View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013, 04:43 AM   #4476
Illinois Marge
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose View Post
I'm sorry, Marge. Do you have memories of Uncle Chuck? I mean, was he someone who was around the family when you were growing up, etc. Family dinners and all that? I saw more of some than others in my family.....
Yes, I have good memories. He and my Aunt Amber (my dad's oldest sister) had moved to Florida in the 50's because of her severe allergies. Back then the drugs weren't as good to control seasonal allergies.

They visited PA annually, each summer and after we moved back there from Honduras, they stayed with us on their annual visits because we had a guest room. He was a very nice, gentle man. They had one grown son who served 2 tours in Vietnam and had PTSD and worked off and on as a security guard till he died a few years ago. That broke their hearts.

After I moved to IL in 1980, I saw him every 2 or 3 years at the family reunion. Recently the last time I saw him was at my Aunt's funeral, about 6 years ago. He became to frail to travel. But his remaining friends were in FL so he stayed there in a Veteran's nursing home. I do have one cousin in Cocoa Beach and they would go to Orlando monthly to see him, and his 2 VFW friends stopped in every few days. They say his mind started going a year ago and he signed a no extraordinary measures form (no feeding tube, etc). This I just found out about yesterday.