View Single Post
Old 03-01-2013, 12:51 PM   #50
janeenk
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramomma;20034993 [COLOR="Red"
]First me let say...you must have some firm butter to need such a knife!
[/COLOR]

Second...we call them Boxelder bugs (the winter version doesn't have the deep red-orange color)

Here is a link (MN of course!) for more explanation. I had 2 in the kitchen window yesterday-it is getting warmer than below zero so they must think spring is right around the corner!

Boxelder bugs : Insects : University of Minnesota Extension

I don't notice that they stink when I kill them but they do leave a discharge on places as they walk so when I see where one might have traveled I wipe it.

Vacuuming them does kill them...

Asian beetles...I DO NOT VACUUM those...I learned that from other people's experience! Multicolored Asian lady beetles : Insects : University of Minnesota Extension
I just knew someone would comment on that, well on that side of the kitchen in the mornings we just use whatever is handy

this dude looked more narrow than the one you posted but i do think it is the same critter. our box elders here though, that look like the one in the pic, are not nearly as long as this guy was. he was a good inch long. the legs and eyes look the same so maybe they are a kind of variety. or maybe he grew a LOT from fall to spring. blech! I did not notice an odor when i killed him, not like when we kill those kind that look like they are a shield. those STINK when you squish em. Anyway, we had horrible amounts of the box elders this past fall so likely he is one of them. Never saw them in the spring before. or winter for that matter! Thanks for the lesson.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!