View Single Post
Old 03-04-2013, 06:16 AM   #41
imthenoni
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashjoy View Post
Love the stop watch idea!

I decluttered 2 garbage bags of clothes from the spare room yesterday. I repurposed some sweaters to throw pillows, well one anyway. Any crafty ideas for sweaters? Or old clothes?

Now to get someone to make a trip to the thrift drop off. I did put them on Craig's list first with no takers, so they are going.
For the sweaters, I saw recently on Pinterest? someone using the sleeve cuffs as hot cup cozies. You could either sew them together and have them slide kinda like you get at the coffee houses or put buttons on them so you can use them with a cup that has a handle. Super cute.

You could also make a colorful throw or lap blanket with sweaters that coordinate. Just cut the body part, sew them together in some random pattern but on a quick backing, if you'd like and use the sleeves as the binding.

For the other clothes, if they are your kiddo's clothes and you really liked the outfits sew the entire outfit to a quilt top to make a quilt. If you have, or know someone who has, small children who are learning to button, velcro, zip, lace, tie bows use those parts to make a small quilt with just those parts and twadaa you have a present already made.

I made one similar to that by cutting the parts I needed and sewed the pieces through a quilt layer (plain fabric topper, light batting & backer fabric) with a zig zag stitch. It made a cut impression on the back side as well. To get the lace-up part take a button-up shirt and cut the side with the holes in half and sew them side-by-side then add ribbon that you tack down at the base so it doesn't come loose and get lost. It was lots of fun for both of us.