Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-17-2012, 06:15 PM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 595 Likes on 369 Posts
Default S2S Challenge 2013

S2S Challenge 2013
A list of challenges is on post 41

Kelly has done such an amazing job of challenging all of us to use what we have and minimize our spending. I am just going to copy her opening encouragement to us from last year.
I know from experience how difficult it is to use up what we have before purchasing something new. Two things are usually behind it...
1) new toys hit the market. Oooo!... shiny things!
2) it's much easier to buy more than dig through the stash for what we want/need.

We're starting off a new year with a new perspective. Let's declutter, decide what we want to keep, donate the rest and clear the deck for all new STAMPING/ SCRAPPING/ CREATIVE FUN!

REMEMBER: There are NO SET RULES. This is all about helping you be more aware of your spend -to-use ratio.

THE CONCEPT:
Determine how much you want to PAY yourself for the following:
(These are just examples. Brainstorm what works for you)

How much will you pay yourself for:
1 double pg LO
5 cards (basic matting/ embossing/ embellishment)
5 ATCs
1 Altered Item
1 Premium Item (think explosion cards or intricate items)
1 Challenge (there are a lot of great threads on this Forum)
1 VSN event
1 Meet-Up event
1 Updated Creative Blog Post
1 Gallery Upload (this is one DAY - not Item. You upload Mon - Fri. you
get 5 credits.)
Participating/ completing a swap or RAK

Some people also pay themselves for non-stamping items (things they need a little extra incentive for)

1) working out
2) losing a pound
3) eliminating a bad habit (credit per day)
4) for each book read

How will you keep track? Last year I (Kelly) decorated a blank check register. I got credit for an 'altered item' this way. hehe I keep it on my work surface so when I'm done at the end of the day I can notate my 'deposit'. I also make sure all 'expenses' get deducted when I've been shopping.

Some people have designed Excel sheets to keep track on their computer.
It's up to you whether you carry the totals over from last year or not.
Every week, I will be posting a challenge to get you inspired and get your creative juices flowing.
Let's keep the RED out of our check register and on our projects for 2013!

Last edited by yellowrose46; 02-11-2013 at 04:53 AM.. Reason: Adding a post number
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2012, 06:28 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,973 Likes on 1,490 Posts

Found you! How do you do this when you aren't even home? You are just good!
I will do this again this year. It keeps me on my toes. It makes me think, before I spend.
Thank you Ina for doing it.

Sharon
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2012, 08:08 PM   #3  
Forum Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was shocked at how much I spent in 2012. What I spent could have paid off half a medical bill. I'm going to do my best to keep the spending down and using what I have in 2013. That's going to be easier said than done, though. I do have to replenish my stash of cardstock. But I'll do that slowly. I still have some retired colors to use up. I try to use that stash of cs before I get into the rest so it is dwindling some. A lot of it is getting to be just scraps.

Ina, thanks for keeping this going this year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2012, 08:43 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts

Ina thank you for keeping this going for us!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2012, 03:17 AM   #5  
Kookie Creator

Hello Ina. Yes, I will join in here too please!

I know I haven't said much this past year, and I know next year will be very busy too ( I am currently in Brisbane with my MIL for Cmas and she has to have a knee replacement in feb. so DS ken and I will come up to look after her as she recovers. ...the year is already filling up! Also, in making cards for our Christmas carols craft stall at church I found that my legs do not really cope well with sitting still at my craft table for long anymore. Gives me a lot of pain. So it seems I am learning balance, whether I want to or not! .....

So I will still be stamping, just not as much as previously, but I still find keeping in touch with this forum is encouraging and reassuring and helps me hold a bit of perspective, ESP when new cattys come out!

So I would love to hang on, I know I would miss you guys terribly if you didn't keep popping up in my inbox!!! Just don't give up on me yet!

....and the craft stall? I didn't know how much to make...so I made about 25 cards and 30+ gift tags. Many gift tags sold, only a few cards though, I so now I have lots for me to use! Yeah! At least the work will go to good use! So much for the CCC I made them all in this last week! LOL!!! It was a good plan though!

