Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-11-2013, 01:01 PM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Anyone sorry they unmounted.

Today I started unmounting some of my Stampin' Up sets. I started with the All Year Cheer sets. Then I started thinking that I might regret it.:(

Anyone sorry they unmounted and why?

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2013, 04:29 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Un mounting stamps

Hi Heather! I un mounted mine a while ago and still have a few to do! It was a long process and while doing it I thought "Connie, what are you crazy??!!" I had well over 100 to do! Not to mention the single stamps. I can say I have no regrets. It does save A LOT of room. I like using my stamps on the clear blocks. When I buy any stamps now, I try to get them in the clear/acrylic type.

HTH!
Connie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2013, 05:12 AM   #3  
Watercolor Wizard

My regret is that I put too much glue on the unmounted stamps and if I don't take them off the block immediately after stamping the clear overlay gets stuck to the block and its s mess! If I really didn't just love these sets (retired or not) is toss them and start over. There isn't much of a market to sell the old wood mount sets once people try the unmounted.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2013, 05:29 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am glad I did....much more room
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2013, 05:59 AM   #5  
Kookie Creator

Lynn L - can you wash the glue off and lightly re-glue?

I unmounted mine and LOVE IT!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2013, 07:17 AM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Honestly, I unmounted ones I dont use a ton and I am glad I did! It saves space (A LOT!) and they were stamps I didn't use too much anymore but didn't necessarily want to get rid of. I also unmounted my wheels and my background stamps. I have also left a lot on the wood blocks (like birthday and Christmas, the two I tend to use the most) but yes, when I buy any I go for unmounted stamps. I do not regret unmounting the ones I did, but haven't been able to bring myself to unmount my most used sets yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2013, 07:37 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by muzbysmomView Post
My regret is that I put too much glue on the unmounted stamps and if I don't take them off the block immediately after stamping the clear overlay gets stuck to the block and its s mess! If I really didn't just love these sets (retired or not) is toss them and start over. There isn't much of a market to sell the old wood mount sets once people try the unmounted.

When unmounting, you do not need to use glue. I use a product called tack n peel. This goes right on the block. You just take your bare rubber stamp and place it on the block with the tack n peel. There should be some videos on you tube that will show you how this works. So easy to do, no glue, no muss or fuss! HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2013, 08:32 AM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I have no regrets now. When I was mounting the urm XXXXXX of stamps I had I did wonder what I was doing, had I gone clinically insane. I actually got sore fingers from the constant rubbing of the remaining glue off the back of the stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2013, 05:15 PM   #9  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by connie leoneView Post
When unmounting, you do not need to use glue. I use a product called tack n peel. This goes right on the block. You just take your bare rubber stamp and place it on the block with the tack n peel. There should be some videos on you tube that will show you how this works. So easy to do, no glue, no muss or fuss! HTH!
Tack n peel is my favorite method to use. I tried Aleene's Tack-it Over & Over glue but didn't like it at all. Before I discovered Tack n Peel, I regularly used removable double sided tape I put TnP on most of my acrylic blocks, because I mostly have "necked" rubber. But I also have several plain mounts for the few cling mount stamps that I own.
Dea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2013, 05:21 PM   #10  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by StamperDeaView Post
Tack n peel is my favorite method to use. I tried Aleene's Tack-it Over & Over glue but didn't like it at all. Before I discovered Tack n Peel, I regularly used removable double sided tape I put TnP on most of my acrylic blocks, because I mostly have "necked" rubber. But I also have several plain mounts for the few cling mount stamps that I own.
Dea
Dea, I'm sure you know this but thought I would mention it anyways! Most of my stamps are naked rubber as well, but I also have a lot of clear ones too and for those I just use the other side of the block, thus not needing to buy more blocks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2013, 06:22 PM   #11  
Kookie Creator

So glad I did. I still have a few to do, but well worth it. It save mega room! Just as easy to use , if not easier.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2013, 07:52 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

No regrets here. I love how they're stored in the SU DVD boxes. I made label inserts with images on the spine for ease of reference. And I love how they stamp using the acrylic blocks. No regrets what-so-ever.

