View Single Post
Old 03-25-2013, 07:49 PM   #143
mother's daughter
Proud Fan Club Member

Being a former Postal employee, I know a little about the workings... They actually have a stamp that they use, that says, "found in supposedly empty equipment". Since my tickle hasn't made it to Australia yet, I'm thinking it's in a supposedly empty kangaroo pouch!

Once again, the machines that sort the mail can and do pick up two pieces at a time, if that happens, the back piece will go with the top one. Our postal service does forwards and change of addresses on the same type of machine, so if this top piece is a forward, the back piece may be sent to Timbukto!
Also very important to note, the USPS does very little by hand these days. If your piece is non machineable, aka lumpy bumpy, and it's in an envelope and it's a letter it will take longer. If it's a parcel, it will go a whole lot faster. More often than not, I'll use a padded envelope, as it will go faster, than in a envelope that is lumpy bumpy.
The processing center where I worked, no longer does the outgoing mail. The bad addresses and such all get done in a different area and they DO NOT CARE about the bad addresses. It is not cost effective.
I loved my job, but when they kept taking the human element out of the equation, it just kept getting worse. I may not have sorted the letters at the same rate, but I was a heck of a lot more reliable! Remember, the machine cannot think, they just react.

Now if that kangaroo would just dig a little deeper into it's pouch, Sue28 might get her tickle!

Have fun and be creative!

Jennifer

Last edited by mother's daughter; 03-27-2013 at 03:24 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!