Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2011, 07:26 PM   #4561
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaxsix View Post
Still working on the mountains of laundry so I'm rewarding myself with a short break.
Happily married for 28 years....6 kids and blessings too numerous to count. He is a good husband, a good dad, and now a really good pastor to our church. Yep, they make a lot of laundry and eat a lot of food, but ya gotta love'em!
Seriously though ladies, it is good to be content with whatever your situation is and that's what I'm hearing from you ladies Times are rough for a lot of people and to be able to be thankful is a gift!
So true. That's what Paul taught - to be content in whatever situation we're in.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 11-15-2011, 07:33 PM   #4562
Stazon Splitcoast

Good night ladies! One more basket to fold then I'm off to bed...oh shoot, I just heard the dryer go off; make that 2 loads to fold. Really I could stay up for a few more hours and not be done...not that laundry is ever, truly done!

Stamping for my Sanity's Sake!

Romans 8:28-29
I finally have a blog! Click here to check it out.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:34 PM   #4563
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafty Math Chick View Post
Maybe it is just because you are going to win one of the BIG BIG prizes!
Wouldn't that be DA BOMB!
QFTD52
FS318
You Can Do It Challenge
HYCCT2013
Old 11-15-2011, 07:34 PM   #4564
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaxsix View Post
Good night ladies! One more basket to fold then I'm off to bed...oh shoot, I just heard the dryer go off; make that 2 loads to fold. Really I could stay up for a few more hours and not be done...not that laundry is ever, truly done!
I'm with you...never done...and I only have my own to do.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:38 PM   #4565
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampnsk8r View Post
see your 60 and raise to 75
That's what I'm reaching for next year as my goal of making 75 cards.
QFTD52
FS318
You Can Do It Challenge
HYCCT2013
Old 11-15-2011, 07:39 PM   #4566
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamp300 View Post
That's what I'm reaching for next year as my goal of making 75 cards.
I have a few cards already on hand...I'm working on craft fair inventory...75 would be easy to come up with lol
Old 11-15-2011, 07:39 PM   #4567
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greywolf View Post
So true. That's what Paul taught - to be content in whatever situation we're in.
Val, will you be my mommy too?

If you hear a voice within you say you cannot paint,
then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.
Vincent Van Gogh

Old 11-15-2011, 07:41 PM   #4568
Stazon Splitcoast

For the HYCCT challenge next year is my goal of 75, it's just hard when you don't know what the challenge will be before hand...I'm going to make 50 Christmas cards in a few days, people ask me all the time why I don't do craft shows...one, I need to build inventory...two, I work 48hrs a/wk & actually trying to cut back on that. (my boss says I'm a workaholic) three ....it's hard sometimes with 2 little girls. I make cards & keep making my quilts & tote bags, little extra money for me for buying for stamping stuff.
QFTD52
FS318
You Can Do It Challenge
HYCCT2013
Old 11-15-2011, 07:46 PM   #4569
Stazon Splitcoast

Just out of curiosity, I have an extra new CB Swirls ef if anyone is interested. I'll send it to you FREE if someone pm's me.
QFTD52
FS318
You Can Do It Challenge
HYCCT2013
Old 11-15-2011, 08:02 PM   #4570
Insane Embellisher

ok...Loved the ending of NCIS...DiNozzo and Gibbs make the whole show. I'm heading to bed now...dreaming of the perfect man...one that cooks, cleans, organizes my craft space, builds shelves, and cleans my car...I don't think I want him for anything thing else...ok...maybe one other thing...but that's it.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:11 PM   #4571
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampnsk8r View Post
ok...Loved the ending of NCIS...DiNozzo and Gibbs make the whole show. I'm heading to bed now...dreaming of the perfect man...one that cooks, cleans, organizes my craft space, builds shelves, and cleans my car...I don't think I want him for anything thing else...ok...maybe one other thing...but that's it.
OK...My DH & I have been married for 13.5yrs now. He does all the cooking & prefers it that way. Before kids, he would help me cut & press my strips for me while I sew & make quilts. It's rarely he'll do laundry, but he'll fill my gas tank up when I need it. I built all my quilt racks in my town home, now I'm trying to get him to build my stamping area & make it all nice & instead of using iris carts.
QFTD52
FS318
You Can Do It Challenge
HYCCT2013
Old 11-15-2011, 08:46 PM   #4572
Die Cut Diva

Question

Not at all related to the current discussion, but since so many of you have kids...