Quote:

Originally Posted by muzbysmomView Post
If they're too sticky, I pick up a bit of lint from my clothing to decrease the tackiness. Works quite well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2013, 08:14 PM   #13  
Crimping Master

No regrets here. In fact, I find them easier to locate in my stash as they are now stored flat and in with my acrylics. I'm also less likely to rock them on acrylic blocks than I was on wood, probably because I can see the edges are being pressed down and I get my placement better.

The down sides I've noted are:
You need to stamp a fresh acetate each time you want to use a stamp-a-ma-jig
You need to make sure you keep track of the really little ones and put them back on their sheet because they can be lost more easily in the piles of paper, ink and pens on my desk. :oops:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2013, 01:03 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

For those who are using bare naked rubber, how do you store them? I am still in the process of unmounting and while I still have foam to use to put on some, I haven't decided if I want to invest in using it on all of my stamps. I am not sure on how to store th bare ones of I go that route..any suggestions?
And no regrets on unmounting. Already did wheels and backgrounds...saved so much space!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2013, 02:39 AM   #15  
Mad Swapper

What I have done for storing my bare rubber stamps is fairly easy. I stamped each image on card stock (cut to 6X6) laminated that with my hot laminator then on the other side I used poster tape (double sided tape) and place the stamp on the tape. This has worked well for me no stamps falling off! I then place that in a CTMH 6X6 envelope!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2013, 01:26 PM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I watched a Youtube video on Tack and Peel. One question, without the cushion, how well does it stamp?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2013, 04:00 PM   #17  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by justampinView Post
I watched a Youtube video on Tack and Peel. One question, without the cushion, how well does it stamp?
I use a thin sheet of fun foam as a base and have no problem with stamping the images. They come out clean.

stamp block
card stock
copy paper
fun foam
table
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2013, 07:00 PM   #18  
Compulsive Stamper

Absolutely no regrets! I'll never go back.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2013, 08:59 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYstamperView Post
For those who are using bare naked rubber, how do you store them? I am still in the process of unmounting and while I still have foam to use to put on some, I haven't decided if I want to invest in using it on all of my stamps. I am not sure on how to store th bare ones of I go that route..any suggestions?
And no regrets on unmounting. Already did wheels and backgrounds...saved so much space!
I have a ton of bare naked rubber, and I store them all in the SU wood-mounted plastic clamshell cases. For the big stamps, like the backgrounds, I just store them as is. For sets with tiny or normal-sized stamps, I cut sheets of cheap cardstock to match the size of the designated clamshell, and put the sets on that with ATG tape. I mean, I lay out the stamps on the sheet, then I get out another sheet and using the stamp layout as a guide, I lay down rows and columns of tape with my ATG gun. Then I stick the stamps on there.

Oh agh, first though, I stamp the stamps onto the other side of the cardstock with cheap ink, so I don't have to "reverse" imagine what the stamp will actually look like stamped, especially with the word stamps.

I can fit six sets in one clamshell.

If money was no object, I would've used clear cardstock instead of paper cardstock for the sheets. But I had a LOT (A LOT) of stamps to unmount; it would've cost a fortune to buy enough clear cardstock (not just the clear flimsy projector sheets, but good solid clear cardstock).

To the OP: My only regret is that I didn't do this 15 years ago. I have NO other regrets. I knew it would save a lot of space, but it absolutely boggled my mind when I was done and saw for myself, in real life, how much space it saved. Bookshelves and dresser drawers gone!! All of my stuff fit into my desk area!!!!! The word "amazing" is simply not adequate to describe my awe at how much space I saved.

Also, I now found that I could take massive amounts of stamp sets to my real-life stamper friends' homes if I wanted! In a small tote bag instead of say, a suitcase.

