Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-14-2013, 09:51 AM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tape sliding off edge of my ATG, why?

I just got the pink ATG gun. I loaded it and have been having no trouble using it however I now (after a few days) noticed that the tape is slipping off the edge of the both rollers (the small ones that stick out of the front, including the one that applies the tape). I opened the case and I can see that the roll of tape is properly locked into the front wheel, but the roll itself has risen up so that is higher at the outer edges. Is this a bad roll of tape? I know there's an ATG thread here, but I don't want to read through the whole thing to see if anyone has asked about this.

I'll attach some pictures:

Tape sliding off edge of my ATG, why?-atg-gun-loadedb.jpg

Tape sliding off edge of my ATG, why?-atg-gun-front-rollersb.jpg
In the second one you can see how the tape is slipping off the rollers. Then in the one where I have the case open you can see how the roll is cupping upward towards the edges.

Thanks for any help with this.

Last edited by Rachelrose; 03-14-2013 at 09:58 AM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2013, 10:19 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think this is a "newbie" problem. I noticed when I first got my ATG this would happen. Try holding the gun more perpendicular when you use it and that should stop the tape from moving toward the edge of the roller. If the roller isn't sitting flat on the surface when you roll the tape on, it pushes the tape off to the side.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2013, 10:33 AM   #3  
Glitter Guru

Okay. That makes sense. So the tape roll rising up at the edges thing isn't anything to be concerned about? Maybe by not holding the gun correctly I caused the roll to do that. I'll have to go use the gun and watch what I'm actually doing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2013, 10:34 AM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Your problem may be you don't have your black thing over your take up reel. See the attached picture. I forget to put this back on all the time too.
Attached Thumbnails
Tape sliding off edge of my ATG, why?-img_0356.jpg  

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2013, 10:54 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

No, I did have it on. I realigned the tape on the front rollers and pressed gently down on the tape roll to flatten it down. Then I ran some tape around manually with the case open. This seemed to restore the tape roll to a flatter state.

Ideally, how close to the edge of that front roller (the applicator) is the tape supposed to be? Near the outer edge or more towards the middle? My tape roll does not lie absolutely flat against the thing in the gun it's mounted on. That affects where the tape passes over the rollers.

This is a riot! I worried so much about whether to get this thing or not because I thought I'd hate the size of it. Weeks of anguishing. Wondering how I would make the transition from my little Snail!

Then when I got it I adapted to it very easily. And now this nutty snafu!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2013, 11:15 AM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Here is what mine looks like
Attached Thumbnails
Tape sliding off edge of my ATG, why?-img_0357.jpg  

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2013, 11:42 AM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I had same problem and then the tape tore in half. The ATG has been sitting on the table since Dec as I have no idea how to tell DH to fix it. I know there is a learning curve to this thing. But I can't figure out how to use it. Wish I never bought it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2013, 11:56 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by STYXROCKSMEView Post
I had same problem and then the tape tore in half. The ATG has been sitting on the table since Dec as I have no idea how to tell DH to fix it. I know there is a learning curve to this thing. But I can't figure out how to use it. Wish I never bought it.
I had a roll tear on me when I was first learning how to use it, too. I just pulled enough tape through to stick it onto the take-up reel and start again. You have to remove the "sticky" from enough tape to be able to get an "un-sticky" section to thread through, but it wasn't hard to do at all. Sorry if that's clear as mud - sometimes I have a hard time with getting words to match the pictures in my head...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2013, 11:59 AM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Oh, that is really helpful, Mary. Between what Cat said and seeing your gun, I think it's a matter of my learning to hold the gun at the proper angle. If the tape is supposed to be at the edge as in the picture, I understand why working with it on the wrong angle would be enough to nudge it off the roller like mine did.

What kind of tape are you using, Mary? The acid free? If so, does it ever stop smelling? I am using the non-acid-free.

I am going to have to be more mindful when I'm using it until it becomes second nature. STYXROCKSME, don't give up! If I would have kept going as I was, my tape would have torn also. Does your gun need actual mechanical fixing or just reloading? If it's just reloading, you can do it yourself with some help - there are a number of YouTube videos that explain it really well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2013, 12:32 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
Okay. That makes sense. So the tape roll rising up at the edges thing isn't anything to be concerned about? Maybe by not holding the gun correctly I caused the roll to do that. I'll have to go use the gun and watch what I'm actually doing.
Rachel, I can't find the exact blog post where I saw this "fix" for your problem with the tape, but the gist of it is:

Take a piece of sturdy cardboard, like from a cereal box. Make a circle the size of the tape roll, just roughly shaped, doesn't have to be perfect. Cut a hole in the middle, and place it over the roll of tape in the gun. It will lay there, and keep your tape from creeping up all around the edge.

I think the gal in the blog used part of an SU ribbon spool, which was already the right size circle and had the hole in the middle. I just made my own, and it really works to stop this problem when I have it.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2013, 12:41 PM   #11  
Gabfest Goddess

Don't give up, the more you use it you will love it. You might look thru some threads were they talk about ATG guns, there might be more help there too. When ever I replace a roll of tape, I always have too refer to the instruction. I use the tape that Michael's sells, buy only when I have a 50% off coupon or coupon on my phone then I stock up if I have two coupons to use

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2013, 01:09 PM   #12  
Glitter Guru

I'm not going to give up! I am going to try your idea, Bugga!