My friends and I are heading to Toys R Us Saturday to do some shopping for Toys for Tots. It's a win win - we get to go play with toys and have fun picking stuff out, and then the toys are donated to the Salvation Army to distribute them. Of the 7 of us, only one couple has a kid, and she's only 10 months so I'm looking for real life parent advice!

Does anyone have any toy-buying advice? Get stuff for toddlers, get things for adolescents, get games/books/things that don't require batteries, buy batteries anyway, what's trendy, what do your kids love, etc.! Anything to help me shop! Last year we just had fun putting together a theme package of toys, but this year I'd like to go in with some suggestions, as Toys R Us can be overwhelming to someone who only goes once a year. I also don't have a lot of money to spend (but will gladly help the 6 others spend theirs!) so what toys are the best bang for my frugal buck?

Feel free to PM me if you prefer...who knows where the topics in this thread will go tomorrow once more prizes get handed out!

Thanks!
Old 11-15-2011, 09:12 PM   #4573
Stampin' Fool

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamp300 View Post
OK...My DH & I have been married for 13.5yrs now. He does all the cooking & prefers it that way. Before kids, he would help me cut & press my strips for me while I sew & make quilts.
Wow! You've got a keeper! How amazing that he even cuts and irons. I might have held off on the kids until he started sewing, too. LOL

My ex-hubby wasn't at all helpful around the house. A year or two after our divorce, he called me to say that he learned how to make spaghetti. Of course, he also added that he was making it for his new girlfriend, which kind of ticked me off. Why did he start being domestic AFTER our 13 years together ended?
Old 11-15-2011, 09:24 PM   #4574
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makalah View Post
My friends and I are heading to Toys R Us Saturday to do some shopping for Toys for Tots. . . . Does anyone have any toy-buying advice? Get stuff for toddlers, get things for adolescents ...
I'm not sure how Toys for Tots work, age wise that is. I do know that many gift programs have problems getting items for teens.

Sure, their wants are a lot more expensive--name-brand shoes and clothes, video games, skateboards, etc. I compromise. I usually buy an affordable watch, something with a stopwatch for a boy or something blingy or with a Disney character for a girl.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:09 AM   #4575
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Tickle a Teapotter Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdoyle8 View Post
My book club is reading The Art of Racing in the Rain this month. Last month, we read The Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet - we all enjoyed that one.
I enjoyed that too, as did DH and MIL. But when I was looking on Amazon there were a whole bunch of pretty poor reviews which surprised me.
The Glass House - that was one powerful book - it makes me angry to read that parents can be like that, though. Same when I read a biography of Judy Garland recently.
I'd recommend Piano Shop on the Left Bank to almost anybody - most people who've borrowed it from us have then bought their own . It came out under a couple of similar titles, but it's the only book by Thad Carhart.
Guersney Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society is another good one, and not just because I worked in Guernsey for a while.

I was planning to make peanut butter cookies today but after all that chocolate talk I think perhaps it will be brownies instead.

24 years married, DH is one of those craft-supportive guys. He even makes cards for me for Christmas, b'day IF he doesn't leave it too late. He does all the dishes too, irons his own clothes (mine are mostly non-iron, LOL) and rarely fails to say thank you for feeding him in the manner to which he has grown accustomed. But he's not a DIY-er, and I was spoiled on that front by my dad who could do ANYTHING.

