my daughter pick out a set too, since she did 9 of the challenges of her own initiative, and was as rapt as I was at the prize winners list. Adding to the mountain of stress-shopping and I-need-to-get-that-while-it's-on-sale packages waiting for me in FL!

If you hear a voice within you say you cannot paint,
then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.
Vincent Van Gogh

Old 11-24-2011, 10:19 PM   #6192
Stampin' Fool

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH in VA View Post
But the last real tree we had dripped sap everywhere - on the ornaments and presents and tree skirt - so I finally caved and we've been using an artificial tree since then.
I've used an artificial tree for more than 25 years. One year, my then-hubby insisted we needed a real one. It was sappy (not as bad as yours, though), dry (despite cutting the base and keeping it in water) and messy. Worse ... the branches weren't strong enough to hold my beautiful Hallmark ornament.

Now, if I want to smell a tree, I buy a few branches, tie them together and use them as a decoration on the fireplace mantel ... or I spritz some of that artificial evergreen spray in the room. LOL
Old 11-25-2011, 06:36 AM   #6193
Watercolor Wizard

Good morning ladies! I got my email from Crafty Secrets, went to their site, and am confused about what is what. Think I'll need to give them a call. Some of the items they say I won I can't seem to find on the website! I've never shopped with them so that may be part of my confusion.

We had a great Thanksgiving dinner, attempted to go to Walmart when the sales started at 10, and drove through the lot and left. I've never seen so many cars there ever! The lot was packed and people were parking in out lots and walking over to the store! I may venture out in a bit and see if there are any more great deals out there!

Have a great day ladies!
Old 11-25-2011, 08:22 AM   #6194
VSN Coordinator
Dirty Spy Hostess

We had a nice, small Thanksgiving with hubby's folks and one sibling yesterday. Today is just rest and relax and stamp and bake at home! Tomorrow is a big Thanksgiving up at one of my SIL's with hubby's folks and LOTS of the siblings/kids/etc! No Black Friday shopping for me except online!

Stamp TV!
Old 11-25-2011, 11:10 AM   #6195
Watercolor Wizard

Eeek! I haven't receive notice from ODBD or Spellbinders yet. I wonder if I should just continue being patient. (Not my strong suit...)
Old 11-25-2011, 11:26 AM   #6196
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greywolf View Post
Eeek! I haven't receive notice from ODBD or Spellbinders yet. I wonder if I should just continue being patient. (Not my strong suit...)
I think I read somewhere they were getting ready to notify the sponsors, Tues or Wed of this past week, only a few days ago. With the big holiday/family/shopping weekend keeping everyone busy, I'm not expecting to hear anything before Dec 1.

Breathe, breathe ....
Old 11-25-2011, 11:37 AM   #6197
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
I haven't received notice from Justrite either, but I figured they were busy with Black Friday and Cyber Monday shoppers. In the meanwhile, I just "window" shop.
Proud Fan Club Member
Proud MMTPTCC Member
Old 11-25-2011, 01:22 PM   #6198
Watercolor Wizard

Oh, good. I wasn't expecting to hear this soon either, but then I saw that a few had heard and I started to panic. I'm okay again now. ::breathing:: Thanks for your replies Broom & Patiak.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:57 PM   #6199
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
SCS Gallery Moderator

Quote:
I'm not sure if you would actually hear from Spellbinders unless they give you a tracking number, given the higher value of the package. I know when I won stamps from Unity and Verve in the past, they just arrived .
Old 11-26-2011, 07:17 AM   #6200
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
I'm not sure if you would actually hear from Spellbinders unless they give you a tracking number, given the higher value of the package. I know when I won stamps from Unity and Verve in the past, they just arrived .
I was thinking that Spellbinders might just send my goodies to me also. However, part of the package is a few Edgeabilities. I don't know if they are going to let me choose from the six or just send me an assortment. Either way is fine. I'm really looking forward to playing with it all. I'm so thankful to ODBD and Spellbinders and all the other vendors for being so generous.