I really like the ATG, and I'm happy I got it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2013, 01:30 PM   #13  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default atg tape

I just have one other suggestion for either now or in the future- ok 2....1. I buy my tape non acid free through the tapedepot..either on line or through ebay- I will never use the scotch brand again- and all my girls that have bought the pink one that comes with some, threw theirs out. Cheaper and way better in my opinion. 2. make sure that the roll is all the way down on the "loading spindle" the roll may click under the tab, but make sure you spin it around until it seats itself on the tab on the actual round flat disk. Clear as mud?
good luck
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2013, 01:37 PM   #14  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Rachel, your tape looks like it's riding a little high on the front roller. As the previous poster mentioned, make sure that it has clicked into place and is firmly seated. When you are finished applying the tape, release the trigger before you pull the ATG away from the paper. Try not to twist it at all. I know it probably sounds complicated, but you will get a "feel" for it. Keep practicing, and you'll soon get the hang of it. Then you'll wonder how you ever managed without it. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2013, 07:51 PM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

I had issues when using some tape I bought off of eBay and remedied it by using a piece of one side off a roll of my Stampin' UP! Ribbon. I posted it on my blog with pictures, if that helps. ~ Pam

airbornewife's stamping spot: The shim I use in my ATG's

--English writer G. K. Chesterton (1874-1936)

~*BLOG*~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2013, 08:39 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by airbornewifeView Post
I had issues when using some tape I bought off of eBay and remedied it by using a piece of one side off a roll of my Stampin' UP! Ribbon. I posted it on my blog with pictures, if that helps. ~ Pam

Pam, I'm so glad you posted, so I can give you credit since I posted your tip earlier in this thread. It works like a charm. I put your blog in my favorites so I can refer folks to it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2013, 04:09 AM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Yup, I was ready to throw away the gun until I found the tip which airborne wife has just shared! Make sure you get the cardboard tucked under the little black tab to hold it securely over your tape. After about six months, my cardboard got a little gummy, and I I threw it out and used the other side of the cardboard from the SU ribbon reel. As soon as I see my tape slipping off the edge, I know to immediately open it up because the cardboard has slipped. I tuck it back under the tab, and it is fine again. That is the "fix" for this problem with the pink gun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2013, 05:25 AM   #18  
Glitter Guru

This TOTALLY works! Thank you, Bugga, for remembering this tip and thank you SO much, airbornewife, for linking to your post with the pictures! I used a piece of thin cardboard, cut out a circle with a Nestie, trimmed one edge so I could get my 1 inch circle punch in the middle and then stuck it on. Then I used the ATG to put together a card, and the tape is now riding in the right place!

Yay! Problem solved. Once again I ask myself: What would I do without the SCS community? You guys are the best.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2013, 10:55 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

This TOTALLY works! Thank you, Bugga, for remembering this tip and thank you SO much, airbornewife, for linking to your post with the pictures! I used a piece of thin cardboard, cut out a circle with a Nestie, trimmed one edge so I could get my 1 inch circle punch in the middle and then stuck it on. Then I used the ATG to put together a card, and the tape is now riding in the right place!

Yay! Problem solved. Once again I ask myself: What would I do without the SCS community? You guys are the best.
Hooray, Rachel! So glad it worked for you. And I agree about the SCS community. They are the best on the whole big internet.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2013, 12:05 PM   #20  
Glitter Guru

Now my only question is: Why did I wait so long so get this thing? It's absolutely great :-)!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2013, 01:10 PM   #21  
Stampin' Fool

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I used the plastic from one of my packages of Nesties. I cut two circles with the hole in the middle and place them both on the tape roll. I have never had them 'sag' or get gummed up. You would think that they would add this piece to the ATG to make it 'PERFECT' wouldn't you? I love mine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2013, 01:22 PM   #22  
Glitter Guru

Even better! I will try that!

Now I need to know exactly which tape to order from Tape Depot. They seem to have several for ATG's.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2013, 02:21 PM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

wow, i will try the ribbon cardboard thing. i was having problems with the red ATG...bought the pink one. read that the tapedepot has defectives rolls once and awhile. i emailed them and they sent replacements...but i bet that cardboard is a good fix ! it is very frustrating to say the least.

MY BLOG: www.mugsycreates.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2013, 09:06 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Even better! I will try that!

Now I need to know exactly which tape to order from Tape Depot. They seem to have several for ATG's.
Rachel, here is the tape I always order. It is from Tape Depot, but from their ebay store it is cheaper than their regular website, and you get free shipping:

12 Rolls Craft Tape ATG Photo Tape 1 4" x 36yd | eBay

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2013, 05:36 AM   #25  
Glitter Guru

Thank you! I have it bookmarked for when I need to order (Soon!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2013, 11:04 AM   #26  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Thank you! I have it bookmarked for when I need to order (Soon!)
This is where I order from. I think its the same company, but is seems to be a little over $3 cheaper off the website and you get free shipping when you buy $50 worth of stuff - so that would be 2 x 12 rolls. Its acid free, so if you do scrapbook, you don't have to worry about it. I like this tape and have been using if for quite a while. Nothing has fallen apart yet with it.

http://www.thetapedepot.com/cart/com...art/Itemid,25/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2013, 11:19 AM   #27  
Glitter Guru

Do you guys notice an odor with the acid free? I bought a 2 pack of both with my ATG and I found that the general purpose (non acid free) is odorless, while the acid free has a chemical smell. I'm trying to air it out on the porch! Both were Scotch brand.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2013, 03:14 PM   #28  
Hardware Hotshot

Glad that the post was helpful. Thanks Bugga.

Happy Crafting Everybody!!!

Blessings~ Pam

--English writer G. K. Chesterton (1874-1936)

~*BLOG*~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2013, 11:44 AM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by airbornewifeView Post

I'll have to check this out-thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2013, 12:42 PM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 104 Likes on 81 Posts

Gayla, sometime when you're at Wegs, drive a little further and I'll show you.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2013, 04:09 PM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

you have a tape gun? Who knew
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2013, 01:54 AM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 104 Likes on 81 Posts

I do. Shhhhhhhhhhhh.

Reply With Quote Likes