@Makalah on the toys - I don't think batteries are ever a problem really. I try to take pity on parents and not buy super-noisy toys, though. I'm a big fan of books for gifts - I usually give books at Christmas when there are so many toys around for starters, and then give non-book gifts for birthdays.
SCS Photo Challenge #201 ~Vacation Favourites
Ways to Use It : Thursday Challenge ~Stencil It
Techniques ~ Monday is Technique Time - TLC499: Tape It Off
Old 11-16-2011, 03:42 AM   #4576
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess & DSS Moderator

My kids love Lego sets! Most of the items on my 8 year old boy's wish list is lego.

Although, my 12 year old now has an I pod touch and now his younger sibs all want one. I said,"When you're 12!"

My daughter who is 11 now wants a new desk chair for her room. A "claw" machine. ... Probably b/c she thinks she can milk her brothers and neighborhood kids for money at a chance for a prize! haha

It's hard to say what kids are wanting these days. I did see the "it game" for the season the other day online...it's a pooping dog. I believe the game is a preschool game. So...with that...good luck! haha

Follow the Free 4 All challenge board on Pinterest!
Old 11-16-2011, 03:50 AM   #4577
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
SCS Gallery Moderator

Yes - I think Lego is great. We always used to get a big set at Christmas to share between us, with $ from my great-aunts in Canada. I had an 8-year old visitor happily playing with my Duplo (relic of child-minding days) at the weekend, and his older teen brother still plays with it too, I was told, but I think Lego is a safer bet .
Old 11-16-2011, 04:23 AM   #4578
VSN Coordinator
Dirty Spy Hostess

Send a message via Yahoo to LuvLee

Hey peeps!

Books.....I really enjoy the classics and happy ever after books.....I really can't "go there" with realistic or sad type stories....too much of that in life!

Hubby and I celebrated 22 years of marriage in June! Yep...I was a June bride! He is and always will be my Prince Charming who rescued me! He's a wonderful man and the best Daddy ever! He spoils me rotten too.....I don't know what I ever did to deserve him....but whatever it was I'm so glad!

I plan to make some cards to submit today....I need to try that much more than I have! So hopefully the creativity flows after I get some caffeine in me....today is one of my "caffeine days"!! Yippppeeeee!!!!!!!!

~ Proud Fan Club Member! ~
Gina K. Designs DT Coordinator
My Blog: My Reality...It's All Good!
Stamp TV!
Old 11-16-2011, 04:30 AM   #4579
Watercolor Wizard

Good morning ladies! It's cool and crisp in my little corner of the world this morning. A taste of what's to come! We don't have snow yet but I'm kind of looking forward to it. It's so dark this time of year (and still gettting darker - won't turn around for over a month) snow actually brightens things up.

No plans for today. My intention was to keep up with the daily challenges and that's not happening. The VSN kind of got in the way of that!

Have a great day ladies!
Old 11-16-2011, 04:44 AM   #4580
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
SCS Gallery Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvLee View Post
Hey peeps!

Books.....I really enjoy the classics and happy ever after books.....I really can't "go there" with realistic or sad type stories....too much of that in life!

Hubby and I celebrated 22 years of marriage in June! Yep...I was a June bride! He is and always will be my Prince Charming who rescued me! He's a wonderful man and the best Daddy ever! He spoils me rotten too.....I don't know what I ever did to deserve him....but whatever it was I'm so glad!

I plan to make some cards to submit today....I need to try that much more than I have! So hopefully the creativity flows after I get some caffeine in me....today is one of my "caffeine days"!! Yippppeeeee!!!!!!!!

I was a June bride too - but it poured rain almost all day! At least it wasn't so bad as my brother, who was a Decmeber wedding. For starters, the sexton or whatever had forgotten to open the church, so we were all outside getting colder and colder, and then there was no heating in the church either. At least it was a short service and not far to the reception!!
Enjoy your caffeine .
Old 11-16-2011, 06:12 AM   #4581
Crafting. Procrastinating. Caffeinating.

Hello strangers! Having a new baby around has been wearing me out more now that we're on the go a lot more often. She's very sweet, though.

I am shocked and thrilled that I won a prize this year considering the small number of cards I made and even smaller number that got uploaded before the deadline!

