Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-13-2013, 02:26 PM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seam binding ribbon

any suggestionswhere to buy seam binding ribbon best price? I teach classes, so want (at least) 10 yards each color - looking for help. thanks.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2013, 02:33 PM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have found seam binding on Amazon, but it is neutral and then I color it to match what I am doing. Just a suggestion in case you do not find what you are looking for.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2013, 03:05 PM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Strangely I was looking at seam binding in my local market today, some really pretty designs by the yard. But as I'm in the UK not a lot of use to you I'm afraid. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2013, 04:13 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts

The 100 yard rolls of Hug Snug seam binding that Amazon has (ca. $9 a roll) are a great deal. I've used the seam binding for years in sewing, and it's great for paper crafts. There are a variety of colors, but coloring the white with a Sharpie or whatever is an option.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2013, 06:52 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

Love my Hug Snug -I bought white from Zipperstop; fast shipping. I use my reinkers with Perfect Pearls to make a mist and dye it whatever color I want. And use the chisel end of my Copic Sketch markers so I have a perfect match with whatever color I'm using.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2013, 01:38 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

Default seam binding

I 2nd amazon hugsnug or whatever...they have lots of colors, fast and great service. I ordered the brown- but when it came it was almost black, so I wrote to them asking if there was a different brown I should have ordered as it was way darker than in the online pic., they sent me another roll of a "lighter" brown- no charge...fantastic customer service. Have ordered from them 3 times now. and I think its free shipping over 35.00 but not positive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2013, 07:49 AM   #7  
Embossing Fanatic

went to amazon - bought 4 rolls from zipperstop - am anxious to have it arrive so I can start creating - thanks for the info ladies
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2013, 06:09 AM   #8  
Embossing Fanatic

i love seam binding too i bought some on amazon, good stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2013, 04:23 AM   #9  
Glitter Queen

Default Seam Binding

I have not used seam binding. Is this used as ribbon?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2013, 04:39 AM   #10  
Cardstock Collector

I have a great deal of seam binding that I have purchased at auctions in lots of sewing notions. If you do not find a better source, I would be willing to sell you some.
Cindy in Illinois
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2013, 06:23 AM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How do you keep the edges from fraying? I bought a small amount off Etsy to try and I like the weight and drape of it, but it seems to fray like crazy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2013, 09:21 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 242 Likes on 130 Posts

Bought a bunch from Joann some time ago in the $1.00 bin. I did not know this meant they were discontinuing many colors. They do still sell some colors in packages, but can't tell you the price. The coupons are always nice for stuff like this. Mine doesn't seem to fray much, but for problems like that, I usually dip the end into a bit of white glue (just on the very end) and let it dry. Not the best solution, I know, but better than the "Fray Check" stuff, that while it works, seems to be messy to apply and doesn't look so good in the end.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2013, 09:29 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stampin' Up! of course. Great quality and colors and of course they match paper, ink and embellies. 10 yds on a spool. Don't know how it compares in price.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2013, 09:46 AM   #14  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
How do you keep the edges from fraying? I bought a small amount off Etsy to try and I like the weight and drape of it, but it seems to fray like crazy.
Cut it on the diagonal and not straight across. If you still have problems, use fray check, glossy accents or a dot of white glue on the very end. It just takes a tiny amount.
Video Tutorials
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2013, 11:56 AM   #15  
Glitter Guru

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2013, 12:53 PM   #16  
Cardstock Collector

Default Zipperstop is great to work with

I too found seam binding on Etsy. It was being sold by Zipperstop. I contacted them, and they allowed me to send them samples of SU! seam binding, and they sent back samples of what they felt would be the closest match. They weren't able to match all of them, and some were very close, but for the price of these 100 yard rolls and to use them in class, it's a great savings to me. I will also say that the SU! version has a tighter weave, but it's still a good trade off.
Here is a list of what I did buy:
Very Vanilla - Lt. Beige
Rose Red - Poise
Daffodil Delight - Forsythia
Crumb Cake - Rose Beige (color on this one is a little off, but I heard no complaints when I used it in class)
Cherry Cobbler - Medoc
Always Artichoke - Serbin Brown
They said they didn't have anything that was close to Pool Party or Baja Breeze, but I've seen other sites that have hundreds of colors, so there may be hope after all. Our demonstrator group got together and with several of us buying some, were were able to knock the price down even further.
I hope this was helpful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2013, 01:46 PM   #17  
Embossing Fanatic

Default more temptation

thanks for all the info re: seam binding ribbon - to user who asked about using it as ribbon, I guess they haven't tried stampin up's version. I was looking for less expensive option. received my zipperstop order today (have been out of town so it was waiting for me at post office). will see how it compares to stampin up's ribbon. appreciate the color info re: matching stampin up's colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2013, 05:52 PM   #18  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts

Quote:

Did you perhaps get bias seambinding, which has raw edges, normally pressed under? The whole point of seambinding is to keep the raw fabric of a hem in place without fraying. The ends will be raw, but cutting on the diagonal helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2013, 06:04 PM   #19  
Glitter Guru

No, it's regular seam binding, like the Hug Snug kind.

