View Single Post
Old 03-01-2013, 09:17 AM   #45
kramomma
Lives in a fishbowl
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeenk View Post
In honor of VSN, when i went to get my cup of coffee this a.m., this dude was sitting on the knife we had used for butter. He scared me! WHAT was he doing there? What is he? Never saw no creature like that before, he was hard shelled. Anyway after the pics i sent him to bug heaven. didn't like the looks of him at all. Must be SPRING!!
First me let say...you must have some firm butter to need such a knife!

Second...we call them Boxelder bugs (the winter version doesn't have the deep red-orange color)

Here is a link (MN of course!) for more explanation. I had 2 in the kitchen window yesterday-it is getting warmer than below zero so they must think spring is right around the corner!

Boxelder bugs : Insects : University of Minnesota Extension

I don't notice that they stink when I kill them but they do leave a discharge on places as they walk so when I see where one might have traveled I wipe it.

Vacuuming them does kill them...

Asian beetles...I DO NOT VACUUM those...I learned that from other people's experience! Multicolored Asian lady beetles : Insects : University of Minnesota Extension