Thanks guys, love to all of you. And hoping to share lots of good times with you n the coming year. .....my character trait I want to work n next year is JOY. To be more joyful, to share joy and to make sure to celebrate occasions better. Surely some lovely personal cards will be an important part of that! It is so nice to know i can just walk into my stamp space and whip something up pretty quickly.

Love from hot humid Brisbane.
Steph
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2012, 04:43 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by smadsonView Post
Found you! How do you do this when you aren't even home? You are just good!
I will do this again this year. It keeps me on my toes. It makes me think, before I spend.
Thank you Ina for doing it.

Sharon
I've got my little laptop with me.......some people call it a notebook. and I have lots of spare time on my hands here. Today and tomorrow I am without a car too. My son is at work, the boys are in school and my son's girlfriend keeps her little boy well occupied, although I do spend time with him (a cute little 23 month old)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2012, 04:46 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Welcome back....Sharon, Debbie, Angie and Stephanie! It's going to be a good year! And I am (with capitals! AM!) going to get my craft room and dining room cleaned up and organized this year!! You've been to my place Stephanie, and you know what a humongous job that will be.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2012, 01:30 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 3,392 Likes on 1,169 Posts

Count me in again Ina, I feel I have made so many new friends this year, it's been great, I can't say it's stopped me spending less but at least it's made me think about using stash and not to waste off cuts of card, I just save them for die cutting, I've finished in credit too which is brilliant.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2012, 04:03 AM   #9  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by yellowrose46View Post
Welcome back....Sharon, Debbie, Angie and Stephanie! It's going to be a good year! And I am (with capitals! AM!) going to get my craft room and dining room cleaned up and organized this year!! You've been to my place Stephanie, and you know what a humongous job that will be.
Hey, Ina! I will cheer you on the whole way!!! I am a great one for imagining and dreaming and seeing the reality before it is there. So KEEP on visioning it gal! You will get there! If it was me? I would start with boxes -i.e. one for EF's, one for dies, one for single stamps, stamps to go in sets etc. then the first bit will just be chucking in the box! . That may be an easy way to get started and see some definite progress! Your house has such a lovely atmosphere and feel to it, it is a lovely place to be in. ... And maybe do as "fly lady" recommends (apparently, as I don't follow it, but many of my friends do!) -start with just 15 minutes per day. ...maybe think of it as mid-card exercise! Thinking of your place makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, and hey, I didn't even get around to stamping in it!!!

Me, I need to do it too in my space, it's small but man it's a mess! And all my Norwex stuff is n the same place so it's all rather ......mmm, full!

Jeepers, I do love to be on holidays and get onto the forum here, oh, so very nice.

We aren't totally on holiday, ken is doing some intensive eye therapy at the moment and that is still going. But the reading is really starting to happen!!!!! It tis so very exciting! He even read a verse out of my Bible on the iPad tonight. Warms my heart! It is such a long road, it is so nice to see it coming to fruition.

All for now, love to all.
S.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2012, 09:49 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 171 Likes on 121 Posts

I'm here :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2012, 09:52 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I've got my little laptop with me.......some people call it a notebook. and I have lots of spare time on my hands here. Today and tomorrow I am without a car too. My son is at work, the boys are in school and my son's girlfriend keeps her little boy well occupied, although I do spend time with him (a cute little 23 month old)
Bob got me a Gateway Netbook for Christmas. I love being able to drop it in my purse. Came in handy yesterday while I was out reporting on 3 stories.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2012, 10:21 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Kelly, that's what I have.....a Gateway netbook. I love the portability.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2012, 11:32 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,973 Likes on 1,490 Posts

I just got a Mini Ipad. I wnated a kindel for my birtday, but my son in law told me to wait for the minis to come out, so I did. Just got it last week, but don't know much about it yet. He and my grandson will be here at Christmas to help me get it all set up. But that is what I will like about it, is being able to put it in my purse and go. When I went on trips, the laptop was just too bulky to take, although I did take it a couple of times on the airplane, but that counts as a personal item. Now I can put my mini in my purse! Anyway, can't wait till they come. I was able to download the Kindle ap and then check out library books! Even, got a scrapbook book on there!
Too much yakking! Sorry!