Hope everyone is doing well. Y'all are too chatty for me to catch up!

Gallery Blog

Relax, nothing is under control.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:24 AM   #4582
Duchess of CBCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makalah View Post
Not at all related to the current discussion, but since so many of you have kids...

My friends and I are heading to Toys R Us Saturday to do some shopping for Toys for Tots. It's a win win - we get to go play with toys and have fun picking stuff out, and then the toys are donated to the Salvation Army to distribute them. Of the 7 of us, only one couple has a kid, and she's only 10 months so I'm looking for real life parent advice!

Does anyone have any toy-buying advice? Get stuff for toddlers, get things for adolescents, get games/books/things that don't require batteries, buy batteries anyway, what's trendy, what do your kids love, etc.! Anything to help me shop! Last year we just had fun putting together a theme package of toys, but this year I'd like to go in with some suggestions, as Toys R Us can be overwhelming to someone who only goes once a year. I also don't have a lot of money to spend (but will gladly help the 6 others spend theirs!) so what toys are the best bang for my frugal buck?

Feel free to PM me if you prefer...who knows where the topics in this thread will go tomorrow once more prizes get handed out!

Thanks!
My .02 cents -- avoid the toys that need batteries. They might be truly annoying! If you get any of the Thomas or Cars engines/cars.. try to make sure they are compatible with the wooden tracks (most are). I think books are always a good idea...some kids might not agree.

Barbie is always popular. For the younger set, the dolls that are the disney princesses as babies seem to very popular.

I think board games are excellent because it also encourages socialization and learning how to win and lose (something my daughter needs to work on )

Strawberry Shortcake is pretty popular right now as well. The girls love the "smelly" hair...

For the boys... transformers, anything Cars (especially Mater and Lightening McQueen), anything Toy Story.. (my son loves ANYTHING that has Woody or Buzz Lightyear)

Anyway.. that's my .02
Old 11-16-2011, 07:25 AM   #4583
Duchess of CBCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrslaird View Post
Hello strangers! Having a new baby around has been wearing me out more now that we're on the go a lot more often. She's very sweet, though.

I am shocked and thrilled that I won a prize this year considering the small number of cards I made and even smaller number that got uploaded before the deadline!

Hope everyone is doing well. Y'all are too chatty for me to catch up!
Look at that sweet little baby!!!!! Mine used to be that small....
Old 11-16-2011, 07:29 AM   #4584
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
SCS Gallery Moderator

Hi Paula - nice to see you here .
Old 11-16-2011, 07:31 AM   #4585
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

haha y'all had some fun last night after I ran off to kill bugs!!!

My Gallery |My Blog | My Store
Love Splitcoast?
Help us love our volunteers by shopping at Amazon

Old 11-16-2011, 07:41 AM   #4586
Kookie Creator

*shuddder* eeek bugs.... hope they be gone now Lydia...

are you coming out to play now *smiles sweetly between yawns*
Old 11-16-2011, 07:50 AM   #4587
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
SCS Gallery Moderator

I think the newest release of FF is a bit buggy , just after I'd been having no problems for a long time.
What time is it for you, Ros?
Nearly 5 here, dark, raining, miserable.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:54 AM   #4588
Kookie Creator

Sabrina its coming up to 1 am .... and will head to bed now.... but had to come and look and see if Lydia is playing LOL

I'll dream about you all chit chatting during the day...
Old 11-16-2011, 08:07 AM   #4589
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Hey peeps!

Morning everyone!
I was a June bride too, but we didn't have the big dream foofy wedding, just a civil ceremony at the Justice of the Peace at city hall. What's that song from Seven Brides for Seven Brothers? "When you are married in June, you will always be a bride"?