I thought I was cutting on the diagonal, but maybe I need to cut more on the diagonal.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2013, 04:22 PM   #20  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Bias binding aka bias tape and seam binding ribbon are very different. Bias binding can be used as a type of seam binding but seam binding is a technique, a way to enclose a raw edge to prevent fraying. Lots of people shorten seam binding ribbon to seam binding thus the confusion. Bias binding tape is usually cotton or poly cotton fabric cut on the bias and folded once or double folded and placed over a raw edge to enclose it. It is a sturdy but fairly heavy finish often used on pillows and craft projects. Seam binding ribbon is made from rayon, a natural fibre made from paper, and was traditionally sewn on to a tricky to hem edge such as on a curved A line skirt hem to make a smoother, lighter and easier edge to hem while still enclosing the raw edge to prevent fraying.

Stamp simply ribbon store carries TONS of colours of seam binding ribbon and I've found their prices to be reasonable tho not necessarily cheap. Bias tape comes from any craft or dollar store.
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2013, 08:38 PM   #21  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca EdnieView Post
Bias binding aka bias tape and seam binding ribbon are very different. Bias binding can be used as a type of seam binding but seam binding is a technique, a way to enclose a raw edge to prevent fraying. Lots of people shorten seam binding ribbon to seam binding thus the confusion. Bias binding tape is usually cotton or poly cotton fabric cut on the bias and folded once or double folded and placed over a raw edge to enclose it. It is a sturdy but fairly heavy finish often used on pillows and craft projects. Seam binding ribbon is made from rayon, a natural fibre made from paper, and was traditionally sewn on to a tricky to hem edge such as on a curved A line skirt hem to make a smoother, lighter and easier edge to hem while still enclosing the raw edge to prevent fraying.

Stamp simply ribbon store carries TONS of colours of seam binding ribbon and I've found their prices to be reasonable tho not necessarily cheap. Bias tape comes from any craft or dollar store.
Rebecca did a great job explaining this!

I prefer the seam binding ribbon since it's more flexible for me, and easy to color with reinkers or alcohol inks. I bought my last couple of rolls from CTMH, 10 yds for $6.95.

Good luck with your search and purchases.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2013, 03:23 PM   #22  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Ha ha! The reason I love using seam binding is because the ends DO fray! It just looks so great on vintage or CAS cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2013, 07:15 AM   #23  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

What technique do you use to color your ribbon? I am always wondering if some mediums work better than others? Is it a problem to use distress reinkers, or do they bleed since they are water based? Not that cards usually get wet, but I wonder if color would rub off if someone touched the ribbon. Please share what techniques and products you use and any tips you have for success and what to avoid. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2013, 07:19 PM   #24  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by annie*View Post
What technique do you use to color your ribbon? I am always wondering if some mediums work better than others? Is it a problem to use distress reinkers, or do they bleed since they are water based? Not that cards usually get wet, but I wonder if color would rub off if someone touched the ribbon. Please share what techniques and products you use and any tips you have for success and what to avoid. Thanks in advance!
You can use re-inkers, pads or sprays and be successful.

When I first tried this I Googled "Coloring Seam Binding Ribbon" and found lots of examples. I got myself a bag of cheap rubber gloves and set off to try some. Depending on what results you want, i.e.: dark or light, wrinkled or not, you can use the ink pad, push the ribbon along the pad with a dauber, your fingers, a piece of plastic wrap, etc., until you get it the shade you want. Let it air dry or heat set dry it with a heat gun and you're good to go. If you want it wrinkled, wad it up while wet and heat it. You can use tweezers to help hold it together while you dry it.

When I used the various sprays, I did those on a craft sheet and it was pretty easy. Again, if you don't like the wrinkled look, you can iron it afterwards. I've never had the color rub off yet. Some sprays with the sparkle and glitz can be rather lovely when colored!

With reinkers (dye or alcohol), you can put a few drops, depending on how much or little you're coloring, in a sandwich baggie, and I usually dilute it with a couple drops of water. Add your ribbon, and rub it around until you get your desired color. If needed add more color. Again, if you don't like the wrinkles, use an iron after it's dry to straighten it out.

Hope this helps with how to custom color your ribbon. You can see why I prefer to buy the white and match it to my project, it's really not that hard! and it's fun..... Good luck, hope you enjoy it too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2013, 05:08 AM   #25  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for the great tips!
Reply With Quote Likes