View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 03:28 PM   #4443
muddy otter
Directionally Challenged Parrothead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinois Marge View Post
My weight issue is like an addiction. I think people who do not struggle with food and weight have trouble understanding that. The stereotype that fat people are lazy, dumb, trailer trash -- well I can say I'm certainly not lazy and dumb! What makes me overeat? Maybe I should see a therapist instead of WW. *Sigh*
I think part of the problem--for all of us--is processed foods plus lack of exercise. One thing that helped me was reading several articles in Mother Jones over the years and a couple of Michael Pollan's books and several other studies about how we've turned food, and in particular, animals, into industrialized production output. For one thing, in the push to increase the yield of meat on an animal, we pump cows and pigs full of hormones to pump them up and restrict movement to keep muscle from toughening. Cows, which are ruminants who naturally eat grass, are fed corn, which is far cheaper--but which their digestive systems are not designed to tolerate, so we need to pump them full of antibiotics so they can bulk up on a cheap food they weren't ever meant to eat. So you produce a more tender meat partly by marbling it with fat (some of which would be burned off through exercise in animals that roam for forage) but mostly by artifically manipulating the animal's biology to turn the cow or pig into a weight gaining machine. To maximize profit you use the cheapest possible feed.

Basically we have cheap meat and dairy because of animal cruelty on a hugely efficient industrial scale. A lot of industrial food producers and vendors are now campaigning on a huge scale to roll back USDA Organic certification criteria because as people have tried to eat more organic food, they've seen a new vector for profit--but stringent rules for organic make it tough to do things cheaply. I've always respected that part of what makes mean kosher or halal involves dealing with the animals and their slaughter for food in a humane manner, to ensure they feel no fear. I think that's a very fair way to live in gratitude for our nourishment. I think it's kind of interesting how what's best for us, animals and the planet in general is not what maximizes profits, although the flip side is that industrializing production has allowed people who would not have been able to afford meat 50 or 100 years ago to make it a regular part of their diet.

I guess when I think about things in those terms, and in terms of staying fit, I tend to eat better and keep my weight down without thinking about it in terms of dieting, and over the years, that's worked way better for me than thinking about what I can't have or have to limit. Maybe I should write a book about the geopolitical, anti-cruelty diet... Sigh.

Plus the more I exercise the more I crave salads, protein, and fresh veggies. It's just that pushing myself back into that cycle is hard. I guess kind of like getting a bicycle back up and rolling from a standstill as opposed to just keeping the movement going. And having to do it pointed uphill.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!