I'll try the tack-n-peel on my blocks. I've been using ATG tape on my blocks, but that doesn't work real well, and every now and then I rub ALL of it off and start over.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2013, 03:43 AM   #20  
Swapper of the Month February 2013

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts

I unmounted - all the way down to bare rubber - and have no regrets! It saved a ton of space and space is limited for me. When I stamp, I just use a mouse pad under the cardstock and I get great images all the time. Heather, once you get over the shock of what you're doing and start seeing the space you save and how easy it is - you'll have no regrets! Just think - now you'll have tons of space to fill with other stamping stuff! LOL!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2013, 05:30 AM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

My collection has been unmounted for about eight year & I love it! I used to have major storage issues. I kept outgrowing my storage & it became costly. I only have one regret & it's that I unmounted my word & greeting stamps. Some of them are really hard to read backwards! I caught myself pretty early on & kept them mounted. I also left about 12 background stamps mounted for display on shelves. It's the best space saver I've ever had. JIL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2013, 06:21 AM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

! Just think - now you'll have tons of space to fill with other stamping stuff! LOL!![/QUOTE]

That's what I'm afraid of!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2013, 01:19 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Nope. Never. Not once.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2013, 02:45 PM   #24  
Embossing Fanatic

Default getting the glue off stamps you unmount...???

Quote:

Originally Posted by jukieView Post
actually got sore fingers from the constant rubbing of the remaining glue off the back of the stamps.
THANK YOU. I thought i was the only one. I have some that came off with a little rubbing and 30 seconds. I have a ziploc bag of ones that are NOT coming off... anyone have a clue what to do now???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2013, 08:14 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by missy3840View Post
THANK YOU. I thought i was the only one. I have some that came off with a little rubbing and 30 seconds. I have a ziploc bag of ones that are NOT coming off... anyone have a clue what to do now???
I went ahead and just stuck those on the sheets. Then over time I would fully rub and clean each individual stamp as I needed to use it. Not a real solution if you want them all done right away...sorry.
Maybe you can just carry them around with you and rub while you wait in line or in a doctor's or dentist's lobby, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2013, 07:19 AM   #26  
Glitter Guru

I have been unmounting mine the last couple weeks. Just a few more to go. I put the thin layer with the image on the rubber, and then put tack it over on them. I went to our local office supply and got the clear sheets. I cut them to size, and I use my clam shells to put them back in. I mount them on the inside bottom, inside lid, and put the clear sheets with stamps on both sides on the inside. I can get 6-8 sets in each box. Now I have lots of space. Glad I did it.
Proud to be a fan club member. #67069
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2013, 05:07 AM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Thank you for replying. I have already unmounted the backgrounds and wheels and store them in the containers, hadn't thought about using them for the smaller ones!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2013, 09:48 AM   #28  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't need to be convinced to unmount and I don't have many to unmount - 95% of my collection is already cling and clear. But my stash of wood mounts is slowly growing (I occasionally fall in love with something that only comes on wood, and also people who know I stamp have started bringing me bags of stamps from yard sales and there are always a few treasures among them) so I want to do it now before I have too many. As it is, they are poorly organized and so I end up not using them.

I don't know if I want to do bare rubber or get EZ mount. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. First, I want to get the stamps off the blocks. I've watched the YouTubes and read up on it here and it seems like lots of people use the microwave. So you just use your kitchen microwave? The same one you heat up food in? Really?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2013, 10:00 AM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

I never used the microwave. That would've added SO. MUCH. TIME.

Actually, I DID try the microwave. It just heated up the stamp, but didn't make anything come off that wasn't already off (was trying to get the foam remnants off). Maybe I didn't put it in there long enough.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2013, 10:11 AM   #30  
Glitter Guru

So what did you do to remove the rubber from the wood and foam?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2013, 06:06 AM   #31  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by StamperDeaView Post
Dea
Justampin,
I unmounted before it was the 'popular' thing to do. I lived in a small apartment and had to consolidate. I purchased the foam with the cling on the back; tried to stazon the image on the cling part, align it with the stamp... ugh. And even so, I ended up doing the 'double sided tape' routine just like StamperDea above.