Have some challenges to check out before I do some tutoring today, have to earn those crafting dollars!
Old 11-16-2011, 08:07 AM   #4590
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
SCS Gallery Moderator

1 am - that's definitely well after pumpkin time for me!! Sleep tight .
Old 11-16-2011, 08:10 AM   #4591
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
SCS Gallery Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafty Math Chick View Post
Morning everyone!
I was a June bride too, but we didn't have the big dream foofy wedding, just a civil ceremony at the Justice of the Peace at city hall. What's that song from Seven Brides for Seven Brothers? "When you are married in June, you will always be a bride"?
I know the big dream wedding with fancy dress and a dozen bridesmaids is what some people really want, but we were the same as you, just a civil ceremony. And man, I was glad I was working in the UK at the time and it was DH who had to resist all the pressure to have a "proper" wedding. Even people who had agreed in principle beforehand and knew that I wasn't up for all that fuss and bother, never mind the expense, were asking him was he sure it was what I wanted.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:44 AM   #4592
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Boy, I hear ya!
I tend to steer clear of biographies just for that reason. Oddly enough, I don't mind that stuff if it's fiction. I enjoy a really good serial killer story if it's not gory.

But I really would recommend "The Glass Castle". Parts of it will make you angry at the parents and yet, there is a real uplifting, motivating experience you'll get reading this book.

BTW ... for those of you who love to read, but have little money to spend, you might want to check out: Join the Club and Swap Books for Free! - PaperBackSwap.com This is where I get all my books!
Old 11-16-2011, 08:51 AM   #4593
Swapper of the Month - September 2013

I whole heartedly second The Glass Castle recommend. Thought provoking and not a "poor me" book. She writes with compassion and tenderness where most people would whine and complain.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:28 AM   #4594
Stazon Splitcoast

Does anyone know what time the prizes are starting up again. I'm trying to plan my day So far, we've done some school and I squeezed in a card, but I really need to do some raking while the sun is shining today!

Old 11-16-2011, 09:35 AM   #4595
VSN Coordinator
Dirty Spy Hostess

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa59 View Post
Boy, I hear ya!
I tend to steer clear of biographies just for that reason. Oddly enough, I don't mind that stuff if it's fiction. I enjoy a really good serial killer story if it's not gory.

But I really would recommend "The Glass Castle". Parts of it will make you angry at the parents and yet, there is a real uplifting, motivating experience you'll get reading this book.

BTW ... for those of you who love to read, but have little money to spend, you might want to check out: Join the Club and Swap Books for Free! - PaperBackSwap.com This is where I get all my books!

Because of my own childhood I REALLY can't do books with storylines about parent issues. Now I don't mind a good murder mystery! I'm also on Paperback Swap!!

Stamp TV!
Old 11-16-2011, 09:39 AM   #4596
Stazon Splitcoast

I was a June bride too. We were married on June 14th which is also Flag Day. Very easy to remember for my DH.
QFTD52
FS318
You Can Do It Challenge
HYCCT2013
Old 11-16-2011, 10:03 AM   #4597
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dini View Post
Val, will you be my mommy too?
Oh, Dini! Sorry I missed this post last night. But YES! I'll gladly be your Mommy too.

Let's see ... My daughters are Jeanette, Lee, Meredith and Dini. How nice!
Old 11-16-2011, 10:03 AM   #4598
Stazon Splitcoast

I haunt thrift stores and library book salesfor books, but where I often find the more recent novels is at my parent's condo. There building has a party room that people can use when their families visit or for a meeting or party. They have shelves up there and people drop off books, audio books, DVDs and VHS movies that they're done with. Everyone is able to take and use what they want. To keep it fresh, they donate books to the library book sales every once in a while to make room for new donations. I'm always checking out from their lending library when I'm in town and I keep a bag stashed in my room of books to give back or to donate myself!

Old 11-16-2011, 10:09 AM   #4599
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
SCS Gallery Moderator

The library has been a life-saver for me since I stopped being able to afford/having enough space for all the books I want. Now I can buy the ones I REALLY want and still get plenty to read.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:14 AM   #4600
VSN Coordinator
Dirty Spy Hostess

Oh and you know what's fun? I can check out books from the library via my Kindle!

Stamp TV!