Sharon
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2012, 07:12 PM   #14  
Forum Fanatic

I asked for a Kindle Fire or a mini iPad for Christmas. I would prefer the mini iPad, though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2012, 11:19 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Kelly, that's what I have.....a Gateway netbook. I love the portability.
I'm still needing to put some of my writing programs on there. I don't like the Microsoft Word version that's on there. I like the simplicity of '98 LOL Not sure I can save it to a thumb then override onto the netbook though :-(

The other is my quickplot program. It's an outlining program for writers.

I did go to the quilt store yesterday and found the perfect fabric for the case for it. She had just gotten them collection in ... so I got the 20% discount for being 'uninventoried'. I love getting in there at just the right time LOL.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2012, 11:23 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Stephanie, that is such wonderful news about Ken. I know you've worked so very hard to get him to this point. I think his love of books will help him progress rapidly as he is able to comprehend the potential. Will keep him in my prayers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2012, 11:25 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am thinking how DREADFUL my studio is right now. My GOAL for next week is to revamp it as far as I'm able. I want new shelving since it doesn't appear as if I'll be getting the ground level studio any time soon. But that will have to wait as we have a much bigger project in mind for 2013.

So in the mean time, I HAVE to get the studio/ writing spaces reorganized to be productive as the freelance is picking up and I can't even get to my files downstairs.

Productivity means $$$ so I need to get busy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2012, 07:01 PM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

Okay, I just "found" you guys in here... and this looks way more do-able to me than an cold turkey thread. I am a collector, granted I use alot of what I have but, going cold turkey would never work for me.

we ( hubs and I ) go to yard sales every week ( if there is one, there are not many in the winter here though) and stuff follows me home. :lol:
but, it's good stuff. mostly vintage things. once in a while its stamps.

last sunday when I finished my VSN cards I did start re-arranging my space ( we are putting in a tv and eventually a small sofa for hubs ) so I can be up there after work if I chose and can have company if he just wants to sit and watch the news...

today I got everything out of the closet. holy-moly I need to purge some things. ( which I'm working on, tossed some things too ) and have some donation piles going on.
I'm hoping to have this under control before the end of the year.

I have no clue how to "reward" myself doing something like this because, I do not have a problem buying things. ( everything I have is paid for) however. space is becoming an premium and I want to be a little more stream lined and maybe let go of somethings I've out grown and or do not use . ( like if you buy a "set" of stamps getting rid of the ones that have never seen ink that you cannot see your self using)

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2012, 11:35 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Stacy,

Perhaps for you, you're earning the "right" to purchase at your sales. For each card you make, thing you dispose of, stamp you finally ink, etc. you get "dollars" to spend at the yard and estate sales. Basically, you don't get to spend (even though you can afford to) unless you've earned it. "I made x cards and got rid of these things this week, so I can go ahead and buy that cool suitcase to keep my ribbon collection in" or whatever. Or, if you didn't do much and you've used up the "money" you earned in previous excursions, you have to pass. "I'd like it, but I didn't earn it."

A couple of years ago, we had a financially lean year. It was strange to feel like I couldn't afford this or that, but you know what? I didn't feel deprived at all. There were very few times that I couldn't do with what I had. The few things I ran out of, I bought without guilt because it was an obvious need. This year, I've more than made up for it spending wise and have made fewer cards than ever. Weirdness.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2012, 03:23 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Stacy, it is entirely up to you what value you put on anything. If you are getting rid of a stamp set, look at it and imagine how much you could sell a used stamp set for, and assign that value. However, if you actually sell it, just use the amount you received for it.
Chautona, I admire your restraint! I usually end up going in the hole....I don't actually 'earn' the money before I spend it and then end up trying to catch up. It's not strange at all that when you spend more money, you often make less cards. Time spent perusing galleries and store web sites, as well as actual shopping in person, takes away from card making time.
Glad to have you both on board for this coming year. I will be posting a challenge next week, to get the new year started. (inspiration challenge, not an organizational one)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2012, 05:43 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBgreendawnView Post
Okay, I just "found" you guys in here... and this looks way more do-able to me than an cold turkey thread. I am a collector, granted I use alot of what I have but, going cold turkey would never work for me.

we ( hubs and I ) go to yard sales every week ( if there is one, there are not many in the winter here though) and stuff follows me home. :lol:
but, it's good stuff. mostly vintage things. once in a while its stamps.

last sunday when I finished my VSN cards I did start re-arranging my space ( we are putting in a tv and eventually a small sofa for hubs ) so I can be up there after work if I chose and can have company if he just wants to sit and watch the news...

today I got everything out of the closet. holy-moly I need to purge some things. ( which I'm working on, tossed some things too ) and have some donation piles going on.
I'm hoping to have this under control before the end of the year.

