View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013, 08:13 PM   #5282
muddy otter
Directionally Challenged Parrothead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmscoping View Post
have i mentioned how much i hate grading papers... ugh.
When I TA'd for Latin American history prof the system he suggested to us was to read a paragraph or two of each paper, then place it in the A, B or C pile. Grade the lowest pile first, then you wind up being hardest on the A pile. He said he was always hardest on the papers he graded last, and felt like that was the fairest thing to do for the students. It did make it go faster when I tried it. A few papers moved up or down a pile or two but for some reason he was right about it making the whole effort go more smoothly.

I never figured out why. I had one student who came in to my office hours sputtering about getting a B-plus but by the time we went through the comments, he said he got more out of his B-plus comments than he did out of other folks who'd given him higher grades. Prof did have us include English writing skills in the grades which really ticked a lot of the students off in a history class but I loved it that he told the class straight up that he did that.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!