Not only am I unmounted, I'm going 'necked' too- just bare rubber. I've never tried the TnP, but I might.

I don't regret being unmounted so much that I'm going all the way to just rubber (necked). Use a little cushion under your paper when you stamp. I did that anyway no matter how the stamp is mounted.

Good luck with your decision. I hope you find a solution that works for you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2013, 06:09 AM   #32  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
I know you didn't ask me directly, but I can share what I've done.

You can microwave it for a few seconds (stand there and watch it; I'm talking like 5-sec intervals here) until you can peel the foam and stamp from the wood.

If you are going bare rubber, sometimes you can peel the rubber from the foam without microwaving.

When I get a new SU clear set, I just pull the rubber from the foam- it comes off very easy.

I wonder if SU will ever feel the pressure to offer just the rubber (no cling or foam). Remember when we thought they would never offer a clear mount option?... Hmmmmmm.......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2013, 06:26 AM   #33  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by missy3840View Post
Try to use goo be gone or even better yet, the stampers solution works great. Be sure to wash your hands with warm soapy water when you are done and apply a good moiisturiser. This worked for me when I un-mount my stamps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2013, 03:31 PM   #34  
Kookie Creator

Excuse my ignorance, but why do you go down to just rubber?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2013, 12:19 AM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
I just peeled it off. If the foam stuck to the rubber, I would sometimes patiently work it off by rubbing and rubbing more with my fingers. However, halfway through the unmounting, my fingers got very sore because of this. So I started to just put those stamps on the sheets anyway (as if there were no foam still sticking to them. Then in the following weeks and months, I would rub and roll off the foam whenever I needed to use a stamp that still had foam stuck to it. This saved my fingers from blistering, BUT I do still have stamps that still have foam remnants on them. Not a very good system, but I can tolerate it.

MOST of my stamps came off the wood and foam nicely and neatly, without any fuss though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2013, 12:24 AM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ccrops123View Post
Excuse my ignorance, but why do you go down to just rubber?
I would go down to just rubber because with foam, the foamed stamp is still a little more than twice as thick as just bare rubber. I do have a drawer-full of stamps with the foam, but they came like that, and I was too lazy to do anything with them yet, mostly because they still fit in my current set-up. But if I start running out of room again, I know I can always unmount the cling stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2013, 12:26 AM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyGirlView Post
I wonder if SU will ever feel the pressure to offer just the rubber (no cling or foam). Remember when we thought they would never offer a clear mount option?... Hmmmmmm.......
I know it's a long shot, but I'm still holding out hope that they'll offer clear photopolymer stamps. If nothing else but for their alphabet sets and two-step stamping sets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2013, 05:45 AM   #38  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Unmounted my stamps a few years ago and store in CD cases grouped by subject matter. Yes, I even split up SU sets - have never had a regret about doing it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2013, 04:21 PM   #39  
Crimping Master

I think the foam would take up imperfections in the surfaces of the wood mount or underneath your paper so you still get good contact all over.

I have some CeeDees from ages ago, which are naked rubber and came with a firm piece of foam to stamp on.

After trying them, I had no problems with leaving my remaining rubber naked.

Advantages to me...
1. saves money buying mounting foam
2. saves time re-mounting on the foam
3. saves space as I can fit 2 layers of stamps in a CD case instead of just 1 (which is what cling stamps take up. Even clears are thicker than most naked rubber :lol: )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2013, 07:12 PM   #40  
Matboard Maniac

Smile

I too have unmounted all my wooden stamps. I have never regreted doing it. I am pleased with all the space I have now (dh says it is just to I can get more for my affliction). I have all of my in the dvd cases that Stampin Up sells. The sets are store into a dvd rack. They are much easier to transport this way too. I really don't think there is a right or wrong way to do with your stamps. It more important that we have fun using them.
Reply With Quote Likes