I have no clue how to "reward" myself doing something like this because, I do not have a problem buying things. ( everything I have is paid for) however. space is becoming an premium and I want to be a little more stream lined and maybe let go of somethings I've out grown and or do not use . ( like if you buy a "set" of stamps getting rid of the ones that have never seen ink that you cannot see your self using)

Hey Stacy!
Welcome to our group. I am out-going chair and so looking forward to following Ina's lead in the new year.

In my purging/ cleaning next week I'm paying myself $7 an hour. I have 3 major trips coming up next year and need all the help I can get.
I've also determined that past my min. commitment to VikkiJo, I don't need a thing next year as far as supplies unless I run out of cardstock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2012, 05:45 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Chautona!

Welcome another writer to the group. I've been to your blog and signed up for your newsletter under my pen name, Angela Drake.

I need to update my blog tonight or tomorrow. You'll find me at The Writers Studio
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2012, 05:46 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Stacy, it is entirely up to you what value you put on anything. If you are getting rid of a stamp set, look at it and imagine how much you could sell a used stamp set for, and assign that value. However, if you actually sell it, just use the amount you received for it.
Chautona, I admire your restraint! I usually end up going in the hole....I don't actually 'earn' the money before I spend it and then end up trying to catch up. It's not strange at all that when you spend more money, you often make less cards. Time spent perusing galleries and store web sites, as well as actual shopping in person, takes away from card making time.
Glad to have you both on board for this coming year. I will be posting a challenge next week, to get the new year started. (inspiration challenge, not an organizational one)
Looking forward to your first challenge, Ina. I MIGHT have my worktable cleared off by then. hehe
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2012, 06:57 AM   #24  
Forum Fanatic

I better get my work space cleaned up before the challenge. Maybe this time, keep it clean for a little longer than a few minutes. Which reminds me, I have a couple gifts I need to make. I keep thinking I have another week.

Merry Christmas!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2012, 09:36 AM   #25  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

I hit the wrong button, after typing for a while... so, lets just say I have most the table cleared off now. still have a few more things to go in the closet, my metal paper rack is being altered at the moment by hubs and we got some lumbar yesterday ( pre-painted stuff) so all I should have to paint is the edges where the cut's show.) and its getting there.

not sure how much will get done today though.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2012, 11:20 AM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

YAY! Challenges.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2012, 11:20 AM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Angela! Nice to "meet" you. I'll be checking out your blog later. WOOHOO!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2012, 03:39 PM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

I signed up for your eReminders. I really need to get mine updated. Maybe I'll do that now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2012, 04:42 PM   #29  
Rubber Obsessor

I just found your thread and I'm so in. I am in sore need of restraint, but the cold turkey 100 cards in 100 days didn't work for me. The 100 card were easy, the 100 days of no shopping were hard. I have two monthly kits I get from Club Scrap and Simon Says Stamps. This way I can earn my monthly kits and if I work hard get extra stuff. Thank you so much for starting this and for keeping it going.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2012, 04:45 PM   #30  
Forum Fanatic

Welcome to the group, Debby. It sure did make me very aware of how much I was spending this year. I'm going to be ending the year in the red. I will start fresh next year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2012, 05:13 PM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

This thread is more about us becoming aware of how much spending we do and how many supplies and goodies we already have, and to encourage us to use what we have and also to organize ourselves (and our supplies). Even though my total shows I am in the black, I am actually ending the year in the red, as I just spent a fair bit of money when I was in Texas for 11 days. After all, Michael's had Christmas stamps for sale and Hobby Lobby had other stuff on sale, and on my way home, Buffalo Stamps and Stuff also had a sale on dies! Now I can't think of anything else I need (or want)!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2012, 06:50 PM   #32  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll be around again next year. This finally worked for me this year. I guess I am slow to change. I have a craft room overhaul looming in my near future. I received a gift card to Lowe's and a certificate of guaranteed help from my step-Dad. He can fix/make just about anything. With my step-Dad and my hubby (who's will work on anything as long as he has guidance), my craft room will be shaping up soon. As we were leaving on Christmas Day, my Mom told me to start sketching out my new room design!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2012, 11:55 PM   #33  
Kookie Creator

Hi, This sounds like a fun/useful thread, will join in and see how I go. Will be looking for ideas and help from those who've been here a while!

Ruth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2012, 05:19 AM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

Welcome Ruth! Hopefully you will find this thread helpful. If you have any questions....just ask. We're a friendly bunch here!
Toni, that's awesome! I bet you are excited. So good to get gift certificates to help out too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2012, 07:02 AM   #35  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

okay room is getting there, ended up shoving the last few baskets into the closet walk path because there is no other place for them. and I have found I *thought* I had 2 vintage suitcases full of vintage lace... and I do... but, the two empty faux Micheals cardboard suitcases are full of it too.

I think after I get to play again. ( which should be soon table is cleared off.) I need to sort through this lace, a lot of it was bought grab bag style because I seen something in the bag I liked... which means there is probably stuff I will never use in it. I'm thinking about adding a category to my etsy ( which is empty ) to let go of some of the vintage supplies I have collected. ( and or start getting it packed cute for the Mothers day booth) one or the other. I need to set aside a spot for things I don't want to keep either. but, its perfectly good stuff I've just out grown it. right now that's a pile on the floor to trip on.
all i have left to do is hubs is going to cut some boards to go across my newly cut in half paper rack because, he got me a big shot for Christmas and so I am going to take my bug and my other one to work and anyways the machine will have a place to park on top of the paper now. ( no more hauling a machine to the work space trying to make a spot bigger than 8 inches to hold it haha)
and I think I am going to get one more board for a second shelf in the closet to put all those baskets on.
and the stamp/ canning jar shelves need made.
so its close hopefully this weekend will be paint drip drying and things getting hung.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2012, 07:07 AM   #36  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

ps I'm about to make a trip 80+ miles one way today ( which I do several times a month for work) to a town with big craft stores... read about the good deals people were finding yesterday and I think I will go look at the store upstairs before I leave and just not go into those stores today. I really don't need something because it is a good deal...

the problem with this is, my good friend at work her birthday is the 15th of January and I usually get her crafty stuff that I find on sale here and there, but I gave her most of it for Christmas and planned on shopping for her. I have a real problem with that you know like if you join a swap... one for her (two for me) thing... :mrgreen:

ETA: it was 25mph there and 40 mph on the way home... so it made it over 2 hours both ways and there was no time to stop and shop... lucky me... ( or lucky debit card lol) I've been reading this thread in gs about ( last years spending results will find a link because, I know I mangled its real name) and they are saying... they saved money not shopping sales or trying to hit "free" shipping when buying online. ( makes sense)

link to that thread: This past year's money saving experiment by Barbara Jay at Splitcoaststampers

My Blog

Last edited by JBgreendawn; 12-27-2012 at 05:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2012, 07:01 AM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks so much for the link Stacy. Interesting reading. The goal there is the same as here on S2S....she just goes about it a little differently. But she's given me lots of ideas and things to think about.
I just realized that I did not save post #2 for the challenges, so I will put them on post # 41, which will be at the top of the second page.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2012, 09:39 AM   #38  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts

Hi! JCI and getting ready for the new year. A girl friend came over the day after Thanksgiving to get me started orgnizing my craft room. We cleared out everything that was on the floor and put it out on the sleeping porch. Vacummed, rearranged the furnature and vacummed again. Cleared the desk top so I can actually use it! I have my perpetual calendar updated and plan to spend the next few days off work putting away the stuff out on the sleeping porch. If I can't find a home for it, it is going in the box for the Rubber Rumage Sale my LLS has twice a year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2012, 09:47 AM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

Good for you Angie!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2012, 09:48 AM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

Bumping up to post 41
Reply With Quote Likes